Canadian National Exhibition Management reviews

Fun and enjoyable workplace
Ride Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 July 2018
1. I would make sure the rides were safe eg. the sit belts were still in tact and I would also check the if the cashier was working 100% percent if I had ticket sales that day. I would do all this before the CNE opened. The rest of the day would just be me selling tickets and checking if the each persons height is ideal for the ride.

2. I learned how the rides operate, how to know if there is something wrong and the customer service guidelines

3. Management is exceptional. They makes sure you understand every task clearly and will help you ti any means to complete it.

4. At the CNE every worker has to make sure everybody follows the rules and there are no exceptions for anyone.

5. The atmosphere

6.Meeting new people
Pros
Get to meet celebrities and other famous people
Cons
Long hours in the heat
Productive and Fun workplace
Booth Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 July 2018
-Start off by checking in and get pouch
-Get 1 hour break(15 and 30 minutes)
-Write down breaks you take
-Learned to co-operate well with others
-Management is Friendly and strict
-Most enjoyable part is interacting with customers
Great environment to work in
Dog show Usher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 June 2018
Overall working at the Canadian national exhibition was a great experience. I had learned different ways to communicate with the public and also gave me my first experience in a real workplace. A typical day was 8 hours but I enjoyed every moment of it. The management listened and took all our opinions into consideration. The most enjoyable part of working their was meeting different people and making friendships that could last forever.
Pros
free lunches, nice people
Cons
long days, far commute
Productive and Fun
Assistant Cook - H. Salt Fish & Chips (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 May 2018
Fast paced and detail orientated workplace
Workplace was very busy and required fast paced customer service skills
Management was great
Co-workers were fun to work with
Collaborative and active workplace
Cleaning Department Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 March 2018
The typical day involved leading others and quite a bit of traveling on foot. Learned a lot about communicating with others and assisting others whenever I can. Most of the management was strict but sociable.
Pros
Entrance to the exhibition on days off
Exciting but stressful environment
Concession Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 March 2018
The CNE is full of excitement and new experiences. For the two weeks, millions of people from different parts of the city come to see the attractions and especially to eat the food. As a concession stand worker, I encountered so many different people and that was one of the most enjoyable parts of the job. The hardest part of the job was maintaining stock as our cooking equipment was not large enough to provide for the amount of customers we were getting. This meant we were selling much faster than the food could cook. A typical day at work consisted of long hours of moving around, roasting corn, cutting lemons, cleaning the stations, making change and serving hundreds of customers a day. There was never a time in the day where business was slow. If anything, as the day went on, the longer the line got. The management was great. They made sure everyone was doing their jobs and they always gave us encouragement. I learned several things from working at the CNE. I learned how important having patience is when it comes to customer service and how having a positive attitude can get you through the longest and roughest days.
Relatively Easy work if only repetative
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 December 2017
Depending on the shift, the regular work day is reliant on the needs of the show, either pre-, during, or post cleaning. Management is good, the foremen are relatable, and the work culture is overall relaxed, but boring.
fun workplace
Casino Dealer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 September 2017
I learned a lot from my job: communicate and cooperate with colleagues, personnel scheduling, and professional skill.

The management of workplace was good, and the shift schedule was reasonable.

My favorite part of workplace culture is employees can take 15 minutes' rest in each hour.
Pros
15 minutes's rest in each hour
Cons
seasonal job
Job was tiring of cleaning garbage maintenance
CNE ground maintainer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 September 2017
A day at work was either rainy or sunny outside in terms of weather, and us employees had to pick up garbage, and return it back to the CNE maintenance.

The management was a little too aggressive, giving us limited breaks while on the job, working.

The hardest part of the job was to push the garbage bins all the way across the CNE grounds back to the CNE maintenance cleaning centre.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the sightseeing of the park, while on the job.
Pros
Employees got in for free, working or not.
Cons
Carrying garbage across the park for a long distance.
Fun
TICKET SELLER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 August 2017
Everyone is generally really nice and friendly. You are provided vehicles to take your tills back to the main office. Overall this job is good the only disadvantage would be the lack of parking for employees.
Pros
hours
Cons
no parking
Great opportunity for students and anyone else
Paper Picker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 June 2017
Great work environment and respect for the employees. The hours are great and the work is not overbearing. The other employees were great to work with. Gained experience in teamwork and communication skills.
Horrible
Housekeeping Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 May 2017
It's basically slave work. We worked in the 30-degree sun for 7 hours with 2 15 minute breaks. if you are caught slacking you are fired.
Quick money but i don't recommend it.
Pros
Make new friends
Cons
Everything else
Super fun place to work in
Program Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 April 2017
I really had so much fun working here, so much things to do in your break time. Amazing management. Not a flexible job, but got a lot of hours within a short period of time.
Summer fair job
Gate Attendee (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 April 2017
lots of friendly people from co-workers to supervisors and upper management - good job culture

hardest part of the job was standing outside in hot weather for long periods of time

most enjoyable part of the job was free access to fair grounds and friendly co-workers
Cne
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 April 2017
It was my first official job, the pay was good for a 16 year old and I got good hours. The management was nice and patient with training. The hardest part was impatient customers.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Long travel
Poorly managed, little regard for employees
Program Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 April 2017
I can't speak to the entirety of the CNE, but where I worked (in exhibition hall), it was a poorly managed, unnecessarily stressful work environment. It's sessional work and it is clear they do NOT care about employees at all. For 18 days I worked 6 hours a day with 30 min breaks each day (which was typical). They tried to stagger our breaks, but ended up scheduling some people to break 30 min into their shift and then working the rest of the day nonstop. Management got angry when we tried to switch break shifts with each other, even though it had no impact on our ability to man the exhibit. There were 3 managers for the exhibits and they were constantly breathing down our necks about things beyond our control. It seemed like their jobs were highly redundant: why were there 3 of them for a one person job? I got berated for things other staff members did, or things that had nothing to do with us at all (such as lack of traffic in our particular exhibit). Pay was minimum wage and no overtime pay despite working 40+ hrs/week for the 18 days (only exception was 1.5 pay on labour day). Basically they know that it's sessional work and employees have nowhere to formally complain about working environment so will likely just suck it up and not come back the following year.
Pros
consistent hours
Cons
tedious, long hours standing
Fun workplace
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 August 2016
A typical day at work would be taking orders and serving customers, and sometimes prepping the food. I learned how to handle different customers. The management was good, and was always there to assist. My co-workers were all friendly and made work much more enjoyable. I do not consider there to be a hard part of the job mainly because of the fact that I had previous work experience from McDonald's Canada. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my co-workers.
great place to work at
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 May 2016
A typical day at work was helping out customers. I learned a lot. The management were great. My co-workers were great. There were no hard parts to this job. The most enjoyable part of this job was that I was working with a lot of my friends.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
really long hours
Enjoyable working environment, friendly people
Ticket Collector (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 March 2016
Come in and get straight to work
Learned management side of ticket operations
Friendly management
Friendly co-workers
Free lunch
Pros
Pays well with lunch included
Fun Place to Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 January 2016
-reasonable hours
-social skills grew
-co-volunteers we're around the same age and friendly
-management was very nice and relatable
-hardest part of the job would be running out of flyers/programs too
quickly

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian National Exhibition. Our community is ready to answer.

Canadian National Exhibition Reviews by Location