Canadian Mental Health Association

Canadian Mental Health Association Employee Reviews

I love my job and what I do to help the homeless population. It can be challenging as we are going through Covid and an opioid epidemic. We have a strong supportive team.
Pros
When you see a client ready to fight their addictions or have moved into RECOVERY
Cons
Night Shift
I had great support from my team members the work atmosphere was very positive. I also had supportive Manager. I had wonderful education experiences and opportunities.
Pros
Team atmosphere
Cons
Wage, contract position
Staff are not supported by management. Staff often pitted against each other. Management intimidates staff with loss of hours or employment. When I was hired the Exec. Director at that time was very supportive of staff and clubhouse members. That changed when she left and a new ED was hired in 2011. Since then everything changed and not in a positive way!
Pros
Good wage and benefits (union)
Cons
Staff are not supported by management
They overwork you and expect you to go way above and beyond. Since this program is still in its infancy, there is a lot of program development yet to be done. But those who are supposed to be responsible for program development do not take proper responsibility for their tasks and put it on coaches and other staff members.It is quite messy, disorganized, and coaches are made to suffer for it. For minimal pay.It gets hard to want to do a good job when in this exhausting environment. There are a lot of politics and nobody seems happy anymore.Used to be a fun place to work, but now the wrong leaders have come in and I would not recommend it anymore.Workplace culture is pretty bad. There are a few good people who care, but most are burnt out and unfair.
Cons
Bad workplace culture, low pay, unorganized, high workload expectations
I enjoyed the freedom of designing and implementing programs and workshops as well as self directing my radio spots. I enjoyed being a hiring supervisor as well as team supervisor. I flourished in the two committees given to me to sit on and participate in and be a part of youth summit and economic development. I became a SafeTalk Trainer and was given updated ASSIST and ASK. I asked to take online training from Beck institution for CBT and DBT. I headed up Circle for Reconciliation and the nutrition program at the Damp House. This was an excellent year and a bit!
Pros
MH day of every 12 weeks
Cons
No advanced position or pay increases
The company is toxic throughout and upper management is the cause and does nothing to fix it except hire a lawyer each year and pick a scape goat or two to fire. This has been very evident over the past 7 yrs. Taxpayer money is being blown to pay for lawyers to check for toxicity, and suggestions given but not followed as its cheaper and easier to fire someone. The finger should be pointed at upper management/HR as they are mentally abusive towards the employees. Run as fast as you can, or face a lot of mental anguish, and professional help.
Pros
Pay/Benefits
Cons
Mental Abuse/Toxicity
No clear instructions as to what they wanted from me I worked at two places one was the four x four filthy office they gave me I did what I understood was my position
Pros
The money
Cons
Manager
Unsupportive management. No HR. Workplace culture is dishonest, lacks confidentiality, unprofessional, gossipy, and has declined tremendously. The work environment is not client-focused or employee supported, it is growth and funding hungry.
Pros
supporting members and residents, benefits, wage
Cons
no support for staff, bullying, targeting
It was a great workplace with friendly people. It provided many opportunities to learn and use new skills, especially when it came to working with the public.
Amazing place to work for and very rewarding. The management has a good way to approach employees and to help with any questions. The work is rewarding and the pay I'd decent. iI did my year placement with them and loved it. I got to learn so much and connect with clients to help them empower themselves. I recommend working here.
Pros
Great work experience
Cons
Low wages
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Canadian Mental Health Association?
I've enjoyed working for CMHA and find the people who work there positive, happy and helpful. They care about the people they serve and their employees.
Pros
Working with professionals
Cons
Could be paid more
Thunder Bay branch is the most toxic environment I have ever encountered. Management is terrible and senior administration (3 people) are the toxic creators. HR is a nightmare, and with the director you have the perfect bully team. New CEO is a follower. They are just waiting to take people out. You will be harassed on multiple levels by employees and management. This place is not worth your time, energy or passion. Go somewhere else where you can be a whole person without the fear and stress that will result in counselling sessions that you will be in, in order to get rid of the negative energy that will infiltrate you. The poor clients of this place are NOT getting what they deserve. RUN!
Pros
A paycheck
Cons
Stress, anxiety, emotional toll on your soul
Most relaxed place I have ever worked! Genuine people who absolutely care about your mental health and well being! I have the ability to learn and grow each shift I work there! Always bettering my self and my life
Pros
Work hours, work environment, coworkers
Cons
Pay.
Worked there for several years worked my but off they gave my position away to another outside company and tried to demote me so I quit Middlesex division
Pros
money is good
Cons
racists
CMHA provides site specific training and has manual upon manual for those who might need procedural refreshers while on the job. If you love admin and paper work this is the place for you!
Working with homeless and Drug addicts could be a lot scaring at times, and also fun-filled. We housing independent homeless and drug addicts and we make sure they are saved to live together under one roof without panic or fear. We provided assistance to the overdose and reminded those who needed to take medication when necessary.
Cons
10 hours at night
The management is racist. In times of cut backs, minorities are targeted, especially among non-union staff. If you are a minority, your job may be at risk
Pros
Salary and benefits are great
Cons
Stressful job and possible discrimination
This job will burn you out there’s no support and office harassment is encouraged and rewarded. Overall if you want to maintain your sanity I’d advise you not to work at a place that doesn’t value their front line workers.
Great team to work with and environment was excellent, team worked collaboratively. This is the only place I’ve worked that i never felt left out on anything, I always was appreciated for my job though it was a temp, I really enjoyed working there
I worked there on a short-term arrangement as part of a rehabilitation process for getting back into the work force. I found ALL the staff and management to very professional and compassionate and the work atmosphere to be unparalleled to any work environment I have had in my professional career.
This summer job was my favourite by far. The people who work here are incredible and clearly passionate about their work. It is a very inspiring environment and allows for personal growth, as well as opportunities to gain valuable experience. I highly recommend this as a place of work and I hold my time here as a summer student with great regard.