Canadian Western Bank Employee Reviews

They say they value their employees, they don't.
Manager, Network Administration (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 October 2018
They tell you they have a work life balance and they want you to be happy. What they don't tell you is you are salary and they literally expect you to work all the time. You are always working, but never getting paid for it. If you are out at a movie, you are still working for Canadian Western Bank and representing them.
Pros
They have free doughnut fridays
Cons
The atmosphere, the environment, the management, more interested in how they appear then if employees are good.
Overall just another 'ok' place to work
Multiple (see below) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 June 2018
Lots of corporate culture change and redirection causing unrest with staff. Not appreciated, nor recognised for efforts.Work life balance has definitely improved over the last little while. Poor salary, but great benefits.
Benefits
Cons
Long hours, expected to work overtime without compensation, poor work/life balance (it's improving, but still dismal), poor management, no clear corporate advancement
Great company to work for
Loan Administrative officer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 September 2018
CWB is a great company to work for with diversified workplace culture. Many opportunities for advancement and learning. Salary and benefits are comparable to other companies.
Awesome Benefits, fair pay
Senior Retail Service Officer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB5 April 2018
Loved working here and regretted leaving. The benefits are second to none and they're a good bunch to work for. I love that they don't push credit product like big banks do - you can actually sleep at night - and there are little perks and rewards for doing a good job.

There is plenty of space for moving up, if you want to, and if you don't want to, there is no pressure to do so. Raises are regular and performance based.

Like any workplace, there are bad apples, but overall, the company itself is great. I'd recommend it.
Pros
Achievable bonuses, excellent benefits, fair company, low pressure.
Mostly good and hardworking people, poor management
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 February 2018
Heavily overworked, not valued as a person but rather a 'job performer'. Lots of talk about how employees matter, while in effect, little proof of that. Recently downsized Trust operations and ruthlessly terminated 'on the spot' people with over 10 year tenure. Horrible HR, terrible management.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Low pay, no advancement opportunity, gossiping
Great place to work at.
SALES & SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 November 2018
Our leaders listen and are very supportive. My experience working at Canadian Western Bank has always been pleasant and positive. Great culture. I love working here!
Working on a contract
IS Technical Analyst (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 September 2018
Working on a contract and love it so far. Great team and a management really caring. Everyone working there have positive things to say. Hoping to be a permanent part of the team
Awful management
Documentation specialist (Current Employee) –  MontrĂ©al, QC14 July 2018
Don't try and perform at your job, your peers will backstab you and your so called manager won't bother sitting down with you five minutes to discuss what's going on. Manager has no people's skills, gets paid to do a job he's unqualified to do. Shame on this team and on CWB to allow this kind of culture.
Nice work-life balance
Sales & Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 August 2018
I love the work-life balance in this company. They have lots of activities for the staff and does charity works. Loved the people I worked with whom I am still in contact with.
Credit Officer at CWB
Credit Officer (Former Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC8 August 2018
I was a Credit Officer at CWB from 2015 to early 2018 and I found employment at this company to be enjoyable. Duties are, of course, finance management related and customer relationship focused.
Great Company to work with
Account Manager - (Abbotsford) (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford BC10 December 2017
Excellent benefits
Management support in every way
No other financial institutions can be compared with CWB
Best overall cultures
If I have an opportunity to work with CWB again, I would.
Do not think of comparing CWB with any other FI.
Excellent staffs/ great motivations
Excellent CEO
Number 1 FI over all
Pros
Management support staff
Respect=Motivation=Customer Service
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  5407 Discovery Way, Leduc AB T9E 8N49 August 2018
Canadian Western Bank really respects there employee's,with that type of respect it motivates you as an employee to do the best for the company.
.A typical work day is helping our customers with there banking needs by listening and understanding there wants.Sometimes we have to be very carefully as well because part of the job is detecting fraud but the most important part of the job is the smiles they have when they leave.
Pros
Repect for there employee's
Cons
I really do not have any
CWB is a very enjoyable place to work. They have a lot of incentives to suceed.
Retail Seerice Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 November 2013
Throughout the year we would have several campaigns , for example, which team could sell the most Master Cards. The winning team might win a gift card or a day off with pay. This made for a very competitive environment but we all enjoyed it. They often supplied a Pizza lunch for the entire branch. Win or lose. Each year we enjoyed a potluck lunch and a catered luncheon for Christmas.They raised money for the Christmas Bureau and I participated in the shopping, assembling and delivering of the baskets. There were many more activities throughout the year that made CWB an enjoyable place to work.
Rewarding and challenging place to work. Small but large
Manager Retail Banking (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2016
Canadian Western Bank 2009-2016 was a great place to work hard and get recognized. Its small enough to get noticed and large enough to move forward in your career. I noticed some negative reviews but you can never please everyone. I found that if you want to show up just in time and leave right on time and do the minimum you can get by and nothing more would be expected of you. However if you wanted to give more you could still have a great work life balance and get noticed for your extra efforts. In my career(s) this is by far the best place I worked. You might be asking then why are you no longer there? An unsolicited offer for a new challenge came along at an equally great company or I would still be happily giving my all for a fantastic company. I know they are currently struggling with a change in core banking solutions and with the economy but I say its a great place to be now and in the future.
Pros
Best benifits ever
Cons
Smaller so hard to innovate products or take risks
Fast paced environment, excellent co-workers, great career experiences
Procurement Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 May 2018
My days were never dull, there was always work to be done. I was able to suggest and implement job improvements were applicable. I learned so many things while at CWB professionally and personally it is difficult to name them all. I felt as if this was a place were my work made a difference and that it was appreciated by my fellow employees. I was privileged to have worked with so many powerful and positive people.
Its a Job
confidential (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 June 2018
Basically it's a job and you are very disposable. Typical day was run from one desk to another, wear one hat then another. Need another 20 words so I'll just bs like cwb does.
Pros
Cons
lots
Easy Going, Team work
Assistant Mgr Retail Admin (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta5 July 2012
Canadian Western Bank was an excellent place to work. I started there in October of 2009, and left at the end of January 2012. I gained so much knowledge from my branch, not only through my job, but from my co-workers. I had a great team to work with and an outstanding supervisor. My supervisor saw so much potential in me and really helped me to excel in every direction possible. We had a good work environment, everyone got along very well, and it was very easy going. Work was fast paced at times, but nothing our front line team could not handle. I would most definitely recommend them to anyone looking to go into the world of banking. Always room for advancement and they are part of the 50 best employers in Canada and it is very well deserved!
Pros
breakfasts every friday, team building outings, lunches, fundraisers, etc.
Cons
some negative co-workers..
Great training and resource material
Receptionist & Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB11 March 2017
Steady challenging work with a great group of people. Not your typical Bankers. Everyone was friendly and worked as a team. Great work life balance with exceptional benefits and perks. Great staff parties.
Pros
Great benifits, lots of holidays
Cons
limited career growth in remote locatons
Great Place to work...if you can get in!!
Unanimous (Former Employee) –  Unanimous29 May 2016
Focusing on Business relationships, CWB is a great place to work. Relatively flat in structure, management is very supportive in education and career training. It is difficult to get into, as the staff are relatively seasoned...no one leaves and there is a reason for that!! Wages and Benefits are excellent as well. Highly recommended!
Great For Managers, Terrible For Front Line Employees
Frontline (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 January 2018
CWB as a company is a good company in regards to what they do for their clients. However, the amount of staff members that have been pushed out due to bullying by management, is atrocious. I would never work there again because they do not support their staff that are struggling with workplace harassment and intimidation. 10/10 do NOT recommend.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Western Bank. Our community is ready to answer.