Canadian Western Bank Employee Reviews

Overall just another 'ok' place to work
Multiple (see below) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 June 2018
Lots of corporate culture change and redirection causing unrest with staff. Not appreciated, nor recognised for efforts.Work life balance has definitely improved over the last little while. Poor salary, but great benefits.
Benefits
Cons
Long hours, expected to work overtime without compensation, poor work/life balance (it's improving, but still dismal), poor management, no clear corporate advancement
Awesome Benefits, fair pay
Senior Retail Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 April 2018
Loved working here and regretted leaving. The benefits are second to none and they're a good bunch to work for. I love that they don't push credit product like big banks do - you can actually sleep at night - and there are little perks and rewards for doing a good job.

There is plenty of space for moving up, if you want to, and if you don't want to, there is no pressure to do so. Raises are regular and performance based.

Like any workplace, there are bad apples, but overall, the company itself is great. I'd recommend it.
Pros
Achievable bonuses, excellent benefits, fair company, low pressure.
They have Friendly environment and accept diversity.
Administrative Clerk, Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 March 2018
I was admin assistant in Canadian Western Bank.Everyday I go through journal entries of the bank investment. Handle filling department for accounts payable. Partially help with packaging and enter details of customer.
Mostly good and hardworking people, poor management
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 February 2018
Heavily overworked, not valued as a person but rather a 'job performer'. Lots of talk about how employees matter, while in effect, little proof of that. Recently downsized Trust operations and ruthlessly terminated 'on the spot' people with over 10 year tenure. Horrible HR, terrible management.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Low pay, no advancement opportunity, gossiping
Great For Managers, Terrible For Front Line Employees
Frontline (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 January 2018
CWB as a company is a good company in regards to what they do for their clients. However, the amount of staff members that have been pushed out due to bullying by management, is atrocious. I would never work there again because they do not support their staff that are struggling with workplace harassment and intimidation. 10/10 do NOT recommend.
Great Company to work with
Account Manager - (Abbotsford) (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford BC10 December 2017
Excellent benefits
Management support in every way
No other financial institutions can be compared with CWB
Best overall cultures
If I have an opportunity to work with CWB again, I would.
Do not think of comparing CWB with any other FI.
Excellent staffs/ great motivations
Excellent CEO
Number 1 FI over all
Pros
Management support staff
casual atmosphere, strong culture
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 September 2017
Casual atmosphere, strong culture. Cool place for young people. They are so focused on being involved in the community. casual atmosphere, strong culture.
Great place to work -however a lot of changes happening
Sr. QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 June 2017
I loved my time at Canadian Western Bank! (15 yrs to be exact)

The past 5 yrs brought with it a lot of necessary changes - and a lot of changes meant a lot of new staff.

The changeover in new staff was major within the HR department.
I was given the opportunity to come back part-time (for a short while) with my first child and HR was amazing with helping me figure out the logistics of it...as was my former department.

The second child came after the aforementioned changes and it affected the level of knowledge HR had with regards to my previous work and achievements...it left me sad and dissapointed that HR couldn't help me with my second request to come back part time for a while.

After 15 yrs I left...and that was that. No contact from HR...nothing.

