Canem Systems Ltd
Happiness score is 73 out of 100

Working at Canem Systems Ltd: Employee Reviews

Canada179 reviews

foremanjourneymanapprenticeguyelectricalsafetysiteproject

Good Company, but very little long term prospect

Good people to work with, very friendly and supportive atmosphere. Possible room for advancement if you know the right people. They tend to take the biggest jobs but they only tend to keep the core people that work for them, everybody else is expendable or a short term employee

Pros

Good pay, good work, good experience, friendly people.

Cons

Lack of work and lack of commitment.

Don't expect you to do more than you know

They make sure you know what you're doing before you are given a task. They are generally okay to work for but are slow right now. The management they have right now is concerning. Very short on jobs as of this review.

Insights into Canem Systems Ltd

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Fair pay for job

8 years and counting

I have worked with the company since I was a 2nd year apprentice. If you can demonstrate competency and good work ethic you will have no worries about gainful employment.

Great place to learn but not stay

Amazing company with a lot of great workers. But at the end of the day you are just a number. If you are good on the tools there is no reason for them to move you up. No raises and you will be laid off with no notice. Seems like an industry standard but if you're looking to move up and have job security I wouldn't work here.

Pros

Good people

Cons

No room to move up, lay offs without notice

It's Just Another Union Company

Worked here as a union pre-app in 2021/2022. Learnt a good deal about electrical trade at a prefab shop. The site experience was not too terrific, cause I was always left on my own flying blind. Perhaps, a typical situation in construction. In general, it was Okay.

Good Place to Work and lots to Learn as apprentice

Worked on many sites, for many foremen, with many different people. After 5-6 years, I can't think of anyone that I couldn't get along with. Good pay, pretty decent benefits. No security, but that is normal for large construction companies. Since I worked in many sites, including schools, hospitals, data centres and many more, as an apprentice I just needed to show my willingness to learn new things and I had great experiences.

Seems alright so far

Pay is competitive, supplied power tools which is nice. Definite boys club, better fit in. Seems like they are running out of work.

Pros

Good pay, good benefits

Cons

Get moved around a lot, boys club

Productive and rewarding Company

Safety is top priority at this company.Great life work balance and quality workmanship would highly recommend them to anyone and stay with them as long as you can!

Pros

Rrsp

Overall I have nothing bad to say. I enjoyed my time there. The guys I worked with were all great. I learned a lot while I was there and would recommend canem to anyone.

Used to be good but with new parent co it's not a good place to be anymore

Used to be a great company to work for but with lots of changes happening from parent co, it is mismanaged and full of red tape. There is a loss in the culture and it's not as good anymore.

I enjoyed working for canem. All people I worked with were great and office staff is great too.

Working for canem was a good experience. The crew/ foremen were great to work with. I would go work for them again in a heart beat if they had work for me.

One of the best companies.

Worked here for 4 months and one on the best companies ive worked for. Great ppl and everyone is human not company drones. Decent pay for commercial work.

Pros

Home every night. Good pay.

Cons

Different personalities (Trades Thing)

Job

No real training for what you do and left to figure out the job on your own. All on line based filing system that changes alot of the time. No support from management.

Pros

Good hours

Cons

No support

Good people, good jobs, bad wages.

Canem is a good company to work for. They have okay benefits and the people you work with are great. However the main problem with Canem is that they give little to no overtime and haven’t given out a raise in 10 years. Starting out at this company is a good way to get lots of experience but don’t expect to get rich.

Sometimes you can get lost in the email chains. But a decent place to work. Not a lot of training- learn a lot on the fly. Lots of work and a lot to keep you busy- room for advancement and generally great Managers.

Pros

Good coworkers

Cons

Confusing at times

Good company to work for.

Met a lot of good electricians at Canem. I Learned a lot, helped me become a better electrician. Lots of management due to it being a bigger company but was a good place to work nonetheless

Professional atmosphere, great place to work.

Opportunity to grow your skills with an assortment of challenging jobs. Excellent training programs are available to keep you at the top of your trade.

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits

Cons

Sometimes job sites are far away

Horrible Company Horrible Foremans

Started my apprenticeship here and what a bad way to start. You're suppose to have a Journeyman help and guide you and all I got was a high level apprentice with his own tasks to do and was left alone with some check ups here and there. Just me doing plugs and switches alone in suites and getting yelled at on why it's not done yet, everyday.

Pros

Cons

Incompetence

Ok place of employment.

Project was faced paced for a hospital construction. Workers tended to get pigeon holed, not much variety. Lack of room for advancement unless you were with the "Old boys club". Expect lay offs as soon as the slow down is on its way. Management is not concerned with who they lay off, as long as it was not their buddies. On the posative side the longer term journeymen were more helpfull than the foreman.

Pros

Overtime, rrsp match, benefits (Merit Group), the odd lunch provided

Cons

Negative culture, not inclusive.

Love It

I love working for Canem. It’s one of the more diverse companies I’ve seen so far. There are a lot of benefits offered that other companies don’t even consider (benefits, safety awards, etc). Everyone I’ve worked with has been great so far and I’ve been here almost two years.

Pros

Lots of new experiences, good benefits, friendly coworkers

Cons

Can be a touch of a clique environment with some of the long term staff

Good people at the Pre-fab shop

You will be treated fairly and learn from Journeyman and foreman with appropriate guidance. I didn't have to feel like I'm rushing into the tasks most of the time since the plans were well organized and prepared. Also, the Journeyman I worked with answered my questions when I have any doubts so I could learn more and do my job right.Overall, great company to start the apprentice if you are committed to your work.

Pros

Great workplace culture

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canem Systems Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement