Canem Systems Ltd

Canem Systems Ltd Employee Reviews

Ok place of employment.

Project was faced paced for a hospital construction. Workers tended to get pigeon holed, not much variety. Lack of room for advancement unless you were with the "Old boys club". Expect lay offs as soon as the slow down is on its way. Management is not concerned with who they lay off, as long as it was not their buddies. On the posative side the longer term journeymen were more helpfull than the foreman.

Pros

Overtime, rrsp match, benefits (Merit Group), the odd lunch provided

Cons

Negative culture, not inclusive.

Love It

I love working for Canem. It’s one of the more diverse companies I’ve seen so far. There are a lot of benefits offered that other companies don’t even consider (benefits, safety awards, etc). Everyone I’ve worked with has been great so far and I’ve been here almost two years.

Pros

Lots of new experiences, good benefits, friendly coworkers

Cons

Can be a touch of a clique environment with some of the long term staff

Good people at the Pre-fab shop

You will be treated fairly and learn from Journeyman and foreman with appropriate guidance. I didn't have to feel like I'm rushing into the tasks most of the time since the plans were well organized and prepared. Also, the Journeyman I worked with answered my questions when I have any doubts so I could learn more and do my job right.Overall, great company to start the apprentice if you are committed to your work.

Pros

Great workplace culture

Terrible place to work unless you’re in the boys club

Weekly layoff threats, never sure about any work coming up. Only the foremen can think, everyone else’s opinion doesn’t matter. Never any constructive criticism. If you’re not in the boys club you aren’t welcome. Also pay into “association fees” for absolutely no reason. If you don’t know anyone don’t apply it’s not even worth your time.

Cons

Foremen, boys club, poor treatment

I hate the review!

It was a ok place, lots of nepotism, most of the Forman’s and supervisors are all related. So very hard to move up in the company. Have to be careful

all in all not terrible

Canem wasn't the highest paying company out there but for the most part they took care of their people. The site foreman I worked under was a really good guy and I would work for him any day. I worked on the same site for over two years and eventually was let go when they had to bring over more senior people from another site that had finished.

It is very easy to work with canam. Staff and workers are very helpful.

all Canem workers are like your friends and help you to understand the job situation and finish them properly. Their pay rate is very good and work time is very flexible.

Pros

Nice and helpful staff.

Cons

No cons for me.

Great environment to work in.

Worked as a service electrician. Was provided with all the tools and time needed to get the job done, in a safe and productive manner. I would gladly work for Canem systems again in the future in either the service or construction divisions.

Pros

Great management

Cons

Lack of work at one period during my experience.

good company

best part of the job was the guys out in the field working with me. learned a lot of different things from every single worker the had. great company to work for

stay away

people that make 35 an hour get a 50 dollar tax free fuel allowance a day. While the guys making a little more than minimum wage get nothing. a bunch of politicians who want to start arguments over stupid things everyday mainly involving their precious hazard assesments, which are nothing but a tool to take liability off the company and place it on the worker. STAY AWAY.

Great Work experience

My favorite place to have worked in my lifetime, great coworkers and bosses that seem to be more friends then workers, and a real tight knit crew that gives off a family vibe.

Decent place to complete apprenticeship

Decent company to complete your apprenticeship. Hard to advance to any meaningful positions. Average wage and working conditions. Big jobs are the brunt of their projects.

meh

Canem has an old saying. "hire em today Canem tomorrow" foreman's are always a hit or miss. If you missed, be prepared to be thrown under the bus. Good benefits.

Good company with great guys

Canem Systems is a great company with good employees in the field and the office that have many years of knowledge and experience under them. Safety is a huge priority for this company.

Management is mixed, but overall a good experience

Working with Canem was one of the better jobs I've had in the past, and I'd certainly recommend it: +Good benefits +Provided quality certification training like fall arrest and WHMIS; but it took a while, and they don't do it unless there are a lot of workers that need the stuff +Most of the people I worked with were awesome, and it seems like Canem does a decent job of putting together good teams and separating bad ones. +Typically the foremen/supervisors I worked under were helpful, friendly, and I feel like I learned a decent amount here +Pay is pretty standard, but there was plenty of overtime when things were busy, and they were generally okay about taking time off as necessary. -It's probably pretty standard for companies like this, but there were definitely some hotheads, micro-managers, and general ball-busters among the higher-ups that I feel pretty fortunate not to have worked with on the regular -Some of the aforementioned individuals had no issues letting employees know how replaceable they were, and job security is pretty tight when there's not much work on the go, but that part's nothing unusual -There's some favouritism going on and if you're chummy with the "inner circle", you're definitely better off in the company. -Seems like those in charge of hiring/firing overvalue numbers that look good on paper like maximum hours worked, and undervalue quality work and team dynamic.

Great company

Good company with a good salary, sites are always run safe, with an emphasis on the employees safety. The employees are professional and the office staff is always available for assistance.

Nepotism Alert

I enjoyed the job I was lucky enough to be placed in, but never was recognized for my skills and talents enough to continue working in what I thought would have been a perfect environment. This was because my foreman was ten years younger than me and didn't care to ever ask about my past job experience, and assumed that I was just some loser who started his apprenticeship ten years later in life instead of someone with a university education who got sick of working in an office. Regardless, not the company's fault. But overall, the company was not the greatest corporate environment for career growth anyways, as it was ripe with nepotism and buddy-buddy cliques.

Great hard working company

Fast paced environment with great foreman who recognizes good workers. When work picks up folks get the opportunity to become foreman easily. Union job!

Company is meh

They promised long term work, laid me off for personal issues at home. Seemed cliquey and they had troubles keeping materials stocked for jobs and due to the way the company is run they wouldnt allow you to go out and get what you needed from wholesalers without board approval, inconvenient when trying to complete a job in a timely manner

Moving forward to an ever changing work climate

Canem System's has a pretty standard work week. 40 hours a week, with expected overtime when required. I didn't learn much to be honest. Most of it was pretty standard commercial stuff as you would expect to see. I never really dealt with the higher management of Canem System's, however their foreman/lead hands were very much a mixed bag. Poor leadership can really break an employees spirit, this can stay with an individual for years leaving them bitter and requiring therapy. However on the other spectrum there were some really great leaders who lead through example and integrity. These are the types people who should be in leadership positions. The culture is pretty typical of any company of its size. The hardest part has always been towards dealing with Canems leadership. As a company this large it should be really do better by its employees. The best part of the job are the workers. I have nothing but respect for what they can endure on a daily bases.

Pros

breaks, rewards, food

Cons

management depending on jobsite and leadership

Awesome company with truly great people to work with

Completed my 4 year electrical apprenticeship with Canem Systems. I enjoyed the entire apprenticeship and learned lots from some great mentors along the way.

Pros

Great people, paid well with benefits and RRSP plan

Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canem Systems Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement