Canadian Utility Construction Employee Reviews

Fun place to work with changed management hands to many times
Safety Officer/Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 October 2018
The company is lost and head office doesnt always know what is going on in the smaller branches, When they decided to change management, it all went down hill. Other GM came in from other branches and made sure that thier guys were taken care of better then the ones here in Edmonton. Once they were called out it was always someone elses fault and made sure visiting employees were not around after the incident had already occured.

Safety is suppose to be Number 1 but they had different priorities.
Pros
Ground crew was awesome
Cons
Management was clueless
Terrible place to work
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC3 September 2018
Job is high intensity working with gas lines. workers that are also employed are absolutely bafoons. Management doesn't care about your hours or work intensity. extremely abusive work environment. You make okay wage but working almost 70+ hours a week. All these "good" reviews are false. The management doesn't care about anything than getting a job done so they can get paid. they don't care. Even on the crew you would consistently get overworked. Sometimes starting a new job at 5pm and not getting home till 9-10 at night. Do yourself a favour and don't apply.
Pros
there are some good employees
Cons
90% of company are rude and entitled
Forced Review
Industrial Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 April 2018
Great place to work, Love the management and enjoy the job itself. the people there are caring and try to get you where you're going. equipment is mint.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Chaotic management with no logical direction.
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Surrey BC.10 March 2018
Sadly, this company has many great & knowledgeable employees that are unfortunately led by buffoons in management that clearly do not have the ability nor knowledge to manage.
Every day begins in chaos and then only gets more chaotic as the day goes on apparently because the management jumps from one direction to another and can't seem to communicate with each other nor the employees creating turmoil for everyone.
I would not recommend working for this company.
Pros
Excellent & knowledgable employees
Cons
Directionless management
Good Company that rewards effort
Foreman (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 March 2017
Unfortunately I have read alot of negative reviews about CUC from"former employees" that must not have had the wonderful experience I have had working for this Company. Like most companies, it isnt perfect and has its flaws but over all I have to say that I have never been treated as well anywhere else.
This company DOES promote from within if you are the right fit for the job.When I was hired, I was promised a supervisor role within a year of starting. I was wearing the white hat in less than 3 months. As a foreman ,I advanced good working labourers into operator positions and trained them for advancement. Good operators into lead hand positions etc.
When work slowed down in one area, this company will send its good people to other areas to keep them working rather than a layoff.
The pay is good and you can work alot of overtime if you want. It is a workers company...if you like to work and do a good job, this is the company for you.If you want job where you can get paid to do nothing and spend more time playing than working...look elsewhere.

The president of this company came from a labor position and worked his way up the ranks by hard work. He knows me by name and I think a company that treats its workers like people and not just a number, is one that is worth sticking with for the long haul.
We were treated frequently with pizza ,fried chicken and other treats by management.I actually was invited to two Christmas parties this year and hotel and hockey games paid for by management.
This doesnt sound at all like the company these negative reviews worked for....Or
  more... maybe that was the problem,perhaps they didnt work for CUC...they just had a job  less
Pros
Great advancement, good pay, good people to work with, long term stability
Cons
Seasonal in colder areas
Crazy hours and No time off
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC2 March 2017
The theme is work work work and forget any time off. Vacation time is denied and the "union" (CLAC) is no help at all.

