Canfor

Canfor Employee Reviews

You'll put in your hours with some graveyard shifts and lots of hard work but they compensate you nicely. I would recommend this company for any who have good work ethic.
If you are looking for a long term job that takes and takes, then this job is right for you. If you are looking to give your career to a toxic environment, then this job is for you. They will push and push and push you to meet their demands while ignoring your mental, physical well-being. YOU are NOT important! You are just a dog!Many have given their best working years to Radium Canfor and received NOTHING in return. Just Stress and poor health. NOT Recommended!
Pros
good pay
Cons
Stress, toxic work environment.
I worked for canfor as grave-yard clean-up personnel. The job was very physically demanding, I had to be able to lift well over 100 pounds when lose boards would come of the line. You have to be able to clean building sized machines if a short time frame. The job was financially rewarding, but I didnt get to see the sun for the duration of my time there. It is difficult to find a workplace and lifestyle balance.
It’s a great job , I just wasn’t great at it. I would have like it a lot more if it wasn’t swing shifts of days and nights back and forth, I had a hard time sleeping in any kind of circadian rhythm
Pros
Good money, great training, benefits.
Cons
I had a hard time with the 4am shifts
As the project coordinator on an HR - Payroll project, I connected with some of the key executives in the company and worked with the PMO. I was very impressed by the quality of the staff and management, very high caliber.
It’s a unionized job- there are always issues with management and union. Most of the management sucks as they themselves are slacking- have poor management skills, non trustworthy, unplanned, no proper direction to the team, and lots of favouritism among themselves and whine they like. This is where union plays a vital role in u getting what u deserve. Good people in union but some are retiring soon. Overall no growth opportunities for anyone unless u are a family member
Really enjoyed the work, busy, high energy environment. Direct Supervisors seemed to reward bad behavior rather than correcting it which caused problems with production and cost effectiveness and more importantly moral. Placed production numbers over safety concerns in actual day to day working environment. Mill Manager is excellent though. Always knew my name and stopped to speak to me as if I were a person rather than a piece of equipment.
Blind idiot management...ruined a good company. Turn a successful profitable pulp-mill into a money-losing venture. Useless baglickers. Very dangerous...will suck your will to live
Great entry level job, it allowed to pay for my extra expenses as a high high school student. Paid well. It was fun because most of my friends work there. But you gotta stay active to work there.
Not worth my time listing their deficiencies but I have to write something so long story short, stay far far away from this place. Beautiful area but that's the only perk and it wont be beautiful much longer once Canfor is done trashing the place.
Solid place to work, good work and home life balance. Supportive of commitments outside of work, opportunities for advancement and generally a good morale between all employees across the departments.
just a number and so are you.... we slave to make money for the powers that be. for nothing more then scraps, and when the market goes soft we are left to fend for ourselves. not even willing to take the slightest loss before they tuck tale and run like the cowards they are. absolutely no teamwork here. sickening really.
Canfor uses a lot of contract people which result in a very corporative atmosphere but the quality of the executive staff is amazing, extremely professional and effective, resourceful and goal oriented
Worked there for roughly six years first year lumber prices went down they gave the boys 10+ weeks off and took all overtime and opportunities away place has gone to the dogs
Right type of person can advance and quickly gain experience in multiple sectors. Learned how to operate multiple pieces of fixed as well as large heavy mobile equipment
Worked with other mechanics as well as alone. Needed to prioritize work schedule as needs arises. Interacted with operators when issues with machine operations failed or deteriorated. Communicated with operators and supervisor's to relay information to status of machine up times and pass over at end of the shift.Kept a clean shop. Preformed preventative maintenance on mobile equipment. Had respectful and meaningful rap-or with co-workers.
Union job. Excellent pay. Health and dental benefits. Great people to work with. Excellent opportunities for advancement. The greatest working experience in my entire life.
Its a production only matters oriented work place .. Treat all the skilled tradesmen like feces... Safety has hit an all time low here... Never have parts or a plan. I can see why they have shut down most of thier plants.. Never have money for proper repairs.. Always just a bandaid.. But upper management always gets their large bonus..
Working at Canfor has been productive, instructive and a fun place to work. All staff is friendly and helpful with any questions about work. Excellent place to work.
The management team are spineless and will stab you in the back any chance they get. They don't really care about safety and turn a blind eye to most safety rules. Except wearing gloves. And when you bring up safety issues you get in trouble.
Downright terrible! Management at Northwood terrible. The Chief Engineer is a low life. 80 percent of salary staff would push you in front of a bus. Stay away. You will thank this post!
  1. Employee reviews