Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum Employee Reviews

Really great place to work.
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Mount Hope, ON13 February 2019
Great place to work. New management seems to keep everyone informed of whats going on. Its way better than before. There is way better communication. People are really nice and atmosphere is really great. Food is great at the restaurant. Lots of hours available to work when the planes are in the air in the summer.
Pros
lots of discounts at store and restaurant.
Cons
hanger is really hot in the summer
Great coworkers and volunteer
CLEANER (Former Employee) –  Mount Hope, ON14 October 2018
Fummer employee I worked at the museum from 2008 until 2014 I enjoyed it fun coworkers and staff and cool event like wedding party meeting filming etc but it all went good till the year 2013 when management got strict if you did something wrong you knew it but when you did something good no body notice at all and like others said lack of communication is a number 1 big problem 2 big problem is mangers in areas where they don't have experience in the line of work I think the CEO should start with one debt and see if they have experience or not and I think hours should be 9 till 6 Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday and then Friday 9 till 4 then sat 10 till 5 Sunday 11 till 5 and should be closed Christmas boxing day new years eve new years day and thanksgiving day and Easter in my opinion
Pros
Hate off in gift shop and cafe
Cons
Lack of communication and long hours
Not what it seems.
Staff (Former Employee) –  Mount Hope, ON14 January 2018
Great place to work until the novelty wears off. Lack of proper communication between management, staff and departments. Quite a bit of favouritism among some staff as most are related to some degree. Some management have no issues placing blame where blame isn't due. Find yourself working alone even during busy times and lack of respect for others. Don't get your hopes up for full time or advancement as it will never happen. I feel that the CEO should step in and fix some of the issues. Some people have talent in some areas and I feel that management should and could find ways to put tge strengths and talents to good use. If proper changes were made I would apply again in a heartbeat.
Pros
Free admission and discounts on food and merchandise
Cons
Lack of respect, favouritism, no hopes for advancement
Rewarding environment with amazing volunteers and friendly staff
Full-time Staff (Former Employee) –  Mount Hope, ON11 October 2016
I was employed at Canadian Warplane Heritage for 6 years and it was one of the most amazing places that I have ever worked. On the whole staff are friendly and fun to work with and the volunteers always made me smile. You always turn around to see a smiling face. I will miss that.
It was very interesting to work there because there was never a dull moment. Something new and exciting was always around the corner. New events, new aircraft visiting, dances, weddings, school groups, airshows and so many different trade shows and hangar rentals that it made every day different than the next. I will really miss that. But along with it being interesting, it could be frustrating at times because the game plan was always different and changing, which is why I think some of the other reviewers left a negative review. It's impossible to have every event run perfectly when often times it was the first time they had ever held that event. Personally, it never bothered me.
The environment was very laid-back because part of every job there was to interact with guests and volunteers. It really is different than any other place you will ever work.
All in all I loved my time there. Sure, not every staff member was great to work with but that's the same at every company. You just talk to the fun ones and there were plenty of those!
Pros
Very interesting, fun, laid-back environment
Cons
Can be frustrating at times
staff is treated like garbage
Cook/Catering (Former Employee) –  Mount Hope, ON9 May 2016
WAS a fun place to work until the novelty wore off, which lasted about a month. Typical day of work would consist of doing Prep work for the daily meals, and catering for upcoming events; Of which 45% of the time, management did not give clear instructions, or proper portion amounts leading to stressful situations.

Management at this place is completely backwards. The manager will tell the employees to just "deal with it" when a situation comes up with zero guidance on how to "deal with it", they will threaten your employment in hopes that you will improve the process, accuse employees of lying if something their told doesn't meet their expectations, bullies their employees to the point where they cause mental abuse and employees seek medical professionals for assistance and coping strategies, and has fired/forced people to quit with the same tactic. COMPLETE abuse of power, and punishes those who have an issue with her methods; for instance: took away gratuities from the hardworking employees and gave them a $1 raise that WASN'T performance based, rather as an alternative means to make the employees feel better about losing a major benefit to the job. Employees are extremely over worked, to the point where those with medical handicaps in their duties, are told to "suck it up" and to push through it. Information for events that are scheduled, but then cancelled or have changes made weeks in advance of the Event Date, is withheld from the kitchen staff until the day of the event and its too late to adjust the menus or the set ups.

Many members of Management also have no
  more... credential background in the areas they work in; for instance, the canteen/restaurant is overseen by an individual that has no background in working or managing that kind of a service, but will throw orders as to how things should be done as if they were certified. Also, the accountant is done by someone who has no schooling or certification in accounting .

The "Security" that the building has doesn't even work. The cameras set up around the perimeter aren't connected, to the point where vehicles have been stolen from the parking lot on numerous occasions.

All in all, it's amazing that the place is still up and running.
Pros
cool planes to look at.
Cons
everything
Great experience worked with vintage aircrafts
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 June 2015
As worked on an aircraft I was involved in a seat installation, pitot cover installation and some structural work.
It was a great experience worked with seniors.
I have learned some skills related to my Aircraft Maintenance Engineer study.
Pros
good contacts
The bad outweighed the good
Hospitality Manager (Former Employee) –  Mount Hope, On21 October 2014
Typically, start the day with e-mails and voice mail, Check bookings and menus.
I learned to keep to myself at this job, something I never had to do before.
Not a healthy working environment. There is too much struggle between departments. All management is battling for control. Departments do not care about other compartments of the business.
Working with volunteers who are knowledgeable however is probably the best part. Great hours but long in the summer when they are super busy.
Pros
working in an environment with so much history
Cons
Quite a soap opera factory