Canadian Mental Health Association

Canadian Mental Health Association Employee Reviews

You have to be there for the right reasons

I love my job and what I do to help the homeless population. It can be challenging as we are going through Covid and an opioid epidemic. We have a strong supportive team.

Pros

When you see a client ready to fight their addictions or have moved into RECOVERY

Cons

Night Shift

No appreciation

I gave this company everything for 3 years. I Worked extra hours that I was not paid for because this was important . They decided to give my position to salaried workers so they saved money. I ironically I was the last one to find out. I found out by an email sent to everyone asking who would be interested.. Unfortunately then I got let go for something that happened in my personal life and had nothing to do with CMHA. They called and fired me while I was in the emergency room. I loved the work but management could not be trusted.

Pros

the work was enjoyable

Cons

No respect from management

Not great support for very difficult work

The people who work here are great, but are over-worked and not at all supported with training or support from management. There is a real us/them feeling with staff/management. Union is less than 10 years old. People are not promoted on merit, but on seniority alone. It means that there are some people in roles they should not be in.

Cons

No training or support

Positive work environment

CMHA Halifax Dartmouth Branch was one of the healthiest places I have ever worked in terms of workplace culture. Despite struggling for core finding like most not for profits the morale within the organization was outstanding.

Pros

Workplace culture was outstanding

Cons

Lack of funding

The worst place I have ever worked in my life

management staffs never cared about your mental health, they cared about numbers only. This is not a client-centered agency. Very disrespectful staffs and toxic working environment. I would not recommend anyone to apply for this position.

Client Centered Organization

Inspiring teams and dedication to supporting MH. Creative teams, great potential for program development. Variety of opportunities with community partnership development.

Inconsistent Leadership

Great opportunities to work with people. Decent pay and flexibility. Huge lack of support from leadership. Some were exemplary and holding up the others who were inadequate, ineffective and one primary one who was abusive and discriminatory. He's now gone though.

Pros

Wages, flexibility, opportunities to work with others

Cons

Leadership

Great place to work hands on wirh clients

Wonderful learning experience opportunity to work with individuals with many different mental health issues in a relaxed recreational program absolutely loved the job

Pros

Lunches provided

Cons

Confluct resolution experience a definite asset

Stressful and deceiving. I am very sad this is happening in an organization that is supposed to promote mental health.

The hiring and promotion processes are based on nepotism and favoritism. If you are part of the clique your chances of being promoted are very high. Hence, some will rate this place very high. Why wouldn’t they. It is very rewarding to be appreciated, have a good salary and benefits, while doing nothing. However, if you are not part of that clique, no matter how hard you work, you will be dismissed, denied promotion, marginalized, no contract, no benefits, and even fired with no cause. Nothing there is based on merits.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Everything else

Limited job security

Pros: - great clients- limited tolerance for abusive behaviour- interesting programs offered - ‘work life balance’ to the means 35hrs/weekFor FT work. However, most are hourly workers, so you make much less than other organizations - they try to do little things to show they care about employees (ex. Give little snacks) Cons: - Very top-heavy organization- Limited job security; communication from upper management, within the team, between programs is poor.- low rate of pay compared to other agencies

Jobs at Canadian Mental Health Association

See more jobs

Covid response

The protocols were very fluid creating confusion and conflict for the workers and clients. Harm Reduction understanding would be an asset. High need for conflict reduction skills and negotiation skills. Staff are constantly negotiating with clients to follow safety protocols during their isolation. Clients respond well to authentic care and support.

Pros

Stepping stone to gain permanent position within CMHA

Cons

High conflict Potential

Poison Work Environment - RUN

The leadership of this branch are three completely toxic sunshine list tyrants. Hiring and firing people without consultation with the person's manager, making up causes as suits them. Difficult to perform well when you are constantly watching your back.

Pros

salary

Cons

environment poisonous

A Pathetic Excuse for a Mental Health Organization...

This company is a farce, they like to preach "mental health for all" however that policy is not extended to their employees. Upper management does not care about the quality of work, only the quantity. They are looking to improve their numbers at no matter what cost to get more funding. There is no humanity at this company, they simply want robots who will work regardless of what is going on in their personal life. There is blatant favouritism and sexism that takes place in this company. It is a very toxic place to work, and employees are treated as less than human. The director steamrolls over everyone and does not address or validate any concerns.Managers like to be patronizing instead of understanding and like to use subtle veiled threats to keep their workers "in line". Anyone who does not blindly follow the ridiculous rules made by management, gets branded as problematic and argumentative,In short: do not work here, even if you are desperate. It is not worth the dehumanization and the mistreatment faced by employees.My advice to management would be to: listen to your employees. Do not assume you know better than them, just because you are their manager. Also learn some compassion and fix your email etiquette.

Wonderful coworkers and culture

I had great support from my team members the work atmosphere was very positive. I also had supportive Manager. I had wonderful education experiences and opportunities.

Pros

Team atmosphere

Cons

Wage, contract position

Poor Management

Staff are not supported by management. Staff often pitted against each other. Management intimidates staff with loss of hours or employment. When I was hired the Exec. Director at that time was very supportive of staff and clubhouse members. That changed when she left and a new ED was hired in 2011. Since then everything changed and not in a positive way!

Pros

Good wage and benefits (union)

Cons

Staff are not supported by management

Unfair workload, expectations, for minimum pay or apprecation

They overwork you and expect you to go way above and beyond. Since this program is still in its infancy, there is a lot of program development yet to be done. But those who are supposed to be responsible for program development do not take proper responsibility for their tasks and put it on coaches and other staff members.It is quite messy, disorganized, and coaches are made to suffer for it. For minimal pay.It gets hard to want to do a good job when in this exhausting environment. There are a lot of politics and nobody seems happy anymore.Used to be a fun place to work, but now the wrong leaders have come in and I would not recommend it anymore.Workplace culture is pretty bad. There are a few good people who care, but most are burnt out and unfair.

Cons

Bad workplace culture, low pay, unorganized, high workload expectations

Good people with good intentions

I enjoyed the freedom of designing and implementing programs and workshops as well as self directing my radio spots. I enjoyed being a hiring supervisor as well as team supervisor. I flourished in the two committees given to me to sit on and participate in and be a part of youth summit and economic development. I became a SafeTalk Trainer and was given updated ASSIST and ASK. I asked to take online training from Beck institution for CBT and DBT. I headed up Circle for Reconciliation and the nutrition program at the Damp House. This was an excellent year and a bit!

Pros

MH day of every 12 weeks

Cons

No advanced position or pay increases

Extremely toxic - very bad management

The company is toxic throughout and upper management is the cause and does nothing to fix it except hire a lawyer each year and pick a scape goat or two to fire. This has been very evident over the past 7 yrs. Taxpayer money is being blown to pay for lawyers to check for toxicity, and suggestions given but not followed as its cheaper and easier to fire someone. The finger should be pointed at upper management/HR as they are mentally abusive towards the employees. Run as fast as you can, or face a lot of mental anguish, and professional help.

Pros

Pay/Benefits

Cons

Mental Abuse/Toxicity

No Directions given

No clear instructions as to what they wanted from me I worked at two places one was the four x four filthy office they gave me I did what I understood was my position

Pros

The money

Cons

Manager

Unsupportive Management

Unsupportive management. No HR. Workplace culture is dishonest, lacks confidentiality, unprofessional, gossipy, and has declined tremendously. The work environment is not client-focused or employee supported, it is growth and funding hungry.

Pros

supporting members and residents, benefits, wage

Cons

no support for staff, bullying, targeting

great workplace

It was a great workplace with friendly people. It provided many opportunities to learn and use new skills, especially when it came to working with the public.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Mental Health Association. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement

Compare Canadian Mental Health Association with

• Canadian Mental Health Association
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?