Canadian National Railway

Canadian National Railway Employee Reviews

Featured review
Canadian National Railway selected this as a representative review
Overall excellent
Since I was hired on and sent to CN campus you could tell they are invested in you succeeding in the career path you have chosen. They put a lot of time and resources into you. Overall it’s been a great experience and will continue to be.
Environnement de travail dynamique
Une très bonne compagnie à joindre, très professionnel et bien encadré pour un apprentissage optimal
27 March 2020
Merci d'avoir pris le temps de partager votre avis et nous vous remercions pour votre travail acharné. Nous sommes fiers d'offrir aux membres de notre équipe l'opportunité de faire progresser leurs carrières et contribuer à leurs épanouissements.
n/a
I do not wish to discuss nor comment on my current job. Making this a mandatory, 150 character field is pointless. You should have a way to opt-out of this question.
productive
very good environment. team mates are very cooperative and helping, Great learning with different tools and training is very much effective. good leadership team.
25 March 2020
Thank you for sharing your positive feedback! We pride ourselves on providing our team with the ability to learn, develop themselves and grow their careers.
Not good
Place is enables uselessness. Supervisors could all use a smack. Poor attitude from supervisor to workers. Supervisors require more training/experience
25 March 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are sorry to hear that your experience at CN was not positive and hope you shared your thoughts with our colleague during your exit interview.
Interesting work at cnr
Sometimes shift work on job learning various jobs management fine..interesting culture learning bout shipping goods around the country...hardest part solving complex problems.....enjoyable part of job...getting things done on time
Pros
I liked the railway so much I stayed 30 years
Cons
Some workers didn't try hard enough
20 March 2020
Thank you for sharing your positive feedback and your hard work! We pride ourselves on providing our team with the ability to learn, develop themselves and grow their careers.
The kind of employment that you can run a household on
Equipment was top notch
All the tools to do the job. Foremen were selected not because they were knowledgeable, but because they

nominated themselves to be foremen, eg. They put in to be a white hat. Then the company made it so... Then they became

exemptulary employees.....Hard to respect that.
19 March 2020
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We thank you for your hard work and helping move our business and the economy forward. We hope you shared your thoughts with our colleague during your exit interview.
Negative Work Environment
Good pay that is about it. Competitive work environment and looking over shoulder constantly. Protect yourself and record your daily work and interactions just in case. You have to live and breath for the company or leave.
18 March 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback and for your hard work. With a 24/7/365 operation, CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We are sorry to hear about your experience with us and hope you shared your thoughts with our colleague during your exit interview.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Canadian National Railway?
Cn
Overall good company..good working conditions and easy access to work..Access via train or metro...management is good...but too many processes that makes the work longer.
17 March 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with us. We pride ourselves on providing our team with great working conditions including the ability to develop themselves and grow their careers.
Transportation companies are very interesting and innovative.
I love this place! We work very hard and there is a lot to learn about how CN moves products from Pacific to Atlantic to Gulf of Mexico. We have train yards, ship yards and trucking companies, to add to our complex work environment.
16 March 2020
good people to work with company is horrible
the employees of cn are hard working and love what they do. The management are horrible and never take responsibility for what happens and blames it on lower level employees. they don't put money into the track. hense all the derailments and if you have a voice they will not listen and you get fired'
Pros
work unionized
Cons
managment sucks pay wise hour wise
16 March 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback and for your hard work. We are sorry to hear about your experience with us and hope you shared your thoughts with our colleague during your exit interview.
The management is clueless
It used to be the ideal place to work at but the management has rolled over and the new Management is arrogant and incompetents in the IT department, they are clueless. The are more concern on the appearance instead of delivering good and stable environments.

