Canadian Nuclear Laboratories

Canadian Nuclear Laboratories Employee Reviews

I liked my work and wasn't stressed. The range of work is great and managers are understanding but the beaurocracy slows work so much that it really hamstrings research.
Pros
Good wage, low stress
Cons
Inefficient
I love this place. Love it.Perhaps it is because I am a 31 year veteran AND worked for 5 years for a company providing training for the military that I just amazed that supervisors/managers can be respectful and not abusive. The respect I receive is off the charts and the benefits are equally amazing. I simply love love my job of courseware development.
Pros
Creative freedom.
Cons
The odd dinosaur who should retire.
After being turned over to CNL lots of lay-offs and restructuring happening at CNL. It is still a top heavy company. It was a liability of Federal Government to clean up the site basically. longer time career growth and advancement should not be expected from CNL
Pros
Relaxed work environment
Cons
Working in the trades on site is very limited as most of the large jobs are contracted out so trades only get the small tasks to do.A lot of sitting around and waiting for work to start.Micro managed and poor supervision.They are big on safety on site
Pros
Good benefit package
I really enjoyed working with CNL. I was well qualified for the work so had little trouble delivering. One really should know what they’re doing to succeed here. It’s not for remedial learning. What made it stand out was the lack of office politics. Egos were in check and respect was mutual all the way around.
Pros
Interesting work, excellent pay, good people
Cons
IT infrastructure was a bit weak in places but this challenge was fun.
Worked for great people and was provided with an abundance of training in various programs. Hours were flexible and pay was generous. Employees were kept up to date with the various projects going on.
Good company to work for to meet new people in the area. Lots of different branches with in the company to venture into to best benefit yourself and the company.
CNL is a great place to work. A lot of teamwork and a great research laboratory. There are a variety of avenues that can be explored at Canadian Nuclear Laboratory.
Stressful, toxic culture. Leadership is clueless, have no accountability, with rampant nepotism. Project is perpetually late and missing deadlines with new leaders, project will likely be taken away from CNL in near future, leaving many out of work.
Flexible working environment and cooperative employees. The company provides a lot of learning opportunities to enhance your interpersonal, technical skills.
Spent over seven years with this organization. The last three years, several organizational/management/staffing changes. I have simply decided to step away from the nuclear industry.
People are great and Work atmosphere is superb. Top dollars paid. Quiet town and good Nature around. Work @ cottage kind of setting.
It was very clicky up there and I felt very in the way and dumb. Was to be a one year term and I was let go at 6 months as the person off came back early.
Good experience for other jobs easy work and lots of available overtime Friendly enviroment + Flexible + Good bosses Great pay , respectful environment
Pros
Great People
Cons
Very Political
Being a first year student, I didn't have a lot of prior work experience. The engineers there were very lenient and put me up to speed and gave me a lot of tasks to learn with.
The company is seriously mismanaged and experiencing financial struggles that are affecting productivity, the culture and job security. Management is very secretive about true long term goals and the true plan is not disclosed to current employees. The company is working very hard to downsize employees. There has been recent large scale layoffs with rumblings of more to come in the very near future. I do NOT recommend with the current state of affairs with CNL.
Canadian Nuclear Laboratories at Pinawa is the best working plant for people who seeking the retirement shortly. Or old age people. Because there are nothing much to do there. Most of the buildings are gone. Process are stopped. No maintenance , Boiler equipments. It’s a nuclear company but no documentation. No support from engineers because they don’t have enough knowledge.All experience people are gone.
Wide range of work environments, as organization is very compartmentalized. Lots of corporate noise about ethics, transformation, safety and respect. Actual behaviour does not align with messaging. The site operating company exists to milk as much from their 10 year contract as they can, and don't seem to have any qualms about misrepresenting the success of their projects and initiatives. The key to a advancement is being willing to repeat any corporate spin without shame. "High Performing Organization" means layoffs. "Environmental Remediation" means creating rubble piles by tearing down buildings. "Safety Culture" means lots of paperwork and no ownership. I could go on. If you are a performer, be prepared to be obstructed at every turn. The place is still a bureaucracy. How you are treated will depend on who you work for. Some groups have managers that should never be put in charge of people. Bullies. Others have genuinely good people and competent leaders in charge. Management direction is schizophrenic as there seems to be a revolving door at the director level. The more junior you are, and the less you know, the better this place gets. Good pay for the area, adequate benefits, untested pension plans (cut off from government pension plans in 2018). If you have to take medical time off, be prepared for daily calls and demands to return to work from Morneau Shepell agents. They have a contract to harass employees back to work. DO NOT recommend for positions with IT, Supply Chain, Project Management, Health and Safety, Trades, Environmental Sciences. Most of the - more...
Conflicting priorities inherent of the environment sometimes made work challenging. Process driven challenges and change management resistance was evident on a daily basis.
I enjoy working here but there is no job security and layoffs have already begun. Often it is impossible to advance due to abundance of unions and over regulation.
has a relaxed culture as it is government, it was an internship so pay was slightly above average but the type of work you get to work on is super interesting.