Canadian Utility Construction

Canadian Utility Construction Employee Reviews

Hard work but treated well

Not an easy job as you age as it is outdoors construction but manageable. Great guys on the ground to work with. Can be a lot of hours at times so it’s not an 8-5 job for sure. Winters can get long.

Fun place to work..

I have learnt allot coming to CUC...coming in as TCP that knew nothing except from taking the course..working my way up to one of the more experienced LCTs...It's a work family environment .I highly recommend working for this company

I couldn’t ask for anything more

CUC has a group of hard working employees and an experienced management team that have been promoted from within the company; this creates a great company culture. Quality employees will find opportunities to grow, and the company invests in developing talent. Demand is high for this industry and work is steady year-round. I couldn’t ask for anything more, I highly recommend working for CUC!

Pros

Coworkers, steady work, compensation.

Cons

Like I said, I couldn’t ask for anything more.

The job was ok

Clac is one of the worst unions around management is horrible don't trust any of them high pace say they will train but don't worst place I have every worked

Pros

The people you work with

Cons

Crew fore men's and management

Very Good Utility Company

Some of my best working years were with this company. Quite enjoyed working for a Canadian company and with a group of guys that was much like what I called " Band of Brothers ". We always looked out for one another, at work or beyond. It had quite good benefits and pay, and had a decent Christmas Party at the Save-On foods memorial centre, drink tickets plus paid for your hotel room for the night. They gave recognition on milestones ( 5 year, 10 year, etc ) with awards or Gold Rings at general meetings. I miss it quite a bit, it's just my body can take the physical beating at my age anymore. Great company though. Truly.

Pros

" Band of Brothers " vibe

Cons

Not much room to move up if looking to do so

good experience treated well

joined recently and was not sure what to expect however so far the guys in the field have been great to work with. it is busy and you work hard but we do get paid weekly which is nice. overtime can be frequent

Pros

treated well

Cons

long days soemtimes

Lots to do

lots of changes which has resulted in multiple changes and processes. Paid weekly and all benefits paid for by the company.

Lots of changes

Lots of changes in staff and management over the past few years. If you can manage the change you will be fine. Not for everyone but good for me. Very busy work environment.

Underground gas construction

Repetitive tough work. Hard work as a labourer but bunch of good guys to work with in the field. Average 9-10 hours a day and the winter can be tough. Good experience for a first job in construction.

Terrible environment

Basically the more you lie the quicker you move up. Get in with the core group off the bat otherwise your going to be treated horribly. Don’t expect support from your co workers and your work/life balance is out the door. Better money than most but you sacrifice your freedom and sanity. It’s a dog eat dog world where everyone throws everyone under the bus and talks about each other in order to advance. Work quality and training are horrible. Don’t trust anyone. As honest as a review gets!

Jobs at Canadian Utility Construction

See more jobs

Typical construction company

Started here a few year ago and its your average construction company and its my third construction company to work for. They work in underground gas and its all outside so prepared for the winter and at times lots of hours and O/T.

Pros

paid weekly

Cons

weather/long hours

So far so good...

Never know what to expect with a new company however so far so good, work with great colleagues in the field and supported so far the managers. Can be some long days at times but treated well

Casual yet busy work environment

Casual place to work however quite busy most times. Friendly staff and supportive managers within the group which is nice. I am moving out of BC so have left the company but would work again there if the opportunity arose.

Pros

paid weekly, benefits and vacation allowances

Cons

lots of changes in upper staff however it now seems to have stabilized

Fast-paced, fun team

A typical day at CUC is fast-paced and no day is ever the same! The office has a fun and friendly team environment; there's always something to do or to help someone with.The hardest part of the job is being able to stay organized with many projects at the same time, however, the most enjoyable part of the job is the people, especially the longer-tenured ones. They have so much knowledge to pass on, just got to be willing to learn!

Pros

Pre-Covid BBQ's, Company Events, Flexible Hours

Cons

Long Commute

Gas company

Been here over 10 years in the field and have learned a lot since my entry level role when I started. Been good for me and my family even if at times the hours are long but we do get paid OT so that helps.

Pros

Paid weekly

Very much enjoying engaging in a collaborative environment!

Since I have started here, I have felt supported and from what I’ve heard, the culture has improved significantly over the past few years. I have already noticed the positive workplace culture and I’m looking forward to a long term career with this company.

Pros

Open/transparent management and strong team environment

pretty chill place to work for a recent grad

CUC was a good place to start after I graduated, bit of a learning curve at the beginning, great pay and benefits + relaxed management.Starting during COVID was odd because less people in the office, but working from home was fun!

benefits

Cons

my cubicle was cold but I got a heater

It was a good opportunity for me

I learned a lot while I was there from the senior field staff who are very knowledgeable on the underground gas business. It was year round work which was nice not be laid off in winter. Long days at times with lots of O/T.

Pros

Year round work

Cons

Saturdays

Office Culture that is cutthroat with use of intimidation by threatening livelihoods

Poor management and understanding of the business they’re operating. Senior Management in the Surrey, BC location believe they’re untouchable yet couldn’t tell you the first thing about how to manage a project.All that would be excusable, but the way they treat their employees is deplorable and $500k/year wouldn’t make me work another day in this poor excuse for an organization.

Pros

Field staff and Foremen were skilled and easy to work with

Cons

Intimidating office culture with expectations to work around the clock and weekends.

Nice people

So far so good. I have not been here long but it has been great. They have a people first attitude that allows for individual thought. With luck this will be a long term gig.

Pros

Benefits, colleagues

Casual atmosphere

The office has been redesigned and it has made a large improvement. Covid has left it empty many days which is too bad. Treated well with good salary and benefits.

Pros

Casual atmosphere

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Utility Construction. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement

Compare Canadian Utility Construction with

• Canadian Utility Construction
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?