Canem Systems Ltd Employee Reviews

Not a good learning environment
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 June 2018
A lot of favoritism. Constant threat of lay offs. Lay off rumors started by foreman to get more production out of people. If you spend all of your time in the office instead of workig diligently, you will have a chance to advance within the company. You will do the same job multiple times on cost plus jobs. Company makes more money this way. Remand center was 500 million over budget and the electrical or data/Com fails constantly. Nait LRT had a ton of Electrical problems too. As an apprentice you will be learning from subpar electricians.
Pros
Stable company
Cons
Short breaks, little tools or supplies provided.
Good company
Third Year Apprentice Commercial Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 May 2018
This company has awesome people to work with and for. They are very large so job security is pretty good if you can prove yourself. The salary is about typical for a journeyman in calgary.
Pros
job security
Productive workplace
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 May 2018
Good company to work for. They don't tend to push their guys too much like other electrical companies. Great management and job culture. Learned a lot about fire alarm systems
It was good; I am no longer interested in this feild.
Canem Systems Labourer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 May 2018
The overall rating is 50% the job security was good. I was satisfied with the benefits. There would be a barbeque some Friday's. I was unaware of how physical the job was; I used to be interested in this field. I would not return if given the opportunity. 50% on overall rating is because I am not interested in this field.
Atmosphere
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 May 2018
Canem Systems was a great place to work. I was able to build a large skill set during my time here as there was plenty of opportunity for career advancement.
good
bad
Awesome Company
Electrician Foreman (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB24 April 2018
Canem was a second family for me. They take really good care of their guys and I was proud to work for them. One of the great things about Canem is how they supply tools for the jobs other companies do not provide, such as drills and drill bits.
Great pay
Cabling Installation Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 April 2018
It says it all in the title great pay and benefits i enjoyed working for them but if you are not a lead or only come on for a project you will get laid off cause they have a good core of people.
Encourage long term employment for hard workers.
Senior Estimator - Edmonton Division (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 March 2018
Job site culture , organization and management is above average. Nepotism can be contentious. Large work sites, can be somewhat impersonal. Commercial electrical construction work.
Pros
Large job sites monthly free lunches.
Cons
Can be ridgid about following company policies and rules.
good place to work just wasn't enough work to last
general forman (Current Employee) –  Alberta15 March 2018
getting work orders ready every morning
managing the crews on work ability
making sure work quoties were met for the day.
learning the different ways of work that each company had and finding ways of improving them.
Good part time job
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Alberta10 March 2018
Seems like a okay place if you have a second job or are semi-retired. Favoritism plays a big roll to get any extra hours if you are not hand picked you will need a part time job.
Pros
They supply power tools, benifits
Cons
Not many hours and low rate.
good people to work with
Electrician 4th (Former Employee) –  northern alberta10 March 2018
a challenging and goal oriented company to work with. new skills and advancement was welcome and encouraged by management. working with people from many cultures was was a welcome learning experience.
As a single mother this company was a blessing
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2018
I worked here for under a year and despite my needing certain special treatments they continued to employ me and help to further my career. They were flexible with my start time and understanding of days off needed to care for my children long before they legally needed to be. They have great conflict resolution methods between coworkers and management and really do work hard for those who work hard for them
Pros
Great management, Great conflict resolution, Lots of overtime available, Highly invested in their employees
Cons
Typical harsh construction environments
Productive fun diligent team
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 January 2018
Canem was always great to me. I worked with them on a few different occasions. one time it landed me in the arctic circle up in Inuvik. that was a pretty cool experience. you really get to know some of the guys well when you're in situations like that. overall I enjoyed Canem. I was going through some personal challenges when I got laid off from Canem, & the company I felt was doing the same. Hoping one day maybe we could consider working together again soon.
Pros
Great productive team
Cons
sometimes longer hours, but its a lot easier with a great crew
Excellent company to work for
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 December 2017
I worked for Canem on a few different sites. Never had an issue with any of the management. As a female electrician this was one of only a few companies I can say that I was treated fairly, and equally. I would apply again if the opportunity arose.
good work, good team, shortage of hours.
Electrical Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB12 December 2017
would have been nice, if honesty was there. was disapointed after driving 1500 miles for work something i've always wanted to do. now im laid off, can't apply on EI and now seems like my dream has been ripped away from me.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
shortage of hours
Challenging, fast-paced employer with a family feel and many rewards
Journeyman (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC30 October 2017
Canem Systems Victoria is an excellent place of employ for enthusiastic individuals who possess a hunger for knowledge and physical challenges. With many talented and experienced individuals in their employ I would strongly recommend any apprentice seeking employment to place Canem Systems high on the list of pursuits.
Canem also offers a variety of work environments each bringing there own challenges and rewards in a continuous learning package.
One must earn ones place which may not always be easy, but once earned the rewards of that "family" feeling are well worth it.
Emphasis is on quality, efficiency and last but not least safety as it should be in any company, again being rewarded with safety awards as accident free hours accumulate.
Pros
Excellent pay, benefits and support network.
Cons
Can be demanding in many ways
I worked with a lot of really good, talented people
Electrical Service Foreman (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 October 2017
Canem at one time used to be a customer service company where everyone knew each other, helped each other. the it became corporate and everything suffered, the work and customer relationships became sub standard and cheap to make a better dollar
Professional Electrical Company
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 October 2017
Not much different than most electrical companies. But they are professional.
You get paid on time, good benefits, and a safety program that works better than most.
Employees association
Construction Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 September 2017
Good work environment, proactive management that supports employees with flexible work schedules. Gainfully employed with them for 5 plus years, hope for more in the future.
Fair company to work for
1st and 2nd period commercial electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 September 2017
I worked for Canem for about 2 years. They where a good company to work for and took care of their workers for as long as they could given the slow down in the present economy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canem Systems Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.