CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY

• Fair pay for job
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Ability to meet personal goals

CFIA is responsible for several regulatory mandates related to food safety and animal health. Great people, great employer. You will be very, very well-paid for what you will be asked to do 😊

Pros

Flexible work environment and hours

Cons

As a regulator sometimes overtime is required.

Good pay and easy work but not fulfilling

Been with the agency for over 4 years now in meat hygiene. Not alot of room for advancement. The job is easy. The pay is good due to having a union. Colleagues are tough to work with. Negative atmosphere. The establishment is tough to work with. Nothing changes. Upper management is non existent. They make 6 figures to do what? Your supervisor isn't much help either as they don't want to be there or to deal with more issues. Training takes forever. Always short staffed. Colleagues have beat the system by chronically calling in sick. Alot of employees you cant fire or get rid of due to diversity and culture. This is no more than a job to pay the bills. The biggest issue is culture. This is an easy job. Everyone wants in to do nothing all day or the bare minimum. You are either appointed a term or indeterminate position. My status has not changed in 4 years. They are their own agency. As such they do not follow the federal employment act. Basically they can do whatever they want. Job security is low right now due to implementation of new programs implemented in the next year. They can get rid of terms without any questions asked. Indeterminate they have to at least give offer a position even if it's on the other side of the country.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Management and culture

Good

good job no weekends enforce act and regulations deal with outbreaks good benefits as well 15 sick days a year as well as family days thanks for reading

lack of proper structure combined with phoenix pay nightmare

Worked as an EG 01 Primary Field Inspector. Overall good place to work over the summer (provided you are not unlucky enough to get Phoenix pay system errors), but would not personally choose to make a career out of it if there are other options.

Pros

vacation days payout

Cons

no health benefits at all

Fastpaced at times but rewarding and easy work

The Canadian Food Inspection agency was an incredibly entertaining and rewarding job with an excellent salary and agreeable work weeks and overtime wages. The work was relatively easy with a low learning curve, even though the work itself could sometimes be fast paced and even stressful.

Constantly changing agency priorities

The agency has been in a constant state of change, since the beginning. Which is fine, if you like that but it can also give some staff a feelng of instability and uncertainty. Hiring policies prevent most levels from being promoted into higher positions. You have to compete for those positions. People not already working for the agency are only offered term positions that are 12months or less. To become a permanent employee, you have to compete again, against other internal employees. The role as a food processing specialist inspector is a great job if you like constantly changing priorities and you don't mind having to completely drop what you have planned to respond to a food safety investigation. And if you're comfortable dealing with difficult or demanding people (public or industry representatives). Some days can be very busy and hectic other days more relaxed, where you can actually get some of your routine work done. There are flexible work arrangements that support a healthy work life balance. Rates of pay and benefits are reasonable. There are opportunities for training to support professional development, if you choose to take advantage. From my perspective, the culture is more collaborative than competitive. Overall, it's been an enjoyable working experience for me.

Pros

Training and professional development, salary and benefits

Cons

Constantly changing priorities, new hires are only for short terms (12 months or less)

Depends on the what part of the season you work for them

During my internship I shadowed Animal Health Inspectors and I got to see a lot of the perks of the job like the benefits and flexible hours, but I also saw a lot of the stress that came with the job. These people have to put up with a lot and just because the agency is unionized doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing. Being protected means that there is less motivation to try harder or to search for a challenge in the workplace. Essentially, there's never going to be a fire lit under your end unless you've just been ordered from Ottawa to do thousands of TB tests in the span of a couple weeks. If you work for the government, get ready to see a lot of people who work hard for their job and agency and get ready to see people who don't. These people who don't also will never get fired because that's the reality of working for a union. All in all, good luck.

great place to work

low - stress, focus on team building. great hours, above average pay. co-workers were easy to work with. Open communication between management and staff.

CFIA a workplace where you can make a real difference in the health and welfare of Canadians

CFIA promotes work and life balance, depending on the position, many people have the opportunity to work from home. Work hours are flexible and the opportunity to work compressed hours is a nice bonus.

