Canem Systems Ltd Employee Reviews

Good company. Enjoyed the small crew.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 September 2018
I started my Electrical apprenticeship with Canem back in 2006 and was placed on a team that had ongoing renovation contracts with a select hospital/university.

Our two managers were very good at their jobs and had an ability to both teach you anything you wanted to learn, whether it be installation practices, tips or estimation/leadership questions.

The workplace culture with other Canem employees was very good. I was able to build relationships with this crew, feel connected, supported and trained properly. I can't recall ever having a bad day (other than not being able to grasp something) and always had support above or alongside me.

The hardest part of the job was in the initial stages, as a 1st and 2nd year apprentice, learning everything at once.

The most enjoyable part of this job was the care, compassion and helpful nature of all employees and management. I didn't feel afraid to ask a question. I felt like everyone was there to help each other succeed.
Pros
Great Crew. Work/Life Balance. Job Stability.
Cons
Interacting with University Students was sometimes a bit of a task
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 September 2018
Had a great time working for canem met great people and made life long friends . Was envoled with alot of new and exciting constuction projects learning a multitude of new skills
Pros
Top wages
Cons
Work
good company
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB13 September 2018
good company, decent pay and benefits, lots of opprotunity. management at times can be lacking in terms of not treating you as just another number. all around, no real complaints
Pros
bbqs, benefits, good pay
Cons
large company, inconsistent
Union
Electrician, Design (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 August 2018
They are a big company that was run good before it got bought by Canem Systems the estimators dont bid on jobs properly so if everything gets done right the first time without any complications and goes really smooth and organized there is room for a little profit but when does that happen!
Pros
Union
Cons
Organized chaos
Casual work environment
Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  BC8 August 2018
Decent place to work and good hours, every Friday is a half day.
Attire is semi-casual and a comfortable work environment.
Salary isn't great and there isn't much room for growth.
Not a good learning environment
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 June 2018
A lot of favoritism. Constant threat of lay offs. Lay off rumors started by foreman to get more production out of people. If you spend all of your time in the office instead of workig diligently, you will have a chance to advance within the company. You will do the same job multiple times on cost plus jobs. Company makes more money this way. Remand center was 500 million over budget and the electrical or data/Com fails constantly. Nait LRT had a ton of Electrical problems too. As an apprentice you will be learning from subpar electricians.
Pros
Stable company
Cons
Short breaks, little tools or supplies provided.
great place to start an apprentice ship
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 June 2018
The Prefab method that they use is a very practical and important way to start an apprentice ship, you gain the knowledge of the basics of using tools and the trade in general, all in a supervised environment. most of the guys that I worked for and with were excellent. The problem was with the office management, they over hire when work is getting good and scramble to layoff when work slows down, not a ton of job security as a young apprentice, however that is also the climate of the industry right now due to the economic downturn
Pros
good learning environment
Cons
poor office management
Good company
Third Year Apprentice Commercial Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 May 2018
This company has awesome people to work with and for. They are very large so job security is pretty good if you can prove yourself. The salary is about typical for a journeyman in calgary.
Pros
job security
Productive workplace
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 May 2018
Good company to work for. They don't tend to push their guys too much like other electrical companies. Great management and job culture. Learned a lot about fire alarm systems
It was good; I am no longer interested in this feild.
Canem Systems Labourer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 May 2018
The overall rating is 50% the job security was good. I was satisfied with the benefits. There would be a barbeque some Friday's. I was unaware of how physical the job was; I used to be interested in this field. I would not return if given the opportunity. 50% on overall rating is because I am not interested in this field.
Atmosphere
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 May 2018
Canem Systems was a great place to work. I was able to build a large skill set during my time here as there was plenty of opportunity for career advancement.
good
bad
Awesome Company
Electrician Foreman (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB24 April 2018
Canem was a second family for me. They take really good care of their guys and I was proud to work for them. One of the great things about Canem is how they supply tools for the jobs other companies do not provide, such as drills and drill bits.
Great pay
Cabling Installation Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 April 2018
It says it all in the title great pay and benefits i enjoyed working for them but if you are not a lead or only come on for a project you will get laid off cause they have a good core of people.
Encourage long term employment for hard workers.
Senior Estimator - Edmonton Division (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 March 2018
Job site culture , organization and management is above average. Nepotism can be contentious. Large work sites, can be somewhat impersonal. Commercial electrical construction work.
Pros
Large job sites monthly free lunches.
Cons
Can be ridgid about following company policies and rules.
good place to work just wasn't enough work to last
general forman (Current Employee) –  Alberta15 March 2018
getting work orders ready every morning
managing the crews on work ability
making sure work quoties were met for the day.
learning the different ways of work that each company had and finding ways of improving them.
Good part time job
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Alberta10 March 2018
Seems like a okay place if you have a second job or are semi-retired. Favoritism plays a big roll to get any extra hours if you are not hand picked you will need a part time job.
Pros
They supply power tools, benifits
Cons
Not many hours and low rate.
good people to work with
Electrician 4th (Former Employee) –  northern alberta10 March 2018
a challenging and goal oriented company to work with. new skills and advancement was welcome and encouraged by management. working with people from many cultures was was a welcome learning experience.
As a single mother this company was a blessing
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2018
I worked here for under a year and despite my needing certain special treatments they continued to employ me and help to further my career. They were flexible with my start time and understanding of days off needed to care for my children long before they legally needed to be. They have great conflict resolution methods between coworkers and management and really do work hard for those who work hard for them
Pros
Great management, Great conflict resolution, Lots of overtime available, Highly invested in their employees
Cons
Typical harsh construction environments
Productive fun diligent team
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 January 2018
Canem was always great to me. I worked with them on a few different occasions. one time it landed me in the arctic circle up in Inuvik. that was a pretty cool experience. you really get to know some of the guys well when you're in situations like that. overall I enjoyed Canem. I was going through some personal challenges when I got laid off from Canem, & the company I felt was doing the same. Hoping one day maybe we could consider working together again soon.
Pros
Great productive team
Cons
sometimes longer hours, but its a lot easier with a great crew
Excellent company to work for
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 December 2017
I worked for Canem on a few different sites. Never had an issue with any of the management. As a female electrician this was one of only a few companies I can say that I was treated fairly, and equally. I would apply again if the opportunity arose.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canem Systems Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.