Canadian Natural

Canadian Natural Employee Reviews in Calgary, AB

Calgary, AB99 reviews
Good work/life balance depending on the team you work for.
Most departments work well together to get their job done.

CNRL is focused on their employees learning and developing their careers. They support movement within the company.
Working at CNQ is fast paced and although the company is well managed from senior management, certain divisions with female management is NOT performance based, but based on their personal feelings.
Management will do its best to force you to quit.
Pros
Being employeed
Cons
Pay, bullying, work life balance, covering cost of employment during the pandemic
Good conservative company that thrives in good and bad market conditions.

Work, life balance. understanding management and friday holidays in summer months.

Decent Stock options
Management's objective is to look out for themselves and throw employees under the bus to protect themselves. Horrible work culture, horrible Management support. You will learn to work under extreme pressure which is a useful skill for your next job.
A good place to work. Careers advancement probably not there but your job is secured. Good compensation with shares and match-up saving plan.
A good place for fresh graduates.
Learning experience ,busy , Professional , some internal politics with management decision making but it worked out at meetings. Lots of meeting about the next meeting.
Pros
In house training
Cons
Lots of reporting on work activity, took away from getting work done
The work environment is a bit tense. There is a strict distinction between contractors and staff personnel, not only in admin and HR related items, but also in the actual work. You may not be in the loop for some of the discussions that are related to your work! Of course this was my experience and it may not be true for all groups.
CNRL has no career development for engineers. Is mostly focus in operation and maintenance. Engineering is seeing as a second grade profession. No to good for senors engineers.
very practical approach while operating the plant, dealing with employee and decision making. Specs and standards of the organization still under development state that sometime create complexity for resolution.
Very progressive and aggressive style for speedy ROI.
Great experience.
High responsibility and expectations.

Long hours at times.

As Exploit, you have big fields (or areas) of responsibility. Which can be demanding and stressful to keep on top of.
Be prepared for a fast paced aggressive work place. Don’t look for positive feedback it simply doesn’t exist here. I found it to be cold and impersonal. Salary, savings, benefits and stock plans are equivalent to industry standards
I was hired when CNRL had about 250 staff and left over sixteen years later to retire when my Husband retired. I loved working for this company and felt that my contributions meant something to the corporate goal. I felt that I could approach any one of the executive team and they would make time for me. Payables meant that you connect with a broad group of upper management when payments are being processed. When I left I believe there were around 4000 staff. This growth meant that things were evolving consistently and I grew and learned at the same time by getting involved in many of the new processes and system upgrades. I truly enjoyed going to work at CNRL and felt challenged on a regular basis.
Pros
Very supportive management team.
Cons
Rather than lay people off, CNRL was never known for over staffing.
This company cares and listens to their teams and is an excellent place to work. Management team are open to new ideas and change. Great summer hour program.
Nice company to work with. Good location. Good management and colleagues. Good pay and environment. Mosgt enjoyable is the job advancement and training.
they hire their own kids and relatives so I got surrounded and harassed by spoiled brats, most working adults don't enjoy nasty high school behaviour but management plays favourites and are too lazy to supervise, quit after a year of bullying and anti social co-workers
Pros
steady work
Cons
no support from bosses
Been very good to me as a loyal employee. Ensure I get my work done and then some, and they are flexible and understanding with interpersonal relations.
As a contractor, there are too much uncertainty. However the environment is really great and salary is agree with job performed. Overall an excellent company
Great company to work for. I started and finished in the mail room. There is opportunity for advancement in the company if that interests you. A great experience working there and meeting a variety of people from around the world of oil/gas producing regions.
Pros
Many pros
Cons
Like any job there will be malcontents be it co workers or supervisors
CNRL has always been the forefront of innovative technology. A sound management group has seen it survive and thrive through this recent and long lasting recession.
I did my internship at CNRL and I absolutely loved it. The culture is awesome, very relaxed atmosphere, amazing teamwork dynamic, and everyone is always willing to teach you if you just ask.

This was the experience of a lifetime.

The only downside is the pay, CNRL is known for being the lowest $ per hour company in the industry but this is also a reason why they don't have huge downsizing so it's a give and take.
Pros
Good team, good management, good W/L balance
Cons
Pay- lowest in industry
Great place to work if you enjoy challenges; direction and control of your projects with little interference. I learned a lot there. However, you are a number to them. There was no advancement in pay, regardless of performance or cost savings; they will work you into the ground if you let them.
Pros
Good Benefits Program
Cons
Cheap; Sweatshop; Very Poor Management
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Natural. Our community is ready to answer.