No structure, consultants install with no guidelines, no conformity between environments and woman are paid less then their male co-workers for the same workload and competences.
Pros
Gym on site and easy commute
Cons
Bad management, bad installations processes, reviews
16 March 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We are concerned to hear about your current experience and strongly encourage you to reach out to your manager or Human Resources Business Partner to share your thoughts.
Lots of ups and downs .. solely depends on your supervisor and the person your stuck working with
Same as above .. but your start out on the gangs and on the road no where near where u live .. the treated like a wild animal up in northern Ontario or off territory (another province) where u may or may not have cel signal or food or a toilet or shower that may or may not work .. work 14 hours then do it again for another 8 days and travel on your Time off which could be 12 /14 hours .. wouldn’t do this job again starting new
16 March 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback. With a 24/7/365 operation, CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We know your role is extremely important in ensuring customer satisfaction. Thank you for helping move our business and the economy forward. Please reach out to your Human Resources Business Partner to share your thoughts.
Na
I would not recommend this job for anyone with a family because you never know when your going to work so therefore you can’t plan any thing with your family. Expect to miss out on a lot of birthdays, your kids sports, any type of special events
16 March 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback and for your hard work while at CN. With a 24/7/365 operation CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We hope that you shared this with our colleague during your exit interview and that you have found a position that is more in line with your career expectations.
Place sucks used to be a good place to work
Management is terrible they could not switch the toilet paper rolls
Too many Americans trying to run the company

They do not know about switching box cars
16 March 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback and for your hard work while at CN. We are disappointed to hear of your experience and hope you shared your thoughts with our colleague during your exit interview.
Productive Working Environment
I truly enjoy my job and am happy to get up every day to go to work. Working for this company has been a great experience. The flexibility to work from home or in the office is great for when emergencies pop up in the day to day life. At work, i feel appreciated and that the work im doing has an impact in the company.
10 March 2020
Thank you for sharing your positive experience with us. We thank you for your hard work and helping move our business and the economy forward.
Rated #1 Company to avoid by there employees
Are you a sociopath, have no moral qualities to your personality then CN has a management position for you, they are always looking for the next depraved sociopaths to fit in to their management regime. As an employee you will be expect to work 12 hour days 365 days a year never having more than 48 hours off in a row, your average work week 65 to 72 hours, you are just a number, a body just to move rail cars. Management doesn't care about you they only care about moving rail car to get their bonuses. Are you married do you have kids well expect to get divorced and for your children will learn to hate you because you will never be there for them or anyone, do you have friends well not anymore. Think very hard before you decide working for CN is the place for you.
10 March 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback and for your hard work while at CN. With a 24/7/365 operation CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We hope that you shared this with our colleague during your exit interview so we can develop strategies to do better in the future and that you have found a position that is more in line with your career expectations.
good group of people
flex work hours. High demand job very fast paced. Good pay and benefits. Not a routine job as all, although you have a set job being on the railway this change daily.
Pros
work from home
5 March 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, we are happy to hear you had positive experience while at CN. We pride ourselves on providing our team with great compensation and benefit. We thank you for your hard work and helping move our business and the economy forward.
Production
Fast paced environment with rewarding pay and benefits. The company mainly focuses on getting the work done rather than employee safety. Management changes almost yearly.
27 February 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We're glad you enjoyed the benefits you received while working at CN. Safety is a core value at CN and we pride ourselves on providing our team members with a safe work environment. We are disappointed to hear of your experience and hope you shared your thoughts with our colleague during your exit interview so we can develop strategies to do better in the future.
Competitive and fast paced
Challenging environment that pushes you to be better and gives many opportunities to grow and move up within this great company. Ability to receive financial assistance for education.
Pros
Benefits, Salary, Education
Cons
Hours, Stress
25 February 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback. Our goal is to empower our employees to grow within our company and we are proud to support their initiative to further their education.
Great career, bad management
Great group of coworkers, fun versatile work. Always different things to learn and do everyday. Lots of room to advance within unionized group. And great job security.
25 February 2020
Thank you for your feedback. Our goal is to empower our employees to develop themselves and grow their careers. We encourage you to speak with your Human Resources Business Partner to share any concerns.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian National Railway. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6