Canadian Nuclear Laboratories
View all Canadian Nuclear Laboratories reviews

Canadian Nuclear Laboratories

Canadian Nuclear Laboratories Employee Review

Ideal work environment for Design Engineer

The working environment is very ideal. Design is done in a safe manner, not corners cut. And no design is done in rush. But is also depends on the members in your team. Luckily, I am in a team which is very co-operative and understanding.

4.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement

Uninspiring

Your experience will vary widely depending on your position. But overall the work is quite uninspiring. The pace is really slow. The company is full of life-timers who have very deeply entrenched ways of doing things and cannot tolerate newer ways of working. The location is not the best one could hope for. Good if you're used to living in small towns with almost zero options for good food and restaurants and variety of cuisines. You are virtually stuck in a well.

Challenging Work and Busy Environment

The work at CNL is challenging and there are a number of interesting initiatives planned for the future. The workplace is hectic with multiple projects happening at the same time and some groups are not as well resourced as others, making for lots of work for fewer people. The compensation is good and the benefits are great, but it's easy to get burned out fast. Still, it's a good place to work.

Pros

Good pay, benefits and interesting work.

Cons

The fast pace and multiple projects can cause burnout quickly.
Same location

The best fit of my career, doing work that matters to humanity.

CNL does work that matters to all of humanity. The pay and benefits are very good, and most employees enjoy the protection of a union. The management team aspires to greatness, but falls down in execution, which in part is a consequence of a long transition from being purely a federally-funded research and development lab, to, a commercially-driven organization. Personally, this place is the best fit of my career, and there are no barriers to what I can achieve. The fact that my work is now 100% remote, coupled with the very good pay, means that virtually no other employer can make a good-enough offer to entice me away.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Nuclear Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement