Canadian Blood Services

Canadian Blood Services Employee Reviews

Canada242 reviews

bloodcanadiancbsdonateclinicvolunteerdonationsave

Challenging and rewarding

Although the job is challenging it’s extremely rewarding. Working first had with recipients and donors was an amazing experience. Centralized management is difficult to work with. Good benefits and pay.

Pros

Engaging with the public

Cons

Management is disconnected to the site.

Such a positive workplace

Working for CBS is a great choice. Everyone is so welcoming and kind, and always wanting you to succeed. I don’t dread going to work everyday, i actually enjoy it. And If I’m sick and need a few days off I don’t get in trouble from my manager, she always makes sure we’re feeling our best. The Nanaimo manager is an absolute pleasure to work with, always so kind and wanting to have a good, fun day. I love this job and all the staff!

Pros

Great management, supportive team

Cons

Rude customers

Insights into Canadian Blood Services

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Incredible Organization

CBS members care so deeply about their work. The organization is changing and improving all the time. Internal promotion is common if you work hard.

Pros

Very smart professionals, very collaborative

Cons

Like other places, some people are very set in their ways

Full of gossip and bad management

They will make it seem like the best job on earth, and turn around and stab you in the back. Improper training and with unsupported management. They will tell you one set of rules and regulations and make up their own as they go. Donors are absolutely amazing, management and co workers are quick to bully you

meaningful work!

Servicing patients and donors is meaningful work and your work does make a difference. Working culture is good and departmental support is collaborative.

Pros

good working environment

Cons

long hours, meetings and emails

Rewarding job

Productive, rewarding, fulfilling. Very team oriented. Travel involved for mobile clinics. Very rewarding to know you are saving lives each and every day.

Pros

Good wages

Cons

Long hours at times

Great place to work and grow

Supportive work environment for new employees and opportunities for professional growth. Part time and full time work available and remote work opportunities. Some roles include travel.

Pros

Fair compensation

Cons

No benefits while on fixed term contract for the first year

Rewarding

Attention to detail is a must and a good and light attitude. This results in a great atmosphere and work place. Able to move at a good speed and enjoy working as a team member.

Great place. Met a lot of good people .

I worked as a volunteer . Helping donors , educating them and helping nurses sometimes. My experience was great i met a lot of nice people and i think it helped me a lot.

Not good place to work

very busy and stressful working environment. Micro management. Managers are not supporting staff. managers are very picky and let sataff feel they are competitors instead of supporting them.

Pros

Moral satisfaction helping in saving patient's lives

Cons

unconsiderate management

Upper management disconnected

The job and people I worked with were awesome. Upper management not so much .training is top notch .logistics development incredible knowledge of our place in the system.

Very damaging workplace culture is allowed to fester.

Lovely people who come to donate with no monetary reward. They are the best. Management is able to run roughshod over staff they don't like or are trying to dismiss creatively. A fine job ruined by miscreants.

Pros

union sort of.

Cons

Where would I start. Management first of all.

Productive & work & life balance

Nice place to work :) Good pay.Excellent management .FlexibleNot much promotionsHappy & clean environment lot of learning possibilities lot of internal job opportunities

Pros

flexible

Cons

Great group of people to work with

It was a short term contract. The people I worked with were very nice and helpful. I would work for them again if given the opportunity. Very flexible.

Great National Company with a Mission!

There is a purpose and mission for which and with which we work at CBS. The leaders, managers, team members and peers are understanding, transparent, collaborating, and reaching out with help.The management always promotes ways to improve work-life balance and self-and team care.

Fast paced

The positions are mostly temporary, shift work so no room for growth. Management seems disconnected from the day-to-day operations sometimes. There is some sense of fulfillment as you are contributing towards the blood supply system

Management staff and NC’s needs overhaul

Some management here have no business holding their job role as they lack the desire or necessary abilities to create a cohesive, safe work environment free of harassment and bullying amongst the staff .They refuse to properly address these ongoing issues and in doing so attribute to a toxic work culture. Favouritism amongst staff is evident. Some of the NC ‘s consistently demean and undermine DCA’s work in donors presence. With the exception of the few bad apples that can negatively impact the whole clinic vibe ; most of ladies are wonderful and I’ve always looked forward to working them. The pay is very good. The work is meaningful .

Catty environment but meaningful work

Very catty environment but working with donors was very rewarding. Unfortunate that so many workers seem to forget that this job is important when it comes to saving lives.

Overall great employer

Really enjoyed the frontline staff I over saw. Had good relations with the management team and was able to support frontline staff by speaking to management in supportive discussions

Horrible treatment

This company was very unfair to many. I was bullied by management and made to feel bad. I was made to feel less then my supervisor. They did not lead by example

Worst company I ever worked for, management were nothing but dictators

They zero in on an employee and don't leave him/her alone till they give him/her a nervous breakdown, very very much a undisciplined management source

Cons

Horrible experience

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Blood Services. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement