Canadian Grain Commission

Canadian Grain Commission Employee Reviews

Canada14 reviews
I loved working with everyone there. I only met friendly people. I was only hired on by contacts so you don't have any benefits. That's my only complaint. You learn so much from the people there, they help you grow and everyone there is like a family. I left because I did not like the fact that I was only hired on 3 months at a time, never knowing if I'd be hired back on. Other than that, amazing place!
Sexism? I can go on if any of this gets cut!!!
When the manager found out I had kids, he asked how could I work this job?

Extreme overtime?

I worked 4 doubles and was sick on Friday but came to my shift. I was told I was required to work Saturday, but I work over my required overtime. I was told to get a doctors note for a day I was not scheduled to work. Was punished.

Won
Pros
Nepotism
Cons
Racism
There is support for career advancement and opportunities for learning. I learned that you need to learn to work alone and to be able to be on your own. It was very busy.
terrible place to work, old run by an old boys club if you are not in the cool group or related to someone important or sell your first born child you will go nowhere, nepotism is rampant here also management has no skills required to be in a manager position they are terribly unskilled to fill a manager position, they do as they please and blacklist people for unknown reasons
Pros
not much
Cons
horrible management
During my 7-year tenure at the Canadian Grain Commission working as Administrative Assistant to numerous Grain Research Scientists, I performed my duties in an open environment along with other co-workers who also provided support duties for the scientists.
My duties included: making international travel arrangements, obtaining visas and passports; preparing and verifying travel expense claim forms; following the Government of Canada's Travel Policy as well as the Financial Administration Act. I also typed a myriad of letters, reports, abstracts, and technical documents.

The scientists were highly-educated, i.e., PhDs and performed their duties competently. They treated all staff with dignity and respect.

It was a continuous-learning environment including International doctorates who came to the Grain Research Laboratory for different amounts of time to gain more knowledge of Canadian wheat, barley, oats and grain-seed oils.
Pros
Situated in downtown Winnipeg close to many businesses.
Cons
Outside service parking.
A well organized group of intelligent and hard working scientific minds. Easy to work with and discuss different opinions. Great location at the heart of the down town.
Pros
great location
Cons
bad temperature regulation in the building
Preparing grain samples for analyses and inspecting grain samples and grain elevators for infestation. Reporting the infestations to the grain elevators.
Pros
Getting to see small towns around the province
Cons
Have to stay at computer for long periods at times
A great place to work! Everyone is very friendly and great to work with. As someone with no Human Resources background, I was able to learn a lot. Management is great and approachable.
follow work regulations
safety protocols

enjoyable co workers

available room to learn and progress in knowledge of job

cons advancement in job limited to space available
Pros
breaks were always available
Cons
sometimes becoming a overtime hound was a easy trap
Possibilidade de desenvolvimento de diferentes métodos para estudo de assuntos relacionados a grãos oleoginosos.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Canadian Grain Commission?
Technical support, Remote desk support, Monitoring servers, server patches, make sure the servers are up and running fine, take care of clien machines
Learned a lot from headquarter staff about handling servers, vmware stuff, switches and routers stuff

The hardest part is receiving call any time at night.

The most enjoyable part is you are always on the bit, up to date with technology
You're in good hands with the staff here, and there are plenty of opportunities for both student employment and growth. Along with fair pay and opportunities for employment after Student Co-ops are done.

However, be wary that anything can change in a heart-beat due to the CGC being an arms-length Government Corporation.
No longer exists as CGC was taken over by private industry. Great people working with a lot of knowledge.
Pros
No longer exists
Cons
No longer exists
Overall my summer co-op position with the Canadian Grains Commission was very educating and a great work experience in the science/laboratory field. All management and co-workers were very friendly and willing to lend a helping hand to a new student in the facility. Between managing a project and working along side chemists on research projects I was kept busy throughout the day. The hardest part was learning to use new instruments or equipment, but once I was comfortable I enjoyed the work and reward of understanding how to use these instruments. I learned how to develop new methods, use new instruments and quality control in the workspace. I thoroughly enjoyed my placement at The Canadian Grains Commission for the summer of 2012.
Pros
Great position to gain general knowledge of Canadian Grains.
Cons
Only a summer co-op position.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Grain Commission. Our community is ready to answer.
Canadian Grain Commission Reviews by Location