Canadian Nuclear Laboratories

Canadian Nuclear Laboratories Job security & advancement reviews

Working in the trades on site is very limited as most of the large jobs are contracted out so trades only get the small tasks to do.A lot of sitting around and waiting for work to start.Micro managed and poor supervision.They are big on safety on site
Pros
Good benefit package
Worked for great people and was provided with an abundance of training in various programs. Hours were flexible and pay was generous. Employees were kept up to date with the various projects going on.
Good company to work for to meet new people in the area. Lots of different branches with in the company to venture into to best benefit yourself and the company.
CNL is a great place to work. A lot of teamwork and a great research laboratory. There are a variety of avenues that can be explored at Canadian Nuclear Laboratory.
Flexible working environment and cooperative employees. The company provides a lot of learning opportunities to enhance your interpersonal, technical skills.
Spent over seven years with this organization. The last three years, several organizational/management/staffing changes. I have simply decided to step away from the nuclear industry.
It was very clicky up there and I felt very in the way and dumb. Was to be a one year term and I was let go at 6 months as the person off came back early.
Being a first year student, I didn't have a lot of prior work experience. The engineers there were very lenient and put me up to speed and gave me a lot of tasks to learn with.
The company is seriously mismanaged and experiencing financial struggles that are affecting productivity, the culture and job security. Management is very secretive about true long term goals and the true plan is not disclosed to current employees. The company is working very hard to downsize employees. There has been recent large scale layoffs with rumblings of more to come in the very near future. I do NOT recommend with the current state of affairs with CNL.
Canadian Nuclear Laboratories at Pinawa is the best working plant for people who seeking the retirement shortly. Or old age people. Because there are nothing much to do there. Most of the buildings are gone. Process are stopped. No maintenance , Boiler equipments. It’s a nuclear company but no documentation. No support from engineers because they don’t have enough knowledge.All experience people are gone.
Wide range of work environments, as organization is very compartmentalized. Lots of corporate noise about ethics, transformation, safety and respect. Actual behaviour does not align with messaging. The site operating company exists to milk as much from their 10 year contract as they can, and don't seem to have any qualms about misrepresenting the success of their projects and initiatives. The key to a advancement is being willing to repeat any corporate spin without shame. "High Performing Organization" means layoffs. "Environmental Remediation" means creating rubble piles by tearing down buildings. "Safety Culture" means lots of paperwork and no ownership. I could go on. If you are a performer, be prepared to be obstructed at every turn. The place is still a bureaucracy. How you are treated will depend on who you work for. Some groups have managers that should never be put in charge of people. Bullies. Others have genuinely good people and competent leaders in charge. Management direction is schizophrenic as there seems to be a revolving door at the director level. The more junior you are, and the less you know, the better this place gets. Good pay for the area, adequate benefits, untested pension plans (cut off from government pension plans in 2018). If you have to take medical time off, be prepared for daily calls and demands to return to work from Morneau Shepell agents. They have a contract to harass employees back to work. DO NOT recommend for positions with IT, Supply Chain, Project Management, Health and Safety, Trades, Environmental Sciences. Most of the - more...
I enjoy working here but there is no job security and layoffs have already begun. Often it is impossible to advance due to abundance of unions and over regulation.
has a relaxed culture as it is government, it was an internship so pay was slightly above average but the type of work you get to work on is super interesting.
These positions doesn't come often but once reached you are in good hands. They care about you which in return you care as much and your work is valued, appreciated and the Culture was best experience in the world. Financially secure and stability.
Nice place to work enjoyed being employed with the company. Great opportunity for those that want to learn and have the ability to manage fast paced workloads.
Lots of opportunities to learn but in transition to private ownership now so somewhat unstable job security. Great people and relaxed atmosphere. Very modern equipment and well maintained.
Prior to the company becoming Government Owned, Contractor Operated (GOCO) it was a truly great place to work. Great people, good culture. Since then, the atmosphere has been quite tense, with vast uncertainty about the future. If you are just looking for short term work with good pay, it could be a good fit for you. If you are looking for a career, look elsewhere. And if you decide to work there and are coming in from another area, rent and don't buy a home!
CNL is contractor ran and over the last few years there seems to be a decline in morale and lack of respect and communication. This has made if difficult to get work done but have been able to attend lots of training.
Pros
Salary is okay
Cons
Contractor Operated
this company has been good to work for but are facing many challenges with the new direction of the company and the federal government. The hardest part of the job is to work through the company processes and procedures to meet all your annual deliverables. The overall culture is very broken because of all the uncertainty and change going on with the new direction of the company.
Unfortunately, my experience has been an overall negative one. I was hired along with another person for a 1-year term to be part of an overall CNL growth plan at the time. However ironically after only nine (9) months into our contracts, my coworker and I were both called in and told that due to budget cuts our positions at CNL would not be renewed. CNL is a great place to work, and I believe they offer a lot of interesting jobs and opportunities, In my case, however, I believe budget cuts hijacked our department growth plans and have negated the reasons why we were first hired. Definitely, in my opinion, this has been a step backwards for the CNL department I worked.in. They will now have to revert back to their previous staffing arrangments. and roles, and face the same challenges that were there when we were first hired. Very disappointing!
Pros
Good work, and good people.
Cons
Job security, CNL finanacial concerns
At cnl you can live cheaply in a beautiful setting but still earn like you live in a city. Perfect place if you enjoy the outdoors and want a career in science and tech
Pros
Interesting work. Pays well. Good benefits
Cons
Can be cliquey. Remote location means you make your own entertainment.