Canem Systems Ltd Employee Reviews

Be prepared to be laid off
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB11 May 2019
Good learning curve . Just be prepaid to be laid off. Employees as always are disposable with larger company’s .butni guess that’s aomething to get use to in this day in age
Pros
Cons
Lay off city
Lunch room with microwaves
Journeyman / Lead (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 April 2019
Good apprentices. Lots of fun teaching those guys many of my professional tactics in the trade. Using "How to win friends and influence people" the novel by Dale Carnegie. Great book on learning how to be a calm easy going boss.
Great work enviroment for a woman in the trades!!
Apprentice Electrician (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 March 2019
As the only girl on the jobsite I was treated as a equal to the guys! I never once was made to feel inferior for being a female. Also as a single mom I was always allowed to take care of my kids if they were sick, I was never made to feel guilty if I had to call in to take care of them. As a apprentice almost everyone went out of there way to show me there tricks and tips. Everyone was always willing to answer my questions and go out of there way to make sure I understood. Management recognizes hard work and lets you know they see you working hard . Love this company and hope I can stay on for many years to come.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
lay offs
all good companies
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB18 March 2019
enjoyed working at all those companies and learned a lot at each one. Would work for them again for the right money. Spent a lot of years in various postions with these companies
Pros
good expierence
Professional, Decent company, Good for apprentices
Second year Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 February 2019
Good place for apprentices and journeyman alike. Hard working, smart people. Most journeymen unafraid to take time to teach new guys the ropes. Good comradery between workers. Company is flexible with time off requests. Bigger company, so when projects near completion with no immediate projects to switch to, can be confronted with lay-offs. Would happily work with them again.
Pros
Interesting and challenging work
Cons
Lay-offs at end of projects
Loved every second
Electrical Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 February 2019
Canem systems was an amazing company to work for. Over my 3 years with them i only ever came across 1 or 2 people in the company that were abrasive or rude.
fun workplace
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 February 2019
Fun workplace and great coworkers , good experience, good management , work security is below average , most enjoyable part of the job was getting work done, less enjoyable part, not knowing whether they will keep you or get rid of you. Guys are rewarded based on seniority and not the work they put in.
Pros
good people
Cons
biased
Revolving Door Attitude
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 February 2019
Layoffs and replacements every 2 weeks. No job security keeps moral and productivity low. I have never had a more depressing job. The pay was good. The journeymen to apprentice ratio was great and they focus on teaching apprentices. Office workers have a hard time securing jobs because of the low productivity.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
No job security
life in camp is better if you make it your home
Hand/Tool (Former Employee) –  La Ronge, SK31 January 2019
Great camp life and recreation when in camp. Safety is a number one priority and job locations are always maintained and safe for the current employee and future employees.
Heading the wrong direction.
Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB7 January 2019
Probably the worst company I have worked for in years. Supervision doesn't know all the procedures or how to properly follow them. They tell you to follow procedures when you are hired but that goes out the window as soon as you get to site. If life saving procedures are brought up to supervision they ignore it or lays off the person that brought it up. It's more of take risk and get it done company. This company favours the Calgary staff they bring into town for jobs with higher wages, overtime and leadership roles. Many incidents are swept under the carpet or kept quite such as people getting electrical shocks from circuits that are not locked out and not complete but we're turned on. If these are mentioned it's a laugh. The foreman tell you to pencil whip hazard assessments before the day starts or the doc you half a hour for not filling out safety paper work on your own time. These are supposed to be filled out in your work area but no time for safety. If a local worker takes off any time for appointment s or anything be prepared to work late to make it up. The supervision belittles the locals with remarks to other trades onsite, or picks your work appart till the find something they don't like about it. Like linning up couplings in a wall rough in. They say they won't get out of bed for Lethbridge wage 32 / hr and laugh about it because they are at 39-45 /hr .

