Canem Systems Ltd

Canem Systems Ltd Employee Reviews

Canada157 reviews
all Canem workers are like your friends and help you to understand the job situation and finish them properly. Their pay rate is very good and work time is very flexible.
Pros
Nice and helpful staff.
Cons
No cons for me.
Worked as a service electrician. Was provided with all the tools and time needed to get the job done, in a safe and productive manner. I would gladly work for Canem systems again in the future in either the service or construction divisions.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Lack of work at one period during my experience.
best part of the job was the guys out in the field working with me.
learned a lot of different things from every single worker the had.

great company to work for
people that make 35 an hour get a 50 dollar tax free fuel allowance a day. While the guys making a little more than minimum wage get nothing. a bunch of politicians who want to start arguments over stupid things everyday mainly involving their precious hazard assesments, which are nothing but a tool to take liability off the company and place it on the worker. STAY AWAY.
My favorite place to have worked in my lifetime, great coworkers and bosses that seem to be more friends then workers, and a real tight knit crew that gives off a family vibe.
Decent company to complete your apprenticeship. Hard to advance to any meaningful positions. Average wage and working conditions. Big jobs are the brunt of their projects.
Canem has an old saying.
"hire em today Canem tomorrow"

foreman's are always a hit or miss. If you missed, be prepared to be thrown under the bus.

Good benefits.
Canem Systems is a great company with good employees in the field and the office that have many years of knowledge and experience under them. Safety is a huge priority for this company.
Working with Canem was one of the better jobs I've had in the past, and I'd certainly recommend it:

+Good benefits

+Provided quality certification training like fall arrest and WHMIS; but it took a while, and they don't do it unless there are a lot of workers that need the stuff

+Most of the people I worked with were awesome, and it seems like Canem does a decent job of putting together good teams and separating bad ones.

+Typically the foremen/supervisors I worked under were helpful, friendly, and I feel like I learned a decent amount here

+Pay is pretty standard, but there was plenty of overtime when things were busy, and they were generally okay about taking time off as necessary.

-It's probably pretty standard for companies like this, but there were definitely some hotheads, micro-managers, and general ball-busters among the higher-ups that I feel pretty fortunate not to have worked with on the regular

-Some of the aforementioned individuals had no issues letting employees know how replaceable they were, and job security is pretty tight when there's not much work on the go, but that part's nothing unusual

-There's some favouritism going on and if you're chummy with the "inner circle", you're definitely better off in the company.

-Seems like those in charge of hiring/firing overvalue numbers that look good on paper like maximum hours worked, and undervalue quality work and team dynamic.
Good company with a good salary, sites are always run safe, with an emphasis on the employees safety. The employees are professional and the office staff is always available for assistance.
I enjoyed the job I was lucky enough to be placed in, but never was recognized for my skills and talents enough to continue working in what I thought would have been a perfect environment. This was because my foreman was ten years younger than me and didn't care to ever ask about my past job experience, and assumed that I was just some loser who started his apprenticeship ten years later in life instead of someone with a university education who got sick of working in an office. Regardless, not the company's fault. But overall, the company was not the greatest corporate environment for career growth anyways, as it was ripe with nepotism and buddy-buddy cliques.
Fast paced environment with great foreman who recognizes good workers. When work picks up folks get the opportunity to become foreman easily. Union job!
They promised long term work, laid me off for personal issues at home. Seemed cliquey and they had troubles keeping materials stocked for jobs and due to the way the company is run they wouldnt allow you to go out and get what you needed from wholesalers without board approval, inconvenient when trying to complete a job in a timely manner
Canem System's has a pretty standard work week. 40 hours a week, with expected overtime when required.

I didn't learn much to be honest. Most of it was pretty standard commercial stuff as you would expect to see.

I never really dealt with the higher management of Canem System's, however their foreman/lead hands were very much a mixed bag. Poor leadership can really break an employees spirit, this can stay with an individual for years leaving them bitter and requiring therapy. However on the other spectrum there were some really great leaders who lead through example and integrity. These are the types people who should be in leadership positions.

The culture is pretty typical of any company of its size.

The hardest part has always been towards dealing with Canems leadership. As a company this large it should be really do better by its employees.

The best part of the job are the workers. I have nothing but respect for what they can endure on a daily bases.
Pros
breaks, rewards, food
Cons
management depending on jobsite and leadership
Completed my 4 year electrical apprenticeship with Canem Systems. I enjoyed the entire apprenticeship and learned lots from some great mentors along the way.
Pros
Great people, paid well with benefits and RRSP plan
Cons
great people. great for pay if you are at least 4th year or journeyman. bad if you are new apprentice. paid measly wage then spend your measly wages on travel with no allowance while journeyman that live half the distance, get a fuel allowance on top of 35+dollar/hour. very unfair wages. new apprentice is not worth as much as journeyman, but 20+dollar an hour difference is ridiculous. not sure how they expect anyone to live off what they pay.
Pros
great people. good equipment
Cons
new apprentices waste of time.
Had an allergic reaction and was layed off, I wasn't given a chance. No direction for a guy with zero experience. My first day we were all paired off with guys and my senior took off and said he'd be back, 2 hours later I find out he left for another area on the site. The foreman on my site was not helpful.
Good learning curve . Just be prepaid to be laid off. Employees as always are disposable with larger company’s .butni guess that’s aomething to get use to in this day in age
Pros
Cons
Lay off city
Good apprentices. Lots of fun teaching those guys many of my professional tactics in the trade. Using "How to win friends and influence people" the novel by Dale Carnegie. Great book on learning how to be a calm easy going boss.
As the only girl on the jobsite I was treated as a equal to the guys! I never once was made to feel inferior for being a female. Also as a single mom I was always allowed to take care of my kids if they were sick, I was never made to feel guilty if I had to call in to take care of them. As a apprentice almost everyone went out of there way to show me there tricks and tips. Everyone was always willing to answer my questions and go out of there way to make sure I understood. Management recognizes hard work and lets you know they see you working hard . Love this company and hope I can stay on for many years to come.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
lay offs
enjoyed working at all those companies and learned a lot at each one. Would work for them again for the right money. Spent a lot of years in various postions with these companies
Pros
good expierence