Canadian Mental Health Association

Canadian Mental Health Association Employee Reviews

Canada192 reviews
Great Pay with a Great Company
CMHA provides site specific training and has manual upon manual for those who might need procedural refreshers while on the job.
If you love admin and paper work this is the place for you!
Sometimes good and Sometimes scaring
Working with homeless and Drug addicts could be a lot scaring at times, and also fun-filled.
We housing independent homeless and drug addicts and we make sure they are saved to live together under one roof without panic or fear.

We provided assistance to the overdose and reminded those who needed to take medication when necessary.
Cons
10 hours at night
Stressful work environment
The management is racist. In times of cut backs, minorities are targeted, especially among non-union staff. If you are a minority, your job may be at risk
Pros
Salary and benefits are great
Cons
Stressful job and possible discrimination
No room for growth
This job will burn you out there’s no support and office harassment is encouraged and rewarded. Overall if you want to maintain your sanity I’d advise you not to work at a place that doesn’t value their front line workers.
One of the best jobs I’ve had.
Great team to work with and environment was excellent, team worked collaboratively. This is the only place I’ve worked that i never felt left out on anything, I always was appreciated for my job though it was a temp, I really enjoyed working there
Excellent stepping stone.
I worked there on a short-term arrangement as part of a rehabilitation process for getting back into the work force. I found ALL the staff and management to very professional and compassionate and the work atmosphere to be unparalleled to any work environment I have had in my professional career.
By far my favourite summer job! Incredible staff and would happily work here again!
This summer job was my favourite by far. The people who work here are incredible and clearly passionate about their work. It is a very inspiring environment and allows for personal growth, as well as opportunities to gain valuable experience. I highly recommend this as a place of work and I hold my time here as a summer student with great regard.
Worst place ever ..
If you are working here then you know the importance of getting out. Look at the hidden agenda s of the people working there. Poor morale...poor salary...no room for advancements for minorities..no training...no support...
Not the best
When I started with CMHA I was treated very well. They would accommodate my school schedule, and work around my time off and other volunteer commitments perfectly. I was with them for a number of years and when I informed my supervisor that I needed her reference to apply for another job, that is when things started to change. I was no longer a priority and neither was the program I was running. I was given extra work projects and took on the duties of my other staff member that left with no extra pay or compensation. They give no benefits, no sick days, no mental health days. If you want to take any of those they go unpaid or you have to dip into your accrued vacation. The pay is on the lower end of the social services field, with no extra benefits whatsoever. It seemed like a fight to even get a paid day off to go do external training.
Management would make decisions about my position and program without my input on how their decision would affect me, and when I informed them that I was burning out, nothing was done. I was left in the dark with a lot of things and had my knowledge and skills stepped on by management numerous times, making me feel not worthy and capable.

I went on a medical leave for 8 weeks, and upon my return they had hired someone else for my position and put my in a back office doing assistant work. By law they do not have to give your position back, but they do have to give you comparable work and what I was given was not comparable. CMHA has been a great door agency for me in the social services field, and honestly I gained a lot from working with
 - more...
A great place to work
The learning opportunities are endless.
CMHA definitely knows how to treat their employees. Working at CMHA is an awesome experience. The staff are friendly and cooperative. Management is there when you need them. Flexible work hours and work from home policy are also very convenient. Great employee benefits.
I was there on a volunteer
I worked at the Canadian Mental Health Association many years ago as a man with a mental health issue.

I found my experience there very comfortable and supportive and the kindness and the professionalism of the employees exemplinary.

I highly recommend this organization for others who have experience with mental health issues themselves or know others that do.
My managers are very flexible in allowing for growth. They see the skills you possess and are willing to work with you to implement them.
Really enjoy my job. The experience I have had thus far allows me to use my talents to help my clients. Management is more understanding and accommodating than any other work place I have encountered. Truly an amazing place to work.
Bad management
Do not care about the mental health of their staff and the management is terrible. Very disorganized and all over the place. I would not recommend working here.
Great place to work at
Supportive in personal growth, flexible time, no micromanaging. I wish we had a better pay only to offset cost of living. I enjoy working here and hopefully
I can stay for a long period of time
work place
it was safe and clean had lots of people around very fun place to be at. loved my summer there. many staff members were helpful and pleasant at work and outside of work
Staff is unpaid and under valued
Staff is under paid in agencies outside of cities. No work life balance, high burn out rate, high turn over, not fully supportive of staff mental heath leaves with making sure staff is supported for recovery in returning to work.
Horrible Experience
Awful company. No Advancement. No employee support, even if safety is threatened. Do not expect fair wages. Bring up concerns and expect to be ousted.
The management philosophy has changed dramatically to a very hands on approach.
Since the changes in management style favouring a more hands on approach the culture on the job has changed drastically.
This major shift has resulted in higher staff turnover rates.

Having said that I recognize I grew both personally and professionally during my time with the organization.
Unprofessional
The Cranbrook office of CMHA tolerates behaviour from employees that warrants being fired at any other organization. It is unfortunate as the population that is served deserves better. Just because you are accredited doesn't mean you treat staff well.
Pros
Fair pay
Cons
Unhealthy workplace
Excellent place to wotl
Warm hearted people who are passionate about what they do and work hard to get it done. They’re truly a great example of what a Great workplace can be like.
Long nights and untrained co-workers
Loved working with the members. My manager was great but working with people with no lived experience was draining and upsetting. Lots of conflict and the pay for the work i did was aweful
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Mental Health Association. Our community is ready to answer.