Canadian Coast Guard

Canadian Coast Guard Employee Reviews

I was hired directly from Sea Island Coast Guard Station - They have a unique base as it is the only one with Rescue Divers. The station is primarily a SAR station. The experinece working there was fantastic overall. Excellent training, diverse work expeience and you wear a lot of hats - Rescue Specilist (Medic, Fire-fighter, RHIT Coxwain) and Rescue Diver on surface supply. We repaired bouys, repositioned them, replaced them, navigational aids, re-painted fixed nav aids, re-water and re-fuel light houses. I reponded to multiple calls with fires where we were the only ones to be there, the difference in the Coast Guard is you do it all, medic, firefighter, rescue with no back up except your crew, you have to problem solve on the spot. You will be running cranes, forklifts, and cutting the grass. You will be reponsible for cleaning the station and the hovercraft that we operate out of. But going for a sunset dive and getting out of the water with someone cooking dinner on a outdoor bbq and handing out a gouremet hamburger is like nothing else. Or going on patrol and stopping at White Rock or Cresent beach for ice cream. There are perks to the job. It's high adrenaline, action packed and that base did an average of 300 + calls per year. We would have cfew dinners and waffle breakfasts, it was a very cohesive work site like none other I have worked in. You will operate fast inflatable rescue boats as part of your duties.
Pros
Training as a Rescue Diver and Rescue Specialist -
Cons
Often takes 1 year to become full time
I found the supervisor weak as a leader in my department towards myself as a newbie. Lots of support from other departments and heads. My supervisor was not well liked by others and was getting close to a retirement package and was probably for the best for future recruitment. A new shift in energy as well as positive attitudes need to change the future and culture as a whole.
Pros
Travel to new places, as well conversation
Cons
12 on 12 off, i would suggest a break day in between or 2 to3 shorter shifts.
great positive people to work with. Great atmosphere Hardest part is to remain focus with a million things going on around you in the office. Overall great atmosphere. No complaints
Pros
Home baked goodies
Cons
Micro managing
The job has it's perks, set your own menu, manage your own time. However head office is always chaos, and the crews can be very cliquish. Long days 12 hrs 28 days straight in confined area. Scenery changes which is nice.
12 hours shifts on rotation. Chiefs are good. The hardes part of the job is being away from home. Enjoy the team atmosphere. maintains engine room machinery, assists watch-keeping engineer in maintaining all auxiliary machinery and equipment and in the handling of supplies. Participates in rescue and firefighting and damage control drills, exercises and operations. Assists engineers and works independently during maintenance and opening up of main and auxiliary machinery or repair. Carries out routine maintenance and repair to Engine Room machinery and equipment including electrical equipment and circuitry under the direction of my Senior Engineer. Stands watch in the machinery spaces during absences of the Watchkeeping Engineer.
I had a great work term at the Canadian Coast Guard in their civil engineering department. As a junior civil engineering student at the time, I was not very skilled. CCG insured that I had a rich experience with them while challenging me in a way to further develope my engineering skills.
Great schedule for sea environment, 28 days on, 28 days off. Different platforms are available such as towing vessels, science, bouy tending, search and rescue. Work is different pretty much every day. Can be difficult environment due to weather. Shift work, most of it is 12h on, 12h off. Pay check doesn't meet the standards of the industry. Great benefit and pension.
Pros
6 months work per years paid all year long.
Cons
Being far from your loved one.
love the different aspects to the job. Very challenging. They encourage work/life balance. Great management. They provide a large range of training and development options.
Read summary, not much good from this outfit.They still owe me money,your going into black hole devoid of new knowledge with the antique equipment your expected to repair and no budget or parts to do so.
Management can be disorganized, as people are often switching roles and moving around in the organization. Suggestions for improvement were almost always ignored by upper-management. Some of the younger supervisors have had little to no leadership training, which has resulted in excessive micro-management and negative feedback. That being said, I have gotten lucky with a few supervisors that would listen to my suggestions, give me additional responsibility when I asked, and provide helpful constructive and positive feedback. In terms of the actual job, I enjoyed my daily responsibilities. Although SAR calls can be stressful and tiring, I also found them exciting and rewarding. I felt well-trained for my position, and a large emphasis was placed on continuous training. The rest of your crew can really make or break your experience, but most of the people I worked and lived with were great. As long as you have patience and a positive attitude, this job can be very enjoyable. Overall I enjoyed my time with the CCG.
great group of people to work with. Made many friends along the way.sure wish I could get back to work with them soon. love the hands on experience and the people I worked with were like a family away from home made you feel wecome
Poor management issues and the unreliable Phoenix payroll system help makes this an undesirable place to work. Very low pay for a marine based industry.
The government is the place to be for salary, leave benefits, dental and medical benefits and retirement plan. A lot of the work may be mind numbing, but it all efforts are geared toward helping Canadians and protecting our waters.
I wouldn't recommend this job to any professional mariner. Perhaps a entry level position would work best if you have no experience . Poor pay,lots people with nothing better to do than waste taxpayers dollars.
Things have improved greatly since I worked there before 1980. There is no typical day at work because there are many options, managers and work places. The most enjoyable part of the job is serving the public marine interests. I can't think of the hardest part of the job. There is no error.
In my time with the CCG I was employed as a student. This was an excellent opportunity to work in a field directly related to my field and make great contacts. I would love to work for them again in the future.
They are great employers, even though there can be problems between crew members, the higher ups are very efficient in ensuring that conflicts are resolved quickly
Absolutely they need to Recruit Coordinators that hire Health Officers on Contracts, that do not have ties to Nursing Colleagues in Northern Communities- Preferential Contract Hirings for the Health Officers on Board the CCGS Ships are given to Nursing Friends, year after year- Applications are supposed to be Canada Wide Chosen, and not based on any personal decision made by Health Coordinator-
Pros
Great Experience
Cons
Fun and very rewarding. Made lots of friends and learned things I would never have dreamed of. Great people, good money and great benefits. Travel to places I wouldn't dream of until it became my job.
It is considered essential service part of the government so it is difficult to get days off so you have to schedule holidays months in advance to get it approved as it has to go through the system
I got to meet lots of different people from all over the country and people from all over the world while working on an Arctic Class Ice Breaker in the Arctic for 6 years of my career. I have many fond memories of my time at sea over my 34 year career and think of the many people I worked with often.