Canadian North

Canadian North Employee Reviews

Canada29 reviews
great place
great place to work, decent benefits, pay was a little cheap, but cargo and flight discounts were nice to have, but always had a staffing issue for day to day work to be done.
Positive friendly co-workers ,organized schedule, opportunity to grow within the company
I worked with Canadian North before the merger when it was called First Air, I loved working with this company. There is high dedication to customer relations and service. I had a good working relationship with my supervisor who I held in high regard for her scheduling skills and open communication with her subordinates. I liked the diversity in my day to day work life as we where up and moving constantly. Great benefits, and I loved the team I worked with.
Pros
advanced scheduling, vacation and health benefits for part-timers, travel discounts
Greatest team to work with
Was able to meet the best team. Very friendly environment, multi cultural staffs, diversity and openness. The bosses are always ready to help you and assist you in building your career.
Great Place to work
If you like to travel and want to fly to Canadas Arctic then this is the company to be with.
Based in Edmonton or Calgary. All training is provided. Good pay and good schedule for seniority based Flight attendants
Poor management, underappreciated
Company has been bought by First Air, and has gone straight downhill. Management only wants to keep their jobs, and the corporate culture is now terrible.
Great Team
Amazing workplace with amazing people. Everyday was a different day, if you love the travel industry this is definitely the career you want. Took my family all over Canada
You will learn a lot
It's a unique culture, very clicky within the inflight department and can be tough to get into the cliques. As long as you are happy to learn, you will do well.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Gossip
Assisting all customers needs
This job is based solely on customer service and making sure all appropriate documents are in place that are required.
Making sure everything is done in a timely matter as well.
Pros
meeting people
Cons
N/a
Overall operation makes me laugh
I see other reviews from various departments, now here is one from the maintenance department. It is a very laughable maintenance operation with mostly pilots running the maintenance department behind the scenes. The pitiful premium they pay ACA signing authority just doesn't make it worth it to HAVE signing authority. Speaking of signing authority, if you were to end up into working Heavy maintenance you would be expected to sign for the work of 5 or 6 apprentices which usually results in a Q&A nightmare. Seems like there's more managers than actual maintenance personnel. Line maintenance will get you nothing but straight night shifts. No night shift premium, unlike places like Air Canada, and other "industry peers" which is a term to company loves to throw around a lot. All in all, very doubtful someone would enjoy working at a place like that. I would discourage anyone from doing aircraft maintenance to begin with, but if you still feel compelled, I HIGHLY discourage anyone from doing it at Canadian North
Pros
Better than unemployment
Cons
Too many
Typical day was definately interesting
I thoroughly enjoyed working at Canadian North. It was a great team environment, and I enjoyed management. Working here was a very good experience in airline. Working with clients helped to improve skills in the service industry. For the most part it was a very good job, the long hours were sometimes hard as well as the shift work, but always got thru it.
Benefits
Great place to work.
Excellent supervision and a very good work atmosphere.They are setting up a heavy maintenance line and I think they will continue to improve in the future.
Wait and see
The company at it's core is a great company and frankly it is the front line employees that make the magic happen. The office environment is all about who is dating who and climbing that ladder.
Pros
History, proud to support the North
Cons
Very insestious
Canadian North - Just like Family
Typical day at work is 12 hour shifts, that are never the same. I have learned to be a leader who listens, and an employee that can manage challenging day to day operations with professionalism and positive outcomes.
Management within the company listens to their employees, however could excel more from their employees multiple years of experience which not only validates the employee, it also allows for opportunity for growth and understanding.

The culture within Canadian North is a strong family bond however I believe that there is a division within some of the departments which is primarily portrayed as lack of accountability.

The hardest part of the job is seeing some personnel take advantage of their positions, with no recourse. Many employees are not required to put forth the same hours, effort or professionalism that others are required to uphold.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the knowledge that you gain, the people that you meet (who become your second family) and being able to separate what you are responsible for and what others are responsible for. I have learned to listen closely.
Pros
Benefits, job security
Cons
Lack of internal advancement for those who deserve it, accountability
Canadian North Inc.
Multiple softwares and platforms to learn, provides interesting opportunities. Not much room for growth. Employee advancement and education available. Very business oriented, a good place to learn private corporate structure. Co workers are incredible and kind people. Management is supportive and intelligent but can only provide opportunities within their means as this corporation is run by a larger parent company.
Na
The people are great there but there is a culture of nepotism which can lead to uncomfortable work environment and people being promoted that don't necessary deserve to be.
A day and a life at Canadian North
Its a great job, just not a very good company. Wish there was more of a challenge to this job. Flight benefits are awesome and they pay is decent. Time for a change!
Pros
Flight benefits
Cons
Terrible company
Great place to work!
One of the best companies in Northern Canada.
Very good benefits and interesting job.

Currently working with Canadian North as full-time Customer Service Agent. Working with Canadian North you never get bored and never get tired, because every day is different and special. This is a perfect job for those who love communicating with passengers and who like helping people.
Pros
Flight and Cargo Benefits.
Cons
Low salary
work with wonderful people
the atmosphere was great. Looked forward to going to work everyday. The benefits were excellent and the flight benefits were nice to have and offer to family and friends.
Very good trainging and salary
Good development job once graduated from college. Further time to develop through correspondence course to further knowledge in hi-tech circuit development.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Isolation
fun workplace
Great people to work with, usually happy and positive. Always something different going on.

Cons - Dealing with grumpy passengers when not getting their way.
Cons
Bad Pay
Enjoy my job and the people I work with
I get to meet different and interesting people in my job. My co-workers are a great bunch of people to work with. I have also gotten to fly to places that other people pay lots of money to go see.