Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews

volunteer
Team Lead-Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON18 January 2018
Pros
Job stability and different projects - many people in the office were nice and open to help and teach if you are young
Cons
Slow days - might not be a strong suit if you're looking to work long hours and gain different types of experience
Government Job
Collections Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 January 2018
It was a job. A job that some like to do and some don't. A job that had a salary attached with which to pay the bills. It most definitely was not a career choice for some but for others it was.
Pros
Some coworkers made the day bearable
Cons
micromanagement by incompetent managers
Started out well but went downhill fast.
Income Tax Auditor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 January 2018
MY latest experience was with the Income Tax Department with CRA in Edmonton was about a 4/10. It felt really difficult to get work done in this environment. So many delays, and many inconsistent policies with applying the tax act. I had several managers in the course of 1.5 years and it was extremely slow in getting work accomplished.

The plus about working at the gov't is the ability to manage your own schedule you could work longer days at 9 hrs and work 4 days in the week. The best part is the days off. That was the best part of working here. Sad.

Prior to 2015 with the other departments It was generally a really decent experience - 8/10 and I didn't have many complaints.

My latest experience was very poor and I know many people who have left to pursue other opportunities. It all comes down to your team leader and if they could motivate you or not. I could not continue to work in this environment.
Pros
Work Schedule, Days off, Pension
Cons
Some terrible Management, Inconsistent policies, Slow and inefficient work environment.
Great workplace
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  White Rock, BC19 December 2017
Great workplace to gain experience. Everyone is very kind and easy to work with. The community volunteer income tax program is great volunteering opportunity that Canada Revenue Agency offers.
A very rewarding environment to work in
Auditor/Examiner (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK17 December 2017
A typical work day consists of numerous telephone calls to and from taxpayers, accountants and general public. I learned a great deal about the taxation system in Canada. Management promotes a positive and productive work environment. The most difficult part of the job is learning the Income Tax and Excise Tax Acts. The most enjoyable part is dealing with people from across Canada.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Broad HR Experience
Labour Relations Technical Consultant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 December 2017
CRA is an excellent place to perform HR functions if you want exposure to complex HR situations. Staff are well trained and supported. Compensation is good and the ability to achieve good balance with your personal life exists.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Stressful and complex work
An inclusive work environment
Efile Income Tax Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS10 December 2017
Canada Revenue Agency allowed me to balance life and work by working with my availability. I enjoyed mostly the opportunity I got to help people in my community file their taxes.
Excellent employer, no benefits with contract positions, also only work during tax season; little opportunity to advance from temporary contract work.
Tax Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 December 2017
Excellent employer; no benefits with contract positions, also only work during tax season; little opportunity to advance from temporary contract work.
Pros
Supportive and non discriminatory working environment, excellent training
Cons
No benefits with temporary contracts, little opportunity to advance into permanent benefitted positions, Phoenix pay system issues
Serving the Community and the General Public
Co-op University Undergraduate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 November 2017
I have enjoyed working at Canada Revenue Agency when I served both the community and the general public in a government setting. In fact, I have been fascinated by Canadian Politics when I took Social Studies classes in both middle school and high school.
Wonderful organization to work with
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ON26 November 2017
It gave a chance t serve the low-income people in a helped relieve their stress and gave me a feeling that I had made someone's life little easier. Thanks to CRA for helping me use what I studied at school
Work in in different job in different positions
Revenue Processing Clerk,, General Control Clerkr (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC26 November 2017
I started working as Data control Clerk which we input date in the data base of every person filling an Income Income return and then I was transferred to General Control Clerk which I did a lot Records handling and Final work is Revenue Processing Clerk which I processed payment of Individual Income tax and GST
Overworked staff, poor venue to trouble shoot social disputes and erroneous complaints
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON21 November 2017
Canada Revenue Agency could be an amazing place to work.
There are many people who enjoy their work there, however, there are few people employed by designation to specific tasks.
Few specialists in areas that would create a cohesive environment of young professionals growing a realistic career, such as areas where debriefing and social support may be required for job descriptive tasks that are situational based.
Canada Revenue Agency has a mixed reputation for both promoting and destroying aspirational workers.
Pros
Great hours and flexibility for time
Cons
Toxic environment susceptible to merit of opinion instead of fact
Ok
Assessment & Benefits Processing Officer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON18 November 2017
Ok. Good Benefits. Needs better management. Not easy to move within organization. Only worked there for 5 years before I retired. I have nothing more to say.
Excellent secure place to work.
Tax auditor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 November 2017
Advancement opportunities and secure atmosphere. Great employed. Can apply on all job postings in Canada. Holidays granted in advance, health and family related days off.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Clicky work place
Great environment
SP03 Call Centre Collections Agent (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 November 2017
Awesome job, and a terrific team to work for.
Respectful of all employees, with a willingness to help each person to learn and grow within the department of Revenue Canada.
Productiva and not stressful
Tax Auditor (Former Employee) –  Toronto ON4 November 2017
Great place to work. Great work environment, knowledgeable supervisors. Management very understanding and flexible. Location is great for commute be it driving or public transportation.
Pros
Flexible time to work
Cons
Short breaks
Good company
Bilingual Tax Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Newfoundland and Labrador30 October 2017
Good companyif you are willing to put in the work and do not mind working in a stat environment. Good pay and benefits. Pension and union job. Contract work.
Productive and fun workplace
MAIL CLERK (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON26 October 2017
A typical day at work consists of meeting production at a fast and yet efficient way. I learned how to become adjusted to the workplace after leaving a customer service job. It was a different atmosphere than I was used to but I enjoyed it. The management that I had the opportunity of meeting were very friendly and encouraged staff during the limited time that was given to meet the quota for the month/year. The hardest part of the job was getting accustomed to the production rates that were given, however I enjoyed meeting new folks from various ages and learning about the new tasks that were given to me.
Shift work
Mail Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC24 October 2017
I enjoyed working with CRA. The temporary nature of my contract didn't provide any job security, They don't offer any opportunity for advancement. There are no benefits in short term contracts.
limited feedback
Coop student (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 October 2017
I was there for 3 months as a co-op student, therefore cannot provide valued feedback. Nevertheless, my work was slow paced and not stimulating. I have heard better assessment from others.