Canadian Brewhouse Employee Reviews

Fun place to work for the time being
Server (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 September 2018
I love working at the Brewhouse, the staff is fun and the managers are great. The tips are really good and management lets you work as little or as hard as you want. It is always busy. Tons of incentives for you to work harder. Staff discounts are phenomenal.
Work/life balance can be sacrificed, but this is common in most restaurant industry jobs. Company is run by men and there seems to be less opportunity for advancement (to management) for women. Tip out is high at 6% with minimal support from the support staff.
Overall Brewhouse is a great place to work for the time being or a couple days a week. Working full time is exhausting and is straining on mental health.
Pros
Fun environment, good tips, very busy
Cons
Night shifts, dealing with drunk people, no women leadership
Poor Work Culture and Upper Management
SERVER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 September 2018
The one good thing about working at the Brewhouse is you generally make good money. The more negative aspects involve poor management at most of the locations that include poor communication and favouritism. The work environment can be negative. The Brewhouse does many things against Alberta Labour Laws and being a big corporation it is surprising that they are still getting away with most of it. The company has a good base behind it and moto but it is to bad that they do not follow it. I believe that the company grew to fast and therefore have not been able to keep up with the image that they first wanted to portray. I would not recommend working for this company.
Pros
Good money and tips
Cons
Long hours, no brakes, cut pay, lack of support
Great place to learn line positions but not for experienced people
Cook (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB5 January 2019
Pay is bad fixed tip out minimum wage very rare to get a raise dirty glasses and dishes are always dirty. Lots of pressure and always adding on duties no cups for drinks in a hot kitchen when a rush is going on feel like blacking out every day...the staff are awsome night guys can be fun but serious at the same time once u get to know them if your looking for minimum wage and no life this is the place to be
Pros
Free meel after getting screwed
Cons
Long hard days on little to no pay
Horrid Managment
Hostess, Food Runner, Expo, and Server (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB23 November 2018
People are great once you settle in, and after you get past the unfriendliness of most girls who work there. They are very tight-knit and often did not make an effort to make new people feel welcome. I've worked there for almost three years. Watched the building manager become regional and become quite overbearing and micromanaging everything anyone did after being promoted. Had to serve one of my coworkers who brought some of her friends in, one of them did not have her ID on her, so I let her know that I could not server he alcohol. Made sure to let manager on shift know. Turns out, the shots that MY OWN COWORKER was getting she was sneaking to her friend. Even though she knew the consequences had her fiend gotten caught without her ID, she still put my job and Proserve at risk. Told the manager about it and he OPENLY TOLD ME had the coworker not been his friend she would have been fired.
Too many friendships within management that get them favors. Not professional in my eyes.
Fort McMurray Brewhouse and other Brewhouse's seem to have this issue.
Pros
Good Discounts, and few good people
Cons
favoritism among staff
Server (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK20 November 2018
This is a great place to work. Most managers are nice, but it is a busy environment so sometimes they take things out on you. The tip out is brutal though, 6%.... I really enjoyed my time there, but managers picking on staff and making them work 10+ hours without overtime was a hard no for me. You never knew when you were going to get off as it depend on the customers.
Pros
Good tips, busy atmosphere, keep you on your feet, never bored, staff discounts
Cons
Rude management, tip out, never guaranteed hours, didn't know when you would get off
not the best place to work
Regional Chef in Training (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 November 2018
They need a new executive chef who cares about the growth of their chefs and regional chefs and to not put everything on people who are new to this country, who dont even the know or follow Alberta safety and health laws or core values of the company to train regional chefs it turned out to be a joke, and one of the dirtiest places I've ever worked. I had my family come and eat at one of the locations and cooked the food my self because of how the BOH was ran.
Challenging and stressful
NA (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 January 2019
They are not a equal opportunity employer. It is like high school, you need to fit in or you will be treated poorly. Management style is a do as I say not as I do. They talk a good game but actions speak louder than words, very little follow through. HR is untrained, unprofessional, lack of confidentiality. Management will take all credit for your job well done.
Pros
Free food, discount
Cons
Lack of confidentiality and respect, sexism
Nice people, bad place
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 November 2018
Working here starts off great, but after a couple weeks in, you are responsible for paying for mistakes that are out of your control. Not being paid the minimum 3 hours when sent home early. Automatically getting 15 minutes of wage deducted from each shift, for the breaks you are barely allowed to take. Just some of the things to expect while working here.
Pros
Discounts
Exausting and Stressful
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB8 July 2018
Working in the kitchen as a line cook you work 8-12 hours. There is no forgiveness from FOH staff if you are unable to make them something.
Asking for a raise while being a good employee will get you 50 cents if you're lucky. The company treats it's staff like they are disposable and like we deserve no life outside of the kitchen.
Awful is a understatement
Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton19 February 2019
If 0 stars were a thing I’d rate it just that. This place is a joke and so is the management. I could write lists about how terrible it is and what happens behind closed doors but I wouldn’t ever wanna give them that much effort.
Pros
Nothing lol
Cons
The entire place
Fun and care
Manager (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK19 October 2018
One of the best place to work they really care about their workers. Lots of opportunities to grow. Best in all ways . Management is great. They give everyone chance to prove themself.
Management was sub par. Pay was menial, and you were forced to pay for walk outs.
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John14 May 2018
The management hardly cared if you had an issue or a complaint with how things were being run. They cared little for anybody but themselves, which is why they only have 2 members of the original hiring staff a year after they opened. Management included. If someone walked out on a bill, it wouldn't matter if it was a $3 bill, or a $300 bill. You were expected to pay for every cent on that receipt. All Front of House Staff had to tip out, slow days you would actually have to pay out of pocket if you didn't make good enough tips.
Pros
They let you have a paycheque. They also let you go home.
Cons
Pay was pitiful, management disrespectful, management's ability to resolve problems (such as fights) = 0
A Company That Doesn't Care About You
Server (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB18 October 2018
The Canadian Brewhouse does not care about the little guys aka you. I loved my brewhouse and the people in it but head office was enough for me. they will write you up no questions asked even if nothing happened, they accuse you of things and make situations into giant ordeals. They don't care about you and you are absolutely expendable to them. I would never work for them again.
Pros
good people
Cons
you are expendable
productive and fun
Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 September 2018
its nice to work in this company its has a long hour shift and having a good relation to your conworkers.its a very nice experince to work in tvis company
Pros
free lunch
All the opportunities
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB18 August 2018
They promote from within if you show your worth. Lots of incentives to do better. Ongoing training. Certificates for top servers and top bartenders. Free (ish) food. Scholarships to students. Wicked atmosphere.
Pros
Incentives/ promotions/ scholarships/ tips
amazing
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC13 August 2018
Wonderful staff and management. Overall my favorite workplace yet. Made you really want to strive for success and treat each other like family. recommend to anyone.
The staff are fun to work with
Cook/Prep (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC17 January 2019
I think this is a fun place to work. Most of the staff have a dark sense of humour, so if you like that sort of thing you'll probably enjoy it. There's a free meal on busy days and the discount on beer is pretty good.
Pros
staff meal
Cons
usual kitchen stressers (tight time goals)
A very demanding place to work.
Line Cooker (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB13 January 2019
A lot of pressure is put on employees, and you are required to work for long periods of time. They will show you how to do stuff and co-workers are the best part of it.
Great place to work fun and lively
Porter (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB12 February 2019
Organization at the location I was at was a little wonky but overall it was good. Always has stuff going on the people are great wish I could have worked there longer.
Very Productive and fun workplace.
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 October 2018
Everyone at the Canadian Brewhouse is very hands on and loves to help one another if need be. Very friendly and good customer service. They treat their customers like family, they always make sure the customer have nice and enjoyable experience when they are in to eat.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Brewhouse. Our community is ready to answer.