Canadian Mental Health Association Employee Reviews

Low pay, no pension, shady management practices
Mental Health and Addictions Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON4 May 2018
Most jobs here are 9-5 Mon to Friday. The vacation package here is amazing. The work we do here is amazing. But the buck stops there.

The pay is too low for the work we do and the economics of the city, and most staff have not had a raise in over 7 years. There is no pension plan, and the medical benefits are weak.

There is an excessive amount of politics and gossips and the environments can be quite toxic.

Management is less than supportive of staff mental health, despite the agency supporting individuals with mental health challenges.

If you're deemed special at CMHA, you may get a raise or a promotion, but good luck at being a special one.

There is also some major issues with money management and how public funds are being spent. But I will not speculate or make accusations.
Pros
The clients
Cons
The pay and lack of benefits
Really enjoyed my time at this job.
Mental Health Clinician (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON23 April 2018
The people were great to work with and the management was very helpful and understanding. I would love to work there again if the opportunity ever came up.
Pros
Friendly staff, supervision meetings were helpful
Cons
Not enough employees to cover the client list, so some were stressed.
Discriminated by Supervisor due to Mental Illness
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 March 2018
The sad truth of working in this would otherwise-be awesome organization. I was discriminated on the basis of my mental illness, with a supervisor who refuse to learn about Seasonal Affective Disorder coupled with Schizo-Affective disorder affect people, let alone her sole underling.

Leadership is the key that led to our organization's demise and inevitable dissolution, and amalgamation.

The saddest part of this scenario is that because CMHA is a federated model, and we were the provincial division, I have nowhere to turn except upwards, which affect the whole organization.

It was nice working and volunteering for 8 years except for management's poor decision's making process.
Pros
Loving and caring colleagues (early on)
Cons
Discrimination based on Mental Health related issue
Mental Health for All
Distress Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB13 March 2018
The company advocates for mentally healthy people in a mentally healthy community. The supports and programming put forth for those struggling with mental illness is admirable.
Very interesting work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON28 February 2018
working with clients as greeter, telephone duties, accounts payable and receivables. Translation also part of duties

workplace very professional; great support from management.
Pros
great dynamic
Cons
some duties not consistent
Great change culture and focus on clients
Financial Accountant I (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON25 February 2018
Being in a support role, it was amazing to see the services and programs we offer. Great managers and directors. Great work/life balance. On contract, wish I could stay.
Pros
Snack day Friday
a typical day at work
COUNSELING INTERN (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON23 January 2018
A typical day at work Lead seminar groups emphasizing physical and mental well-being for groups of up to 20 people. The work environment was productive as it provided a lot of great learning opportunities and skills for the field. A lot of one on one interaction with the clients was a great way to learn first-hand how to cope and deal with the ethical and moral dilemmas you might face in the field. Overall a great experience even though it could get overwhelming.
Pros
one on one interaction with clients
Cons
job opportunities
I have really enjoyed co facilitating group for youths.
VOLUNTEER (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON13 December 2017
Whether it was running groups, or meeting one on one for peer support I learned so much. The atmosphere was always positive and supportive, non-judgmental. The best part of my job was witnessing growth, supporting those who were struggling get through tough times. On the other hand sometimes people aren't ready or their mental health struggle has been to difficult and I supported the group through a loss of life.
Good, well balanced, lots of changes
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON4 December 2017
There is a lot of structural changes, and they happen often. Always something new to do and learn, has the ability to be fast paced. Over all management team is great, although they are very busy, and not always available. This allows you to think independently, be a great problem solver and work great without directive.
Amazing agency
Crisis Outreach Support Worker (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON30 November 2017
CMHA is incredible to work for. Management and frontline staff work in partnership to best serve clients. I am so proud to be apart of such an agency!
Cmha
Mental Health Worker I (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC18 November 2017
great clients and staff, not enough pay for the work. i really enjoy it but i can not support myself with this job alone. Has been working for CMHA for the last three months starting date being September 12th 2016. As a Mental Health Worker I have been in charge of many responsibilities including promoting self-reliance and independence of residents living with multiple, chronic health challenges as they work to achieve the goals in their care plans. This involves building a professional rapport with residents during their activities of daily living such as attending exercise programs, volunteer shifts and doctor appointments, as well as coaching individuals in a manner that maintains and respects the spirit, dignity, inclusivity and individuality of others
Supportive Management
Shelter Worker (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC9 November 2017
Wonderful place to work, Management is very supportive and non-judgmental to all employees there is room for advancement within the organization. I recommend all who have the required experience to apply.
Great Association, needs more funding
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB22 October 2017
Due to the high stress nature working for their Housing First initiative, the pay compensation does not seem adequate given the demands of the job and security of the staff.
Pros
Lots of job supports
Cons
Insecure working areas and low compensation
Mental Health business with no regard for mental health.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Cranbrook, BC14 October 2017
I would not recommend working for this company. They have no regard for mental health. Very demeaning and arrogant. There are no service for employees to access regarding mental health. This company is awful to work for.
Pros
Cons
Everything about the company
Great place to grow and develop skills
Program Coordinator, Moving Ahead Program (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 September 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working at CMHA-Edmonton. I had autonomy to facilitate groups and support the individuals on my case load. All ideas were considered and I was trusted to complete my job. There was lots of opportunities to implement new programs. The culture was filled with warmth, connection and passion.
Pros
Warm and inviting, trust, innovative and open to change.
Cons
Funding sources makes your job security precarious.
Productive and fun workplace which provide various opportunities to improve
Waitlist Management Support (Current Employee) –  London, ON7 August 2017
I get to meet psychiatrist survivors of various personalities and interview them. This allows me to become more knowledgeable and a better communicator.
Pros
Own office
Cons
nothing
Past employee
Placement (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON22 July 2017
EVERYONE has value in this agency, not just those you like or are comfortable with socially. The agency needs to be managed on principle, not personality. Friends, associates, and those most favored do NOT make superior employees. The toxicity of the attitudes and backstabbing between staff WILL have severe consequences for the organization. The "policies and procedures" should not change from employee to employee and the administrators ego is a poor barometer for assessing the quality and character of staff.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Staff that contantly talks negatively about each other
brief counselling
Brief Counseling Placement Worker (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON17 July 2017
Great places, does great work, friendly and accomodating. Would recommned it as employer, hours ood and pay reasonable. Co-workers friendly and professional.
Excellent Group of Mentors
Presenter, Conference on Peer Support (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON14 July 2017
CMHA HKPR was an excellent start to my career in the Mental Health sector. The hardest part of the job, initially, was speaking in front of sizable crowds, and telling a very personal story. The most enjoyable part of the job, overall, was making a foray into peer support.
Spacious, bright workplace
Peer Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 July 2017
The most difficult part of the job was intervening in crisis situations, though this did not happen very frequently. I greatly enjoyed my coworkers, and interacting with the membership in programming.