Canadian Utility Construction

Canadian Utility Construction Employee Reviews

Canada29 reviews
Inconsistent expectations and poor training.
This company is not straight up about what they want from you as an employee. The contract depicts a jack of all trades and then expects you to do something completely different in the role. Basically they want to cover their backs in an employment dispute should you challenge them on their expectations. When the flaws in the systems are highlighted or clearly do not make sense or follow standard protocol in business you are restricted in your work input told not to talk to your colleagues about resolving the problem and finally they fire you for with a poor excuse. They are two faced when it comes to company culture and there is a high turnover of staff. There are some really helpful employees there but there is a definite undercurrent of disassociation between management and employees.
Bad management
No job security no loyalty management is terrible superintendent is a bully he thinks he is God when really he’s a jack a*#
They are the worst company I have ever worked for stay away they don’t even deserve a star they are a0 star company
Pros
Cons
Management is terrible
Good hardworking people
Been here 3 years and still happy. The company does underground utilities construction so it's seasonal - digging when the ground isn't frozen, there are crazy busy times and slow times and trying to juggle that can be a little crazy. There's some cool people that have been around for a long time that can show you the ropes if you can pick it up quick but they ain't gonna hand hold you.
Some proper salt of the earth people that work here. Corona virus has been rough but gettin' through it and one of the businesses that hasn't had to shut down!
They want you to live to work not work to live!
They're always pushing you to go... go... go... With little guidance leading to frustration and confusion on your job tasks. Ultimately leading you to looking unprofessional and getting fired or laid off. There a company that uses you until you can't take it anymore. There motto is "Everybody is replaceable!"
Would go back anytime
Great place to work overall guys are nice office staff was great equipment was good some people didn't like it there I sure did I left because to many bosses all telling you to do something different
Decent place to work. Great co workers
Good seasonal job to have. Good people to work along side. Average 10 hour workdays, 5 days a week with some Saturday work. Management is very approachable but communication to employees needs improvement.
Unpredictable
This company does not care about their employees. they would through anyone under the bus at the first chance they get. A person can work their and give them their best and go over and beyond what their suppose to do and then when it comes down to it they don't care about you. They have their heads up Atco's rear end. Very disappointing! my opinion search else where for work opportunities.
Great company
Great company to work for with room for advancement. Unfortunately I have to move so I will be leaving as they have to work where I will be living. I got a lot of new experience as well as training thru this company that will be good to carry over to my future employer.
Management is trash
Management is all from BC and dont care about you. Tell you what you want to hear. Terrible company with barely any hours. Lots of layoffs. Turnover rate is high.
Lies lies lies and brown sugar!
They tell you need to hear to keep you there. Maybe things will change now that a certain person in upper management is gone. Empty promises. The guys with boots on the ground are great!
Ok, i guess
Upper management is short sighted. Has no interest in protecting the job security of it's work force. Wants to only work in one industry (gas) and has no interest in anything else. Economic down turn in oil and gas saw all of their Alberta staff left out in the cold.

Pay is ok but a bit below the standard in the industry.

Garbage representation (clac)

Typically works 6 days a week. 10 hours mon - fri and 8 hrs sat.

OT after 8, DT after 11.

Benefits after 90 days.

No work if it rains.
Pros
Occasional Appreciation lunches (on-site)
Cons
Lay off all january, all february, 3 weeks of march
Good comoany
I liked working for these guys they were good. He kept me busy and paid decent. Worked lots and steady hours. Good people and good equipment. Lots of opportunities to move up and advance.
High Turnover
Calgary directional drilling branch had an extremely high turnover and lack of work. Management was ok but you never really knew when your next job was and for how long anything was. Apart from that I enjoyed working there.
Pros
Payed well when out of town
Cons
lack of work
Solid Company
Solid place to work and crews were fun to be a part of. Definitly got some opportunity to move up in the company and train some new skills, overall good experience
Pros
Fun Crews to work with
Cons
Long hours sometimes
Fun place to work with changed management hands to many times
The company is lost and head office doesnt always know what is going on in the smaller branches, When they decided to change management, it all went down hill. Other GM came in from other branches and made sure that thier guys were taken care of better then the ones here in Edmonton. Once they were called out it was always someone elses fault and made sure visiting employees were not around after the incident had already occured.

