Canada Revenue Agency

Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews

I really enjoyed my time with the CRA and would consider going back. However, trough talking with friends and past coworkers it does seem to be very dependent on which team you land with. That is, most teams and managers are amazing, and some maybe less enjoyable.
Pros
Job security, relaxed environment, and enjoyable work
Cons
Learning French is necessary to advance
Training is atrocious. Hard to become a permanent employee. The training leaves a lot to be desired. When I was training and asking for help, I was told by a manager the cream rises to the top and the rest we drop. That’s when I decided to look for other employment.
Pros
Slightly above average pay
Cons
To many to list
J’ai toujours travaillé avec plein d’énergie parce que tous les employés étaient gentils et s’entraident entre eux. Il y’a des mauvaises journées aussi mais après tout, nous rentrons à la maison tout en oubliant le passé et espérant réjouir le lendemain.
Pros
Sauf en cas de réunion
Poor hiring practices. Hiring is more focusd on filing quotas, rather than on experience.Limited chance for advancement, unless you are a visible minority. Toxic work environment. Poor collaboration among staff as a result of inexperienced management and constant competition for internal jobs. Excellent work life balance, benefits and time off. This is an area where the government is ahead of the curve.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Toxic cultiure and poor management
It is a good working environment where learning comes with application contemporaneously. Lots of support from management and fellow colleagues.Advancement in careers encouraged.
I found the work place very easy going and the training is excellent so is management. I really learned a lot while working there and it helped me to perfect some of my skills.
Pros
Very accommodating
Cons
Have to work a long time before you become permanent
If you're too good at your job and don't know the right person then there is little to no opportunity to advance or even move laterally within the call centre. They also implemented a new training strategy when I was there in Nov 2018-2019 where instead of waiting until after your first year and raise to train you to take on more duties, they'd do so before meaning that you'd be doing more for less money.
Pros
Constant potlucks, great benefits, networking
Cons
Extreme favouritism, unprofessional managers, HR and unions are only out to protect their own reputations.
The training is excellent, but a lot of difficulties working from home, their network would often disconnect. If you love reading the same policy and procedures over and over for every call, this job is for you. You can never answer from your memory bank. In 5 weeks, I went through 3 managers. The 3rd one sent me a link to follow instructions to log into Pheonix pay system because I didn't get paid. Long story short, it wiped out everything on my computer. I was told I should not have downloaded the link. I just resigned at that point. They never set me up on direct deposit. My 1st paycheck came in the mail 4 weeks later by cheque. I'm still waiting to get paid for my last few weeks. If you have patience, for these types of issues for just a contract Job, than this job is for you. You are not guaranteed to be hired on full time. So don't quit your Job for this Job.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Monotonous
The people were all very professional and friendly. Lots of diversity and excellent work culture. The rules are very fair and transparent. Lots of training and opportunities for growth. Would love to work there again.
the work overall was pointless. Management constantly rotates and it generates a craven & paranoid atmosphere about addressing any challenges. Hundreds of hours of work undone whenever the next boss shuffles in a few months later.
Pros
hard to fire anyone, plus management doesn't want to put in the effort
Cons
literally everything. Plus they don't pay you (google "Pheonix Pay")
I did not have PC access through the entire training ground process and most of the first week of work... IT was not able to permanently fix the glitch.
Pros
Great supportive Supervisor, clean work environment, promotes taking breaks.
Cons
Ongojng IT issues
Toxic environment. They don't care about you.... your just another number. The wrong people move up and right people don't get a chance. Experience and knowledge mean nothinnnngggg.... to them. The stress is too much and you can't even get on a current contract. Government rather look good handing out money then handing out money that was rightfully earned to their employees. Thanks for the Christmas orange, the dollarama chocolate and my buried half hour lunch cause you cant even treat your employees or give them a non productive time code for it. bahhh humm buggg
Pros
you get paid
Cons
everything else
Great place to work. Sometimes the stress can be overwhelming working with very tight time frames and other pressures involved in the workload. If you like to be busy this is the job for you. The people make up for it. I recommend working there.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Tight time frames
Managers and coworkers are great. They are very accommodating. Paid sick, family, personal, and vacation leave. Union and management really care about the well-being of their employees.
Pros
Paid time off and great environment
Cons
Dealing with angry people on the phone occasionally
contractual work and didn't care whether someone had enough hours for employment insurance afterwards. The work is like an assembly line and you need to produce or you are terminated.
Worked at CRA on contract. Managment is very nice and very understanding. They have a mental health line for you to contact and are reasonable on how you work.The most enjoyable part was being allowed to dress casually and being allowed to wear my headphones whilst working
Pros
Allowed headphones
It’s not worth the stress and workload. Stay in the private sector. Poor working conditions. Lack of leadership and accountability. You will not enjoy the nature of the work and taxpayers who are threatening and deceitful.
it is the old girl.boy club, Upper management is bedding the staff, if you dont play the game you never moveFemale staff are constantly using the H word
Must enjoy a desk position! Although they did have the option of adjusting the desk height to allow for standing to break up sitting all day. The supervisors and managers are fantastic and all have “been” where you are so they understand your frustrations and give great coping advice.
Pros
Great pay and benefits, awesome people.
Cons
Call centre work
I was with Canada Revenue Agency for over 29 years I worked in various divisions Did different types of jobs Learnt software skills Completed various competencies such as English writing, grammar Communication skills Judgemental skills I would recommend anyone to work for them
Pros
Good Agency to work for.
Cons
they hire on 3 months of contract and if they need then only one gets extention. Otherwise no work. Uncertainty, the manager would say they will call you for next time. But never heard from them.
Cons
Uncertainty