Canadian National Railway Employee Reviews

Forward thinking company
Sr DevSecOps solution Architect/Engineer (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 May 2018
Provide a great ecosystem to learn and progress within management and technology . Great teamwork and environment to succeed and help your career in many angles.
was always on the road
Signals & Communications Helper (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 April 2018
cn was a good place to gain experience but the work schedule was horrible.. I worked all over ontario and was home one day a week.. So i resigned to be home with my family
Pros
educational
Cons
spent to much time away
Your whole life will become the railway
Conductor (Former Employee) –  British Columbia18 April 2018
Great company to work for as far as benefits and money goes. However you need to be aware you are signing your life away. On call makes it impossible to live any sort of life outside of work. Insane hours. constantly on the road. Constantly getting moved from city to city without a choice. There is a reason why CN has one of the highest divorce rates out of any company in North America. You are barely ever home. And when you are, you are constantly fretting about getting that call to go back. Overall would not recommend to anyone who wants to enjoy their life away from a train.
Pros
Money
Cons
Never home
Nice to work here
SAP Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 April 2018
Great company to work with.

Hardworking
custom focused

They have a great vision about the future of the company.
Working in a past paced Agile environment.
Oui pour l'argent sinon à éviter
Controlleur ferroviaire (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC5 April 2018
Culture d'entreprise pourrie, les cadres recevaient des bonus pour prendre leurs employés en défaut. Espionnage des employés par les cadres. Aucun travail d'équipe.

à prendre si vous voulez faire de l'Argent.
Pros
Salaire
bad atmosphere
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 April 2018
management is horrible, they only talk to you if your in trouble. the union is horrible. does not protect your job at all. if you speak up against anything you will be painting a target on your back. its more of an old boys club that doesn't like change and is more threatened by it. if you can keep your head down and do your job with your mouth shut, its for you.
Pros
pay
Cons
boring
Fun Place
Rail Traffic Controller (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 March 2018
Love Working around Very Nice People Lots of Learning im Very Comfortable Asking Questions Managment Should Be Happy We Need Days Off Work Very Instene Work Pays Well
Pros
Very Good Workplace
Cons
Long Hours When u Start
Great environment for a big corporation
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Various28 March 2018
I learned an incredible amount working at CN, I spent time in many different roles and was given extensive training for each of those roles, management was not always helpful but by and large they were.
No work life balance
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 March 2018
Long days, no work life balance, worked 60+ consecutive 12H shifts with out a rest day nor overtime pay or any compensation of any kind. CN seems to take advantage of their management personal.
Works you into the ground
Manager - Mechanical (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 March 2018
I work 60+ hours a week, for a thankless senior manager, who often forgets my name and qualifications. I have even been refused compensation for my work on multiple occasions.

Time to move on.
Pros
pays well
Cons
long hours, poor management structure, micromanagement
worst time of my life
Conductor / Switchtender (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 March 2018
Living by a 2 hour notice sucks!!! Sure the pay is good but you are harnessed in the yards by the Production Controller, Yard Masters, Road Masters etc....
has its good days and bad days
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 March 2018
Job itself is great. The hours and shift work are hard to manage. I don't recommend if you have family. Being on spareboard if that's where you end up is also really tough. The pay is great and that's why people stay.
CN is a good place to work with
2nd year apprentice electrician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 March 2018
Insurance activated on the first day. Work environment is a bit graze but has all PPE and close. Has very good training class. Workers are friendly. Has a good recreation center.
High energy workplace
Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC2 March 2018
There is always work to keep you busy. Many clients send emails regarding service inquiries. Always something new to learn. Would strongly recommend to others.
Pros
Friendly Coworkers
Cons
Did not provide the training I was expecting to receive from such a high quality establishment
Productivité
Proposé à inventaire (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC22 February 2018
Je suis retraité du Canadien national je recherche un emploie pour rapprocher de ma demeure.
If you are ok with sacrificing everything you know and do outside of work, the job does pay well with great benefits.
Engine Hostler/Watchman (Former Employee) –  Canada22 February 2018
Started 1600 shift for 2 years with bad weekends, moved to 2400 shift 2 more years with bad weekends. Some great co-workers but TERRIBLE MANAGEMENT! Don't get too comfortable with everyone either, there is always someone willing to stab you in the back. Alot of conflict of interest between some workers and management as well. For a company its size, it really is sad how bad the place is run and how they treat employees. I guess there's a reason they pay so well. The money wasn't worth the mental stress put on me by the environment though. That being said, I tip my hat to the people who can serve 35 years for a greasy company like CN.
Pros
Great wages, great benefits
Cons
Terrible management, terrible weekends, terrible life/work balance all around, company doesn't care about the worker one bit
In between jobs
Brake person (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK21 February 2018
Took this on between jobs but found that it is really for men vs women.

Involved a lot or being away from home and staying overnights in unisex facilities of which you even shared shower and bunks
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Long hours and away from home alot
Thermite wielder/Track maintainer (Former Employee) –  Ontario9 February 2018
I worked primarily in Northern Ontario, I found the travel was too much for my young family and felt I needed to work closer to home. The hardest part of the job was driving ten or more hours to get to a job site. Then driving home for a four day weekend every two weeks. Management could be hard to reach at times, but seemed to be fair in most situations. The best part of the job was seeing some of Northern Ontario. .
Pros
Pay was very good lots of overtime.
Cons
Northern Travel was hard on my vehicle
Demanding job but with big opportunities
Engineering Supervisor- Track and Roadways (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 February 2018
Good company with good people , very demanding work schedule as we are on call 24/7. Rewarding you keep grounded and don’t let things get to you too much
wide variety of job placement
Assistant Track Supervisor (Former Employee) –  British Columbia6 February 2018
worked there 8 years. would have finished my working career there if it wasn't for a change in my family situation....................................

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian National Railway. Our community is ready to answer.