Canadian Nuclear Laboratories
Canadian Nuclear Laboratories Employee Review

Work at CNL can be uncertain!

27 May 2019
Unfortunately, my experience has been an overall negative one. I was hired along with another person for a 1-year term to be part of an overall CNL growth plan at the time. However ironically after only nine (9) months into our contracts, my coworker and I were both called in and told that due to budget cuts our positions at CNL would not be renewed. CNL is a great place to work, and I believe they offer a lot of interesting jobs and opportunities, In my case, however, I believe budget cuts hijacked our department growth plans and have negated the reasons why we were first hired. Definitely, in my opinion, this has been a step backwards for the CNL department I worked.in. They will now have to revert back to their previous staffing arrangments. and roles, and face the same challenges that were there when we were first hired. Very disappointing!
1.0Job security/advancement
Pros
Good work, and good people.
Cons
Job security, CNL finanacial concerns
27 April 2021
Research Scientist (Current Employee) - Chalk River, ON
I liked my work and wasn't stressed. The range of work is great and managers are understanding but the beaurocracy slows work so much that it really hamstrings research.
Pros
Good wage, low stress
Cons
Inefficient
29 January 2021
Training Consultant (Current Employee) - Chalk River, ON
I love this place. Love it.Perhaps it is because I am a 31 year veteran AND worked for 5 years for a company providing training for the military that I just amazed that supervisors/managers can be respectful and not abusive. The respect I receive is off the charts and the benefits are equally amazing. I simply love love my job of courseware development.
Pros
Creative freedom.
Cons
The odd dinosaur who should retire.
11 October 2020
Carpenter (Former Employee) - Chalk River, ON
Working in the trades on site is very limited as most of the large jobs are contracted out so trades only get the small tasks to do.A lot of sitting around and waiting for work to start.Micro managed and poor supervision.They are big on safety on site
Pros
Good benefit package