Canadian Mental Health Association
Happiness score is 66 out of 100

Working at Canadian Mental Health Association: Latest Canadian Mental Health Association Reviews

Canada248 reviews

mentalcanadianclienthealthassociationsupportorganizationsupportive

Fulfilling workspace

Poor at training staff on new software. Culture of working unpaid overtime to get things accomplished. Coworkers are passionate about the work. Manager was aware people worked unpaid overtime but never addressed it because the stats looked good. Culture of burnout and feeling overworked.

Conducteur

Je voulais permis de travail pour travailler au Canada

Pros

Prêt

Cons

Oui

Insights into Canadian Mental Health Association

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager

I workers are supportive along with management. There are flaws, not getting paid what you deserve for the amount of work you do, not getting paid good mileage for all the travelling you do and highly burnt out rate. Housing program has a high turn over rate which is hard for staff but mostly the clients. Lots of opportunities to develop professionally.

Poorly organized and managed

Poorly managed and little organization. Great staff but the leadership is lacking. Non union so pay and benefits are poor. The clients need the support offered but the CMHA is not equipped or organized to properly deliver the services. Inexperienced managers who lack the training, experience and therefore skills to effectively lead/manage. Workplace safety is not prioritized or promoted. In the past the organization has been accused of poor cultural safety for indigenous clients. They are trying to address this but have a long way to go, IMHO. The excuse is always non profit organizations can’t afford it…..

Pros

Meaningful work

Cons

Low pay/benefits and inadequate leadership

Very judgemental and close minded group of people in the wrong field of work

It was worse than being back in high school! Most Co-workers, not all, were hard to work with as a team, their way or no way, management included! They need to be more tenant focused, than worrying about how to get after co-workers and sabotage them.

I very much enjoy working for CMHA as a case manager. I’m trusted to do my work, caseload is manageable, I have a supportive team and the work culture is good.

The CMHA Cowichan Valley Branch is a great place to work with a good culture stressing the important balance of work/life. Caring people, caring for people.

Wonderful staff and management

This is the best place I have ever worked! They care about staff wellness as much as the service recipients wellness. My manager continues to support me as a staff member and I’m even a student at CMHA.

You stay for the clients but leave traumatized due to power hungry and selfish management

There, I said it! Power tripping, over payed management who doesn’t care for clients or staff. Resulting in a work environment that is constantly dynamic- high turnover (the most staff resigning) and management leaving most of the workload on you instead of hiring more staff. Does not maintain good systems to support staff or even clients for that matter.

Execellent place to work. I was trained and guided when i first started to work. It made it easy to do my work. i would love to work there again.

i felt good each time i went to work. Thank you. Training was easy. work was easy. pay was good. i wanted to work for more hours than contract says. i had to arrive on time by taking the bus. the location was convienient. i really loved it.

Extreme high turnover due to terrible upper management, no onboarding, low salaries, no clear direction, and extremely long hours.The turnover is so high that it is not possible to build knowledge in the team, there are always new team members and the backlog builds up.

Excellent team and support

The entire organization is very supportive and collaborative. Management are approachable and kind. Clients are often in crisis but calm after meeting. Great holiday schedule, earned days off, benefits, and coworkers. Love it here

Pros

You are effectively helping people who are struggling and have a team to support you

Cons

Some people you are assisting can be difficult to help

Excellent co-workers but stressful clientelle

The homeless clients were heartbreaking to deal with. Very limited housing resources in this city. The staff were really friendly and helpful. Management was always available to answer questions.

Pros

Very inclusive work place

Cons

Dealing with suicidal clients

Worst place I've ever worked.

If you want to work for a company that does not care about your well-being or happiness, apply to CMHA. You will be anxious every day and have no guidance in your position. Worst job I have ever had.

Pros

Pay is okay but not worth the stress.

Cons

Everything.

Unsupported

Canadian Mental Health was my employer however I never felt any connection to our “higher up’s”. Our direct team lead and program manager (Permanent Supportive Housing) did the best they could without support from their own management. 10/10 would not recommend working for Permanent Supportive Housing until burnt out staff are replaced and policy and procedures have an over haul. Support worker title should be replaced with “Crisis worker, maid service.” Canadian Mental Health needs to lose this contract and be given to a organization that can handle the deaths, stress, and truly support their employees. Shame on Canadian Mental Health for failing the employees.

Great frontline staff but management is cluelessness

Management can’t decide on their direction and give training they don’t use. Eg conflict resolution. Staff are strongly encouraged to support more clients than they feel comfortable with.

I was given an amazing opportunity and worked with fantastic people. The best was flexible hrs helped with transportation

Only the tops staff get recognized the admin staff thrown to the wayside.over worked underpaid . CMHA we’re there when I lost family members and were supportive.

Pros

Flexible hours and some benefits

Cons

Long hours ungrateful team members constant over work and deadlines

Good Place to work.

Nice place to work. Good managers. Nice work life balance. Pay could be higher for the work you do. Managers are supportive. And team environment is great.

Positive atmosphere, great morale, good time off options

I love the culture at CMHA! Everyone pulls together to serve our clients to the best of our ability. Nonprofit funding is always tight so wages could be better but it is made up for in time off and positive work environment.

Poor management, expect you to be on call everyday, no benefits, no solid positions or chance of moving up in the organization.

This organization is in it for the money. If a bed isnt filled they arent earning, so they will allow just about anyone in the house, whether safe for other residents or not. Expect to be called everyday, when youre trying to enjoy your day off to fill a shift, only to get reprimanded if you dont take it. Gossip culture is huge in this organization and belittling casual staff through email by management is their form of professionalism. Huge turnover rate, so many good employees resigned from this job as management didnt care to listen to their needs or give them the respect they deserve. Needless to say this organization is a toxic work environment and you will likely take your work home with you.

Pros

More than minimum wage

Cons

Poor management/ toxic work environment No benefits No full or part time positions

Inspirational people making a difference.

I have truly enjoyed my time at Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) Peel Dufferin. A wonderful group of people working together to support mental health for all.

Pros

Great vacation time and benefits.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Mental Health Association. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement