Canadian Nuclear Laboratories

Canadian Nuclear Laboratories Employee Reviews

Nice but inefficient

I liked my work and wasn't stressed. The range of work is great and managers are understanding but the beaurocracy slows work so much that it really hamstrings research.

Pros

Good wage, low stress

Cons

Inefficient

My experience at CNL was positive and great team environment.

Really enjoyed working at CNL. I would highly recommend to anyone looking for engineering opportunity and great experience.Great training program and professional development opportunities.

Respected and treated like a valuable member of the team.

I love this place. Love it.Perhaps it is because I am a 31 year veteran AND worked for 5 years for a company providing training for the military that I just amazed that supervisors/managers can be respectful and not abusive. The respect I receive is off the charts and the benefits are equally amazing. I simply love love my job of courseware development.

Pros

Creative freedom.

Cons

The odd dinosaur who should retire.

Non productive

Working in the trades on site is very limited as most of the large jobs are contracted out so trades only get the small tasks to do.A lot of sitting around and waiting for work to start.Micro managed and poor supervision.They are big on safety on site

Pros

Good benefit package

Contract software developer

I really enjoyed working with CNL. I was well qualified for the work so had little trouble delivering. One really should know what they’re doing to succeed here. It’s not for remedial learning. What made it stand out was the lack of office politics. Egos were in check and respect was mutual all the way around.

Pros

Interesting work, excellent pay, good people

Cons

IT infrastructure was a bit weak in places but this challenge was fun.

Great company to work for.

Worked for great people and was provided with an abundance of training in various programs. Hours were flexible and pay was generous. Employees were kept up to date with the various projects going on.

Professional workplace with friendly co-workers

Good company to work for to meet new people in the area. Lots of different branches with in the company to venture into to best benefit yourself and the company.

World Class facility

CNL is a great place to work. A lot of teamwork and a great research laboratory. There are a variety of avenues that can be explored at Canadian Nuclear Laboratory.

Stay away

Stressful, toxic culture. Leadership is clueless, have no accountability, with rampant nepotism. Project is perpetually late and missing deadlines with new leaders, project will likely be taken away from CNL in near future, leaving many out of work.

Great working environment

Flexible working environment and cooperative employees. The company provides a lot of learning opportunities to enhance your interpersonal, technical skills.

Learning experience

Spent over seven years with this organization. The last three years, several organizational/management/staffing changes. I have simply decided to step away from the nuclear industry.

Great Place to work and people to work with

People are great and Work atmosphere is superb. Top dollars paid. Quiet town and good Nature around. Work @ cottage kind of setting.

Not happy with how I was wrongfully dismissed and not offered another position.

It was very clicky up there and I felt very in the way and dumb. Was to be a one year term and I was let go at 6 months as the person off came back early.

Great Place to work

Good experience for other jobs easy work and lots of available overtime Friendly enviroment + Flexible + Good bosses Great pay , respectful environment

Pros

Great People

Cons

Very Political

A lot to learn from

Being a first year student, I didn't have a lot of prior work experience. The engineers there were very lenient and put me up to speed and gave me a lot of tasks to learn with.

There is a deteriorating culture and lack of trust at CNL

The company is seriously mismanaged and experiencing financial struggles that are affecting productivity, the culture and job security. Management is very secretive about true long term goals and the true plan is not disclosed to current employees. The company is working very hard to downsize employees. There has been recent large scale layoffs with rumblings of more to come in the very near future. I do NOT recommend with the current state of affairs with CNL.

Best company for people who seeking retirement soon

Canadian Nuclear Laboratories at Pinawa is the best working plant for people who seeking the retirement shortly. Or old age people. Because there are nothing much to do there. Most of the buildings are gone. Process are stopped. No maintenance , Boiler equipments. It’s a nuclear company but no documentation. No support from engineers because they don’t have enough knowledge.All experience people are gone.

lacking ethics, leadership

Wide range of work environments, as organization is very compartmentalized. Lots of corporate noise about ethics, transformation, safety and respect. Actual behaviour does not align with messaging. The site operating company exists to milk as much from their 10 year contract as they can, and don't seem to have any qualms about misrepresenting the success of their projects and initiatives. The key to a advancement is being willing to repeat any corporate spin without shame. "High Performing Organization" means layoffs. "Environmental Remediation" means creating rubble piles by tearing down buildings. "Safety Culture" means lots of paperwork and no ownership. I could go on. If you are a performer, be prepared to be obstructed at every turn. The place is still a bureaucracy. How you are treated will depend on who you work for. Some groups have managers that should never be put in charge of people. Bullies. Others have genuinely good people and competent leaders in charge. Management direction is schizophrenic as there seems to be a revolving door at the director level. The more junior you are, and the less you know, the better this place gets. Good pay for the area, adequate benefits, untested pension plans (cut off from government pension plans in 2018). If you have to take medical time off, be prepared for daily calls and demands to return to work from Morneau Shepell agents. They have a contract to harass employees back to work. DO NOT recommend for positions with IT, Supply Chain, Project Management, Health and Safety, Trades, Environmental Sciences. Most of the -

Challenging, highly regulated environment

Conflicting priorities inherent of the environment sometimes made work challenging. Process driven challenges and change management resistance was evident on a daily basis.

Co-workers are amazing, the area is beautiful. Management was beyond terrible.

I enjoy working here but there is no job security and layoffs have already begun. Often it is impossible to advance due to abundance of unions and over regulation.

unique workplace

has a relaxed culture as it is government, it was an internship so pay was slightly above average but the type of work you get to work on is super interesting.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Nuclear Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement