CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY Employee Reviews

Administrative Assistant CR-04
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS8 June 2019
I loved my job as a CR-04 at a busy CFIA office. I loved assisting my supervisor, colleagues, and clients. My co-workers, supervisor, and colleagues were amazing and always so helpful and let me know that my work was appreciated. It was nice to work in a positive, laid-back environment.

Unfortunately, due many lies and confusion, my contact was not renewed. First I was told that there wasn't enough work at the office to have a full time Administrative Assistant, and then I was told that were budgetary constraints, and that my salary was not included. This made no sense, and when I questioned and spoke up about it, I wasn't given a proper answer. I literally begged for my job and no one seemed to have any empathy or understand my situation. I later found out that about a month after my departure, that the budget was "magically" fixed and that a friend of RCI was being transferred from Calgary, to fill the position. I went to union and the union asked the RCI about it, and she placed the blame on me, saying that I didn't apply for a job pool that I couldn't find the job ad for.
Pros
Salary, Medical & Dental Benefits, Pension, Amazing Co-workers
Cons
Term contracts, job pools, conflict of interest
Great Colleagues and Management
Assistant, Office of the Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON24 May 2019
An enjoyable government agency to work for. In my experience, everyone from my colleagues, to management to senior management were a pleasure to work with.
Many employees start on short term contracts.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary22 April 2019
Many employees start on short term contracts, which can be renewed. If you make it beyond those it's a great place to work. Overall, most people are kind and caring. I would recommend it if you're ok with initial job insecurity.
Supportive work environment
Executive correspondence editor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 March 2019
Although each editor in the department had a particular area of expertise, there was opportunity to work on other files and issues. Opportunity to acquire a broad, general knowledge of agricultural issues.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
Short-term contract
I have learned a great deal in a short period of time
IT Deskside Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ON12 March 2019
Warm and friendly staff, if you like a fast paced environment then you will enjoy the technology department here.

The majority folks, especially your peers you work with are all genuine and are willing to help when you need assistance.

Local staff in the office I work in are all fantastic, great people that would do whatever they could to make you feel welcome and part of the team.
Very good place to
ELECTRICIAN (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 February 2019
Education was a big part
Everyone was understanding
Great place to build a knowledge base.

Loved the culture, and everyone’s respect for one another.
Pros
Cons
1 year contract to start
Science and Technology Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 February 2019
I was unlucky to have been there on a term contract while the government was slashing jobs. For all those years, I could not get job security and was living from 6 month contract to 6 month contract working the exact same job.

I was lucky to have mangers who gave me responsibilities that allowed me to grow and furnish my CV despite that the rate of pay was not commensurate with the work I did.

Contrary to the stereotype about the federal government employees, people I worked with, worked very hard.

I dislike to non-felxibility of grades and levels. there were some jobs I wanted to apply to and were within my competencies but that were open to certain grades and levels:-(
Pros
Had the opportunity to work from home which was good for family life
Overall, great place
Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 December 2018
No complaints, perfect for a first internship or introduction in the software industry. Very simple and straight-forward. Nice people but upper-management needs some improving
Pros
Nice environment
Good place to do a Co-op
Virology Technician (Co-op Student) (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 November 2018
-Learn lots of new laboratory skills
-Able to get feedback from supervisors
-Good working environment
-Mon-Fri hours
-Feel like your research has a purpose
Outdoor job with great pay
Primary Inspector (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 October 2018
A lot of outdoor work during the summer travelling across my section of the province. Got to work with all departments of the CFIA and saw a lot of behind the scenes food importing and animal care. Fleet cars used for work. Organization events such as a volleyball tournament or BBQs through out the year
ok
Sole finance person (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON17 August 2018
I worked in many departments over my 8 plus years and the largest issue for me was lack of follow up with other departments. You would spend hours working on a project someone asked for but then they never followed up or asked for it????

Some departments are good but restricted to a lot of policy and procedures which makes executing a project difficult.

I have good relationships with a lot of my former colleagues and managers. People are great.
Pros
salary and pension
Cons
policy restrictions
The people are awesome, and it's a very relaxed culture
Junior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 August 2018
I absolutely loved my internship at CFIA. I was a junior analyst who worked as an Enterprise Architect student My boss would push us to get our work done on time, but never let us stress too much about it. Learned a lot about programming and business, and am very interested in coming back for another term.
Pros
Lots of learning, occasional fun events
Cons
Bad equipment
Great career advancement potential
FEEDS SPECIALIST INSPECTOR, CFIA (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB12 July 2018
Good working environment. Advancement potential for hard-working and diligent employees who seek to develop and improve oneself. Great benefits and pension.
Very good work environment, treat employees well
Laboratory Assistant - Full-Time Internship (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON25 June 2018
I am an intern at the Scarborough lab. I'm inexperienced with pretty much all things science - but I still get the opportunity to learn, to help out in the lab, and without judgement. I do a lot of health and safety tasks, and administrative tasks, and it's great experience in an office environment. The pay was really good (I've only worked minimum wage before) and my colleagues were awesome. The best part is being able to come in any time between 8-9am and you leave exactly 8 hours after that - this is great since I commute from about an hour away and I don't speed/feel stressed on my way.
Great Benefits
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 April 2018
Great Benefits, Work Life Balance, Focus on Mental Heath, great people, great management team that assists you with any issues that you may have. Good Place to work
CR04 Canadian Food Inspection Agency
CR04 Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kentville, NS14 March 2018
I enjoy my job as a CR04 for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.
I work in a diverse and respectful workplace with a great supervisor and co-workers. A typical day involves muliti tasking, working under pressure and meeting deadlines. The most enjoyable part of my job is budget work. I have learned many new financial and data entry systems. The hardest part of my job is there is no room for advancement.
Great summer co-op.
Senior Primary Inspector (Student) (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON20 February 2018
Was able to gain experience in a variety of fields. Pay was fair enough. Offices were nice, and management was good. An allowance for lunches was provided if you were a certain distance from the office. Fleet cars were available for use.
Love It
Inspector (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON15 February 2018
I can't say much but during my time I enjoyed it. they continued my learning at my pace. I hit all my deadlines so their was no issues with the amount of work. But their was enough work to keep 3 inspectors busy all day. I enjoyed the atmosphere. They made me feel comfortable everyday.
I have took a 5 year leave to pursue other avenues. Hoping for the best.
Pros
fun
Cons
no movement
Great people
Primary Inspector and Multi (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC30 January 2018
A great place to work and enjoy the job security that the government offers. It is not for those who are independent thinkers and thrive on efficiency.
stable place to work in
Meat Inspector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 January 2018
Worked with amazing people, like any other place, there are good and bad, but is a very stable environment to work in, you will learn a lot if you have the desire.
Pros
good benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY. Our community is ready to answer.