Canadian Freightways Employee Reviews

Ok place to work for
Bilingual Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 June 2018
Very nice atmosphere to work with great people around you. Work is definitely enjoyable. Very low level of stress to deal with and would definitely recommend this company
Everyone including management is overworked
Logistics & Freight Forwarding Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 May 2018
Because of the stiff competition in the transportation sector today there is little room for profit, thereby forcing trucking companies to overwork their personnel for little reward.
Highway owner operater
Owner Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 November 2017
I was an owner operator running Alberta, B.C., and Saskatchewan. Did pin to pin and also pulled extended length. I quit because I did not want to run on the highway no longer
i wouldn't recommend this place
Dock Worker (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC24 October 2017
dusty place to work, very cheap, rarely buys people lunch. freezing in the winter and hot in the summer. odd hours for new employees. doesn't care about safety.

productivity over safety type of place
Pros
security
Cons
lazy seniors
Interesting work
Maintenance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 August 2017
Co-workers were extremely knowledgeable and helpful. The most difficult part was learning a new computer system. Lots of screens to flip through. I learned quickly how to fix my own errors and make improvements to my work habits for efficiency. The most enjoyable part of the job was lending my help to others as we worked as a team.
Great company overall, just a few flaws
Billing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 August 2017
Quite simple job, and little interaction required with others! Management isn't the best and taking time off can be quite hard as only one person from the whole office can be away at one time. Working overtime with very little , to no notice given.
Pros
Quiet office
Cons
Working overtime, no dental benefits
Good place work
Line Haul Driver (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC25 July 2017
Good place to work long hours and not much home time. company going through transition, to replace company drivers with owner operators. Management easy to work with and has open door policy.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
never home
Excellent Employer with great benefits
Customer care associate in a call center (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB20 July 2017
I very much enjoyed this position, I would recommend working for this employer in any aspect. There is a lot of room for advancement and the people are very helpful and friendly.
Sadly, Customer Care Centre was closed at the Lethbridge location.
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB5 June 2017
My resume details my tasks with CF. Our team was exceptional. Trained, knowledgeable and quite suited to work together. One of my favorite jobs where management stood before us and made sure we had everything we needed to provide exemplary customer service.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Centre closed in Lethbridge
It has been an enjoyable company to work for over 26 years.
Sr. Account Representative (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK28 May 2017
A typical day at work for me required for me to call upon existing customers and obtain new customers. In my 22 years with this company, I have learned how to manage people with confidence in my decisions and how to delegate my time to the best of my ability.
I was part of the local management until I changed positions. I worked with employees that have been with the company as long as I have and have developed good relationships with them.
The current workplace culture is a little negative with some upper management changes; long time employees leaving the company and it is been hard to see them go.
The hardest part of my job is to hear about all the competition and the rates they are offering and what we are offering. I have to wonder how these other companies stay in business with offering such low ball pricing.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with our existing customer base. A lot of our customers I have been working with as long as I have been in the transportation industry - 27 years.
Pros
Getting out to see our customers
Cons
Losing to competition
Great work environment
Rate Quote Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 May 2017
Great place to work, work days fly by, and the best part you don't take work home with you. Great group of people that have been with the company long time. Excellent management.
review
Line Haul Driver- Owner Operator (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC26 February 2017
days at work are good
learned about safety
management can be better
work place culture could be better
working at nights is hard
Enjoy the good paycheques when working.
No senority no work . It's like on call work as owner operator .
Line haul owner operator (Current Employee) –  Buranaby22 February 2017
This place only gives work in Senoirity order .
Teamster Union and Canadian Freightways has no equality work . .
There is no bottom line work, only Seniority . Specially for Tractive express owner operator div . If you have no senority you have no. Work . Extra work is offered to senority even if the junior people didn't get any work . Union only collects union dues
Pros
Cons
Extra long hour at home
Company slowly going down the drain.
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 January 2017
get out while you still can. Five years ago our warehouse was full, with freight up to our eyeballs and as much overtime as you could handle. Gradually we have been losing business. Major layoffs have left me as the junior employee, with more than 10 years seniority.
Productive.
General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 January 2017
I gained a lot of skills while working as a general clerk at Canadian Freightways. I was able to manage multi tasking and I gained lots of organizational skills. It's a place that you will learn a lot and you will carry your skills in your new profession.
Pros
Helpful Management
going down fast
Driver (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC19 December 2016
Not a very good place to work anymore..im just playing it out til it shuts down or i can retire..no more new equipment. .terminals shut down..since transforce took over its always about the mighty dollar..management getting very heavy handed always pushing you to the last minute..two thumbs down
Pros
good bunch of drivers and dock guys in burnaby
Cons
overall shiity place to work
Seniority is life there
Heavy equipment technician, Calgary Ab (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 June 2016
if you are the bottom guy, this guys will make you know it and feel it, i was there for 4.5 years and i could tell that the senior guys there felt they could get away with saying and treating you however they pleased and management was so busy not getting involved and avoiding paperwork that there would never be any Repercussions
Pros
Non rushed
Cons
you will work midnight shift 5pm-2AM
General Clerk /Office Administration (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC1 March 2016
In my position as General Clerk has many duties and tasks the very in difficulty. In Bond shipment, OS&D, Logistics to Vender Logs maintenance. One of my favorite things to due is track down shipments from who its for where it came from, like being an investigator using different avenues to track the need information down. Our manager here is beyond compare always very professional.
Pros
Allowed to donated OS&D to charities
Cons
That our terminal will be closing
poor management
Dock (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 January 2016
when tfi took over the place went down hill,how do you hire management that have shut down other companys (byers etc)and give him more money ! shut down PG and give him better job in edmonton (northern ops)shut down ftm get jod in regina , manager in cgy quits goes to day&ross cuts down the company and few months later hire back!!! more pay better job (i dont get it) lower management very good people but can't say anything ! the safey is a joke satey til it cost money ? upper management can't Run water
Pros
wage
Cons
poor management, stuck in 80's not willing to move foreward
Avoid
Driver class 1 (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 December 2015
management is poor, teamsters presence makes atmosphere toxic. no rewards, promotions don't exist, poor shifts unless you have 20 yrs employment (seniority)
company has stopped being responsible for benefits-passed off to unions.
continual rumours of complete shutdown of company
company has said jobs may exist for next year and a half
company is shrinking rather than expanding, currently half the size it was two years ago
only two work shops left so mechanic jobs are few
forced to pay parking fee for coming to work
was once the company to work for but those days are long gone
no new equipment coming tells the story
shutting down terminals
rumours of being blended into tst which is a different union and lower paying company
some linehaul drivers are spoiled and out of touch with the real world
incompetent shop staff favored over skilled staff
company doesn't even own any of the properties it currently uses
Pros
good name for resume
Cons
management vs union enviroment