Safety is suppose to be Number 1 but they had different priorities.
Pros
Ground crew was awesome
Cons
Management was clueless
Forced Review
Great place to work, Love the management and enjoy the job itself. the people there are caring and try to get you where you're going. equipment is mint.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Chaotic management with no logical direction.
Sadly, this company has many great & knowledgeable employees that are unfortunately led by buffoons in management that clearly do not have the ability nor knowledge to manage.
Every day begins in chaos and then only gets more chaotic as the day goes on apparently because the management jumps from one direction to another and can't seem to communicate with each other nor the employees creating turmoil for everyone.

I would not recommend working for this company.
Pros
Excellent & knowledgable employees
Cons
Directionless management
Good Company that rewards effort
Unfortunately I have read alot of negative reviews about CUC from"former employees" that must not have had the wonderful experience I have had working for this Company. Like most companies, it isnt perfect and has its flaws but over all I have to say that I have never been treated as well anywhere else.
This company DOES promote from within if you are the right fit for the job.When I was hired, I was promised a supervisor role within a year of starting. I was wearing the white hat in less than 3 months. As a foreman ,I advanced good working labourers into operator positions and trained them for advancement. Good operators into lead hand positions etc.

When work slowed down in one area, this company will send its good people to other areas to keep them working rather than a layoff.

The pay is good and you can work alot of overtime if you want. It is a workers company...if you like to work and do a good job, this is the company for you.If you want job where you can get paid to do nothing and spend more time playing than working...look elsewhere.

The president of this company came from a labor position and worked his way up the ranks by hard work. He knows me by name and I think a company that treats its workers like people and not just a number, is one that is worth sticking with for the long haul.

We were treated frequently with pizza ,fried chicken and other treats by management.I actually was invited to two Christmas parties this year and hotel and hockey games paid for by management.

This doesnt sound at all like the company these negative reviews worked for....Or
 - more...
Pros
Great advancement, good pay, good people to work with, long term stability
Cons
Seasonal in colder areas
Crazy hours and No time off
The theme is work work work and forget any time off. Vacation time is denied and the "union" (CLAC) is no help at all.

Some locations are better than others

The pay and benefits are igood and they are not concerned about paying overtime, so much so that it impacts work quality and safety.
Pros
Good people on the crews, pay is good.
Cons
Long hours and no time off, Advancement is slow, management will make promises but fail to deliver
Worst place to work for
I've worked here and after being let go....all I can say is that your boss will believe your fellow coworkers but will NOT accept or acknowledge the hard work you have put in your work. Your fellow coworkers are preferred over you and favored more. Management is not great. No wonder people left or are leaving. Maybe 10 percent of the people working for that company are lovely to work with. The rest are not real. Don't even work there. I've been through hard times. Their core values are not abided by. People who actually respected their core values and abided by them have been let go. Some people who still work there don't even go by the core values. Worst place ever worked for. You do not get that respect by a few people. Some people are amazing. Some of the people are not nice. Not sure why the ceo or management have yet not figured out why great employees have been let go and the ones who create problems are still there. The ones who have worked hard get no appreciation. The one who socialise always and talk horribly about others are still working there. Management open your eyes. The people you employ are not screened properly. Watch how their supervisors treat them. Don't favour some people over others. Get rid of your core values. I would love to name a few people on here but no point as my words won't do any good. We are happier where we are now and our work is being recognized. Please review your management Mr ceo. Especially people who are higher up there. Open your eyes Mr ceo and see who gets treated like... I bet everyone knows who the fakes one are at your company. - more...
Pros
Wages are great, company events
Cons
Worst managemrnt and fake core values
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Utility Construction. Our community is ready to answer.
2.3