Canadian Nuclear Laboratories

Insights into Canadian Nuclear Laboratories

What people like
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Inclusive work environment

Good place to work...The pension is great compared to other private sector.Unionized position. I had worked with lot of experience knowdgeble people

Pros

Good learning curve

Cons

Some time work is slow

Lots of potential, destroyed by bureaucracy

It used to be a great place. Now seem to be in a crisis. People are too inclined to maintain the status-quo. There are lots of smart people, but can't use their full potential because of the poor structure.

Energy and drive are not rewarded.

The organization is driven by procedure and rules that often interfere with the efficient and successful completion of projects. Energy and drive are not rewarded. Management often has an adversarial relationship with staff, partially driven by distrust between union and management. Very unpleasant work experience.

Pros

Good salary for young professionals.

Cons

Projects are driven by procedure manuals.

Salary,benefits and hours are very well above the average for the location. The working environment needs improvement

Work is oriented around projects. With many levels of management that focuse on the paperwork end of projects, more than focusing on the implementation of the actual project work. Many people find this frustrating as they would like to have more time to be in the field. The governing body, the PMO has implemented many changes in the policies, procedures and software for project controls without testing that they work or without providing the proper training. Many times a change is sent out to projects without checking how it impacts their other procedures or if the software works. There is also testing that project control coordinators are required to take by the PMO that is very generic and not streamlined to CNL expectations, policies or procedures. The tight reporting deadlines, strict PMO guidelines, the unclear expectations and constant change generates a very toxic environment. This toxic environment creates a high turn over in the project management staff . Full time workers are also held to higher expectations than staff that are contract workers. The plus side area is great if you would like to live in a rural area, or you have the option to work remotely. The people are great resulting in many great freindships outside of work. If you want to work in projects consider a contract position that would allow high pay and lower work expectations. The key is to make sure you get clear expectations of what you are responsible for and what your co workers are responsible. The PMO recently have been conducting meetings asking for input, but -

Pros

Beautiful area, Co-workers who live in the area want to see CNL as a long-term employer, Great benefits, If you like change the constant change in staff and procedures will keep you happy.

Cons

Constant change, many ayers of management, Uncertainty in expectations, Many contract workers focus on short term goals.

Very low morale

Do not work here, toxic culture, low morale. Trades group at the bottom of priority list. Very hard to work there because everyone has been mistreated on several occasions throughout their career there and now most employees are disgruntled .

My experience at CNL was positive and great team environment.

Really enjoyed working at CNL. I would highly recommend to anyone looking for engineering opportunity and great experience.Great training program and professional development opportunities.

Nice but inefficient

I liked my work and wasn't stressed. The range of work is great and managers are understanding but the beaurocracy slows work so much that it really hamstrings research.

Pros

Good wage, low stress

Cons

Inefficient

Respected and treated like a valuable member of the team.

I love this place. Love it.Perhaps it is because I am a 31 year veteran AND worked for 5 years for a company providing training for the military that I just amazed that supervisors/managers can be respectful and not abusive. The respect I receive is off the charts and the benefits are equally amazing. I simply love love my job of courseware development.

Pros

Creative freedom.

Cons

The odd dinosaur who should retire.

Non productive

Working in the trades on site is very limited as most of the large jobs are contracted out so trades only get the small tasks to do.A lot of sitting around and waiting for work to start.Micro managed and poor supervision.They are big on safety on site

Pros

Good benefit package

Contract software developer

I really enjoyed working with CNL. I was well qualified for the work so had little trouble delivering. One really should know what they’re doing to succeed here. It’s not for remedial learning. What made it stand out was the lack of office politics. Egos were in check and respect was mutual all the way around.

Pros

Interesting work, excellent pay, good people

Cons

IT infrastructure was a bit weak in places but this challenge was fun.

Great company to work for.

Worked for great people and was provided with an abundance of training in various programs. Hours were flexible and pay was generous. Employees were kept up to date with the various projects going on.

Professional workplace with friendly co-workers

Good company to work for to meet new people in the area. Lots of different branches with in the company to venture into to best benefit yourself and the company.

World Class facility

CNL is a great place to work. A lot of teamwork and a great research laboratory. There are a variety of avenues that can be explored at Canadian Nuclear Laboratory.

Stay away

Stressful, toxic culture. Leadership is clueless, have no accountability, with rampant nepotism. Project is perpetually late and missing deadlines with new leaders, project will likely be taken away from CNL in near future, leaving many out of work.

Great working environment

Flexible working environment and cooperative employees. The company provides a lot of learning opportunities to enhance your interpersonal, technical skills.

Learning experience

Spent over seven years with this organization. The last three years, several organizational/management/staffing changes. I have simply decided to step away from the nuclear industry.

Great Place to work and people to work with

People are great and Work atmosphere is superb. Top dollars paid. Quiet town and good Nature around. Work @ cottage kind of setting.

Not happy with how I was wrongfully dismissed and not offered another position.

It was very clicky up there and I felt very in the way and dumb. Was to be a one year term and I was let go at 6 months as the person off came back early.

Great Place to work

Good experience for other jobs easy work and lots of available overtime Friendly enviroment + Flexible + Good bosses Great pay , respectful environment

Pros

Great People

Cons

Very Political

A lot to learn from

Being a first year student, I didn't have a lot of prior work experience. The engineers there were very lenient and put me up to speed and gave me a lot of tasks to learn with.

There is a deteriorating culture and lack of trust at CNL

The company is seriously mismanaged and experiencing financial struggles that are affecting productivity, the culture and job security. Management is very secretive about true long term goals and the true plan is not disclosed to current employees. The company is working very hard to downsize employees. There has been recent large scale layoffs with rumblings of more to come in the very near future. I do NOT recommend with the current state of affairs with CNL.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Nuclear Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement