Canadian Nuclear Laboratories Employee Reviews

Administrative Assistant (Full-time) (Current Employee) –  Chalk River, ON8 August 2018
CNL lets you easily enjoy a work and home life balance, you are usually home every night and you get paid well enough that you feel okay to leave and not have to work extra hours.
Pros
Good Pay, Paid Training, Opportunity to advancing your career
Worked here for 13 years +. Would go back.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ON25 June 2018
Great opportunity for training and advancement. Has benefits and pension package.

Commute was a little tiresome (45 min) each way.

All types of employment offered on the R&D campus (days, shift) technical, non-technical etc.
Good Company to work for
Waste Characterization Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chalk River, ON28 May 2018
The group that i specifically work with is amazing however there is a less than desirable culture in the area. This could be the result of the area where the company is located.
Great Company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ON11 May 2018
I would return in a minute if given the right opportunity. I've was employed for 18 years and have seen great improvements in the last 4 years since GOCO
Great People, Unique Work Environment
Engineering Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ON2 April 2018
I worked at the NRU, a nuclear research reactor, at the Chalk River Laboratories. Before it was permanently shutdown in March 2018, it was my privilege to be part of the team that kept the reactor running that helped millions of people with cancer diagnosis and treatment. It was a unique environment to work in, with a mix of old and new technologies, and sometimes developing the technologies to meet the needs of the reactor.
Slow going
Decontamination Operator (Former Employee) –  Pinawa, MB1 February 2018
The job can be very interesting and also very very slow. (as with any government job) If you work here expect a lot of training and some super slow days.
Sick place
Procurement Officer (Current Employee) –  Deep River, ON15 December 2017
I have been working there for more than a year. I am looking forward to leave and find a new job. The working conditions are poor. A lot of silo and lack of team work. Some managers like more employee than others and so there is a lot of differential treatment and favoritism . If you are not happy there , it is difficult to look for job since the area is isolated and difficult to commute to major cities . I do not recommend this place!
Pros
Nice area in summer
Cons
Lack of respect
Interesting company to work for
Business Associate (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ON1 December 2017
Each department's culture is entirely different; they are all more or less separate of each other.

I enjoyed working for the Business Development department; it was very relaxed, and we were able to interact with each of the departments and have a wide variety of projects to complete.
Pros
fun work retreats and job perks
Cons
commute is horrible
Great benefits, nice plant, uncertainty
Corporate Adminstrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ON22 November 2017
Long waits in traffic to arrive in mornings, lots of parking but far walk to offices.
Necessary security processes make it difficult for break time to get to food accessibility.
Remote location require travel to work with no transit options for the local area.
Overall great place to work if you are willing to do the drive and walks, benefits are incredible as well as the salaries. Atmosphere is good but some uncertainty for the future of the company however promises for a growing organization.
Great work environment, mentally stimulating
INSTRUMENTATION AND CONTROL DEIGNER SUMMER STUDENT (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ON17 November 2017
CNL was a great company to work for over the summer. I gained vast knowledge in my field. I would recommend anyone to work at Canadian nuclear laboratories.

Want to know more about Canadian Nuclear Laboratories?

Ask a question
Secure employment with good renumeration
HR Associate (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, Ontario6 November 2017
CNL is a great place to work but definitely needs to work on management. The people there love to work but management is holding them back. Morale would be better if upper management focused more on their employees than their annual bonuses.
Pros
Salary, benefits
Cons
Poor Management
CNL is an Inclusive and Growing Company
Project Manager’s Assistant/Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ON20 September 2017
I greatly enjoyed my time at CNL and felt included and nurtured during my 4 month internship. I was encouraged to ask questions and was mentored by several individuals during my time there. There are so many departments, there is always a new challenge to undertake once hired.
Pros
Nice work environment
Cons
Far from the city
Avoid at all cost !
Contract officer (Current Employee) –  Deep River, ON7 September 2017
The company is going through tremendous changes , however, the old guard is still controlling and the mentality did not change.
The people from the area believe it is their company and they hire from within. Do not not be surprised to see a secretary becoming a manager after 10 year of work. They train their staff so much they lack skills. Interesting , an employee who follow few hours of training will claim he or she is an expert in the field.
Avoid because, the place is full of harassment and bullying
Pros
good benefit
Cons
a lot of unqualified people are have managerial position
Great learning opportunity
Procurement Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chalk River, ON16 July 2017
Poor management, supply chain manager micro manage employee. Manager has no nuclear experience and cannot advice in nuclear related issue in procurement. All other people are helpful. Opportunity available to learn. Non union employee has difficulty to get into unionized position.
Pros
Opportunity to learn new things
Cons
To return of hard work
Workplace is fine
Contamination Monitor (Current Employee) –  Chalk River, ON3 May 2017
Workplace is very good
Management are poor take too long to do anything for employee/
People at CNL are great
Morale in Radiation Protection is very low
Pros
People are great
Cons
Radiation Protection management are clueless
Co-op
Junior Physics Analyst in R&D, Co-op (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ON18 April 2017
Great place to work to have a good work and life balance. Its perfect if you want to help create a better future for people, as the work done there will help out with the medical industry.
Research & Development
Research Scientist (Current Employee) –  Chalk River, ON4 April 2017
I appreciated the opportunity to work at the prestigious site at Chalk River. I met and worked with many very talented individuals and learned many items in my field of interest. Although it was not initially clear as to my role at this site, I was given many roles during my nine years working there. I served as trainer, coordinator, research scientist, work permit authorizer, safety officer, decommissioning specialist, document writer for preliminary decommissioning document, emergency preparedness procedures, equipment commissioning, decommissioning readiness preparedness document and form. Every item was a unique experience.
Pros
Many opportunities to learn.
Cons
Societal segregation based on levels of education.
Intimidating supervisor made the Co-op term experience unbearable.
Computer Science Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB25 January 2017
It sucked. The supervisor was intimidating and the work was uninteresting and just plain boring. Apply to some other company.
Excellent place to work
Maintenance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ON9 December 2016
Worked there for 25 years. Challenging positions, but very rewarding experience. Some growing pains as the company transitions from government managed to privately managed, but continually improving.
Pros
Very safety oriented company.
Cons
Some of the infrastructure is old and outdated.
Co-op
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Chalk River, ON2 October 2016
I was a co-op summer student that had the opportunity to work at CNL for three weeks.

It was a great experience.

Unfortunately there was not enough time here. Three weeks at a job placement is never enough.

It was a good learning experience.
Pros
Amazing supervisor that really shared her knowledge with me.
Cons
Long hours, not enough to keep busy.