Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews

Quiet but friendly
Data entry clerk (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON11 June 2018
It depends what department you end up working in, there are many jobs there. But there is so much room for advancement. The staff is very nice and overall it's a good place.
Great!
Student summer job (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC1 June 2018
Good summer student job. Welcoming environment and caring staff, Everyone was very helpful and understanding of the fact i was not familiar with the computer system and proper procedures.
Not always a fun place to work
COLLECTION AND TELETRACE AGENT (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 May 2018
I have worked since 1987 at Canada Revenue Agency. I retired in February 2017. Always busy, learnt all aspects of client services (t1 reassessments, matching, internal audit and appeals reassessments.
As inbound and outbound collection officer worked on individuals, businesses and corporations accounts as well as Employment insurance, Canada Pension plan and student loan accounts.
The hardest part of the job was all day on the phone and dealing with difficult clients. The nice part of the job was to meet excellent individuals and business people. Shift work was some times hard.
Management was o.k.
Pros
Good work benefits
Cons
You are stuck in daily routine.
Short-term contract. Hectic environment.
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL18 May 2018
My position included the following duties.

Providing explanations and/or clarification to clients over the telephone in response to their on-line account inquiries.
Gathering information from taxpayers to establish the precise nature of their inquiry or request.
Researching possible responses or solutions using a variety of internal and external information sources.
The conflictual team spirit doesn't help to optimize the quality of the work
Systems Analyst - Mainframe (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 May 2018
Big projects, where there is a lot to learn. The workload assessment and the deadlines are unfortunately not realistic. This puts a lot of pressure downstream.
Professional Organization
Collections Contact Officer (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC15 May 2018
The CRA has a very supportive work culture and staff development and accountability were part of the organization's mission .The position was a contract position and was not renewed.
Pros
Flexibility in scheduling
Cons
Contract position
Amazingly generous, supports employees in working hard, fantastic management
Matching (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 May 2018
Though the job can be hard, your supervisors will be the most amazing people you've ever worked under. They will train you as much as YOU need, keep up with your production and offer help or advice along the way, and make you feel good if you are working hard. Days off are few and far between, but the work is not very stressful.
Great place to work.
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC13 May 2018
Great place to learn all about taxation. Once you've been there five years, if you don't get picked for management, it is time to take what you learned and go work in industry.
engagement and culture outdated
Previous Employment (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 May 2018
Too much repetitive testing and need to prove abilities, even after years of on the job performance . Requirement to re-qualify for competitions while having previously attained all prerequisites. Tedious.
Productive place to work with plenty of opportunities
Client Services Clerk (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL7 May 2018
CRA is a great place to work with great employee and health benefits. The salary is competitive and there are several opportunities for advancement within the agency if you’re willing to work hard and take pride in your work.
Pros
Many committees
Cons
Work can be repetitive

Want to know more about Canada Revenue Agency?

Ask a question
Correct.
Tier 2 Tax services agent (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 May 2018
Opportunités d'avancement, horaires flexibles et pression raisonnable pendant la période d'impôts.
Overall positive experience
T1 Processing Review Clerk (T1PR-SP03) (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC2 May 2018
Many initiatives for maintaining a healthy workplace. Flexible work hours and ability to customize schedule. Apply tax law and Canada Revenue Agency policies on a daily basis.
Not bad but no security
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC1 May 2018
Spent many years trying to advance at CRA, always obstacles and barriers to prevent from advancing and job security. Constantly layed off and rehired, which is very discouraging.
Summary
Excise Tax Auditor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 April 2018
Great work/life balance and great culture.

A typical day at work would consist of reviewing a file and determining the next action. It could be calling the registrant, sending an initial letter, or just get a background understanding of the individual.

Sometimes the hardest part of the job would be just getting a hold of the person you're looking to speak with.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting a simple "Thank you" from the registrant. Or sometimes the registrant would say "you're actually not that difficult to deal with." Little comments like that really go a long way.
Amazing work life balance with good benefits
Finance and Admin (Former Employee) –  London, ON26 April 2018
A good place to work with amazing work-life balance. Everyone is very friendly and is willing to help you if you ever need help. There are endless opportunities for career advancements.
Good pay and benefits; no training
Mailroom clerk/General technician (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB24 April 2018
I started working while they were understaffed and received very little help or training until I was thrown into it headfirst. Because of this, my coworkers didn't trust me and the atmosphere at work made me extremely upset because no one would give me half a minute to figure out what I was supposed to be doing before giving my task to someone else.
professional workspace
Taxpayer Services Agent (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 April 2018
very professional
very accommodating
great benefits

the staff is amazing, really learn a lot about our tax system
many opportunities to learn, grow and move up in the CRA
Productive and good group of people to work with
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 April 2018
I loved my job. loved the routine and guidance from my team leader and colleagues.
My section got relocated, after working for fifteen years i was still not permanent and that was the sad part.
Pros
I have pension and work experiance
Cons
have to adjust to a new job
It was great for me at that time
Tax Payer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 April 2018
At this time in my life I was in my final year at University and I was trying to get some experience. The people were great and the role was fun but I wanted more.
Collections Contact Officer - CRA
Collections Contact Officer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS29 March 2018
Excellent job. Really enjoyed it. Nothing what i thought it would be like when i first joined. Lots of opportunities and salary is great! Looking at a promotion already!