Canadian Coast Guard

Canadian Coast Guard Employee Reviews

Canada61 reviews
Ok crew , management a bit chaotic
The job has it's perks, set your own menu, manage your own time. However head office is always chaos, and the crews can be very cliquish. Long days 12 hrs 28 days straight in confined area. Scenery changes which is nice.
12 hours shifts on rotation. Chiefs are good. The hardes part of the job is being away from home. Enjoy the team atmosphere. maintains engine room machinery, assists watch-keeping engineer in maintaining all auxiliary machinery and equipment and in the handling of supplies. Participates in rescue and firefighting and damage control drills, exercises and operations. Assists engineers and works independently during maintenance and opening up of main and auxiliary machinery or repair. Carries out routine maintenance and repair to Engine Room machinery and equipment including electrical equipment and circuitry under the direction of my Senior Engineer. Stands watch in the machinery spaces during absences of the Watchkeeping Engineer.
Great work term
I had a great work term at the Canadian Coast Guard in their civil engineering department. As a junior civil engineering student at the time, I was not very skilled. CCG insured that I had a rich experience with them while challenging me in a way to further develope my engineering skills.
Good place to start a sea going career.
Great schedule for sea environment, 28 days on, 28 days off.

Different platforms are available such as towing vessels, science, bouy tending, search and rescue.

Work is different pretty much every day.

Can be difficult environment due to weather.

Shift work, most of it is 12h on, 12h off.

Pay check doesn't meet the standards of the industry.

Great benefit and pension.
Pros
6 months work per years paid all year long.
Cons
Being far from your loved one.
great plce to work
love the different aspects to the job. Very challenging. They encourage work/life balance. Great management. They provide a large range of training and development options.
If you enjoy being lied too,treated terribly and work with stoners, this is the job for you!
Read summary, not much good from this outfit.They still owe me money,your going into black hole devoid of new knowledge with the antique equipment your expected to repair and no budget or parts to do so.
Rewarding work, management can be frustrating at times
Management can be disorganized, as people are often switching roles and moving around in the organization. Suggestions for improvement were almost always ignored by upper-management. Some of the younger supervisors have had little to no leadership training, which has resulted in excessive micro-management and negative feedback. That being said, I have gotten lucky with a few supervisors that would listen to my suggestions, give me additional responsibility when I asked, and provide helpful constructive and positive feedback.

In terms of the actual job, I enjoyed my daily responsibilities. Although SAR calls can be stressful and tiring, I also found them exciting and rewarding. I felt well-trained for my position, and a large emphasis was placed on continuous training. The rest of your crew can really make or break your experience, but most of the people I worked and lived with were great. As long as you have patience and a positive attitude, this job can be very enjoyable. Overall I enjoyed my time with the CCG.
great group of people to work with made many friends along the way
great group of people to work with. Made many friends along the way.sure wish I could get back to work with them soon. love the hands on experience and the people I worked with were like a family away from home made you feel wecome
Wouldn't reccomend
Poor management issues and the unreliable Phoenix payroll system help makes this an undesirable place to work. Very low pay for a marine based industry.
Top salary and benefits
The government is the place to be for salary, leave benefits, dental and medical benefits and retirement plan.

A lot of the work may be mind numbing, but it all efforts are geared toward helping Canadians and protecting our waters.
Classic government BS with empire building attitudes in HR
I wouldn't recommend this job to any professional mariner.
Perhaps a entry level position would work best if you have no experience .

Poor pay,lots people with nothing better to do than waste taxpayers dollars.
Rewarding work, little face to face appreciation except in Search and Rescue.
Things have improved greatly since I worked there before 1980. There is no typical day at work because there are many options, managers and work places. The most enjoyable part of the job is serving the public marine interests. I can't think of the hardest part of the job.

There is no error.
Excellent for a student looking to gain skills in their field
In my time with the CCG I was employed as a student. This was an excellent opportunity to work in a field directly related to my field and make great contacts. I would love to work for them again in the future.
Excellent place to work
They are great employers, even though there can be problems between crew members, the higher ups are very efficient in ensuring that conflicts are resolved quickly
Management on the Health Level
Absolutely they need to Recruit Coordinators that hire Health Officers on Contracts, that do not have ties to Nursing Colleagues in Northern Communities- Preferential Contract Hirings for the Health Officers on Board the CCGS Ships are given to Nursing Friends, year after year- Applications are supposed to be Canada Wide Chosen, and not based on any personal decision made by Health Coordinator-
Pros
Great Experience
Fun Workplace
Fun and very rewarding. Made lots of friends and learned things I would never have dreamed of. Great people, good money and great benefits. Travel to places I wouldn't dream of until it became my job.
Long Hours
It is considered essential service part of the government so it is difficult to get days off so you have to schedule holidays months in advance to get it approved as it has to go through the system
I spent a happy 34 year career working for the Coast Guard
I got to meet lots of different people from all over the country and people from all over the world while working on an Arctic Class Ice Breaker in the Arctic for 6 years of my career. I have many fond memories of my time at sea over my 34 year career and think of the many people I worked with often.
Toxic workplace with lots of bullys.
The job itself is good, 4 weeks away and 4 weeks home, all equal time, the job security is great, you know you have a job to go back to every shift. But boy the toxic workplace is crazy, enough to ruin your mental health, you go away to sea for 28 days and it seems like alot of people including supervisors would rather see you fail then succeed, unless you want to play the part and bully everyone else. Terrible place to work because of the toxicity and extremely low pay.
Pros
Job security, room for advancment, lots of training.
Cons
Toxic workplace, low salary, living away from home with no communication at all on arctic going vessels.
Low salary
Higher wages are need. Work is good but under payed to Marine industry. Benefits are good but could still be better. Advancements are possible if you are interested in move up in your job.
Pros
Jobs and work security and advancement is possible if interested
Cons
Salary is to low
Learn skills, get seatime, move on!
See the coast, learn so many skills. Get seatime. Live an exciting career and enjoy the 6 months paid off every year!
Pros
6 months paid off a year
Cons
Limited cell service and internet access.