Canalta Hotel

Canalta Hotel Employee Reviews

Canada18 reviews
the new manager is not good, or racism. i work more than 3 years at Canalta hotel i learned so many things like office stuff.. the hardest part is the manager she not very good. i'm not happy working..
I was pregnant so it was good for me to be active and always on the go. I enjoy it really, only left cause i was getting harder as i got big. My coworkers were great had lots of help
Pros
Sleep like a baby when you get home
Cons
the rush
I would have shifts from 7:30- 4:00 on weekdays and weekends would be 8:30-5:00. I would arrive and my board for what rooms I needed to do would be ready for me. Staff was amazing to work with. They were all wonderful people. They made me feel like part of the Canalta family from day one
The company cares very much about the well being and improvement of the team members. The environment is very fun and kind, the bosses from the Head Office especially are easy to talk to and fun to interact with.
One of the worst places i ever worked at. The manger would constantly try to humiliate workers/housekeepers, and she was known to bully people until they quit just for not liking them. she one time brought a whistle to a meeting and would blow it at every one that tried to talk because "She needs a whistle to keep the dogs in check."... When HR was contacted they sent head office over, but they did s**t all, they literally told us to sit down, shut up, and get over it. she would tell us if we where sick we weren't aloud to work for 3 days, and then she would right people up for not showing up to work. she would make us do over time and then yell at people for not wanting to do 6 hours overtime to finish rooms we didn't need. and when work was really slow and it was hard getting hours in she wouldn't let us do any spring cleaning ( cleaning mattresses, washing walls, glossing showers, carpets, hallways ect.) we would barely make 150 dollars a week. and then she would force us to do it when we where super busy and get mad that it was done properly or professionally.
I did the night shift, and it was just sitting around doing nothing to keep books in check and checking in and out the same 25 people every night and morning
OSM are mean and this company has very high bullying goes on Management never does anything about it. It really just creates a bad work place managers never stay long
Pros
Nice hotels
Cons
Osm
This location has to bee one of the most poorly run hotels I have ever worked at. My biggest issue is that as housekeepers, whatever problems we had,and would come to my manager would fall on deaf ears.
The receptionist's got to make almost all of the rules and my boss regularly sided with them. If you are looking for actual team work and a positive work environment look elsewhere.
Pros
Paid 1/2 hour lunch
Cons
No guarantee of a full 8 hours a day.
-They see to it that we deliver 100 percent customer satisfaction in terms of stay in the hotel such as providing guest a clean,attractive and quiet place
-They make sure that staff are happy and satisfied
Pros
free lunch, a dollar increase during summer
Cons
Canalta Hotel is popular choice on the West Coast of Canada, the employers are wonderful, the staff is excellent and the benefits criteria is also impressive even for the lower positions.
Cons
Very busy hotel. I learned how to build a budget. Management is supportive and encourages learning new skills. The hardest part of the job was finding appropriate new employees. I very much enjoyed working with the guests and meeting people from all over the world. I also enjoyed the back office paper work such as balancing the night audit.
Working here was great! I had my aunt working with me (who showed me lots of neat tips and tricks), and I made friends with other co-workers I saw in the mornings. Making breakfast and coffee for the CN workers was always fun.
Pros
Calling Coworkers
Cons
not much to do
I enjoyed working for this company as I started there as a housekeeper, and before I left I had the opportunity to move up to front desk. My morning shift would start with talking with the night audit person find out if there were any problems from the night , then make sure breakfast was all filled up for the guests , count my float check guests out do a in house count get laundry started, my manager was awesome she always encouraged me at my job she was sad to see me leave I got along with everybody there, we had fun times there we always celebrated accomplishments and birthdays it was a great place to work, the hardest part for me was learning the computer side of the job but once I figured it out it went smoothly.
Pros
when you needed time off you usually got it
Cons
a lot of standing
A typical day at work would to start off by counting the till and make sure everything is balanced before the previous employee left. I would make sure all of the paper work for the reservations were ready and that the room cards were programmed. As guests would come in, I would do the required steps to successfully check them in and get them on their way to their rooms. My positions also required me to check the pool area to make sure it was clean and pool levels met the requirements. It was my duty to make sure there were always cookies ready and to make popcorn at 7:00 PM. I kept the lobby and surrounding areas clean and answered every phone call to the best of my ability. Near the end of my shift I would balance my till and fill out the papers that were required. I enjoyed communicating with the customers to make them feel at home.
It was fun, and great help from other staff members when ever you needed it. You could have five to sixteen rooms it all depend on the day the best part of working at canalta was everyone is super fun to be around.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
Checked guests in and out, cashed out when time and filed all the paper work that was needed. Took reservations and cleaned the lobby. Worked from 11pm-7am.Handled any complaints from guests, that occurred during the night.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Low pay
My placement at Canalta Hotel was a good experience for me. It was my first time working in the laundry department without supervision. I learnt by own mistakes and soon enough to acknowledge all my surroundings in the laundry room. The hardest part of being in the laundry room...since Canalta Hotel being a small hotel. There is only one person to laundry and others to rooms.
Pros
% off accommodations.
Cons
At certains times days were long.
Great company to work for, good benefits and starting salary is higher than average.
Good training via the Signature Training courses.

Management is not as involved as it should be.

Full Time hours are not guaranteed, housekeeping hours are usually short.