CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY Employee Reviews

Very good work environment, treat employees well
Laboratory Assistant - Full-Time Internship (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON25 June 2018
I am an intern at the Scarborough lab. I'm inexperienced with pretty much all things science - but I still get the opportunity to learn, to help out in the lab, and without judgement. I do a lot of health and safety tasks, and administrative tasks, and it's great experience in an office environment. The pay was really good (I've only worked minimum wage before) and my colleagues were awesome. The best part is being able to come in any time between 8-9am and you leave exactly 8 hours after that - this is great since I commute from about an hour away and I don't speed/feel stressed on my way.
Great Benefits
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 April 2018
Great Benefits, Work Life Balance, Focus on Mental Heath, great people, great management team that assists you with any issues that you may have. Good Place to work
CR04 Canadian Food Inspection Agency
CR04 Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kentville, NS14 March 2018
I enjoy my job as a CR04 for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.
I work in a diverse and respectful workplace with a great supervisor and co-workers. A typical day involves muliti tasking, working under pressure and meeting deadlines. The most enjoyable part of my job is budget work. I have learned many new financial and data entry systems. The hardest part of my job is there is no room for advancement.
Great summer co-op.
Senior Primary Inspector (Student) (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON20 February 2018
Was able to gain experience in a variety of fields. Pay was fair enough. Offices were nice, and management was good. An allowance for lunches was provided if you were a certain distance from the office. Fleet cars were available for use.
Love It
Inspector (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON15 February 2018
I can't say much but during my time I enjoyed it. they continued my learning at my pace. I hit all my deadlines so their was no issues with the amount of work. But their was enough work to keep 3 inspectors busy all day. I enjoyed the atmosphere. They made me feel comfortable everyday.
I have took a 5 year leave to pursue other avenues. Hoping for the best.
Pros
fun
Cons
no movement
Great people
Primary Inspector and Multi (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC30 January 2018
A great place to work and enjoy the job security that the government offers. It is not for those who are independent thinkers and thrive on efficiency.
stable place to work in
Meat Inspector (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 January 2018
Worked with amazing people, like any other place, there are good and bad, but is a very stable environment to work in, you will learn a lot if you have the desire.
Pros
good benefits
limited locations
Inspector (Former Employee) –  Amhurstburg23 January 2018
Locations for employment limited in Southwestern Ontario, Management not supportive, no work/home life balance, older employees very disgruntled at government, pay system a mess.
Post doc
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE10 October 2017
Very nice place to work under regulated rules you can learn a lot following rules and security system, used advance techniques and technology for experiments kind people and personnel as well
Sonds better than it is
Senior Primary Inspector (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 September 2017
Job is good for experience. Lots of nice co-workers who are lifelong friends. But overall very little room for advancement, and after a few years ends up being a dead end job.

A number of my former co-workers are not satisfied and are getting discouraged more and more each day.
Benefits
Cons
Boring, No Advancment Opportunites
productive environment
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 August 2017
CFIA has a very important mission to ensure safe food for Canadians. I was involved in developing a risk model for the organization to assist in assigning inspectors to food establishments.
Pros
good work location
Cons
short term
Evolving processes
Slaughter/ Animal programs, Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 June 2017
variety of work and locations, lateral moves or opportunity for moving up.
Structured management and organizational charts, diversity in the workforce
Pros
pension
Cons
Several weeks spent away on training
See below
Inspector/Food Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS18 June 2017
Conduct regulatory inspections at any food manufacturing/distribution/storage etc. Monitor recalls. Conduct sampling. Submitting samples to laboratories for evaluations, taking followup activity, address consumer inquiries complaints etc. Unionized but designated essential by Ottawa.
Pros
Friendly staff, good salary
Cons
Interesting work, Lousy office location

Comment – 19 June 2017

Interesting but 75 % of activities unplanned and constantly shifting priorities, FYI

very interesting things to deal with, great staff
Clerk 02 (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL2 March 2017
I enjoyed working with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency due to the great co-workers and the different departments I had to deal with. I leaned a lot of interesting things and was trained for different computer programs. I dealt with the plant lab, biologists, chemists and food inspection. I assisted with proofreading Standard Operating Procedure Manuals.
Pros
variety of jobs
Cons
being on a contract and not knowing if funding would be available for following year
Just started
01 Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON27 February 2017
I unfortunately don't have a review as I have just today started looking at this company but so far so good. Im hoping to find something part time in the evenings so that I can earn some extra money to take my grandson to Disneyland.
Excellent place to work!
Front Reception and Administrative Support (CR-04) (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE1 February 2017
Wonderful and cooperative staff. Training provided. Accessible supervisors and Managers. Interesting work. Great working hours. Ability to grow and learn from within the organization.
Pros
Wonderful staff
Cons
Uncertainty of work terms and staff placements.
Great for benefits and security
Administrative Assistant to Director (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 January 2017
Mostly in front of the computer to do data entry, translations, emails, schedule meetings and organise conferences. I learned how to work with different types of people.
work
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 December 2016
The work was boring as most government job but there was alot of politic involved and many other stuff that made the work at this place horrible and nightmare
Pros
well paid
Cons
Culture suck
Legally not permitted to provide
General (Current Employee) –  Not permitted27 June 2016
Public Service Employment Contracts do not legally permit the divulging of information which may be construed as a criticism of the employer or work environment.

Enough said?
Perfect Company
EDW/ETL Architect (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 May 2016
This is a perfect place to work with, and I have learned a lot, not just technology, but also communication, coordination, experience to handle different people and different job and different area of EDW, ETL, Data Mapping, Data Stage and IIS,and so on.

Different projects are also resources for learning, not just for job and work, but also life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2