Canadian Natural

Working at Canadian Natural: Employee Reviews

Canada413 reviews

canadiancampoilnaturalsafetycontractorsandoperation

Average pay and overworked

very old management styles, expecting 10-11 hour days at average pay. Some seem to enjoy it but others quit for more money/opportunity. They seem to have predetermined favorites that they will promote and the rest are just cogs in the wheel.

If you like pay cuts this is the place for you

Implemented a pay cut to contractors due to the pandemic, then never returned it. Continued to say that a return was in the works, but just strung people along.

Insights into Canadian Natural

• Sense of belonging
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues

Worst place ever

Toxic environmental, poor management, lack of knowledge, HR skills, eager for authority. Pros, free coffee and space office. Cons, everything. Only big company name.

Direct management are good people

CNRL Jackfish, has been a very good experience as a contract operator. Crews basically are an extended family, as are in many other company camps.CNRL, so far for me, has been the lowest paying company, appearing cheap to the ground floor employees, while the Calgary high rollers getting the big rewards, and they don't offer any apologies for running business like that. It is what it is.Being a very large company, gives the ability to move around quite a bit from within, which is very nice to not be pigeon holed into one roll, where you may excell in a different roll with the end goal the same...make money for the company. My only complaints are the pay, no travel premium(time is money right...except when they have to pay for it) and too much emphasis on education vs experience...green people with a few years of school will usually make more per hr than a person who brings a wealth of experience and expect the experienced to train the green to help them go further.

Stable

Although the company does not pay as well as others in the industry, it is relatively stable. Depending on the department you are in, you could be either busy or relaxed.

Pros

Snacks, drinks, office supplies

Cons

Low pay

You don’t want to be there unless for money

When they loose money. They loose everything. No morality. You are good fir them till you make them money Unless your manager is good with you make money and progress

Not a very good place to work

Over worked and under appreciated, your just a number, no family morality, all about the production, over all not a good company to work for. Would not recommend anyone working for this company.

Pros

Cons

Lots

Very good place to work (albian) - had great guidance and was always busy. Not much room for advancement unless superiors were retiring. Early wake up but days go fast.

CNRL is a very good company to work for, the 25 years I spent with them was wonderful. I made many lifelong friends and learned a lot. i started as an operator moving up into a supervisory role moving into safety and compliance ending up my carrer. I have nothing but gratitude for CNRL. If you are fortunate enough be hired advancement is a definite opportunity for the right person.

Pros

Excellent saving plan, vacation time and benefits.

Cons

Na

Great coworkers, a good place to keep busy

I enjoyed my time with CNRL for the most part. The pay could be a little better but the double time made up for that once they hired you on (there was lots of overtime) I had great coworkers and there was enough support there if you needed it. It’s unfortunate they got too wrapped up in the covid mandates and lost lots of good people that will probably never return, which ultimately leaves a lot of doors open for people wanting to get their foot in the door when it comes to operating, etc…

Pros

Great place to begin operating career

Cons

Covid mandates

Collaborate work environment but pay was lower than industry average

Great place for internship, learned a lot from my team. Lower end of pay scale. Very collaborative team environment and interns were responsible for a lot which made us more accountable and dedicated to our work.

Very cutthroat but in a good way

you definitely have to be a certain type of person to like working here. You cant take things personal and you have to be working hard to be the best.

Pros

credit is recognized

Cons

competitive

Started out good, quickly had perks removed. Work load expanded without more pay.

Rather work for Cenovus. Everyone took a pay cut that never came back. Increased duties, but not pay. Roads in the Wabasca area were horrible. Easily destroy a vehicle in a year just to get to work.

Pros

Camp was fine

Cons

Added responsibilities, pay stayed the same or went down

Terrible leadership

Wouldn’t recommend this company to anyone. They push hard for production, they ignore obvious Saftey issues. Push operators to do things that aren’t necessarily safe to do. They talk the talk but at the end of the day they want production and nothing else.

Pros

Not many

Cons

Half assed Saftey

Good place to work at.

I would recommend working here. The expectations are fair and I found my time there to be beneficial and I did learn a lot. The location is also excellent.

A lot of other companies in the industry to work for...please avoid this one if you respect your abilities and time

They have a reputation as a sweat shop and have zero respect for their employees. This is a trickle down from upper management. You aren't a person, you're a working tool for them. They also have some of the cheapest compensation in the industry. Their exit packages are literally half what other companies in the industry provides.

Pros

Cons

Multiple

Good co-workers with good payhorrible place to work

Treated poorly was told vaccines were not going to be enforced then 4 months later no jab no job. Place has very low morale no rewards for hard work.

Easy job as they don’t hire the best people in the industry since they don’t pay the best.

Horrible company to work for. Management does not care about the employees and will do anything to save a penny. Implementing a mandatory vaccine policy after telling employees they wouldn’t 4 months earlier. Then firing these people right before Christmas. Now the vaxed are making up outbreaks on site but it’s ok because they are double jabbed right?

Pros

Cons

Will try and own your body.

Production focused. Good place to get experience

One of the best companies to work for if you are planning to go to Northern Alberta for work. The schedule for hourly employees are 7 on 7 off, and salary based employees are 4 days 10 hours.

Pros

Great if you are staying at camp.

Cons

12 hours shift

Cuture

At Canadian Natuaral , they take safety really serious . I was opportuend to work in both Kirby South and Jackfish SAGD. Great place to work with very experienced staff and fun working environment . I will strongly recommend Canadian Natural to career growth

Pros

Competitive salary

Sweat shop

When I took the job at CNR a friend of mine commentted "off to work in the sweat shop eh" these words couldn't have been more true. The only thing that matters at CNR is $$$

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Natural. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement