Canadian Coast Guard Employee Reviews

Confidential
Deckhand/Leading Seaman/Rescue Specialist (Current Employee) –  Confidential16 July 2018
A typical day at work Confidential.
What I learn Confidential.
Management Confidential.
Workplace culture Confidential.
The hardest part of the job Confidential.
The most enjoyable part of the job Confidential.
Pros
Confidential
Cons
Confidential
Busy Workplace With Great Benefits
Electronics Technologist - EL-05 (Current Employee) –  Canada24 July 2018
Diverse work duties to keep the day-to-day interesting. Great benefits, decent salary. Expected to work OT quite often. Frequent travel at times throughout the year.
Government job
Chief Cook's, Cook/Lead Steward's and the Steward (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL8 March 2018
Eight years, I should have left long before that. As government jobs goes it is a government job. Management interference made for a poisoned work atmosphere. Low end pay.
Pros
work security
Cons
Government job, cold day in heck before I consider going back there. Low end pay
Fun place to work
Deckhand & Quarter Master (Former Employee) –  Sarnia, ON6 February 2018
The Canadian coast guard is a great career. They invest in their employees and provide lots of training. You get to travel and have plenty of neat experience's. The only down fall is its not that great for the family life with little one's. you spend a lot of time away from home.
Pros
Great pay and they take care of their employee's
Cons
you spend a lot of time away from home
Excellent Employer and Place To Work.
Commanding Officer; Chief Officer (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS23 March 2018
Excellent place to work with great benefits package; good overall job security; diverse, transparent work culture; excellent training department with lots of opportunity for career advancement.
Steward (Former Employee) –  st.john's, nl1 February 2018
Love my job as a steward onboard ccg, however waiting 3 months in between my last trip is a hard way to make a living with a wife and family. Moneywise the pay should be much more than the base salary.
Pros
Benefits and retirement
Cons
low salary
all work no pay
cook/deckhand (Current Employee) –  B.C. coast21 September 2017
I don't recommend working for this employer. You spend half your life out of town and there is no possessive acknowledgement for a job well done but there are plenty of superiors to let you know if the job is not being done to their standards. Very little training at first but if you stay a long time or make it to full time training is available.
Pros
they feed you
Cons
away from home a lot
Only do this job for 6 years
MCTSO (Current Employee) –  NATIONAL3 August 2017
The "golden handcuffs" is what working for the federal government is like. The money can be very good, with a lot of option for working overtime and making a lot more money. HOWEVER, management sucks, workplace culture sucks, no room for advancement, 12 hour shifts suck, hardest part of the job is dealing with people who don't do their job, sleep or on the internet all the time instead of doing their job. No training, no room for advancement, lots of money .... money doesn't buy happiness
Enjoyable but tough.
Steward (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL30 December 2017
I spent 28 days onboard a midsized icebreaker. The work was very demanding, but enjoyable. Though it was loud and cramped with regards to living quarters
great adventure
Public Safety Diver (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC21 November 2017
all types of work ranging shore based to going to sea. Management is not good. I haven't been paid properly in 2 years. I get to do what I love and great people at work.
Exciting and varied work
Electronics Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC20 May 2017
As an electronics co-op student working with the Canadian Coast Guard I was given an immense variety of electronics and telecommunications work.

I think the greatest aspect of the job was the fact that each and every day was different; I could be wiring in a transceiver for a RHIB (rigid hull inflatable boat) or flying out to fix an issue with one of the many coastal repeater sites. Despite the fact that I was still a student I was given a decent amount of autonomy and participated in a array of interesting projects.
Fantastic job
Rescue Specialist/Deckhand (Former Employee) –  Canada19 June 2017
I loved my time with the Coast Guard. I only left so I could start a family and be there with my family all the time. Like any organization, there are issues that need addressing. Some of the leadership is sub par and could use more training, and some of the equipment was outdated for the task it was intended.
Satisfying, great team work, high intensity, exciting and always growing
Leading Seaman / Rescue Specialist (Former Employee) –  French Creek, BC15 March 2017
A typical day at work would be maintenance of equipment, crew gathering to prep for daily routines, training routines either out on the ocean or in station, review of any calls for the night before. respond to any calls through out the day. turn to pagers after 4pm till returning to station at 8am the next morning.
Pros
Continual learning and always work to be done
Cons
dangerous, and inconsistent work offers for casuals
Aweful place to work at
Navigation Officer Apprentice (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL15 May 2017
The Canadian Coast Guard is not a great place to work at. The place is plagued with systemic racism & sexism.
They pay system is broken and you never get paid.
Get ready for long weeks away from home, with a bunch of racist, sub-intelligent studs who think they are the best.
Avoid!!
The best job I ever had.
Depot Clerk (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC24 February 2014
I worked in accounts payable, accounts receiveable, reception, supply and finally as office clerk for the offices of the Construction & Maintenance Supervisor and the Supervisor of Aids to Navigation in the 11 years I worked for the Coast Guard.

I did it all in this clerical position and would have still been there had I not decided to leave to raise my family. Back in the day there was no part time or job sharing and my choice was to either come back to work full-time after the birth of my son and put him into full time day care or to quit. I chose to quit.
Pros
Everything. It was a great job.
Cons
I had to quit to have children as there was no part time or job sharing in 1988.
Great work environment/co-workers.
Administrative Support Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS7 January 2015
I only worked with the Canadian Cost Guard for 3-4 months but it was fairly enjoyable. The hours were great (8-4 Mon-Fri) and my co-workers with very laid back and were hard workers. I was doing a lot of filing in this job so it was not the most exciting job by all means. a lot of repetitiveness was involved. However, the pay was great and it was fairly easy, stress-free work.
Pros
Good hours, great pay, good co-wrokers.
Cons
Repetitive work. Aside for that no other cons.
Unique workplace
Lighthouse Keeper (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC15 January 2015
You give weather reports every three hours. Maintain the station and communicate with helicopters as well as others to ensure safe travels. You live on station in, for the most part, isolation with one other keeper. I learned a lot about myself, as well as weather, boats, and inter specific communication. The hardest part of the job is managing to utilize your free time and dealing with the isolation. The most enjoyable part of the job is the silence and tranquility, and the ability to work at your own pace (for the most part).
Pros
Nature, tranquility
Cons
Long Hours, Isolation
Electronics Officer (Former Employee) –  St. John's, Southside Base6 July 2015
Always enjoyed my job.....great co-workers......experienced a lot of leading technology.....had great training within the organization.....Fall arrest training, High Angle Rescue training, Confined Space Entry and Rescue training, Forklift training, Small watercraft training......First Aid/CPR, and all necessary technical training of all electronic equipment present on the vessels.....I decided to make a change in my career
Pros
good benefits
Cons
no cons
good place to work but many diadvantages as well
Ships Officer (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL21 August 2015
the Canadian coast guard has the potential to be a great career move for anyone with a seagoing background and can occasionally be a great experience for seaman and officers alike but the politics and lack of accountability within the organization as well as the present salaries are frustrating at best
Pros
good experience for seafarers
Cons
long hours, ever increasing workloads, inneficient salaries
13-14 hour work days and on call for 28 days.
Logistics Officer/ Storekeeper/clerk (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS25 September 2016
Issuance of all requirements for all departments.
Posting of all issues and reorder as required.
Keeping financial statements for department.
Cataloguing any new materiel and data input.
As department handle all problems and safety concerns
and answer direct to Captain.
Pros
Uniforms, room and board
Cons
At sea for 28 days regardless of weather.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Coast Guard. Our community is ready to answer.