Canadian Cancer Society Employee Review

View all Canadian Cancer Society reviews

working at the Canadian Cancer Society to help people in need
Fundraising Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pembroke, Ontario25 September 2013
A typical work day for me is to answer the phone, look after customers that come into the office and direct them in the right direction and making sure the mail is looked after, incoming and outgoing. My job is on the administration side of fundraising. I make sure that we have volunteers for the upcoming events, all material is delivered, work closely with our Fundraising Co-ordinator, make sure all receipting is done and any other tasks that he might give to me. I work very closely with our volunteers directing them in the right direction and helping them when needed. If our office co-ordinator is away I help out there with any of her tasks such as transportation program, directly calls etc...make sure all tasks are done efficiently and in a timely manner.

At the present time I work 3 days a week, I have learnt a lot about fundraising, recruiting volunteers, the good in people and what people expect. I am a person who loves working with people and I like to say I get along with others very well, I feel as though if we work together we have to get along. I am very much that not everyone does things or thinks like I do but I will appreciate other peoples opinions and learn by that. I have learnt that we all do things different but learn by our mistakes.

We have just had a change in our management therefore we are all still on a learning curve.

I think the hardest part of my job is fundraising and always asking people for money, my job involves doing a lot of phone calls and asks for donations, volunteering, and organizing events. People only have so much money
  more... and I am finding it harder and harder to ask people as it is always the same people that want to help out or give donations. Also to see children that are diagnosed with cancer and there is nothing I can do for them. I take if very personal when people are sick.

As I said before I love working with the public and enjoy meeting new people, therefore I have to say that is what I love about my job. I enjoy working on the computer and doing data. I truly enjoy working in the administration side of my job. I am a survivor myself therefore I love to help others out and I know what they are going through
Pros
Meet lots of very nice people and get to help lots of people
Cons
lots of nights and weekend work due to events

Other Canadian Cancer Society Employee Reviews

productive work environment with foosball table
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON12 April 2018
A typical day at work consists of knocking on doors and meeting new people, with the intentions to possibly get an on-going donor for the Canadian Cancer Society.
productive and fun work place as it had fooseballs
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON6 April 2018
in this job, i learned how to interact with people and be more convincing. i have learned to handle rejection from this job and be more confident yet after that. the hardest part was to go door-to-door and the most enjoyable part was that i get to travel different places and meet new people every minute of the work.