Canadian Brewhouse Employee Reviews

Exausting and Stressful
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, AB8 July 2018
Working in the kitchen as a line cook you work 8-12 hours. There is no forgiveness from FOH staff if you are unable to make them something.
Asking for a raise while being a good employee will get you 50 cents if you're lucky. The company treats it's staff like they are disposable and like we deserve no life outside of the kitchen.
The best family you could ask for
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 June 2018
Name says it all. To put it as simply as possible, the owner of this company will meet you one day, and remember you 2 years later. Name and everything.
Pros
Incentives
Cons
Obnoxious Customers on occasion.
worst place i ever worked
Regional Chef (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB23 May 2018
hired me as a management position, used me to train and run food truck for 6 months, tried to say they didnt hire me for said position even though HR sent me a hire package, wrongful termination, no notice, long legal battle currently in lawsuit
Pros
Cons
terrible enviroment
Management was sub par. Pay was menial, and you were forced to pay for walk outs.
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John14 May 2018
The management hardly cared if you had an issue or a complaint with how things were being run. They cared little for anybody but themselves, which is why they only have 2 members of the original hiring staff a year after they opened. Management included. If someone walked out on a bill, it wouldn't matter if it was a $3 bill, or a $300 bill. You were expected to pay for every cent on that receipt. All Front of House Staff had to tip out, slow days you would actually have to pay out of pocket if you didn't make good enough tips.
Pros
They let you have a paycheque. They also let you go home.
Cons
Pay was pitiful, management disrespectful, management's ability to resolve problems (such as fights) = 0
Self absorbed
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 April 2018
Everyone above general managers is selfish , They look out for themselves and how they can benifit , The SM’s and AGM’s are often great but can’t cause the changes needed , The bartenders and servers and porters don’t have a voice and even when we do our reviews nothing ever changes it’s the same always , So unless you know somebody and are best friends with the company higherups you won’t go far with this company , lots of fun everyday staff , its is on the way down as they build more and more
Pros
Servers and coworkers
Cons
GMs regionals, selfishness, no humane traits
Creative and enjoyable place to work
Line cook/ Prep cook (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB6 February 2018
- Increased my cooking skills
-Excellent management who made us feel important
- Preparation could take 8 hours sometimes
- The community surrounding the team
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Rushed orders
Not great,
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC10 January 2018
Low pay, told if we didn't like it here that we could be replaced and to not let the door hit us on the way out. The cooks lost their free meals and in just a year and a half of being open almost all the management is different. One day a customer walked out without paying and the response was for the waitress to either accept a mark against her or pay for his meal.
Pros
The family was fantastic before everyone quit at the same time.
Cons
Treated like we could be replaced.
Productive and fun workplace
Food Preparation (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB26 December 2017
I learned how to manage my time to finished my tasks everyday. For one year im the one who did all the vegies preparations then after a year im the one who did all kinds of sauces
Pros
Free lunch
It is fun while you learn new things
Prep - Cook (Current Employee) –  Airdrie, AB10 December 2017
Preparing the Line Set up ,making sure that it is complete .Most of the time the kitchen is busy ,doing the prep list is the guidelines of daily needs for the kitchen.The Management is supportive to each and everyone.
Pros
free meal
good experience
Server (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB11 November 2017
A good learning experience
picked up on social skills, as well as proper communication techniques
Management was poor which made the job harder but was a good learning curve to know how to handle those situations
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
management
Fun workplace
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK9 November 2017
No increase in salary
Deduction for the meal automatically even you will not eat your meal
No increase in salary
Mostly doing Undertime

The management can easily approach
Fun place for casual work
Server (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB4 October 2017
A job with extremely flexible hours and great coworkers! Truly great atmosphere to work in however advancement opportunities seem to be difficult to achieve. Overall a great place to casually work.
Pros
Half price drinks and upbeat atmosphere.
Cons
Managerial issues.
the inner workings are deeper and darker than you think
Server and Bartender (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK25 September 2017
The girls: Some were rude and catty and acted like they were the popular girls in school while you were a mathlete with braces. A lot of gossiping.
The Boys: kitchen stafff was usually always helpful and friendly
Managers: hit or miss. Sometimes we're great and some were awful. Lazy and would blame things on the servers rather than actually help us
Tipout: they make you tipout on taxes included which is illegal (patron pays tax on service which a company charges the patron and then forwards to the government) a server should not be tipping out on this!!!! Tip out is super high to begin with. I would tip out half of what I made on a good day. And they would take it off you cheque if you did it wrong. (Also illegal)
Food: most is overpriced and you don't get a great discount on food to begin with
Pros
Cool atmosphere, sports bar with effort
Cons
Literally everything about working there
Busy and very long shifts
Server (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, NB24 September 2017
A day at work usually starts anywhere from 10 am in the morning and ends anywhere from 2 am to 4 am. Shifts are long and can go as long as 13 hours with no overtime. Staff and management are super friendly but the number of staff members calling in or not showing up was very high.
Pros
Incentives
Cons
Low pay and no overtime when most shifts last anywhere from 9-13 hours
fun workplace but very stressful. Management could improve
Waitress/Server (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK21 September 2017
The Canadian Brewhouse was a high paced work environment. The management could use some improvement and the way they treat their employees as well. No break is given to servers for a supper/lunch or even 10 min coffee break.
Cons
long hours, bad managment
Great company to begin with till the cracks show
Doorhost\Doorman (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 September 2017
Great company to work for .. if you have the right manager involved - some take power trips and others barely do anything .. find that balance and you will enjoy your shift and feel safe.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Booked off early
Fun Place to Work - long term not so great
Server (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB23 August 2017
You get blinded by the perks that you almost forget that you are under paid which includes not getting paid over time. Tip out is high considering the kitchen staff receives a very low set weekly amount. The rest of it goes only they know where. If you work your way in as one of the favourites you'll be fine. Lots of advancement for them! Other then that, keep it as your part time, I wouldn't make this company one to build a career with.
Pros
Staff discount, decent tips, fun atmosphere
Cons
Under paid, no over time, poor management, high tip out
Best Sports Bar in Edmonton
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 August 2017
The atmosphere is all about having a good time, while you're watching your favourite sports team on one of the many big screen TVs, and enjoying the absolute best pub grub in the city!
This company is a good and a lot of fun
Cook/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB/ fortmcmurray AB24 July 2017
I still love this company but i want in red deer place because me and my wife purchase a newly house in there.im looking for another job for a change and to continue my passion in cooking,to help me grow more.I'm looking for a company that there is benefits like dental,life insurance ect.
Pros
Free lunch every shift
Cons
10-14hrs everyday
Super fun with food & drink in hospitality industry
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 July 2017
Awesome company to work for with tons of opportunity for big earnings and advancement. The food quality is top notch, the Canadian Brewhouse is amazing with promotions & contests, and the clientele is a big part of why it's a great place to work!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Brewhouse. Our community is ready to answer.