I believe this company is going to be involved in a major incident if they don't change there ways.
Pros
Supply some cordless tools
Cons
Low pay and expect the world.
I can guarantee previous reviews must have been office staff trying to find new hires ( obviously)
Journeyman Electrician (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB10 December 2018
Canem calgary supervision enjoy their slaves to the company. Ones that will jump at anything they ask them to do. They do not make safety a priority. Workers are getting electrocuted involved in near misses that has the potential of one day becoming a fatality if they do not correct their way of supervision. They do not care to follow any lock out tag out policies or attempt to set them in place due to the extra time it will add into tasks. previous near fatality were directed by supervision not to mention anything in writing a report to try and keep a higher saftey rating in hope of underbidding the next job. If one does report unsafe work practices within a few weeks that person gets laid off due to shortage of work, while they still hire new employees shortly after. As for the wage. They will pay Lethbridge 32.00 an hour with no overtime, while they choose to bring in favored employees in the company from northern alberta at 40.00. OT and LOA. Beware. If you are a new hire to be hired in Lethbridhe althought from Calgary you will only recieve 32.00 with no OT,or LOA. The calgary staff basically treat Lethbridge like they are of no value, and keep their pay so low with fewest hours to try and make it impossible for any of them to get ahead in life. 32.00 is a comfortable wage, if you have no bills in life lol. you waste your life working here just to make an ammount to pay bills lower class living and hope that bad luck doesnt happen. sick day, vehicle repair, replace stolen tools. Once you get a string of bad luck, The amount they now pay you is no longer enough to stay  more... afloat and you slowly become in debt the longer you are with them. They expect more than whats legal out of a worker, its sad to see so many guys in debt that they are trapped with this company. On a positive note, my experience is the Lethbridge workers are good guys to work with, its sad we get this taken advantage from. If only we had a job stuart to stand up for us that wouldnt lose his job for bringing up what we do

best regards,
Canem Employee Lethbridge
Pros
fellow lethbridge workers, this review is a pro to warn you the truth
Cons
office staff calgary @ lethbridge, safety, unreported incidents, wage, payroll failing to report update hour bank for benefits
Good place to work.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 September 2018
Canem is a great company to work for. Their pay is good and have great benefits. The offering training for fall protection and aerial platform certification.
Pros
Company events
Cons
Good company. Enjoyed the small crew.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 September 2018
I started my Electrical apprenticeship with Canem back in 2006 and was placed on a team that had ongoing renovation contracts with a select hospital/university.

Our two managers were very good at their jobs and had an ability to both teach you anything you wanted to learn, whether it be installation practices, tips or estimation/leadership questions.

The workplace culture with other Canem employees was very good. I was able to build relationships with this crew, feel connected, supported and trained properly. I can't recall ever having a bad day (other than not being able to grasp something) and always had support above or alongside me.

The hardest part of the job was in the initial stages, as a 1st and 2nd year apprentice, learning everything at once.

The most enjoyable part of this job was the care, compassion and helpful nature of all employees and management. I didn't feel afraid to ask a question. I felt like everyone was there to help each other succeed.
Pros
Great Crew. Work/Life Balance. Job Stability.
Cons
Interacting with University Students was sometimes a bit of a task
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 September 2018
Had a great time working for canem met great people and made life long friends . Was envoled with alot of new and exciting constuction projects learning a multitude of new skills
Pros
Top wages
Cons
Work
good company
Journeyman Electrician (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB13 September 2018
good company, decent pay and benefits, lots of opprotunity. management at times can be lacking in terms of not treating you as just another number. all around, no real complaints
Pros
bbqs, benefits, good pay
Cons
large company, inconsistent
Union
Electrician, Design (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 August 2018
They are a big company that was run good before it got bought by Canem Systems the estimators dont bid on jobs properly so if everything gets done right the first time without any complications and goes really smooth and organized there is room for a little profit but when does that happen!
Pros
Union
Cons
Organized chaos
Casual work environment
Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  BC8 August 2018
Decent place to work and good hours, every Friday is a half day.
Attire is semi-casual and a comfortable work environment.
Salary isn't great and there isn't much room for growth.
Not a good learning environment
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 June 2018
A lot of favoritism. Constant threat of lay offs. Lay off rumors started by foreman to get more production out of people. If you spend all of your time in the office instead of workig diligently, you will have a chance to advance within the company. You will do the same job multiple times on cost plus jobs. Company makes more money this way. Remand center was 500 million over budget and the electrical or data/Com fails constantly. Nait LRT had a ton of Electrical problems too. As an apprentice you will be learning from subpar electricians.
Pros
Stable company
Cons
Short breaks, little tools or supplies provided.
great place to start an apprentice ship
Apprentice Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 June 2018
The Prefab method that they use is a very practical and important way to start an apprentice ship, you gain the knowledge of the basics of using tools and the trade in general, all in a supervised environment. most of the guys that I worked for and with were excellent. The problem was with the office management, they over hire when work is getting good and scramble to layoff when work slows down, not a ton of job security as a young apprentice, however that is also the climate of the industry right now due to the economic downturn
Pros
good learning environment
Cons
poor office management
Good company
Third Year Apprentice Commercial Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 May 2018
This company has awesome people to work with and for. They are very large so job security is pretty good if you can prove yourself. The salary is about typical for a journeyman in calgary.
Pros
job security
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canem Systems Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.