Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Employee Reviews for Cashier

horrible
ON - Cashier (Former Employee) –  Renfrew, ON15 June 2018
management was rude and hours were not steady quite often they jut expected you to know what our doing vs helping you and the manager that was aways there just texted and ate vs worked
Pros
some free lunches
Cons
jerks
Pleasent and fast-paced environment as a cashier.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 June 2018
A typical day consisted of cashing out customers, maintaining cleanliness and order of the check out area and several other tasks, dependent on the work day and requirements of the management team.

I learned about processing different methods of payment, obtaining customer service experience and gaining confidence to communicate with customers.

The management team were nice and considerate to both staff and customers and were stern but fair when managing employees and assigning tasks to employees. Majority of days were busy and required me to work very fast-paced and involved performing several tasks when customer flow decreased but generally, shifts were enjoyable.

Most enjoyable part of the job was the ability to interact and assist tons of people with each shift and the hardest art of the job was trying to communicate with other departments when there was an issue with the radios.
Pros
Scheduled shifts in accordance with desired avaiability, nice staff and good hours
Cons
Radios for communicating with other departments sometimes didn't work
productive and fun
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 June 2018
good part time work experience management is very poor
staff are very friendly and sociable hours are slim so if your looking for full time goo luck productivity is slow
good
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 May 2018
working here was nothing to write home about... about the same as all the other customer service jobs I've worked with before, however canadian tire offered a much larger working environment with over 120 employees (at the location I was working at)
Pros
discounts on all canadian tire products
Friendly environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC23 May 2018
I have nothing bad to say about canadian tire. they were very good in training me and very helpful if i was stuck on a problem, everybody was always super nice
Good workplace environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON18 May 2018
The workplace at Canadian Tire is very good. Management is always helpful. Customers are always helped to the best of the abilities of all employees.
Good company, 50/50 rude and nice co workers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Stouffville, ON16 May 2018
You can definitely tell who is happy and who isn't happy to work at this place.

A typical day for me would be carts, cleaning, and customer service.
Pros
Customer Service
Cons
rude employers or employees, no proper communication
Was a good experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 May 2018
It def had its busy rush hour times and slower periods, if it was Christmas and busy you would get more hours otherwise dont expect full time hours. It was good retails experience and an overall nice environment, it was fun working in the automotive industry i def learned a lot!!
Poor management; can be demanding
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NS27 April 2018
Long hours, often called into work on days off, management was at times not good. Cashiers expected to complete various tasks. Co-workers are friendly, can be a stressful environment
Bad Summer Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON25 April 2018
Would not recommend summer students to take on this job. Even though I had a positive experience working with the company, I believe that students can find better opportunities to learn more about customer service.
A great job to start out.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON21 April 2018
A cashier at Canadian Tire is the typical job you expect when working with a large corporation. They're flexible with shift hours and the cash was easy to learn. There were a lot of things I felt were left out of training so I had an overload of questions when I worked my first shift alone, but the fellow cashiers were incredible open and kind to help me.
it was good
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC19 April 2018
It was a good job got a lot of hours up until February but then my hours got cut and I got a call in march that I got laid off. I wish I had some notice before then I would of not quit my last job.
Pros
breaks were paid
Cons
long shifts
Nice owner
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 April 2018
I worked for them when I was in high school. The owner rewarded me with a cash reward when I was honest about them paying me too much on my pay check.
Many slow nights with equally busy days
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC17 April 2018
In the old Canadian Tire building, I usually worked after school and on weekends. mos of the time, after 6-7:00 it was so slow, I would clean the tills, do homework, read. Weekends were much busier
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Boring
Fun workplace but not good management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 April 2018
fun job and easy but the management needs improvement. I have worked there for 2 years and has done a lot for the company but they oversee your hardship and when you make a small mistake they are easy to let you go
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
bad management
Overstaffed and uncooperative management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 April 2018
As a cashier we always had way too many clerks on shift (3-4 tills open after 5pm when you'd really only need one maybe 2 max). Due to this most cashiers would run out of things to do before noon, as all restocking, refacing, cleaning, returning carts, would already be completed. We were always being scolded for standing at our tills too long, but when we would leave to go reface/do other duties, we would get scolded for leaving the till. Overall the managers played favorites very strongly, and would never give time off if requested (even if it was a month to two months in advance).
Pros
Social Coworkers
Cons
Overstaffed, not enough work, slow.
Good work place environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON11 April 2018
A typical day working at Canadian Tire was pretty good, the job wasn't hard or difficult but there were some challenges along the way. But challenges are okay, it gives you something to work with. While working at Canadian Tire I learned how to work amongst my co-workers, interact with all sorts of different people and work a cash register. The hardest part of working at Canadian Tire was, sometimes, the customers and having to explain to them the prices on certain things, and why they were different prices on certain things and not others, but that problem was always solved very easily. The part I enjoyed the most about working at Canadian Tire was the people I worked with. The Canadian Tire team, is welcoming, happy, positive and all around good people.
Pros
good team of people to work with
Cons
Student Salary
Productive and good coworkers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 April 2018
Customer service. I learned to associate with different people. Good management. The hardest part of the job is returns and refunds. The most enjoyable part is to deal with different people every.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Less hours
Too understaffed which can be stressful
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NS3 April 2018
- Great coworkers
- Lack of help from managers when needed
- Understaffed
- Not too difficult overall, but when it is busy you're expected to do everything yourself with a lineup of customers
It's good
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 March 2018
I liked it a lot. The people I worked with where knowledgeable and nice. The manager where nice to me and patient and always willing to help and work with you on your schedule.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.

41.2K