My experience there as a job however, was fantastic! I loved everyone I had the opportunity to work with and tried to make a difference for the company - through my work and personality.
Great Life Balance - poor career opportunities
Senior AVP (Current Employee) –  Edmonton alberta23 May 2017
title says it all - good place to build a starting career or to slow down for a bit to raise a family but future career path is limited given scope of the current business.
Great place to work and seems to give a lot of advancement opportunity to those that go over and above
Account Manager, Retail Banking (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 May 2017
CWB has been a great place to work over the past 6 years. I have enjoyed the opportunities that have been provided to me within the organization and the movement that I have been able to achieve within my time here. I feel as though managers do not actively work with their direct reports to build a plan for future career advancement, but feel as if you are a self driven person, you are able to advance very quickly.
Management seems to be more focused on the goals of the overall organization and less focused on individuals. There have been a lot of great initiatives released in the past 6 years, but I think there is a long way to go in order for CWB to provide their employees and customers with the best options for everyday banking needs. There is still more of a focus on Commercial Banking clients, and I think that Retail Banking clients do not necessarily get the best because of this focus.
The benefits package that is provided by CWB is exceptional. Other institutions that I have worked with in the past, or have friends/family working with currently do not compare to the health/dental benefits package. The current pay that is provided to staff seems below average within the industry, but overall benefits package makes up for this to an extent.
I see that there is sometimes a divide between our Corporate Office staff and our Branch staff. This needs to be addressed before it becomes a larger issue. We are all working for the same end goal and that needs to be encouraged from both directions. If we are divided, then we cannot work together in order to serve our customers
  more... the best!  less
Pros
Benefits package, people and clear focus for the future
Cons
Pay, need to be self driven in order to advance
Good place to start
Loans Officer/ CSR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 April 2017
Its a small bank but gives a good learning opportunity and to get started in the financial industry. Culture is not so great and too much internal politics.
Productivity, responsability and strong relationships with clients is the key to success of the company
Administrative Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 March 2017
Here is a friendly team and being here is a pleasure to work and to learn more. Working here, helped me to know better banking transactions as: certified cheques, bank drafts, payments, transfers, etc.
Management and organization part has a high level . It is difficult for me to say what is hard because the work is very organized and it is no obstacle to do your job.
I enjoy to be part of this team.
Great training and resource material
Receptionist & Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB11 March 2017
Steady challenging work with a great group of people. Not your typical Bankers. Everyone was friendly and worked as a team. Great work life balance with exceptional benefits and perks. Great staff parties.
Pros
Great benifits, lots of holidays
Cons
limited career growth in remote locatons
Great place to work - a fair employer.
Senior Manager, Commercial Banking (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC22 February 2017
Resolve issues, service existing clients and generate new business. I learned to hone my negotiation skills, mentor junior staff and perform effective networking.
Rewarding and challenging place to work. Small but large
Manager Retail Banking (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2016
Canadian Western Bank 2009-2016 was a great place to work hard and get recognized. Its small enough to get noticed and large enough to move forward in your career. I noticed some negative reviews but you can never please everyone. I found that if you want to show up just in time and leave right on time and do the minimum you can get by and nothing more would be expected of you. However if you wanted to give more you could still have a great work life balance and get noticed for your extra efforts. In my career(s) this is by far the best place I worked. You might be asking then why are you no longer there? An unsolicited offer for a new challenge came along at an equally great company or I would still be happily giving my all for a fantastic company. I know they are currently struggling with a change in core banking solutions and with the economy but I say its a great place to be now and in the future.
Pros
Best benifits ever
Cons
Smaller so hard to innovate products or take risks
Not for everyone
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 September 2016
Had an established reputation as being 'people' centric and in the list of Canada's top employers. Unfortunately, this is no longer true and CWB has lost its way from a people perspective. The culture is now one of 'CYA' and an 'old boys club' mentality. Innovation, new ideas and fresh perspectives are not valued. Although they talk about 'what got us here will not get us there', they seem to operate quite differently in that change is highly resisted.

Not sure CWB can keep pace with competitors as it is simply not agile and or sufficiently innovative.
Pros
Some good people work here who still have heart
Cons
Continue to rely upon old methods which is impeding progression, Salaries are not on par with industry, Low accountability and Poor morale, IT is not business centric and impedes efficiency, 'New' HR is more administrative than 'people' focused
Need to be versatile
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 July 2016
All the are teams needed to be able to multitask. Tight dead lines and team meetings, presentations kept us busy. The job itself trained me in may new things.
canadian western bank - great work place
Full time Sales and Service Representative I (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB14 June 2016
I enjoyed the challenges and the everyday work at CWB. I met alot of great staffs and clients in my relatively short time working there. i would reccommend a job at a bank to someone who wants good hours, decent pay, and a bit of a challenge.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
location
Great Place to work...if you can get in!!
Unanimous (Former Employee) –  Unanimous29 May 2016
Focusing on Business relationships, CWB is a great place to work. Relatively flat in structure, management is very supportive in education and career training. It is difficult to get into, as the staff are relatively seasoned...no one leaves and there is a reason for that!! Wages and Benefits are excellent as well. Highly recommended!
Good
Administration Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 February 2016
This was a good experience working in different aspects of a Financial institution.
I had different administrative duties also worked with other sections in the Department.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Western Bank. Our community is ready to answer.