Canadian National Railway

Canadian National Railway Employee Reviews

Canada530 reviews
Featured review
Canadian National Railway selected this as a representative review
Since I was hired on and sent to CN campus you could tell they are invested in you succeeding in the career path you have chosen. They put a lot of time and resources into you. Overall it’s been a great experience and will continue to be.
No work life balance & won’t give you holidays no Matter what weekend days you want off. Working New Years and Christmas and -45 they don’t care they just want their bonus
Pros
Pays good
Cons
Lay offs lots
Excellent employees to work with
The benefits are very good.

The stability is not as it used to be.

Excellent working environment

Some managers need to learn more about the business.

Very cosmopolitan. Incredibly respectful and open to different cultures and backgrounds.
Pros
Open minded and updated. Respectful of People Variety
Cons
Very huge organization with not a very centralized management
I enjoyed many of the years employed at the Railway. Seeing parts of North American while in Management, I would not otherwise have visited. Being employed there, allowed me to meet different people from different parts of the country. People I am friends with to this day. This employment allowed me the ability to afford a car, put food on the table, and keep a roof over my head.
Pros
Efforts to improve culture are ongoing
Cons
Management hours can be demanding
I spent 35 years with CN. I started in the engineering department before hiring on in the transportation department. I eventually was accepted into the Rail Traffic Control function. The company paid me while I was being trained. At the time, it was over 3 months very intensive classroom training. I dispatched trains for about 5 years before accepting a promotion into management, where I finished my career.

CN. The money was excellespent 32 years in this function.
Pros
Excellent pay and room for advancement.
Cons
High stress at times, at times due to erratic scheduled and shifts.
If you want to make good money and dont mind not having a social life then it can be a good job. It can be dangerous at times and working on call doesn't have a lot of benefits i have gone over 30 hours with out sleep and have missed many things in life, which is the main reason why im quitting and going to another carrier. Also if you are a newly hired be prepared to be laid off a lot i have been employed by cn for about 2 years and have been laid off for about a year and a half in totally
25 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We pride ourselves on providing our team with great compensation and benefits including the ability to learn and develop themselves. When we recruit talent to our operations teams, we spend a lot of time going over the working conditions and the realities associated with the railroad operating 24/7/365 days a year, including how being on call can disrupt your family life and important events. We thank you for your hard work and having helped move our business and the economy forward.
always having a manager breathing down your neck to make sure your working efficiently and if something goes wrong theyll try and blame you even when its not your fault would not recommend working here bad work atmosphere no work squedule hours can be up and down especially now because they have a surplus of ment you will litterally be hired into a lay off or to try and relocate you into the middle of nowhere
Cons
work life balance is bad
25 June 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. When we recruit talent to our operations teams, we spend a lot of time going over the working conditions and the realities associated with the railroad operating 24/7/365 days a year, including how being on call can disrupt your family life and important events. We thank you for your hard work and having helped move our business and the economy forward. We are sorry to hear about your experience with us and hope that you shared it with our colleague during your exit interview so we can develop strategies to do better in the future.
No review given. This is a mandatory field with a mandatory minimum character length. One two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve.
MY family retired there brenda donnelly ,owen Baker christ hudgins I'd love to make my mom proud getting a good job like she did she passed away I wanna make her proud.And it is a great opportunity for myself.i take care of a family I need to take care of them and I work very hard.Get along everyone.
25 June 2020
First of all, we convey our condolences and sympathy to you and your family. Thank you for sharing your feedback. With a 24/7/365 operation CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We thank you for your hard work and helping move our business and the economy forward.
Ok place to work. Little/no room for advancement outside HQ (my own personal opinion). Managers are very laid back. Work/Life balance is OK. Very traditional company.
19 June 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We strive hard to create a work environment where all employees have an opportunity to develop and grow their career. Please share your thoughts on your career advancement with your manager. They will help you develop a career plan in line with your goals. We thank you for your hard work and helping move our business and the economy forward.
The company is good to work for. Be honest, integrity and hard work should be your greatest asset. Being punctual and consistent in work ethic is also a big plus.
Working at CN takes you places you may never see. Work hard and keep your head down will open doors you may not expect.

