Canadian National Railway Employee Review

View all Canadian National Railway reviews

Great pay, good job but they own you.
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 May 2013
I worked there over one summer as a conductor trainee. From the first encounter with a trainmaster, I got the feeling I was disposable. I was fired in the fall for the actions of another employee that they mistook as me. No warning and no investigation to my alleged demeanor. My many pleas to the company and union fell on deaf ears despite irrefutable evidence. Every employee at CN can be replaced and they make you know it. Even 30+ year veterans get the boot when they don't tow the company line. Just a warning, never take them lightly, and never give them anything to burn you with. As many in the company say; they'll spend one thousands to train you and the next 30 years trying to fire you.
Pros
Great pay and benefits, good coworkers, interesting work
Cons
Immature management, no job security, highly irregular hours

Other Canadian National Railway Employee Reviews

Your whole life will become the railway
Conductor (Former Employee) –  British Columbia18 April 2018
Great company to work for as far as benefits and money goes. However you need to be aware you are signing your life away. On call makes it impossible to live any sort of life outside of work. Insane hours. constantly on the road. Constantly getting moved from city to city without a choice. There is a reason why CN has one of the highest divorce rates out of any company in North America. You are barely ever home. And when you are, you are constantly fretting about getting that call to go back. Overall would not recommend to anyone who wants to enjoy their life away from a train.
Pros
Money
Cons
Never home
Nice to work here
SAP Development Manager (Current Employee) –  MontrĂ©al, QC18 April 2018
Great company to work with.

Hardworking
custom focused

They have a great vision about the future of the company.
Working in a past paced Agile environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian National Railway. Our community is ready to answer.