Canadian Blood Services

Canadian Blood Services Employee Reviews

Canada189 reviews
relaxed, professional workplace
Best workplace I've ever worked in. Hours are somewhat irregular, but the people who work for CBS are all super nice and very professional. The company's rules are pretty strict but everyone cooperates.
Pros
short shifts
Cons
irregular shifts
I enjoyed working there and like to work again there
The work place was very good and I met and worked with lovely people. Unfortunately my supervisor was moved to State and my first Supervisor was retired there fore I had to go and missed those days. I hope I can find new job there and go back there after 15 years .
Shabnam Rahimi
Fun environment while helping to save lives
Communication with management was always great! Training was excellent to be able to do my job. Very positive atmosphere and dynamic team environment!
Friendly, caring work atmosphere, fulfilling volunteer experience
I have been an in-clinic volunteer with Canadian Blood Services since 2016. Observing and looking after the donors following a blood donation is part of my duty.
Look for some other place to work
Look for a place where your presence does matter, your skills and qualities are utilised, people are open and receptive with open mind. ...............
Live and Love my work with this company.
Canadian Blood services is one of the few employers that invest in their employees. They are progressive with training, innovative in their methods and standard operating procedures and flawless in overseeing the Canadian blood system.
Pros
Pension plan for part-time, benefits, best salary in the Industry.
Cons
Work shifts can be long and out of town, mostly afternoon to nights.
Decent job but unusual shift times
The job is decent. You have different types of "runs". You have mobile clinincs, permanent clinics, dropping off blood/products to hospitals and dropping off blood to couriers. Mobile clinic runs are the hardest because you are actually transporting equipment to be setup by yourself and a partner and this will usually be challenging because the mobile sites are all over the surrounding area from the CBS hub. The mobiles sites are usually at a school or a church but not exclusively. Once you get there then there's a layout map of where to place all the beds, chairs tables, computer, garbage bins, privacy screens etc. It's exhausting to say the least. You then have to figure out your split break time between you and the other driver because you will be collecting and "shipping" the blood using a proprietary software. The break time is roughly 2 hours which is good. Permanent sites are easier because there isn't any equipment setup, just collecting the blood, no "shipping". Dropping off to the hospital/courier is as easy as it sounds. The big problem for me was the dynamic start/end times that changes daily so you cannot have a 2nd job. CBS also wants you to schedule your other job around this which is absolutely ludicrous and impossible. If you have a family then good luck seeing them 😕. Money is decent and they offer you hours but that's because most traditional drivers are not accustomed to this type of "driver" job. On the mobile run, you only drive 10-20 percent of the time. They will give you, as a new driver most of the mobile runs 😒

CBS - Canadian Blood Services
Pros
Decent pay and long breaks
Cons
Long hours and alot of equipment setting up and details to remember
Excellent place to work
Excellent work environment , good process and excellent management. Staff is easy to work with and we all have the same vision. Yo work together and provide hospitals with the blood required
Awful work life balance. Terrible communication between employer and workers. Not enough hours to keep up with life and bills. No future for advancing
Helping to save lives, but little room for advancement with no full time jobs available. Constant pressure with frequently broken equipment.
Horrible management.
Great Company to work with
Great Company, Great people, fair pay ,Mangagent is OK ( depends which department you work for)
Very physical work and S

ensitive at the same time so its stressful. ( every work place has it's own stress)

Shifts rotate also weekend work required.
Stressful, and toxic environment. If you care about your health CBS is not a good workplace for you
Lots of gossiping and drama, Hectic job, No work-life balance, Management is not supportive and not fair. No job security. If you don't have a strong connection with the management you absolutely do not expect to have Job Security - You have to be prepared to be disciplined or fired for your mistakes.
Decent Job Opportunity
Lots of hands on training given; great benefits, salary and breaks; lots of travel and evening shifts away from family; some cliques that make the atmosphere less welcoming; high demands from management that aren't always best for the employee or the patient
Pros
Great benefits and salary
Cons
Evenings and weekends mostly
Great Business
People who can handle the sight/smell of blood...fast pace environment, in house training programs, teamwork tasks, unionized job with salary premiums.
Management is horrible!
Pay is good. Work could be easy but management prefers competition amongst “ team members “ which creates such a stressful atmosphere . Work is routine and your schedule is always the same so it’s easy to plan things.
Great Team Environment
Very good team and collaborative environment. Management was excellent and working as a casual was very flexible with my schedule. able to work and pick upo a lot of hours.
Wonderful place to volunteer!
I was a volunteer hostess at the Kitchener location. I learned a lot of very interesting information about nursing and donation from the staff that worked there, and about customer service. You see people from every walk of life sitting at the same table eating cookies, and hear the most interesting stories from those that you serve. I really enjoyed my experience there, and would recommend volunteering for anyone interested in the medical field (like PSW or nursing).
Stressful workplace
The first 3 years working here were great! Morale was good and a positive work environment. When the organization wanted to change the company into a bio pharmaceutical manufacturer opposed to a humanitarian organization, they started treating us like robots and slaves. Unpredictable schedule, very chaotic. You’d be working day shifts and evening shifts in the same week. Scattered days off here and there instead of consecutive days off for sufficient rest. Burn out is very high, stress leave high. Everyone’s health deteriorates quickly in such a toxic workplace. I’ll also add the supervisors are useless and need to go back to when there was charge nurses in charge of clinics. Way too much being spent on management instead of the front line employees getting the compensation they truly deserve.
Good place to work, staff were always nice to work with
Took on this job as a part time and loved every minute. Great place and always meeting new people. Training is always ongoing and staff meetings keep everyone up to date on whats is planned.
Work Experience
I was a volunteer and did not get the best experience because they were not coordinated. Someone who was managing the volunteer department quit halfway and the volunteers had to find that out themselves. We had to contact HR to find out who to contact for further opportunities.
Terrible place to work
This has to be one of the worst places to work with no concept of teamwork. The management team and it’s supervisors are so incompetent it’s hard to describe. Run towards another job is my recommendation
Great company to work for and the nature of the business.
- Working with people
- Being part of a team/depending on eachother

- Type of business

- Fast paced

- Knowing the importance of your job

Saving lives!
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Blood Services. Our community is ready to answer.