Canadian Red Cross

Canadian Red Cross Employee Reviews

Your coworkers feel like family and the work is incredibly rewarding/engaging. There is a culture of support and collaboration. Strong work/life balance, albeit reduced during major responses.
Once you’re on the main floor with the core. It’s good. Above and beyond that they’re clueless and prefer to use derogatory language instead of using constructive criticism. If you’re looking to pay your bills...sure, for sure not a place to be long term. They posses an excessive high turnover rate.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Supervisors
For a humanitarian org, this place treated me and some of my colleagues terribly. They took on more than they could handle with the Covid-19 response.
Pros
your work can make a difference in people's lives
Cons
stressful, poor communication from management, missing pay
It is a wonderful experience to be working with CRC.There is a human approach.If you love to serve and help others this is your place.It is good !!
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Make face to adversity
Be prepared to work with all kinds of personalities. Management non existent until performance reviews, which make little sense particularly when you throw a disaster into the mix. Expectation to drop everything to focus on a natural disaster, (hurricane/tsunami) yet during yearly review, this employee heard nothing but negative comments from one ghost ' manager'. No positives for stepping up, working lots of OT with out pay, learning a new computer system that had been rolled out during a disaster. Loved the coworkers; got along with the whole team. Made life long friends who volunteered in the office.
Pros
Genuine, good people at the branch level
Cons
Out of touch management. Lots of big egos.
Good company to work at. As most of the times you will be deployed to manage emergency situation so the job can get challenging and stressful. Company take good care of it's employees.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Most jobs are temporary/casual
Wonderful interview! It was a very thorough interview with challenging situation scenarios. It takes a lot of courage and confidence to work here but I am sure it will be worth it. Highly recommend working here.
Pros
Great interview. Noble humanitarian organization.
The Red Cross operates according to rigid hierarchy. It's a very middle class culture & many employees aspire to higher positions in the organization so there's lots of competition. There is little to no transparency on the part of management. Nobody can speak honestly about internal problems. Donors must be protected at all costs from hearing about internal issues. The pay is ok, the work is meaningful but they really work their people too hard & provide little to no training.
Pros
You get to meet lots of wonderful volunteers.
Cons
Toxic internal culture. Old school patriarchal style management. No transparency.
To put it simply a lot of old ways and resistant to change. The philanthropy team is led by a bully with his flying monkeys. Leadership should consider diversity. Too many of the same faces. CRC needs to change drastically!
Pros
Great staff
Cons
A lot of bullies. It might be time to revise your anti-bullying policy.
Volunteer position, work at your own pace,Case working , scheduling, team concept, client based structures,Covid competincies,, Hardest part can be 24/7,,Enjoyable self rewarding,,,
i worked part time for a few months then was asked to work full time. the company cannot keep women so they beg you to take hrs. at one point i was working 60 hrs a week... driving all over the area wher i lived. the operators who book you are really pushy in fact i would say they bully you into doing more hrs. i became super stressed and felt i couldnt say no. theres no protection as a worker..you dont know who or what situation you will walk into. dead people in their homes, nasty people. people smoking pot while you are trapped in their apt...really terrible. almost dangerous. so many women leave the pay hasnt changed in over ten yrs even tho theres a union. dont do it.....
Pros
you work alone
Cons
theres no support they dont care if u are stressed or scared
I work with Red Cross because of their ability to organize and help those in need. I love working with Red Cross they have given experiences I’ll never get anywhere else
Pros
Travel
Cons
Disaster
I enjoy working with the whole staff at Employers Options. They are readily available should I have concerns or questions regarding an assignment and have always tried to place me into positions where I can possibly be hired as a regular employee.
Pros
Culture, Opportunity, Meaningful Work
Cons
Très bien de travaillé chez la quoi rouge Canadienne c’est une vraie famille.En aide les autres personnes dans le besoin,Très valorisant comme travail Jusqu’à nos jours j’aime beaucoup travaillé avec eux
Pros
Excellent travail
Cons
Le système informatique un peu compliqué
The red Cross has by far been my favorite place to work as a fundraiser. Management always gives helpful feedback. Benefits for full-time permanent employees. Most importantly it's okay if you don't get a donor because working directly for a charity like the Red Cross means that they're looking for Quality Doner above quantity of illness.
During my work experience at this Red Cross location during a stressful time in the City of Calgary, the gossip, administrative dysfunction, lack of nonbiased and cultural insensitivity were extensive. Lack of compassion and empathy was incredible. It was such a shock as the Red Cross has an international reputation of a humanitarian organization. That they demonstrate and embrace value-based leadership- regrettably, the Calgary location does not.
Pros
Some of the staff and many of the clients
Cons
Disfunctional leadership and their promotion and validation of gossip
Red Cross is the perfect spot to work. Your not always stressed. Nice people to be around. Friendly, quiet, slow paced (which is a bonus). Easy work!.
Pros
Can take a washroom break whenever needed
Too stressful, not enough support, lack of direction and training . Often times performing responsibilities that were not in the job description nor any training for
I supported the vice president for Alberta and the Northwest Territories and provided administrative support to the HR department. Everyone I worked with was fantastic and supportive.
Great place to know about the vulnerable people's situation in Canada and all over the world. Enjoy working with CRC. Very friendly co-workers and understanding management
My job was to teach first aid and train life guards. I had to maintain current qualifications which meant training as a group underneath a leader. The job itself is independent, creating scenarios, presenting information, evaluating trainees, etc. I enjoyed the freedom of my courses.
  1. Employee reviews