Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Pay & Benefits reviews

good job for highschool student
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Castlegar BC12 February 2018
Good for students, low pay though and very little raises. Expect not all but some of management to be unprofessional at times. Can get quite busy on occasions but usually was laid back, often there was not much to do on many days
Not a good place to work
Cashier/ Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS12 February 2018
not good management unfair pay unfair shifts/ hours did not like my time here what so ever. a few good employees here and there but overall would not recommend
Strained workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Lindsay, ON12 February 2018
Lots of workplace politics and chatter, gossip. Not a lot of job security or respect given to part time workers. Heater and air conditioner often broke. No breaks given to night shift workers.
Pros
Holiday pay after two years and rare free lunches or snacks
Cons
Hours fluctuate wildly
Fun but very conservative culture
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 February 2018
I think CTC should bring more innovation into everything they do.
The culture in general, at least based on my few months of interaction, is very conservative.
On the other hand, salary is not competitive at all in Toronto, but many perks and benefit.
Good people to work with
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Yorkton, SK11 February 2018
Awsome people to work with, great location to shop, great benefits, good pay, great boss to work with, and i have no complaints about working thre at all.
Pros
Good people to work with
Cons
Different hours
Too heavy on the management and the good workers are not treated well.
Automotive Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB10 February 2018
You work long hours and do more than your job description entails, you never get any raises or appreciation. There is no advancing to higher positions either. No matter how hard you work or how much you prove yourself.
Pros
Good benefits and profit sharing
Cons
No advancing within the workplace.
Great company to work for
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Welland, ON9 February 2018
Great company to work for with many benefits if you put your time in. Profit sharing after 2 years. Employee recognition for outstanding customer support.
Simple students job
Commis (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 February 2018
Its an okay job , with minimum wage , for me , its not worth it because you do a lot of physical efforts , but a part from that , a good sense of humor in the whole team
Pros
nothing
Cons
physical efforts
productive and fun work place
Mechanic helper (Former Employee) –  Boucherville, QC7 February 2018
good place, productive, team was good, i would recommend this place this to anybody, didnt have enough hours tho, trustabke place aswell, dont hesitate to go there
Benefits and work schedules are awesome.
Warehouse Staff (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AB7 February 2018
The management makes sure that everyone gets alternating weekend off, has great benefit package like profit sharing & paid leave. Job security depends on volume of customers.
Pros
Benefits are good and schedule is workable.
Cons
Needs focus on people development.
Automotive Parts Manager (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON7 February 2018
Canadian Tire is a great place to work and grow in your career. You will constantly be dealing with a customers from all walks of life. There are many benefits such as profit sharing, scholarships and more.
fantastic place to work , great benefits
Data Entry/Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 February 2018
enjoyed working here, worked 2 shifts, enjoyed the 7 to 3 shift and no weekends, great benefits and excellent management, many opportunities for advancement. only downfall was that is was a contract position.
work day
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Dryden, ON5 February 2018
I worked in sporting which was a good place for me because I like the outdoors and fishing and hunting.
Management was okay there were a few that were cranky a lot.
The job was not hard at all but at times when quiet where it would get boring if all my area was stocked cleaned and organized.
I learned a lot there and would work there again. I am just looking for a career that I can earn a better salary and make a career out of.
Pros
It was a good job and interesting
Cons
2 of the managers were rude and not enjoyable to work with.
It's a job
Hardware Associate (Former Employee) –  Atholville, NB31 January 2018
working there was fun staff was friendly management was good owner knew how to run his store I won't say it was the best job I've ever had but hours were good and you always could have more shift if you needed extra money at some point
Job was alright
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON30 January 2018
It was an interesting learning experience, but the hours fluctuated a lot, and the management was very manipulating. It was a good part time position for extra money but didn't guarantee much in hours and was hard to keep up with bills during slow months.
Pros
Wide variety of jobs, good flexibility
Cons
Not much guaruntee for hours
Good student job
Commis des sports (Current Employee) –  Gatineau, QC29 January 2018
flexible hours, nice environment, good chemistry, good team. One of the rare really stable jobs for students. Fun job for short term, not my cup of tea when long term.
it was exhausting
Cashier/Promotions (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON29 January 2018
they had cut hours in half when minimum wage was going up. if you were working a 8 hr. shift they would cut your shift into only 4 hours so that you do not get a break or lunch . they are always hiring people out of programs giving no one space to advance
A good short term thing to have, but not a permanent placement
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Glendale Ave. St. Catharines, ON28 January 2018
A typical day of work entails chatting with customers (which is difficult if you're impatient or don't know how to deal with adults acting like children), basic maintenance like moving products from impulse locations to more permanent homes to keep the shelves looking full, and checking prices for cashiers.

As for what I've learned from this job, there are quite a few things, mostly around home maintenance projects such as building decks, replacing or fixing plumbing, replacing switches, and things of that sort. That being said, this job comes with a few other lessons as well such as how office politics work, the fact that people don't like reading signs, and that retail really isn't for everyone. I've received many awards for customer service over the almost two years I've been at my store, and I'll be the first to say that retail is not for me.

To elaborate on the "office politics" comment, management is a bit of a coin toss. Sometimes the managers you get are saints, and other times well, they're the exact opposite. At my store, it's split down the middle. As with other jobs, be prepared to have some problems with them and be ready to have complaints to raise, but so long as you don't stick around long term, that hopefully won't be a significant issue.

Workplace culture is lacking to a great extent in that for many employees, a shift is just that. There's nothing to enjoy or be fulfilled by, it just is. That's fine for some people, but it's one of the numerous reasons that Canadian Tire is considered a metaphorical "revolving door."

The absolute hardest part of
  more... the job for me is the constant reminder of how childish, nasty, and condescending people can be, when you're there to help them. However, dealing with the difficult managers when trying to help out a customer, or being made to take the fall for them are both close seconds.

When asked about the most enjoyable part of this job, my immediate thought is "leaving" and it is, but the most enjoyable part while on the job is the insanely rare opportunity to help out a decent customer.
Pros
Employees get 15% off of most purchases, not physically demanding, short hours, paid training
Cons
Management is hard to deal with most times, clientele is problematic, mentally and emotionally exhausting
Okay place
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE26 January 2018
job advancement is based on who you know. Pay minimum wage. worked part time so no benefit. Fellow employees were nice. Hours can be really low at certain times of the year
Slow paced for the most part, managers not helpful.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON26 January 2018
During my duration working here I found the managers not accommodating to the work to life ratio. I was given sparce shifts and very low pay. Good for a starter job but noy perminate position.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.

41.1K