Some locations are better than others

The pay and benefits are igood and they are not concerned about paying overtime, so much so that it impacts work quality and safety.
Pros
Good people on the crews, pay is good.
Cons
Long hours and no time off, Advancement is slow, management will make promises but fail to deliver
Worst place to work for
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC22 January 2017
I've worked here and after being let go....all I can say is that your boss will believe your fellow coworkers but will NOT accept or acknowledge the hard work you have put in your work. Your fellow coworkers are preferred over you and favored more. Management is not great. No wonder people left or are leaving. Maybe 10 percent of the people working for that company are lovely to work with. The rest are not real. Don't even work there. I've been through hard times. Their core values are not abided by. People who actually respected their core values and abided by them have been let go. Some people who still work there don't even go by the core values. Worst place ever worked for. You do not get that respect by a few people. Some people are amazing. Some of the people are not nice. Not sure why the ceo or management have yet not figured out why great employees have been let go and the ones who create problems are still there. The ones who have worked hard get no appreciation. The one who socialise always and talk horribly about others are still working there. Management open your eyes. The people you employ are not screened properly. Watch how their supervisors treat them. Don't favour some people over others. Get rid of your core values. I would love to name a few people on here but no point as my words won't do any good. We are happier where we are now and our work is being recognized. Please review your management Mr ceo. Especially people who are higher up there. Open your eyes Mr ceo and see who gets treated like... I bet everyone knows who the fakes one are at your company.  more... Company is a joke. You feel.under appreciated man.  less
Pros
Wages are great, company events
Cons
Worst managemrnt and fake core values
Absolutely terrible
Laboirer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 November 2016
Seemed like a decent company and it probably can be but training was horribly done as if you're a good worker people are easily threatened by that.
Foremen were alright guys other employees were decent enough but management os terrible. One general
Forman is great the other is very rude.
Watch everything you do cause someone will always be watching and throw you under the bus no one takes responsibility for anything.
Was let go and shorted overtime hours, have tried to get paid but no one wants to deal with it.
Pros
Some good people
Cons
Worse than children
Bad Management
Drill operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 October 2016
If they promote from within why are they putting ads up on indeed when they have perfectly capable employees for the jobs they are advertising.

Secondly if the only good review about the company is from the staff that placed the ad what does that tell you about the company?????

Thirdly the company is run by a few guys that really dont know how to treat employees with respect.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
Horrible Management
Worst company I have ever worked for !
Gas Fitter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 September 2016
20 + years in the trades and this is one of cheapest worst places to work ever . Disorganized is a understament ! Mangement is out for themselves and will lie to your face ! Thay will use you and not think twice about it ! Guys on the crew are great to work with and fun to be around . That's where it ends
Pros
Good guys doing the real work
Cons
Mangement is the worst and unprofessional
Great people and treated with respect
Office (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 September 2016
There is no doubt we work hard. We are also growing fast. Live Safely is our number 1 value and I hear about it everyday.

Don't get me wrong, we have fun too!

The Company provided lots of training and they promote from within which I think is great.

Sure there is lots they can do better but they are actually working on those things.

If you don't mind working hard, there is a lot you can do here.
Pros
Great people, growing Company
Cons
very busy!
Americans trying to be canadians
Hoe Operator (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC17 September 2016
Work you to death not even a well done boys.but screw up and hear about it for days.for men all kissing superintendent but all day they will always have a big turn over.no one wants to be treated like that
Pros
great guys in the ditch
Cons
goofs in management
Overworked with Less than Average Pay
Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC3 August 2016
Cheap, cheap, cheap! It's all about senior management with their big bonuses and new cars with CUC. Nothing for the little people but stress and complete disrespect. If you like to be overworked, sworn at, used for cheap pay and treated like complete garbage then this is the company for you.
Great Employees, Terrible Management
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 June 2016
Awesome group of people to work with, always making jokes and keeping things interesting to make the day go by faster.
However, terrible management within the company,
Superintendent one of the worst managers i have ever seen.
Foreman's private relationship with laborer brought up issues that the Superintendent was covering up, due to his friendship with the Foreman.
Pros
Great Co-Workers
Cons
Terrible Management
Productive and enjoyable team of people to work with at CUC.
Gas Fitter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 March 2015
As part of the Gas Fitters, we often cut & thread, install and test gas piping, install and activate new gas meters and regulators, meter moves and exchanges for gas utility companies such as Atco Gas, Fortis BC and Sask Energy.
I learned a lot about gas utility type work in the gas fitting trade.
The management are a good bunch of guys. They are easy to get along with and very friendly and easy to talk to.
The co-workers I has at CUC were a very good bunch of guys over-all. They truly gave you the feeling that they "got your back" so to speak.
The hardest part of the job can be sitting and waiting for the underground works crew to finish their projects first before the gas fitting work can commence with the tie-in of the riser to the building service.
The most enjoyable parts of the job is having a chance to work with a great bunch of guys, the ability to work independently on jobs, yet still be part of a team. Also this is a unionized position with CLAC Local 63 that offers a very good benefit package and excellent group discounts.
Pros
Union wages and benefits and lots of OT when they do work.
Cons
Seasonal work, lay-offs & management always makes last minute decisions.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Utility Construction. Our community is ready to answer.

1.9