Canfor Employee Reviews

Very good place to work with work/life balance
Kiln Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, BC27 January 2018
Very good place to work with work/life balance. Competitive pay and benefits. Good team environment with a commitment to quality. Highly recommend working here.
Canfor is B.C's #1 employer
piler (Current Employee) –  Wynndel, BC9 September 2017
Canfor is an awesome company to work for, pay good, co-workers good, benefits good, management good, safety culture good, 4 days on 3 off good, tones of jobs to apply for internally good,they move the stat holiday to give you 4 day weekends which is wicked, solid place to work, the other folks on here slamming this place are full of b.s, hard work is respected and recognized in this company, i think it is a great place to work, couldn't be happier.
Pros
4 day weeks, pay, benefits, co-workers happy, management easy to approach
Cons
the only con is i wish i started working here years ago.
Know someone higher up or you're just an easy to replace number
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC4 July 2017
Was a valued employee worked graves for 6 months before making the switch to production. Was always praised for being the employee they went to for work to get done, once my "usefulness" wore off the amount of immature and outright harassing treatment began. A year and a half later since being wrongfully terminated and still recovering from the financial stress. Management is horrendous with "safety first" being preached but rarely practiced, and if caught in the crossfire of something happened your hide will be first to be thrown to the wolves to save their own skin. Seniority will often be ignored to bring on friends and push them through to higher paying positions before they're even hired on 30 days. Hopefully the company as a whole operates better than this sad excuse of what should be a professional workplace.
Pros
Fair wages, in town
Cons
Management, unprofessional, backstabbing
Interstng
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Radium Hot Springs, BC22 November 2017
The management team at the Canfor I dealt with were and still are very unprofessional people.
It if it were not for the USW you would not have the great salary and benefits that the workers received. The brothers and sisters that work here are amazing people and really make it worth going to work everyday.
Pros
co workers and the union
Cons
managment
Production becomes before safety
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Houston, BC29 July 2013
There was absolutely no enjoyable aspect to working for this company, other than the wages and benefits. They stress safety when you are in the hiring process, but as soon as you step foot on the production floors, the safety goes out the window. Production numbers come before human safety. Seniority only works in your favor if you are on good terms with your supervisor, if you are not in their favorite books, be prepared to get the worst, and hardest jobs in the mill, even if your a dedicated hard worker. In one single month, my good friend had his right leg completely crushed by a 900 pound role of paper, and in the same month a mill wright had his fingers cut off in the planer, as a foreman stood and watched the mill wright working in an unsafe environment, but did not stop the mill wright until it was to late.
Pros
Money
Cons
Long hours, dangerous, very unappreciated work
Great place to work.
Millwright Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC21 April 2018
I really enjoyed working at Canfor. The apprenticeship program was excellent and the staff were great to work with. Management was always helpful if you ever needed anything they were always very willing to listen to what you had to say and ready to help. If it hadn’t been so far away from my family and friends I would have stayed there for my whole apprenticeship.
Pros
Great pay and awesome training.
Cons
Too far away from everything.
Some Good, Lots not so good
Various Management Positions (Current Employee) –  Various BC10 November 2016
As company has grown, many of the previous positive aspects have been replaced with what would be expected with large, slow moving, company focused on appearance rather than substance or results.

Public relations and "spinning" of results have become the norm and while there is lots of talk about the value of employees, safety, etc, the actual effort applied to these "core values" are small.

Compensation is reasonable, but there is a constant erosion of benefits and expectations of longer hours, etc
Pros
Salary
Cons
Most other things
Good job
Forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC5 September 2017
Considering you don't need any form of education to work at Canfor its a great job because of the salary. The work is repetitive and can be tough on the body but you have decent benefits
freemason cult running the place
Pipefitter/Steamfitter (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC16 October 2017
to say that canfor management are human beings would only be half correct. They profile for egocentric individuals who will preach safety and practise manipulation and lies to support a convoluted sense of employer/employee relationships. As mentioned in previous reviews the culture of safety exist only for PR ...the reality on the floor is down right scary. As a long term employee I have witnessed the deterioration of what was once a very good place to work. It would be so nice to see people both union and management....rediscover their souls.
Pros
fair wage work schedule
Cons
freemason cult dominates management structure
Company doesn't walk the talk
Middle Management (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC7 March 2018
The corporate culture is supporting bullying and abuse regardless of the official communication. CANFOR leadership doesn't walk the talk it puts out and try to promote.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Abuse and resistance to change
Overall, it was okay. It paid well, but management was poor.
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Elko, BC10 March 2018
It was an okay job. I didn't care much for waking up so early. The pay was great, but management staff was disorganized. The job was decent. Not many complaints.
good overall place to work
Buyer/Warehouse Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC31 January 2013
Sawmill - Industrial Environment. Warehouse conditions. 1 person handles bothe warehouse ordering and stocking, shipping and receiving.
Pros
great hours and benefits
Cons
location - living i the north - cold climate
Stay far away !!
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Radium, BC18 August 2017
I worked as a Millwright in the Radium mill. Management is some of the worst I have ever worked for. No maintenance planning or parts available expect you to just get it done. Management changed my shift on me constantly with little to no notice. Management points the finger at anyone just to pass blame there motto is "work now greave later". To top it all off it is very unsafe working alone all the time equipment is all falling apart. They say safety is number 1 but I was not trained on anything and left to figure it out from day one.

Moral was also very bad everyone is unhappy there. I would say stay away not worth relocating.
Pros
good pay
Cons
everything
Good culture
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Elko, BC26 September 2017
a good place to work, friendly people who are easy to get along with. (both hourly and management included)

In the past year we have seen two different shift schedule changes, it is making me crabby! A lot of people pretty cheesed off about that. However management is "trying" to work with us but you can't please everyone all the time.
Pros
friendly co-workers, good pay
Cons
management not as proactive as one would hope...
Challenging to advance
Operator (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC24 January 2017
Management can be okay if you're doing what needs to be done that being said there's no trust between employee and management! this job is for someone who's starting out in the industry. wages are not the greatest if you have a family! it's not a career type job wages are low! they preach safety first but its production then safety! bottom line if you're desperate and hurting for a job take this!
Pros
Cons
management! wages! task! cross shift will leave you shafted!!!
this is the adjacent pellet plant not the sawmill side
no comment (Former Employee) –  chetwynd pellet plant12 July 2016
This position is offered for the pellet plant not the sawmill side. Through CENLP ( CANFOR AND PACIFIC BIO) .

That being said. I would not recommend applying to work for them unless your desperate. The managment or there lack of is atrocious. There are NO supervisors, the communication lines between staff are non existant, there are no defined job duties and your workload changes from shift to shift at times with no warning, leaving one to discover the hard way.

As far as the longevity of the pellet plant goes, things are not.looking good with the way its run.
Avoid if.possible
Pros
OT available, pay for ticket courses (fall arrest, etc) union staff are friendly
Cons
management, no morale, no trust, no communication, no on site first aid/first aid room
Follow established policies and procedures to ensure a safe work environment and a fun workplace.
Maintenance Utility (Current Employee) –  Chetwynd, BC14 March 2015
A typical day at work is completing safety awareness, focusing on our job and followed everyday work routine. I've learned lots of things like how to handle, operate and maintain machines in order for it to function properly. In management, I can say they are just and fair in handling employees and they cater to our needs and also I enjoyed working with my co-workers,they're fun to be with which makes our work lighter and easier. The hardest part of the job is when machine malfunctions and needs to be fixed and there is a target goal to be reached and also with the time pressure to get things done.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when we are always ahead of time, production and everything.
Pros
Overtime and Free lunch or dinner
Cons
Unpaid working overtime hours if forgotten by supervisors.
Canfor Isle Pierre
Production Job (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC21 August 2014
I have been there 30 years. I have seen many changes. It was a good place to work at at one time. I have had 6 bosses in 5 years. That all think they are better than their employees. You can't be a successful company if not for your employees. Bosses and employees play games against each other. Not a very good environment to work it. Lots of pressures on employees and no resources. Every employee doing a job half.
Employees get hurt on the job and the company don't take responsibility for there actions.
You dont want to do a job where you are vulnerable because of age. I recommend that young employees get a education. And not work here. Canfor is better at other operation I hear. The fiber and log size is falling. This mill will be closed one day.
Pros
It is a job
Cons
Bus ride, horrible highway in winter, high turn over in employees; lack training and respect employees, unreasonable pressures on employees, Management downloading responsible on employees, Bosses dont manage
Productive workplace
Process Engineer Co-op (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC22 June 2017
Very productive company with knowledgeable engineers and operators, however the company needs better management and the work culture is not very friendly. The company strictly monitor employee's internet usage instead of focusing on their actual performance.
Worked with good people in chetwynd. They expect alot but what employer doesnt. Over all a great place to work.
Forklift driver (Former Employee) –  Chetwynd B.C.6 January 2017
Was a great place to work. Work hard, be a team player, keep your mind on your job, don't get caught up in the bs that goes with every job, and it's a good job. Overtime is always welcome in my book. Overall a winner!
Pros
Close to home. Good foremans
Cons
In the middle of nowhere

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canfor. Our community is ready to answer.