Overall, CN is a good place to work.
18 June 2020
Thank you for sharing your positive feedback and for your hard work while at CN. With a 24/7/365 operation we could not function without our dedicated employees. We pride ourselves on providing our team with great benefits and strive hard to create a work environment where everyone feels good to work in, and where all employees have an opportunity to develop and grow their career. We thank you for your hard work and having helped move our business and the economy forward.
Not much to say, the pay is phenomenal at the cost of no home life. Dangerous job, but you truly feel part of a family on the ground.

Benefits, profit sharing
Pros
Pay, Benefits
Cons
Work/life balance, dangerous enviroment
12 June 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback. Safety is a core value at CN and we pride ourselves on providing our employees with the necessary tools and training to work safely. When we recruit talent to our operations teams, we spend a lot of time going over the working conditions and the realities associated with the railroad operating 24/7/365 days a year, including how being on call can disrupt your family life and important events. We thank you for your hard work and having helped move our business and the economy forward.
Good money however, can be challenging to find a work and personal life balance. Definitely a good company to work for and has one of the best pensions in Canada.
9 June 2020
Unfortunately, I was not able to work at CN Rail for long enough to give a thorough review however I can say that they take work very seriously, and the jobs require that dedication and focus. Safety is extremely important and imperative for many of the positions available.

The hardest part of the job for some will most definitely be the work-life balance while others will find maintaining focused and safe to be their challenge.

If you intend on working for CN Rail, please consider losing much if not all of your personal time and also consider your lifestyle as this employer will require all of you and your attention. This is not a 9-5 job and if you go into with an attitude that you are only there for the paycheque maybe you should consider another career path.
9 June 2020
Thank you for sharing your positive feedback! Safety is a core value at CN and we pride ourselves on providing our employees with the necessary tools and training to work safely. When we recruit talent to our operations teams, we spend a lot of time going over the working conditions and the realities associated with the railroad operating 24/7/365 days a year, including how being on call can disrupt your family life and important events. We thank you for your hard work and helping move our business and the economy forward.
CN has good benefits and Salaries are good. Work-life balance does not exist due to the nature of the job. This was my first job and I worked at CN for almost 22 years.
2 June 2020
Thank you for sharing your positive feedback! We pride ourselves on providing our team with great benefits, including the ability to learn, develop themselves and grow their careers. With a 24/7/365 operation CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We thank you for your hard work and helping move our business and the economy forward.
You are married to the company. You will exist only to keep the facility working so that the freight moves. If you do not move freight the share holders and company do not make money.
Pros
Very High Pay
Cons
Always on call 24 - 7
27 May 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback and for your hard work while at CN. With a 24/7/365 operation CN could not function without our dedicated employees. When we recruit talent to our operations teams, we spend a lot of time going over the working conditions and the realities associated with the railroad operating 24/7/365 days a year, including how being on call can disrupt your family life and important events. We hope you have found a position that is more in line with your career expectations.
The place is very nice. The colleagues are very nice to work with, and sometimes the meetings are not well defined. In my project there was a lack of good leadership
27 May 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. With a 24/7/365 operation CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We thank you for your hard work and having helped move our business and the economy forward.
CN was a very good company but recently the cuts have gone too far. The management is focused on cutting costs instead of customer service or innovation.
27 May 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback. With a 24/7/365 operation CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We thank you for having helped move our business and the economy forward.
Very stressful to work with this kind of company you have a lot of responsibility with no much pay, has to be equal but this is a big company doesnt care the culture for this company is old, all the work they doing there is like 100 years old.
20 May 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and for your hard work while at CN. With a 24/7/365 operation, we could not function without our dedicated employees. We thank you for having helped move our business and the economy forward. We hope that you have found a position that is more in line with your career expectations.
The pay is good but if you have a social life or enjoy spending time with your family then this is not the job for you. They don’t care about work life balance they want to make money!
20 May 2020
Seriously, don't do it bro wanna never sleep again? Or see the family? This is the job for you! Want to constantly get in trouble for nothing at all by management? Well this is the job for you!
15 May 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. With a 24/7/365 operation CN could not function without our dedicated employees. We thank you for your hard work and having helped move our business and the economy forward. We are sorry to hear about your experience with us and hope that you shared it with our colleague during your exit interview so we can develop strategies to do better in the future.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian National Railway. Our community is ready to answer.
2.6