Canadian North
Happiness score is 65 out of 100

Canadian North Employee Reviews

Canada79 reviews

Growing company, still stuck in the 80s.

Don’t get me wrong, no company is perfect. For someone who has never worked in aviation this company is for you. For many who have been in the industry, beware, as this company is very behind and not up to industry standards. It will make your mouth drop how behind they are. This company is stuck in their old ways and is not open to change, even though they want it. Management is uneducated in their positions, and you will feel micromanaged and not praised, or recognized for your experience. Potential to grow with this company as they have just merged, but you’ll still be frustrated in your position.

Pros

Decent Pay

Cons

Micro Management

Good before the merger, now TERRIBLE

Used to be a company with pride before Bradley Air Services took over, now an inefficient, sad joke of an airline. Poor management from top down, understaffed due to everyone quitting, stressful, toxic culture, just a mess. Every day in the stores department was different and challenging, and often fun before the merger. The inefficiency and stress have killed all the enjoyment of working there. Most of the good employees have gone and nearly everyone left is looking for somewhere else to go unless they are very close to retirement age. The pay and benefits were decent, however the benefits keep getting cut back every year. The flight benefits were nice to have but not worth staying there for.

Insights into Canadian North

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Supportive environment
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Energizing work tasks
  • General feeling of work happiness

Working for Canadian North was a soul destroying experience.

Why would a highly trained professional ever want to work for incompetent amateurs?During my time at Canadian North I did not meet anyone in management who seemed to be the least bit interested in, or capable of, supporting front-line employees. Communication, planning and adoption of appropriate industry standards are entirely foreign concepts to this company.

Enjoyable place to work

Enjoy my time at Canadian North, every day is different and challenging. Workplace culture has improved since the merger. Pros - Good salary and benefits, management care about you.Cons - COVID has caused some long hours on ocassion.

They hire everybody. You do not need to be smart or have much school.

Nobody else wants to work nights in the arctic. Anyone who applies can easily get a job here. You do not need much school or know about aircrafts. Easy place to work as the manager is gone fishing.

Pros

It is easy to get hired, nobody wants to work nights in the arctic, I could not get an interview will any airline, I was hired because not many people stay too long, School or aircrafts experience is not needed, Often there is no work to do and we go buy groceries, . Some of the boss have to take medicine and see doctor so they stop yelling at me so much.

Cons

The old guys do not like young kids, I would not want to be a girl here, old guys say girls should not be working on aircrafts, There is not much good planning, and often no stuff what to do, I never know why I am yelled at, The old guys are often mad or hung over, and do not want to work for the company, We have many mistakes and accidents, everybody disagrees all the time.

Slow to no growth and no opportunities for advancement unless you know someone higher up if you know what I mean

Almost 8 years and applied for several management or trainer positions and they regularly turned me down and highered from outside the organization. Lots of favoritism throughout the organization.

Pros

the only pro is cheap travel benefits but they aren't that much cheaper than full fare now.

Cons

low pay for the industry standards.

Toxic

Management is disconnected from reality and are clueless of what is going on.Very toxic work environment.Nobody cares. You're left on your own to figure things out.

Pros

salary

Beware of this job

Everything is what you make it. But be sure with this job you will be in a toxic environment. Unlike major airlines where you have specific departments, here you will be required to do it all. Low pay, odd hours and shifts and called in on your day off. No lunch breaks.

Pros

Flight benefits

Cons

Low pay

Aweful

Worse place to ever work. Toxic.. no support from management. Nasty Co workers...Not a good place to work. Don't expect to have a job long if you are a fighter.

Cons

Depending on your job you could get to travel to some remote northern locations.

depending on the department you could occasionally pull long hours, especially if there was a weather delay. Overall decent people to work with. Potential to travel to some pretty cool far northern locations.

Pros

My manager was great, worked hard and was severly under paid.

Cons

Depending on department you may be expected to work some ridiculous hours.

One person could have destroyed the CompanyThe whole company

The whole company was a 10 out of 10 to work for but one person who was in authority could have destroyed the Company with his actions. There’s a lot of people's live’s he destroyed and to prevent the Company from losing good engineers the company should have a Review of the Management.

Pros

Good team work, learnt a lot.

Cons

Bad Management at the top

great place

great place to work, decent benefits, pay was a little cheap, but cargo and flight discounts were nice to have, but always had a staffing issue for day to day work to be done.

Great place

It is great place to work, you can build your career. The place need people want to work not standing for and chatting, if you work, you will get peppermint position then you on title of all benefits which is great.

Positive friendly co-workers ,organized schedule, opportunity to grow within the company

I worked with Canadian North before the merger when it was called First Air, I loved working with this company. There is high dedication to customer relations and service. I had a good working relationship with my supervisor who I held in high regard for her scheduling skills and open communication with her subordinates. I liked the diversity in my day to day work life as we where up and moving constantly. Great benefits, and I loved the team I worked with.

Pros

advanced scheduling, vacation and health benefits for part-timers, travel discounts

Greatest team to work with

Was able to meet the best team. Very friendly environment, multi cultural staffs, diversity and openness. The bosses are always ready to help you and assist you in building your career.

Excellent place to work

Lots of experience on 737 and ATR’s. Definitely need some of the older employees to retire though, they have stayed too long in my opinion and need to give younger employees an opportunity to advance in the company since they could for retired about 10 years ago and are no longer able to preform a lot of their duties. That being said I really enjoyed working at First Air, would definitely work there again.

Great Place to work

If you like to travel and want to fly to Canadas Arctic then this is the company to be with. Based in Edmonton or Calgary. All training is provided. Good pay and good schedule for seniority based Flight attendants

Poor management, underappreciated

Company has been bought by First Air, and has gone straight downhill. Management only wants to keep their jobs, and the corporate culture is now terrible.

Great Team

Amazing workplace with amazing people. Everyday was a different day, if you love the travel industry this is definitely the career you want. Took my family all over Canada

You will learn a lot

It's a unique culture, very clicky within the inflight department and can be tough to get into the cliques. As long as you are happy to learn, you will do well.

Pros

Hours

Cons

Gossip

Assisting all customers needs

This job is based solely on customer service and making sure all appropriate documents are in place that are required. Making sure everything is done in a timely matter as well.

Pros

meeting people

Cons

N/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian North. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement