CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY
Happiness score is 73 out of 100

CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY Employee Reviews

Canada113 reviews

inspectorgovernmentinspectionagencytermdatafoodsupervisor

Very professional, hardworking and wonderful people

I enjoyed my work very much, at the time my leaving the Sidney branch was going through a period of whether the station was going to close or not and through all the turmoil it left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. We lost some great employees who panicked and sought other jobs and the disorganization of the process was unbearable.

Pros

Hours were perfect

Cons

Watching people retire

Great Place to Work

Overall, the CFIA is a great place to work. The work-life balance is great. Managers and Supervisors are always willing to help their employees. Great place to retire with a good pension.

Insights into CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY

Areas for improvement
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Support from manager

Typical goverment

Its a typical government job with typical governemnt bull.. unfortunatley it is a culture that the government needs to change. One day hopefully it will be a better place to work

Interesting work with Interesting people

This is a great place to work if you enjoy science and want to explore the entire food chain from seeds, plants, to feed/fertizilier to animals to food. Every day can involve different issues across a variety of domains. It doesn't matter what your skillset is, there is a likely a job for you and contributing to the health and safety of canadians as well as the economy is a great feeling.

Great workplace, though slow moving in some aspects

Nice managers and coworkers, overall a good place to work but some processes took longer than expected. Coworkers are supportive in cases where you have questions.

Pros

Government benefits and work-life balance

Cons

Pay not as high as some private sector jobs

Best company to work for

This is by far the best company to work for. Fellow employees are fun and amazing to work with same with management too! No office gossip or politics that I have seen. Everyone is encouraging to each other to be the best at the job. No backstabbing make the job enjoyable to come to everyday. Typical "9-5" job makes this in my opinion one of "2022 best companies to work for" candidate!! I will love this place!!!

Exercise in Frustration

Im grateful I was only a term employee. I’ve never encountered so many people with a massive sense of entitlement. Most were lazy, unproductive, and incompetent. There were a few colleagues that were excellent however, they were the exception. Do not start your career in any level of government as you will learn nothing and become one of the many useless. Stick with the private sector.

Great people

Because I worked from home, I can't speak for the physical environment. With that being said, most of the people I worked with were great and the flexibility made work very accomodating. Pay may not be as high as a private business but the benefits make up for it.

Fun and challenging

Upper management a bit stand off ish at times. Co workers somewhat Cliquey. Good work conditions and salary pretty decent as well as somewhat flexible schedule

Great work-life balance workplace

CFIA is supportive of career change within the Agency or the Government. Great team of people in three different groups I worked with so far. Tons of learning opportunities and career advancement. Great workshops and seminars on different topics are available to all employees.

The people are what make the job what it is

Great people that support your team is everything. I have grown from a teen to a respectful person to my peers. I will always remember the laughs and great people before and after me. I am proud to serve the Government of Canada. I will persuade my child to pursue a career in the public service

Working with children

Had bad experience with management, my co workers were great only 1 out of three supervisors were actually good others were mean rude and inexperienced and one very power hungry, and if you try make a happier better work place prepared to have your supervisor make the job experience bad for you.

Pros

It's not a hard job when you get proper training

Cons

A very clicky place to work Not open to change Value the wrong employees

Great place to work as a co-op student

People are nice in CFIA that help each other. As a co-op student, I feel great working here and my supervisor is very patient and helped me learned many new skills.

Lack of structure

CFIA lacks structure and for a governmental agency,and I expected better. They rely too much on name recognition and therefore doesn't see the need to improve.

Pros

Under the federal govt so same perks as all agencies

Cons

Think they use that fact that they are a governmental agency to not try and improve their processes

Collaborative environment

Good, collaborative working environment with flexible timing and work-life balance. The work was repetitive and not particularly interesting or engaging.

Engaging work with a real purpose and impact on Canadians

While its is fast paced and a crisis can occur on a given moment, It is a healthy workplace, people collaborate with one another, colleagues are kind under pressure and always offering a hand to help, never a dull day, we are always learning something new. There is a lot of mandatory training and it is a well oiled machine in managing outbreaks or difficult situations.

Pros

Multiple locations across Canada, telework accepted, growth opportunities

Cons

Long hours week nights, weekends at times as nature of work requires it

Engaging

Important Regulatory WorkGood people to work withChallengingDetailed and Diverse workMeet lots of people in your day to field work and you get to interact with them

Good pay and easy work but not fulfilling

Been with the agency for over 4 years now in meat hygiene. Not alot of room for advancement. The job is easy. The pay is good due to having a union. Colleagues are tough to work with. Negative atmosphere. The establishment is tough to work with. Nothing changes. Upper management is non existent. They make 6 figures to do what? Your supervisor isn't much help either as they don't want to be there or to deal with more issues. Training takes forever. Always short staffed. Colleagues have beat the system by chronically calling in sick. Alot of employees you cant fire or get rid of due to diversity and culture. This is no more than a job to pay the bills. The biggest issue is culture. This is an easy job. Everyone wants in to do nothing all day or the bare minimum. You are either appointed a term or indeterminate position. My status has not changed in 4 years. They are their own agency. As such they do not follow the federal employment act. Basically they can do whatever they want. Job security is low right now due to implementation of new programs implemented in the next year. They can get rid of terms without any questions asked. Indeterminate they have to at least give offer a position even if it's on the other side of the country.

Pros

Pay and benefits

Cons

Management and culture

CFIA is responsible for several regulatory mandates related to food safety and animal health. Great people, great employer. You will be very, very well-paid for what you will be asked to do 😊

Pros

Flexible work environment and hours

Cons

As a regulator sometimes overtime is required.

Experience

Not employee but i will more than happy to be part of it since I've been working for a couple of years in this industry.Will be able to explore and learn whatever it takes

Pros

Control sanitation and regulation is a plus

Cons

Equality

Productive and alot to learn

Respectful, Kind and Generous CFIA. Internal interview process is slow. a lot to learn new, new growth opportunities. Must be keen to learn and grow. Everyone motivates alot.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CANADIAN FOOD INSPECTION AGENCY. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement