Canadian Western Bank Employee Reviews

They say they value their employees, they don't.
Manager, Network Administration (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 October 2018
They tell you they have a work life balance and they want you to be happy. What they don't tell you is you are salary and they literally expect you to work all the time. You are always working, but never getting paid for it. If you are out at a movie, you are still working for Canadian Western Bank and representing them.
Pros
They have free doughnut fridays
Cons
The atmosphere, the environment, the management, more interested in how they appear then if employees are good.
Working on a contract
IS Technical Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 September 2018
Working on a contract and love it so far. Great team and a management really caring. Everyone working there have positive things to say. Hoping to be a permanent part of the team
Great company to work for
Loan Administrative officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 September 2018
CWB is a great company to work for with diversified workplace culture. Many opportunities for advancement and learning. Salary and benefits are comparable to other companies.
Respect=Motivation=Customer Service
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  5407 Discovery Way, Leduc AB T9E 8N49 August 2018
Canadian Western Bank really respects there employee's,with that type of respect it motivates you as an employee to do the best for the company.
.A typical work day is helping our customers with there banking needs by listening and understanding there wants.Sometimes we have to be very carefully as well because part of the job is detecting fraud but the most important part of the job is the smiles they have when they leave.
Pros
Repect for there employee's
Cons
I really do not have any
Credit Officer at CWB
Credit Officer (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC8 August 2018
I was a Credit Officer at CWB from 2015 to early 2018 and I found employment at this company to be enjoyable. Duties are, of course, finance management related and customer relationship focused.
Nice work-life balance
Sales & Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 August 2018
I love the work-life balance in this company. They have lots of activities for the staff and does charity works. Loved the people I worked with whom I am still in contact with.
Awful management
Documentation specialist (Current Employee) –  MontrĂ©al, QC14 July 2018
Don't try and perform at your job, your peers will backstab you and your so called manager won't bother sitting down with you five minutes to discuss what's going on. Manager has no people's skills, gets paid to do a job he's unqualified to do. Shame on this team and on CWB to allow this kind of culture.
Its a Job
confidential (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 June 2018
Basically it's a job and you are very disposable. Typical day was run from one desk to another, wear one hat then another. Need another 20 words so I'll just bs like cwb does.
Pros
Cons
lots
Overall just another 'ok' place to work
Multiple (see below) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 June 2018
Lots of corporate culture change and redirection causing unrest with staff. Not appreciated, nor recognised for efforts.Work life balance has definitely improved over the last little while. Poor salary, but great benefits.
Benefits
Cons
Long hours, expected to work overtime without compensation, poor work/life balance (it's improving, but still dismal), poor management, no clear corporate advancement
Fast paced environment, excellent co-workers, great career experiences
Procurement Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 May 2018
My days were never dull, there was always work to be done. I was able to suggest and implement job improvements were applicable. I learned so many things while at CWB professionally and personally it is difficult to name them all. I felt as if this was a place were my work made a difference and that it was appreciated by my fellow employees. I was privileged to have worked with so many powerful and positive people.
Awesome Benefits, fair pay
Senior Retail Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 April 2018
Loved working here and regretted leaving. The benefits are second to none and they're a good bunch to work for. I love that they don't push credit product like big banks do - you can actually sleep at night - and there are little perks and rewards for doing a good job.

There is plenty of space for moving up, if you want to, and if you don't want to, there is no pressure to do so. Raises are regular and performance based.

Like any workplace, there are bad apples, but overall, the company itself is great. I'd recommend it.
Pros
Achievable bonuses, excellent benefits, fair company, low pressure.
They have Friendly environment and accept diversity.
Administrative Clerk, Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 March 2018
I was admin assistant in Canadian Western Bank.Everyday I go through journal entries of the bank investment. Handle filling department for accounts payable. Partially help with packaging and enter details of customer.
Mostly good and hardworking people, poor management
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 February 2018
Heavily overworked, not valued as a person but rather a 'job performer'. Lots of talk about how employees matter, while in effect, little proof of that. Recently downsized Trust operations and ruthlessly terminated 'on the spot' people with over 10 year tenure. Horrible HR, terrible management.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Low pay, no advancement opportunity, gossiping
Great For Managers, Terrible For Front Line Employees
Frontline (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 January 2018
CWB as a company is a good company in regards to what they do for their clients. However, the amount of staff members that have been pushed out due to bullying by management, is atrocious. I would never work there again because they do not support their staff that are struggling with workplace harassment and intimidation. 10/10 do NOT recommend.
Great Company to work with
Account Manager - (Abbotsford) (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford BC10 December 2017
Excellent benefits
Management support in every way
No other financial institutions can be compared with CWB
Best overall cultures
If I have an opportunity to work with CWB again, I would.
Do not think of comparing CWB with any other FI.
Excellent staffs/ great motivations
Excellent CEO
Number 1 FI over all
Pros
Management support staff
casual atmosphere, strong culture
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 September 2017
Casual atmosphere, strong culture. Cool place for young people. They are so focused on being involved in the community. casual atmosphere, strong culture.
Great place to work -however a lot of changes happening
Sr. QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 June 2017
I loved my time at Canadian Western Bank! (15 yrs to be exact)

The past 5 yrs brought with it a lot of necessary changes - and a lot of changes meant a lot of new staff.

The changeover in new staff was major within the HR department.
I was given the opportunity to come back part-time (for a short while) with my first child and HR was amazing with helping me figure out the logistics of it...as was my former department.

The second child came after the aforementioned changes and it affected the level of knowledge HR had with regards to my previous work and achievements...it left me sad and dissapointed that HR couldn't help me with my second request to come back part time for a while.

After 15 yrs I left...and that was that. No contact from HR...nothing.

My experience there as a job however, was fantastic! I loved everyone I had the opportunity to work with and tried to make a difference for the company - through my work and personality.
Great Life Balance - poor career opportunities
Senior AVP (Current Employee) –  Edmonton alberta23 May 2017
title says it all - good place to build a starting career or to slow down for a bit to raise a family but future career path is limited given scope of the current business.
Great place to work and seems to give a lot of advancement opportunity to those that go over and above
Account Manager, Retail Banking (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 May 2017
CWB has been a great place to work over the past 6 years. I have enjoyed the opportunities that have been provided to me within the organization and the movement that I have been able to achieve within my time here. I feel as though managers do not actively work with their direct reports to build a plan for future career advancement, but feel as if you are a self driven person, you are able to advance very quickly.
Management seems to be more focused on the goals of the overall organization and less focused on individuals. There have been a lot of great initiatives released in the past 6 years, but I think there is a long way to go in order for CWB to provide their employees and customers with the best options for everyday banking needs. There is still more of a focus on Commercial Banking clients, and I think that Retail Banking clients do not necessarily get the best because of this focus.
The benefits package that is provided by CWB is exceptional. Other institutions that I have worked with in the past, or have friends/family working with currently do not compare to the health/dental benefits package. The current pay that is provided to staff seems below average within the industry, but overall benefits package makes up for this to an extent.
I see that there is sometimes a divide between our Corporate Office staff and our Branch staff. This needs to be addressed before it becomes a larger issue. We are all working for the same end goal and that needs to be encouraged from both directions. If we are divided, then we cannot work together in order to serve our customers
  more... the best!  less
Pros
Benefits package, people and clear focus for the future
Cons
Pay, need to be self driven in order to advance
Good place to start
Loans Officer/ CSR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 April 2017
Its a small bank but gives a good learning opportunity and to get started in the financial industry. Culture is not so great and too much internal politics.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Western Bank. Our community is ready to answer.