Canadian Mental Health Association Employee Reviews

Interesting, supportive and compassonate.
Tenant Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, AB23 November 2018
I held, night shifts for about 2 years, then moved into case management for another 2 years and then moved to evening supervisor for another year.
The people served were real, fun to get to know and have goals set for their improvement of living. It was a great place to get to know staff and be available for tenants 24 hours a day.
Pros
Character buliding, great experiences and skill bulding.
Cons
Intense momments with tenants in problem solving.
Management is congenial and respectful of those under their care.
Courier (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON14 November 2018
Been with this organization for years. Very pleasant and helpful community of staff and members alike. They are like family to me. Management is congenial and respectful of those under their care. I am happy and grateful to be associated with them. The best part of my work is that it doesn't actually feel like work. I'm able to work completely unsupervised. There is a mutual trust which took years to build. My only complaint, if I had to make one, would be that I don't get enough work hours with them. Otherwise, they are the best company I've ever had the privilege to work for.
Pros
Unsupervised work
Cons
not enough workable hours
It feels good to work at a Non profit organization and help people
Team Leader for The Buffalo (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB18 October 2018
I started at the bottom and worked my way up as positions above me opened up. So lots of opportunities to grow. Employer puts work/life balance as a high priority to minimize burn-outs. Different managers had different views of how things were supposed to be done. That has created some confusion among staff. Overall I learned a lot from the managers I had to work with.
Pros
Empathy and understanding in most managers.
Cons
Shift work, including night shifts.
An excellent place to work. An organization with high ethical and professional standards.
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  York Region Ontario5 July 2018
An excellent place to work. An organization with high ethical and professional standards, managed by individuals with Positive Attitude, Warmth, Competence, and Accountability. Great team work and support. An organization that treats its employees, clients, and the wider community with respect. Freedom is allowed in decision making, developing new ideas, and personal expression.
A good team environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB27 June 2018
During my contract, I have ha the opportunity to work with a number of people who are passionate about their work and giving back to the community. No role is too small and we all work together in our office to make sure all our fundraisers, programs, and events are successful. My role as an administrative assistant/receptionist has allowed me to hone my interpersonal skills, being the first line of contact in the office, as well as my organizational and clerical skills. I'm fortunate that I was able to start my career here.
The company in itself is great but poorly managed
Team Lead/Assistant Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB25 June 2018
The management here is a very poorly run operation and has no problem letting people go if you stand up for your fellow co-workers. I watched a woman on a huge power trip in charge of clients with mental health abuse her staff, lose patience and become very unprofessional with so many of the employees - after I quit so did half the staff and it was truly because of the coordinator - be cautious of this woman and beware
Pros
great pay
Cons
horrible management
get people to work ,very easy going
Handyman (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON23 October 2018
a lot of differnt jobs.
they kept me busy,painting ,furniture building,plumbing,dealing with clients and management.helped with organization of the work day and week for te general help.
Pros
free soup every day
Cons
they were great people to work for
Amazing supportive community
Respite Worker (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 June 2018
Love working here, they are all so understanding and positive and there for you when you need them. They are great to respond in timely manner as you are often working alone. Knowing you can still reach people for support while off site is wonderful. any questions and or concerns you have are always addressed right away!
Pros
Large caring business
Cons
So many employers
Best Job I've Ever Had
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB12 October 2018
Couldn't recommend this organization enough, never have I been so valued as a worker or so respected by my superiors. I did meaningful work and had an amazing work life balance, and all the support you could ask for. 10/10.
Good place to work for
Senior Graphic Designer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 October 2018
Work was plentiful and a great environment. They use a lot of short contract employees that make it hard. If you get fulltime permanent position, then there are great benefits.
Low pay, no pension, shady management practices
Mental Health and Addictions Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON4 May 2018
Most jobs here are 9-5 Mon to Friday. The vacation package here is amazing. The work we do here is amazing. But the buck stops there.

The pay is too low for the work we do and the economics of the city, and most staff have not had a raise in over 7 years. There is no pension plan, and the medical benefits are weak.

There is an excessive amount of politics and gossips and the environments can be quite toxic.

Management is less than supportive of staff mental health, despite the agency supporting individuals with mental health challenges.

If you're deemed special at CMHA, you may get a raise or a promotion, but good luck at being a special one.

There is also some major issues with money management and how public funds are being spent. But I will not speculate or make accusations.
Pros
The clients
Cons
The pay and lack of benefits
Wanted it to be good
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 July 2018
So many changes occur at this agency, good it keeps you open and up to date with best practices in the mental health field. They only value a few pets they have and have a habit of firing staff at random and keeping ones that are sweet but do no work. The work culture is like no place I have ever worked and it can't be explained unless you experience it...if you dare. It looks and sounds great on paper...and I really would love to give an excellent report from my time there but...never..they attacked my confidence and made me feel as though my own opinions were always wrong. There is such potential to do great work for persons with mental health issues but this company is not the place if you want to do good work for people. Don't leave a decent job for this one.
Pros
Weak management structure, promotion of unqualified persons, not holding employees to account through coaching=poor coaching
Cons
Downtown ZERO parking, company vision is never communicated to staff, zero communication.( new staff, leaving staff, meetings, open postings never open to all).
Really enjoyed my time at this job.
Mental Health Clinician (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON23 April 2018
The people were great to work with and the management was very helpful and understanding. I would love to work there again if the opportunity ever came up.
Pros
Friendly staff, supervision meetings were helpful
Cons
Not enough employees to cover the client list, so some were stressed.
Community organization
Housing Outreach Worker, (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 June 2018
Great place to work; community engagement and folks who you work with are terrific as well as flexible hours and days make it great for working while having a family.
Discriminated by Supervisor due to Mental Illness
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 March 2018
The sad truth of working in this would otherwise-be awesome organization. I was discriminated on the basis of my mental illness, with a supervisor who refuse to learn about Seasonal Affective Disorder coupled with Schizo-Affective disorder affect people, let alone her sole underling.

Leadership is the key that led to our organization's demise and inevitable dissolution, and amalgamation.

The saddest part of this scenario is that because CMHA is a federated model, and we were the provincial division, I have nowhere to turn except upwards, which affect the whole organization.

It was nice working and volunteering for 8 years except for management's poor decision's making process.
Pros
Loving and caring colleagues (early on)
Cons
Discrimination based on Mental Health related issue
Clients are great within the agency
Female Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB12 June 2018
Day to day work with clients was the best part of the position.
Sometimes working along side coworkers and management was the the most difficult part of the position.
Great Team
Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 May 2018
CMHA is very respectful and open to new members. It is very accepting and is culturally diverse. The atmosphere is pleasant to work in and the benefits are great. Even the managers are very approachable.
Great Place to work
Student (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 June 2018
I completed y student placement here and I loved it so much. Everyone is so friendly and are so willing to help you learn. I got to experience so much.
a typical day at work
COUNSELING INTERN (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON23 January 2018
A typical day at work Lead seminar groups emphasizing physical and mental well-being for groups of up to 20 people. The work environment was productive as it provided a lot of great learning opportunities and skills for the field. A lot of one on one interaction with the clients was a great way to learn first-hand how to cope and deal with the ethical and moral dilemmas you might face in the field. Overall a great experience even though it could get overwhelming.
Pros
one on one interaction with clients
Cons
job opportunities
Very interesting work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, ON28 February 2018
working with clients as greeter, telephone duties, accounts payable and receivables. Translation also part of duties

workplace very professional; great support from management.
Pros
great dynamic
Cons
some duties not consistent