Canadian Blood Services Employee Reviews

Fun place to work.
VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCES (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON28 February 2019
Canadian Blood Service encourage people to donate blood helping people in need. They do and contribute so much to the Canadian citizenships and other people with health issues
Great Opportunity, with a great company
DSR Supervisor, Atlantic (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS10 February 2019
Great company to work for, that does it's best to balance operational needs with the expectations of it's employees. The mission, vision, values and operational pillars have undergone a recent Brand Renewal and revitalization that I anticipate will reward the company with awareness and relevance for years to come.
Very enjoyable
Senior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 February 2019
I enjoyed working there. I had a window and it made me happy. I didn't want to leave but circumstances were out of my control but I would go back if I could.
Great contract
Temp. Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 February 2019
Lots too learn while working with a great group of people. Would have loved too stay after the end of the contract. One of my favourite places too work.
Good people, nice space, need more hours
Donor Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 January 2019
The job itself is great. It's nice to work with donors who genuinely want to be there. The staff are hard working and get along. I mostly wish they would stop hiring new staff and increase FTEs for current staff. Help us have more stable hours and better pay at the end of the day, instead of wasting time and resources on new staff that do not stick around because of lack of hours.
Pros
gifts every 5 years, staff works hard, work with nice donors
Cons
no where to go professionally, hours are speratic, work every other Saturday
Wonderful place to work, treated like family
Donor Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON27 January 2019
A wonderful place to work. Management is very understanding and accommodating. Very steady flow of donors at a clinic. Workplace culture is very inviting and friendly.
Pros
Excellent Pay, decent benefits, awesome staff
Cons
Hours are very limited
Super cool building/Situated in Ottawa/
ASSISTANTE ADMINISTRATIVE (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 January 2019
Excellent work environment/Friendly coworkers/Excellent work culture/Nice building/Shower facilities available/ Long one-hour lunch breaks/Lunch break activities like volleyball
Great Place to Work
Nurse Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 January 2019
Very positive experience from the interview to the end of my employment (due to relocation). Excellent coworkers and working environment. Very supportive and provided great initial and ongoing training.
if You want somewhere good to work don’t work here.
LOGISTICS TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 December 2018
If you are not a favourite your toast. Incredibly incestuous. No chance for movement and the hours are terrible. If your not in the clique your going no where no matter how hard you work. Management is dishonest, no training or a great lack of it.
Pros
Could be good with proper leadership.
Cons
Terrible dishonest management.
Extremely stressful work environment
Document Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS21 November 2018
Bully mentality for many managers/supervisors. Hardest part of job not knowing when you arrived if this was your day to be terminated as many departments.and/or staff were elimenated with no notice or warning.

Want to know more about Canadian Blood Services?

Ask a question
Excellent workplace with great people
In Clinic Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC6 October 2018
Really enjoyed volunteering at the Victoria Clinic. The nurses and clinic staff are wonderful. Great environment to work in and a great way to interact with people in the community.
Fun workplace
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC8 September 2018
It was great working at Canadain blood services because it was a really fun environment to work in and the people I was volunteering with were really nice and helpful which made the job a lot easier.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Great overall experience; somewhat negative work environment
Donor Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 August 2018
The job itself is incredible. Your main personnel are very happy and generous blood donors who clearly appreciate the work of the staff at Canadian Blood Services. That being said, I feel that the management team may be the main reason this company has such a high turnover rate. They make the work atmosphere almost competitive against peers, which in turn creates poor morale for the staff and workplace bullying. The schedule is also a major factor in the rate they lose employees. There are no full-time positions for the clinic staff and most shifts are only 5 hours or so. When they need more staff hours they hire a new group of part times instead of increasing current employees FTE.
Pros
Benefits, Fair pay, Pleasant donors
Cons
Inconsistent work hours, frequent changes in policy
Productive and full-filling experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 August 2018
At Canadian Blood Services, as a volunteer it mainly involved engaging with donors, ensuring the food requirements are met and serving donors refreshments. The opportunity was very full filling as it allowed giving something back to the community, and helping others that are dedicated to improve others lives monthly or even weakly with plasma donations.
Pros
Gave the opportunity to give back to the community
Cons
Short hours, typical volunteer shift was generally only 3 hours
It was just a volunteer event
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON3 August 2018
I volunteered, helped set up tables, provide assistance with the administration. Helped people understand the requirement that are necessary to donate blood.
Productive work environment
Distribution Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON24 July 2018
Treated with respect and maturity. They had competitive wages and benefits package. I enjoyed the friendly crew that I worked with and the rotating weekends off
Pros
Wages
Cons
Production Lab closed in London
work with fun
Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto ON7 July 2018
Its a great place to work. Fun and friendly environment. No stress at all. They prepare you to handle all possible questions. Mostly donors are very cooperative
Pros
flexible, easygoing and friendly envoirnment
Cons
small lunch room
Review Summary
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC27 May 2018
Working for Canadian Blood Services is an exciting place as each day is very different from the next as we have different donors each day. The overall environment is happy as people are happy to be donating their blood for others in need. We see generous donors, volunteers who work hard for us. We wear uniforms from CBS keeping the atmosphere professional. I am on the mobile team and travel throughout the Okanagan, we have a logistics team who sets up the clinic, then the clinic staff arrive, set the systems to the way we need them and hit the floor running.
Pros
We have a "life bus" that takes the clinic staff to mobile locations
Cons
Only Part time hours available
Typical Day
Donor Care Associate/Phelbotomist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2018
many different cultures interacting with donors and staff learned a lot and got new experiences hardest part of my day when its crazy busy and you just have to keep up the pace and get everything done in a timely manner
Pros
Benefits and unionized
Cons
tedious work days at times
My team is the reason for my smile
Event Coordinator, Donor Relations, AB/Sask/Man (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 April 2018
Although upper management is the cause of regional stress, the Territory Managers and Event Coordinators within the region are the reason most of us are as upbeat as we are.

We work together very well, and have excellent relationships with blood recipients and their families, local media and mobile site contacts to ensure the blood supply in our area maintain the amount required to keep up with hospital demands.
Pros
First hand exposure of how blood and blood products save patients lives.
Cons
Successes are rarely celebrated/acknowledged.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Blood Services. Our community is ready to answer.