Administrative Assistant CR-04

I loved my job as a CR-04 at a busy CFIA office. I loved assisting my supervisor, colleagues, and clients. My co-workers, supervisor, and colleagues were amazing and always so helpful and let me know that my work was appreciated. It was nice to work in a positive, laid-back environment. Unfortunately, due many lies and confusion, my contact was not renewed. First I was told that there wasn't enough work at the office to have a full time Administrative Assistant, and then I was told that were budgetary constraints, and that my salary was not included. This made no sense, and when I questioned and spoke up about it, I wasn't given a proper answer. I literally begged for my job and no one seemed to have any empathy or understand my situation. I later found out that about a month after my departure, that the budget was "magically" fixed and that a friend of RCI was being transferred from Calgary, to fill the position. I went to union and the union asked the RCI about it, and she placed the blame on me, saying that I didn't apply for a job pool that I couldn't find the job ad for.

Pros

Salary, Medical & Dental Benefits, Pension, Amazing Co-workers

Cons

Term contracts, job pools, conflict of interest

ok

I worked in many departments over my 8 plus years and the largest issue for me was lack of follow up with other departments. You would spend hours working on a project someone asked for but then they never followed up or asked for it???? Some departments are good but restricted to a lot of policy and procedures which makes executing a project difficult. I have good relationships with a lot of my former colleagues and managers. People are great.

Pros

salary and pension

Cons

policy restrictions

Great career advancement potential

Good working environment. Advancement potential for hard-working and diligent employees who seek to develop and improve oneself. Great benefits and pension.

Great Benefits

Great Benefits, Work Life Balance, Focus on Mental Heath, great people, great management team that assists you with any issues that you may have. Good Place to work

Great summer co-op.

Was able to gain experience in a variety of fields. Pay was fair enough. Offices were nice, and management was good. An allowance for lunches was provided if you were a certain distance from the office. Fleet cars were available for use.

stable place to work in

Worked with amazing people, like any other place, there are good and bad, but is a very stable environment to work in, you will learn a lot if you have the desire.

Pros

good benefits

Sonds better than it is

Job is good for experience. Lots of nice co-workers who are lifelong friends. But overall very little room for advancement, and after a few years ends up being a dead end job. A number of my former co-workers are not satisfied and are getting discouraged more and more each day.

Benefits

Cons

Boring, No Advancment Opportunites

productive environment

CFIA has a very important mission to ensure safe food for Canadians. I was involved in developing a risk model for the organization to assist in assigning inspectors to food establishments.

Pros

good work location

Cons

short term

See below

Conduct regulatory inspections at any food manufacturing/distribution/storage etc. Monitor recalls. Conduct sampling. Submitting samples to laboratories for evaluations, taking followup activity, address consumer inquiries complaints etc. Unionized but designated essential by Ottawa.

Pros

Friendly staff, good salary

Cons

Interesting work, Lousy office location

– 19 June 2017
Interesting but 75 % of activities unplanned and constantly shifting priorities, FYI

Intern

Best job I ever had but I was a intern for 6 months. Testing all foods before they go to groceries stores

Pros

pay and staff

Cons

Adaptation et environnement de travail

J'ai été vite adapté dans cet environnement de travail. Le CFIA est une maison parfaite de recherche ou rien ne manque pour accomplir les travaux de recherche quelque soit la complexité. Chaque jour dans cet environnement on a plaisir a travail si bien que le temps passe très vite et on ne se rend même pas compte. Ceci est du au fait que l'ambiance de travail est bien saine avec une complicité avec les collègues qui sont toujours prêts a t'apporter de l'aide face a des difficultés de compréhension d'un processus. Seulement ce qui est difficile dans ce milieu c,est l'obtention des opportunités pour des positions permanentes. Ce n'est pas facile de travailler dans un système de travail ou le lendemain est incertain pour l'emploi.

Pros

Beaucoup de nouvelle technologie en biologie moléculaire apprises

Cons

Pas d'augmentation de salaire, ni une garantie de job pour longtemps.

Challenging and good atmosphere to work in.

The company offered training on a regular basis. There wasn't always opportunity for advancement but in this position there were challenges every day.

Pros

Benefits ad pension package

Cons

Too much overtime

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement