Canadian Nuclear Laboratories

Canadian Nuclear Laboratories Employee Reviews

Working in the trades on site is very limited as most of the large jobs are contracted out so trades only get the small tasks to do.A lot of sitting around and waiting for work to start.Micro managed and poor supervision.They are big on safety on site
Pros
Good benefit package
Work was great, safe, all personnel friendly, supportive. Felt as a big family that is positive and willing to work hard, teach, learn and play. Company is oriented to research and innovations and supports anyone with their projects and impacts on future
Pros
great people, safe, fun
Cons
in the middle of the nowhere
good workplace diversity in culture friendly collogues employee benefits management good flexible work times highly educated workforce prod history in research
During my 10 years at CNL, I had the opportunity to experience varying job positions, interfacing with many aspects of the company. This company is very dynamic and energetic and has many exciting times ahead.
CNL lets you easily enjoy a work and home life balance, you are usually home every night and you get paid well enough that you feel okay to leave and not have to work extra hours.
Pros
Good Pay, Paid Training, Opportunity to advancing your career
Great opportunity for training and advancement. Has benefits and pension package. Commute was a little tiresome (45 min) each way. All types of employment offered on the R&D campus (days, shift) technical, non-technical etc.
The group that i specifically work with is amazing however there is a less than desirable culture in the area. This could be the result of the area where the company is located.
I would return in a minute if given the right opportunity. I've was employed for 18 years and have seen great improvements in the last 4 years since GOCO
I worked at the NRU, a nuclear research reactor, at the Chalk River Laboratories. Before it was permanently shutdown in March 2018, it was my privilege to be part of the team that kept the reactor running that helped millions of people with cancer diagnosis and treatment. It was a unique environment to work in, with a mix of old and new technologies, and sometimes developing the technologies to meet the needs of the reactor.
Poor management, systems and regulations. The systems prevents you from performing your tasks efficiently. Short hours Friendly community, people are helpful in getting to know the nature of your work
Pros
short hours
Cons
poor systems
The job can be very interesting and also very very slow. (as with any government job) If you work here expect a lot of training and some super slow days.
I have been working there for more than a year. I am looking forward to leave and find a new job. The working conditions are poor. A lot of silo and lack of team work. Some managers like more employee than others and so there is a lot of differential treatment and favoritism . If you are not happy there , it is difficult to look for job since the area is isolated and difficult to commute to major cities . I do not recommend this place!
Pros
Nice area in summer
Cons
Lack of respect
Each department's culture is entirely different; they are all more or less separate of each other. I enjoyed working for the Business Development department; it was very relaxed, and we were able to interact with each of the departments and have a wide variety of projects to complete.
Pros
fun work retreats and job perks
Cons
commute is horrible
Long waits in traffic to arrive in mornings, lots of parking but far walk to offices. Necessary security processes make it difficult for break time to get to food accessibility. Remote location require travel to work with no transit options for the local area. Overall great place to work if you are willing to do the drive and walks, benefits are incredible as well as the salaries. Atmosphere is good but some uncertainty for the future of the company however promises for a growing organization.
CNL was a great company to work for over the summer. I gained vast knowledge in my field. I would recommend anyone to work at Canadian nuclear laboratories.
CNL is a great place to work but definitely needs to work on management. The people there love to work but management is holding them back. Morale would be better if upper management focused more on their employees than their annual bonuses.
Pros
Salary, benefits
Cons
Poor Management
I greatly enjoyed my time at CNL and felt included and nurtured during my 4 month internship. I was encouraged to ask questions and was mentored by several individuals during my time there. There are so many departments, there is always a new challenge to undertake once hired.
Pros
Nice work environment
Cons
Far from the city
The company is going through tremendous changes , however, the old guard is still controlling and the mentality did not change. The people from the area believe it is their company and they hire from within. Do not not be surprised to see a secretary becoming a manager after 10 year of work. They train their staff so much they lack skills. Interesting , an employee who follow few hours of training will claim he or she is an expert in the field. Avoid because, the place is full of harassment and bullying
Pros
good benefit
Cons
a lot of unqualified people are have managerial position
Poor management, supply chain manager micro manage employee. Manager has no nuclear experience and cannot advice in nuclear related issue in procurement. All other people are helpful. Opportunity available to learn. Non union employee has difficulty to get into unionized position.
Pros
Opportunity to learn new things
Cons
To return of hard work
Workplace is very good Management are poor take too long to do anything for employee/ People at CNL are great Morale in Radiation Protection is very low
Pros
People are great
Cons
Radiation Protection management are clueless
Great place to work to have a good work and life balance. Its perfect if you want to help create a better future for people, as the work done there will help out with the medical industry.