Canadian Natural Employee Reviews

fun place to work
Field Operator (Former Employee) –  Elk Point, AB7 May 2018
not much job security. excellent place to work. enjoyed the people and management. gained lots of knowledge. how ever too many lay offs and no room for transfers.
Very good company
MAIL CLERK (Former Employee) –  Alberta4 May 2018
Very good company to work for. I would have loved to stay there for eve and build my career there. I shall be back! Great employees and work hours. Thank you
Very poor culture
Operator 2 (Current Employee) –  Alberta Avenue, AB30 April 2018
Employees are treated as cannon fodder. Years of experience and knowledge count for nothing. Field level employees have little hope for advancement unless they are good friends with someone above them on the totem pole. Upper management treats employee wages as a cash pool to be lowered in order to raise money to purchase competitors.
Pros
Company Vehicle
Cons
Long hours, poor life-work balance, no input into anything from field level. Safety and Policy are driven top down.
Nothing more than drudgery
Welder (Current Employee) –  AB14 April 2018
Management has no respect for people getting the work done.You have an employee number and that’s exactly what you’re treated like. A number, nothing more.

No home life/work balance. You’re expected to hide in a bubble on days off so you’re ready to give them a full 110 percent the next week.

Poorly organized. Management is quick to enforce rules they seemingly make up on the fly.

Only thing I’ve seen this company care about is how many barrels of oil they can produce in a day. Zero concern for assets or employees. Run it all into the round at all costs.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Disgusting managerial style, no pension to speak of, poor benefits.
Average work place
Welder and Fabricator (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB8 April 2018
Overall it's a good place to work. CNRL is more business driven and it shows in how they manage their people.. They are not afraid to make cuts.

The major downside to this company is there is no company pension. You are invested entirely into their stocks for retirement... Stocks of an oil and gas company in a world that is advancing towards greener technology every year.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
No company pension
great place to work
Journeyman Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB2 April 2018
two week shifts
11-12 hour days
pipefitter apprenticeship on the tools learning and working
safety first
early morning starts
the friends you make at work
Pros
great work place
Cons
working away from home
Good work/life balance with 7 on 7 off shift
Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB1 April 2018
Good work/life balance with 7 on 7 off shift, work is good, management could use an overhaul. co workers are good, its all who you know and who you're buddies with though.
Pros
7 on 7 off
Cons
management
Potentially begin a good company to work for.
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 February 2018
I was contracted out to CNRL for 1 year, which they cancelled after 9 months, due to the manager not being able to pull the group together, and run a department.
Pros
Staff Friendly, Free refreshments
Cons
Not having the right people in the right positions
Good training but management was tough
Shift Engineer /Control Room Operator (Former Employee) –  British Columbia13 February 2018
Good personal growth but the retirement plan was not good. Stock options would have been okay if the was a value growth, but up and down didn't generate any real value for employees unless they could afford to purchase them. even then there wasn't much change in value.
Pros
good shift
Cons
No pension
Excellent Company
Facilities Development Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 February 2018
CNRL is a great company. Management is excellent not many layer s & work environment is very productive . Cost is the main focus.Work life balance can be seen in professional work life
Great place to Learn new skills
Production Field Lead Battery Operator (Current Employee) –  Wabasca, AB31 January 2018
Taught me all the skills needed to survive in the oil industry. Kept their promise about no layoffs during the recent down turn. Some areas of the company are better than others.
n/a
Supply Management Support Services Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 January 2018
n/a

Company culture was great. Very flat organization distribution. Team was easy to get along with, communication was great. Very mentor-like organization
Professional and fun
Document Control (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 January 2018
Management will work and help out to get things done. There is both team work and individual efforts that help make an enjoyable and productive environment.
Pros
Team luncheons
Cons
Tight deadlines
A decent place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB22 January 2018
As an administrative assistant, I worked a 4 on 3 off rotation. Camp & flights are included to Edmonton or Calgary. Excellent renumeration and compensation package.

Peers and coworkers were awesome people to work with.

When the economy downturn finallly reached Fort McMurray, alot of changes transpired in a short amount of time. I suppose that was the biggest challenge of the day.

In retrospect, I wish I hadn't resigned. It's a decent place to work.
Pros
Free food, flights and lodging, great compensation/renumeration, fantastic vacation entitlement
Cons
Admin Assistants weren't able to hold 7x7 rotations, do overtime or work mutuals.
Overall company is great, Management is immature
Cost Perfomance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 January 2018
Overall the company is great, salary, benefits, stock plan - However some sections of certain departments need to be completely overhauled, management skill set is lacking and immature, overall bureaucracy is exhausting and there is far too much red tape. praise is given to those who possess no skills and have the gift of the gab, talking with no action has more value than tangible skills and results.
if you can tolerate being a mindless drone, cubicle dweller and can talk a huge political fancy game, you will fit right in. if you have skills and can give results that benefit the over balance sheet, you will sink.
good company with considerate people
E&I Construction Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB15 December 2017
Fun to work with a multi-cultural group, learning new ideas, good guidance from management, excellent pay, great amenities, room to grow personally. Enjoyed my time there very much.
Pros
good pay
Cons
hard to eat healthy with all the delicious food available
A good learning ground with lots of lessens and challenges to learn from
Project QA Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB14 December 2017
My experience in CNRL has been very fruitful to my portfolio, as it has increased my understanding of working in Chemical Refinery as a Construction QA Specialist and dealing with all kinds of people from different background and culture to get the job done.

The most enjoyable part is the fly day where I get to return back home to my family. I was stationed at Fort McKay - 8 days on and 6 off; Tuesday to Tuesday.
Pros
The money and experience
Cons
Away from Home
Well stablish and process diven
Venture Team Piping and Mechanical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McKay, AB10 December 2017
The atmsphere do at times seems tense because of the dead lines,
it's never too radical as to not to do things right following standards and procedures,focusing on safety and eficiency .
Pros
process driven
Cons
short duration of the job
Productive, professional, cooperative environment
Document Controller, Major Projects (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB6 December 2017
Productive, professional, cooperative environment. very nice and helping management and training system.Enjoyed working with CNRL Hydrogen Project team.
Too early to tell...
Campus Advisor (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB4 December 2017
Being a Shell employee that was transitioned to CNRL from the Albian acquisition has had a few challenges. From my perspective, I've had no issues since the acquisition and have been warmly welcomed by the team I've been placed with. The future is still a little uncertain with a lot of us X-Shell employee's, but time will tell. All I can say is that CNRL is proudly a Canadian company and they know how to save money which makes them very profitable.
Pros
Canadian owned, Opportunities to grow.
Cons
Heavily supports Fly In/Fly Out. Wages are lower than the rest of industry

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Natural. Our community is ready to answer.