Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd Employee Reviews

Given a mostly fair chance, I belly flopped. Fish out of water!
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 August 2018
I learned to keep your current job and be happy. And never work for a big company ever again.

I wanted to work for a large employer knowing that such companies typically have a lot of opportunities to advance, either within or outside your department. And from what I saw, this is very true here. If you prove yourself, you can be promoted. And between their entry level and the CEO, there are something like 12 levels to climb.

A lot of people have an an entire career there. It is easy to meet people who have been with CT for 10, 20, even 30+ years! It was really cool that they recognized these years of service with "pin parties".

But a word of caution: Like so many companies now, it seems like the only way to advance here is to manage people. So, they make managers out of people who are incredibly capable with technology or processes but have no business managing people.

And some of that management expects you to perform well above average before your 12 weeks of probation is up. Despite minimal training, a list of 15+ new things to learn and a very subjective criteria, I was cut before my probation was up despite being told more time would be put into helping me get up to spec. (Countless people told me that you need a full year before you really get up to speed.)

Within days they reposted my job, made it a senior position and upped the requirements. It is hard not to feel like they didn't really know what they wanted or needed. Which is totally fine for them. But I gave up a great job and now have to explain to a new employer why I have a gap
  more... in my resume.

A few other points:

While you work for the company, it really just feels like you are working for your department. It is hyper silo-ed here. You may work in a happy, well functioning department or you may work in one that is in flux or one where everyone is miserable. I'd suggest you do your homework before taking the job.

The same goes with the buildings and floors you are working on. Some are cube farms from the 80s, others are more up to date. The kitchen resources were wholly inadequate: one single basin sink for a floor of 100+ workers, no drying rack, no plates or anything provided even though their stores are full of these things. I always found that strange. Plan to eat out of your Tupperware and take it home dirty or eat in their cafeteria.

You can drink as much coffee as you want. The place seems to run on it.

Most people would eat at their desk--never a good sign. Which is too bad because the main eating area was quite nice and the food was good and offered at a discount.

I found my floor to be incredibly unfriendly. Most people ignored one another and walked around with a serious look or frown upon their face. Within departments people were more friendly. But again, some are better than others. Yours may be hostile or accepting and open toward outsiders--if at all possible, see if you can meet your future coworkers before accepting the offer.

Upper management did a fairly good job of keeping everyone informed of the high level developments.

Bottom line: take this review with a large grain of salt but try to get a REAL understanding of what you are walking into ESPECIALLY if you are mid career: your manager, the requirements, the expectations, your coworkers. It is entirely possible that you can have wonderful career here--many people told me before I worked here that it is a great place to work. My experience, based on my particular circumstances were quite different.
Pros
free coffee, right off the subway (HQ), opportunities to advance or stay for a long time
Cons
Unfriendly culture, inconsistent management
Fun, friendly, family work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Humboldt, SK17 August 2018
I absolutley loved Canadian Tire. I could go on and on about my amazing experience there. I loved the Customer Service we built as a team and we always put the customer first. I created such a strong family environment and I was very sad to leave but i am continuing my education in Saskatoon so I need to leave. I like working in retail and am good at doing stock and working till.
Retail Job
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL17 August 2018
Great first job; worked around my schooling hours and were always willing to accommodate you.
Management were there for many years and all have a great rapore together.
Pros
10 % discount
Cons
shiftwork
Nice work place if it was not for the bad management, managers mixing up personal life and work life.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Châteauguay, QC17 August 2018
I loved to work in the garden during the summer.
Mental illness kind of ruined this job for me but if I had a chance I would go back anytime (with other employees/managers)
Très bonne environnement
Gérante caissière (Former Employee) –  Roberval, QC16 August 2018
Je m occupais des horaires des caisses avant pour chaque employée leurs disait des metting un jour par mois balançait les caisse etc voir aux bon fonctionnement de la clientèle
Pros
Près de chez moi
Cons
Aucun
Busy store
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wainwright, AB16 August 2018
Engage with customer
stock shelves
clean shelves
look up items for customers
order items for customers
some warehouse stocking
automotives scheduling
Pros
good staff
Cons
Its been a great experience
Full/Part Time Employee (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON16 August 2018
This was my first real job and i still have it to this day. i enjoy my shifts because they keep me busy. ive learned a lot from this job, including Free hand merchandising, facing, customer service, etc. the hardest part of working retail of course is the rude customers.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Fun place to work
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 August 2018
Learned how to work independently and gained a lot of information useful for everyday life (automotive, hardware, tools, etc). For the volume of customers it was usually understaffed which was challenging at times, but it taught me efficiency and the concept 'work smart not hard'.
Super fun
Cashier, hardware, fill crew, seasonal , decor (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON14 August 2018
Everyone was always so nice and caring. there were a few issues with management but they were always eventually fixed. there are so many departments so its easy to find a place to fit in.
Pros
good hours
Cons
having to stay overtime
Mediocre workplace
Shipper and Receiver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 August 2018
CDN Tire was your a-typical shipping/receiving job. Unload trucks, manage warehouse organization and seperate online orders / ship-out orders.

Hardest part of the job was long hours in the truck during extreme heat and dealing with management from other departments.
Pros
Heart of Downtown, good places to go on break
Cons
Management ignored requests for new gear. Disjointed Departments that don't work well together.
Productive Experience
Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON13 August 2018
A typical day at Canadian Tire is fast paced and productive. There are many things to do such as stocking the floor, and managing the needs of customers. Management is frequently surveying the sales floor as the worker work constructively. The job is not considered hard at all, and seeing new faces are the most enjoyable part.
Pros
Decent hours of operation.
Cons
Minimal shifts.
Management and Work Culture is great
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON13 August 2018
Working with Canadian Tire gave me an experience about what is required from us to do at workplace. Punctuality, ethical behaviour, respect and safety of the employees are their core values.
Pros
Shifts are varied when required
Cons
Sometimes short hours
Canadian Tire
IT VENDOR MANAGEMENT SOURCING SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 August 2018
Great work enviorment, team that I worked with was knowledgeable and helpful when I started.

I was able to put my skills to work and save funds based on my skill set.

Helped some of the new team members with Negotiation Skills.
Pros
Great team
Cons
None.
Friendly and enjoyable workplace
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL12 August 2018
Management and staff were friendly and helpful, Safety didn't seem to be a top priority. Hours were sometimes long, sometimes working 8 AM to 10 PM and overtime pay was sometimes forgotten about.
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Cons
Long hours, unsafe, underpaid
Productive and great place to work
Hardware Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, NS12 August 2018
My job experience at Canadian tire was great always looked forward to going and interacted with co workers and customers the social aspect was great as was the job security
fun place to work
McMahon Stadium Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 August 2018
awful boss but i believe the boss has changed since i worked there, managers and supervisors are nice if you do your work and cashier are nice, good place to work
fun work place
Accounts Payable Support (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON10 August 2018
Fun work place but no growth. If you apply internally they will only hire the people in their own department even if you are qualified. Less chances of becoming permanent.
Pros
no time issue
Cons
management only favours girls
The company was very accomodating to my work needs
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hanover, ON9 August 2018
This job was a part time job in addition to a full time job. I had stretched myself a little too thin and perhaps would rate this job higher otherwise.
Pros
Social committee was inclusive
Cons
More hours given than I was able to work
Low paying entry level
Automotive Parts Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 August 2018
Always a culture and feeling that you were never there permanently. Management is always changing and wages are minimal at best. No training or very very little and a very cliquish environment.
Employés peut respectés
Responsable Quincaillerie - Équipe des ventes (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 August 2018
Management chez CT est tres souvent déplorable et insatisfaisant

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Tire Corporation Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K