Canadian Mental Health Association
Happiness score is 67 out of 100

Canadian Mental Health Association Employee Reviews

Canada240 reviews

Excellent co-workers but stressful clientelle

The homeless clients were heartbreaking to deal with. Very limited housing resources in this city. The staff were really friendly and helpful. Management was always available to answer questions.

Pros

Very inclusive work place

Cons

Dealing with suicidal clients

You stay for the clients but leave traumatized due to power hungry and selfish management

There, I said it! Power tripping, over payed management who doesn’t care for clients or staff. Resulting in a work environment that is constantly dynamic- high turnover (the most staff resigning) and management leaving most of the workload on you instead of hiring more staff. Does not maintain good systems to support staff or even clients for that matter.

Insights into Canadian Mental Health Association

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager
  • Sense of belonging

Execellent place to work. I was trained and guided when i first started to work. It made it easy to do my work. i would love to work there again.

i felt good each time i went to work. Thank you. Training was easy. work was easy. pay was good. i wanted to work for more hours than contract says. i had to arrive on time by taking the bus. the location was convienient. i really loved it.

Extreme high turnover due to terrible upper management, no onboarding, low salaries, no clear direction, and extremely long hours.The turnover is so high that it is not possible to build knowledge in the team, there are always new team members and the backlog builds up.

Excellent team and support

The entire organization is very supportive and collaborative. Management are approachable and kind. Clients are often in crisis but calm after meeting. Great holiday schedule, earned days off, benefits, and coworkers. Love it here

Pros

You are effectively helping people who are struggling and have a team to support you

Cons

Some people you are assisting can be difficult to help

Worst place I've ever worked.

If you want to work for a company that does not care about your well-being or happiness, apply to CMHA. You will be anxious every day and have no guidance in your position. Worst job I have ever had.

Pros

Pay is okay but not worth the stress.

Cons

Everything.

Unsupported

Canadian Mental Health was my employer however I never felt any connection to our “higher up’s”. Our direct team lead and program manager (Permanent Supportive Housing) did the best they could without support from their own management. 10/10 would not recommend working for Permanent Supportive Housing until burnt out staff are replaced and policy and procedures have an over haul. Support worker title should be replaced with “Crisis worker, maid service.” Canadian Mental Health needs to lose this contract and be given to a organization that can handle the deaths, stress, and truly support their employees. Shame on Canadian Mental Health for failing the employees.

Great frontline staff but management is cluelessness

Management can’t decide on their direction and give training they don’t use. Eg conflict resolution. Staff are strongly encouraged to support more clients than they feel comfortable with.

I was given an amazing opportunity and worked with fantastic people. The best was flexible hrs helped with transportation

Only the tops staff get recognized the admin staff thrown to the wayside.over worked underpaid . CMHA we’re there when I lost family members and were supportive.

Pros

Flexible hours and some benefits

Cons

Long hours ungrateful team members constant over work and deadlines

Good Place to work.

Nice place to work. Good managers. Nice work life balance. Pay could be higher for the work you do. Managers are supportive. And team environment is great.

Positive atmosphere, great morale, good time off options

I love the culture at CMHA! Everyone pulls together to serve our clients to the best of our ability. Nonprofit funding is always tight so wages could be better but it is made up for in time off and positive work environment.

Poor management, expect you to be on call everyday, no benefits, no solid positions or chance of moving up in the organization.

This organization is in it for the money. If a bed isnt filled they arent earning, so they will allow just about anyone in the house, whether safe for other residents or not. Expect to be called everyday, when youre trying to enjoy your day off to fill a shift, only to get reprimanded if you dont take it. Gossip culture is huge in this organization and belittling casual staff through email by management is their form of professionalism. Huge turnover rate, so many good employees resigned from this job as management didnt care to listen to their needs or give them the respect they deserve. Needless to say this organization is a toxic work environment and you will likely take your work home with you.

Pros

More than minimum wage

Cons

Poor management/ toxic work environment No benefits No full or part time positions

Inspirational people making a difference.

I have truly enjoyed my time at Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) Peel Dufferin. A wonderful group of people working together to support mental health for all.

Pros

Great vacation time and benefits.

Gaslighting culture. Upper management arrogant and unapproachable. Insulting

Ironically, working for CMHA was the worst possible place to achieve good mental health. The work-life balance is way off with demands from supervisors and no time to complete.

Pros

Union has your back but not a strong union

Cons

Gaslighting, false accusations, impossible work load

Overall a good place to work.

There has been a new CEO for the past year and a lot of changes to the organization in senior management, along with the emergence of this pandemic leads to some uncertainty. Good place to get started and gain a lot of mental health experience. Lots of opportunities to move laterally within the company, with a few opportunities to move up as well.

Most experiences positive

Good opportunities for educational improvement.Good support with client appointmentsActivities to enhance relationshipsOpportunities to support communityGood one on one time with individual clientsGood contacts with community sources and medical professionals

Pros

Lunches provided with community activities

Cons

Cant fix all concerns

A wonderful introduction to the MANY services available in our area.

Collaboration with other social and medical services in town has been very useful in the 26 yrs. I have been in this area. I was given creative license to create professional programs, primarily in the public sector but also in the private sector.There was great relationship-building within the office and the community.

Pros

exposure in the community, creative license encouraged in ones' work

Cons

few people doing many things

No appreciation

I gave this company everything for 3 years. I Worked extra hours that I was not paid for because this was important . They decided to give my position to salaried workers so they saved money. I ironically I was the last one to find out. I found out by an email sent to everyone asking who would be interested.. Unfortunately then I got let go for something that happened in my personal life and had nothing to do with CMHA. They called and fired me while I was in the emergency room. I loved the work but management could not be trusted.

Pros

the work was enjoyable

Cons

No respect from management

Not great support for very difficult work

The people who work here are great, but are over-worked and not at all supported with training or support from management. There is a real us/them feeling with staff/management. Union is less than 10 years old. People are not promoted on merit, but on seniority alone. It means that there are some people in roles they should not be in.

Cons

No training or support

Positive work environment

CMHA Halifax Dartmouth Branch was one of the healthiest places I have ever worked in terms of workplace culture. Despite struggling for core finding like most not for profits the morale within the organization was outstanding.

Pros

Workplace culture was outstanding

Cons

Lack of funding

The worst place I have ever worked in my life

management staffs never cared about your mental health, they cared about numbers only. This is not a client-centered agency. Very disrespectful staffs and toxic working environment. I would not recommend anyone to apply for this position.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Mental Health Association. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement