Canadian Army Reserves Employee Reviews

Its a good place to work and meet others, the environment is nice and its always improving.
Vehicle Technician (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB20 December 2018
Typical days at work consist of working and inspecting vehicles, trailers, or generators as a Vehicle Technician. I've learned how to be a good leader and be an even better technician through all of the mentors I've had through the 4 years of working there. The management is great with the higher ups, workplace culture is always at a high. The hardest part of the job is to move around, and relocate to do courses and other things of that nature during your time on training, or work related. I love meeting new people, and learning new things, its always something I enjoy doing, learning how to do something I do every day, in a new efficient way.
Pros
Free food, free travel
Cons
Working late a lot
Fun, social, and challenging work environment with lots of opportunities.
Infantry Soldier (Current Employee) –  Fredericton, NB19 September 2018
A day at work varies dependent on trade and qualifications. No day is ever the same as new tasks are always being passed down the Chain of Command. You will learn about leadership, teamwork, and perseverance while developing the knowledge of your personal trade as well as others across the forces. The work place has strong ties to tradition which varies unit to unit. Physical health and Wellness to be mission ready are fundamental as well as the hard work ethic and integrity.
Pros
social, challenging, fun, adventure, skill development
Cons
adjustment period
Exciting job
Armoured Crewman (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 August 2018
Fun and excitement at the job every time I put on the uniform. Yes the training won't be fun and its not supposed to be fun because they are trying to train soldiers. But its all worth it.
Pros
Get to play with weapons
infantry
Infanteer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON22 July 2018
spent alot of time training outdoors it was exactly like you see boot camp being like in the movies overall it was a great experience shooting rifles and stuff
Best Job Ever
Soldier (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON12 July 2018
Best job I ever had. Well rounded development and good recognition of talents and aptitudes and a willingness to invest in said talents. They really focused on growing bonds between soldiers though overcoming adversities together. Helped me gain confidence and strength which have benefited me in many ways throughout my life.
Great experience, losts of fun and very challenging.
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Gagetown, NB16 April 2018
Funnest job i ever had. Well rounded development and good recognition of talents and aptitudes and a willingness to invest in said talents. They really focused on growing bonds between soldiers though overcoming adversities together. Helped me gain confidence and strength witch have benefited me in many ways throughout my life.
Pros
Well fed, well paid and well trained mentally and phisically.
Cons
Lots of brainwashing and questionable moral teachings.
Pride in Service
Armour Officer (Current Employee) –  London, ON10 April 2018
This is a physical job (basic training itself is VERY physical) even though you can end up sitting at a desk later in your career. It wont make you rich, but it will instill pride in wearing the uniform.
Pros
Great culture if you enjoy that sort of thing
Cons
None if you enjoy that sort of thing
Great employment
Infantryman (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON8 April 2018
For anyone willing to join the Canadian Army reserve, it is great, fulfilling work that brings a feeling of great pride. You learn discipline, working past your weaknesses, and teamwork that surpasses that learned at an average job. Free travel within Canada and abroad overseas is usually available.
Not the most positive experience however I learned valuable lessons
Private (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON4 April 2018
I was not in the forces long enough to comment on it in any extensive manner however in the time I was in, I learned some valuable lessons about life and hard work.
Really underpaid relative to any other comparable work
Reservist (Former Employee) –  Canada13 March 2018
What they don't tell you when your recruited is that your paid essentially 3 dollars an hour,have surrendered all your rights and will spend the rest of your career bored to tears in a culture that punishes any thought of leaving
Takes a lot of Mental and physical toughness
Trainee (Solider) (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS4 March 2018
The Armed Forces just was not how i expected it to be and was not what i wanted to do with my life. Pay was good but strained me mentally and physically.
Pros
Really good pay
Cons
Very challenging
It made me who i am today
Corporal (Current Employee) –  Sherbrooke, QC13 January 2018
There's just too much to write in here,

You start off not knowing how to tie your boots

to

being able to multitask in extreme harsh environments

give it a shot, you'll become just better at life in general
Pros
very good salary, flexible hours, amazing life knowledge and boost in confidence
Cons
some situations are out of your control, you'll have to deal with it, as in real life
different Life style
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC16 December 2017
Great place to work if you like the lifestyle
up early work hard train harder
Great teamwork
learn new skills
Hardest part is taking the disrespective language from your superiors even more during times of peace (better during active time of war or deployed in duty overseas).
Best part learning the job and protecting people
Pros
skills learned equipment to use fitness
Cons
salary if not an officer, treated with disrespect when at home base during training
Fast paced and fun work environment.
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC9 November 2017
This job is quite challenging physically and mentally, but the friendships you gain last a life time. There are opportunities to work across Canada and around the world.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Weekend work often with long hours.
Depends on the individual's desired interest
Pte (Current Employee) –  Canada27 September 2017
My time in the reserves has taught me that essentially nothing in it would work unless people didn't follow the rules. There are not enough allocated funds to the reserves to do much training at all (ammo, vehicles etc.).

Like in any job there are good and bad employees, unfortunately, in this job, bad employees can hold rank over you and you will be under their command. Hopefully, the good employees will make up for it.

There aren't many opportunities in the reserves right now to actually contribute to the betterment of Canadian/International society. That is my main gripe, but if you're looking for a steady job, rather than what I hoped for (meaningful work) than the reserves could be great for you. Not saying there isn't meaningful work out there in the army of course, just that we're not often given the chance to contribute. Even in domestic ops.

Having said that, the reserves seems like it kicks into action when it's needed (i.e. Afghanistan).
Pros
Work towards the greater good
Cons
Lack of opportunity and managment
great if you love the outdoors
Infantryman (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK5 August 2017
meet new friends, work as a team, become learn a variety of new skills. everyday is different with new tasks and adventures you don't find with a normal 9 to 5 work day
exciting and ever changing job
Armoured Reconnaissance crewman (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 July 2017
There's no such thing as a typical day at work in the Canadian Armed Forces. you will always be doing different things and learning or practicing new skills to make yourself a better soldier. Including the many skills I've learned specific to the army, I have also gained and improved my skills in working with people such as communication and teamwork. The management differs with each individual and all have their own style of leadership which you will need to adapt to. the workplace culture could be one of the best parts of the job. The military drills teamwork and cooperation into all of its soldiers from the moment you enlist, the comradery found in the forces is truly amazing and the army is where I've met some of my best friends. The hardest part of the army is the first weeks. Getting accustomed to army life. the most enjoyable part of the job is the workplace culture.
Fast paced, productive
Infantry Soldier (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON14 April 2017
very productive everyday, the hardest part and the most enjoyable part of the job is doing the task after long hours but with a great group of soldiers.
Pros
great atmosphere, great skills
Great job
Combat Engineer (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 January 2017
Tones of fun, hard work, fantastic group of people, training is top tier,hardest part of the job is getting into the right mindset and preparing for exercises and additional training to prepare for the real thing
lots of great learning/traveling opportunities, as well as progressive salary increase based on time and training
Infantry Soldier (Former Employee) –  Yellowknife, NT4 January 2017
Great Learning experience with many different training locations, also embraces diversity and improves self discipline. Insured hours, good benefits, lots of good laughs and amazing interactions with people from all walks of life.
Pros
learning curves based upon peoples desire to improve themselves.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canadian Army Reserves. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4