Canadian Blood Services Employee Reviews

Excellent workplace with great people
In Clinic Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC6 October 2018
Really enjoyed volunteering at the Victoria Clinic. The nurses and clinic staff are wonderful. Great environment to work in and a great way to interact with people in the community.
Fun workplace
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC8 September 2018
It was great working at Canadain blood services because it was a really fun environment to work in and the people I was volunteering with were really nice and helpful which made the job a lot easier.
Pros
Free food
Productive and full-filling experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 August 2018
At Canadian Blood Services, as a volunteer it mainly involved engaging with donors, ensuring the food requirements are met and serving donors refreshments. The opportunity was very full filling as it allowed giving something back to the community, and helping others that are dedicated to improve others lives monthly or even weakly with plasma donations.
Pros
Gave the opportunity to give back to the community
Cons
Short hours, typical volunteer shift was generally only 3 hours
It was just a volunteer event
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON3 August 2018
I volunteered, helped set up tables, provide assistance with the administration. Helped people understand the requirement that are necessary to donate blood.
Productive work environment
Distribution Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON24 July 2018
Treated with respect and maturity. They had competitive wages and benefits package. I enjoyed the friendly crew that I worked with and the rotating weekends off
Pros
Wages
Cons
Production Lab closed in London
work with fun
Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto ON7 July 2018
Its a great place to work. Fun and friendly environment. No stress at all. They prepare you to handle all possible questions. Mostly donors are very cooperative
Pros
flexible, easygoing and friendly envoirnment
Cons
small lunch room
Review Summary
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC27 May 2018
Working for Canadian Blood Services is an exciting place as each day is very different from the next as we have different donors each day. The overall environment is happy as people are happy to be donating their blood for others in need. We see generous donors, volunteers who work hard for us. We wear uniforms from CBS keeping the atmosphere professional. I am on the mobile team and travel throughout the Okanagan, we have a logistics team who sets up the clinic, then the clinic staff arrive, set the systems to the way we need them and hit the floor running.
Pros
We have a "life bus" that takes the clinic staff to mobile locations
Cons
Only Part time hours available
Not so impressive
Mid Manager (Former Employee) –  HO13 May 2018
I worked under the Finance umbrella. Within a year of joining I left, disillusioned by some of the truly staggering waste. Poorly considered projects, lack of intelligent due diligence followed by the inevitable flop, suppression of information and passing out of the Kool-Aid was not uncommon.. We've seen it before in other lightly regulated NFPs.. A management consultant's dream,there were more than a few CBS cows exchanged for magic beans...

On the bright side, lots of high quality and committed people delivering on the day-to-day mandate.
Pros
A number of Pros and some outstanding amateurs
Cons
Yes I saw more than a few cons....
Typical Day
Donor Care Associate/Phelbotomist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2018
many different cultures interacting with donors and staff learned a lot and got new experiences hardest part of my day when its crazy busy and you just have to keep up the pace and get everything done in a timely manner
Pros
Benefits and unionized
Cons
tedious work days at times
My team is the reason for my smile
Event Coordinator, Donor Relations, AB/Sask/Man (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 April 2018
Although upper management is the cause of regional stress, the Territory Managers and Event Coordinators within the region are the reason most of us are as upbeat as we are.

We work together very well, and have excellent relationships with blood recipients and their families, local media and mobile site contacts to ensure the blood supply in our area maintain the amount required to keep up with hospital demands.
Pros
First hand exposure of how blood and blood products save patients lives.
Cons
Successes are rarely celebrated/acknowledged.
Fun place to work
In-clinic Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 March 2018
Great volunteer expreicnce. People are nice and the work environment is very friendly. Donors are amazing as well as the staff. Very rewarding opportunity.
Amazing team and people!
Blood Donor (Current Employee) –  Bowmanville, ON15 March 2018
I do not work here but as a donor, everyone is very informative and respectful. I enjoy the atmosphere greatly. Everyone is personable and friendly. They are very calm, collected and ensure that you, and everyone is safe and comfortable.
Highly regulated company to protect the Canadian Blood Supply
RN Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 March 2018
I have been employed with Canadian Blood Services for 20 years and have held several positions. I have thoroughly enjoyed working here and have had many opportunities including working with volunteer donors since 1998. I have worked with cancer patients collecting their stem cells for stem cell transplants since 2008.

Canadian Blood Services is moving more and more toward being a blood manufacturer and less focus is on the donors and the patients. This is why I am wanting to change companies and continue to work with patients and give excellent nursing care as my RN training has prepared me to do as well as my work experience.
Pros
Staff appreciation lunches
Cons
more focus is on money and less on the donors/patients
Unstable
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 February 2018
Instability in management, in job security. We are paid very well, but every time we try to come to another agreement they are trying to take away our rights.
Pros
Shift work and changes
Cons
Micro-managed
Great place...but
Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 February 2018
Suggest investment in leadership in certain areas where we know it’s been lacking for a long time. You won’t keep the people you want if you ignore what we all know
Productive and fun workplace
Logistics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 February 2018
It was a great place to work. It was a rewarding feeling to be able to help people.
Travelling and setting up clinics.
Helping people and saving lives.
Pros
Expense account
Cons
Setting up clinics in the winter months.
enjoyable place to work
LABORATORY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK31 January 2018
High workplace culture, with great teamwork. Managment communication was reasonable. The most enjoyable part of the job was working on call and colleague support when needed.
Pros
helping improve Canadian lives every day
Cons
working all types of shifts
Friendly place to volunteer
Blood Donation recruiter (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 January 2018
Very clean and quiet environment with really nice staff. Great volunteering opportunities both for work or school. Got to meet new people every day who help make a difference in the community.
Terrible Management; Negative Environment
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 January 2018
I worked at CBS for over 3 years. It is a toxic and tense environment. Gossip, constant negativity and complaining. CEO, Executive Management team and managers/supervisors appear supportive; however, if problems/issues are brought up, they avoid dealing with it or get rid of you. Major budget cuts to all departments - job security threats. Divided departments - no one works together.
Cons
Management, employee support, work environment
fun, family driven
Data entry (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB4 January 2018
Amazing company to work for. team dynamic and supervisor support were top notch. a typical day of work was a day that would start with a team meeting before every shift to check on everyone if they had any concerns or problems that arose the day before. very beneficial to the entire team to meet like this in the case where several people have the same question or didn't think to ask a certain question etc. hardest part of the job was the hours. There was no opportunity to work any other shift but the one we worked.
Pros
supportive
Cons
late shift

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Blood Services. Our community is ready to answer.