Canada Revenue Agency
Coronavirus update
Information from Canada Revenue Agency:

Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews

Canada657 reviews
I had the best team with the best team leader. I appreciate all the support I received from team leader and resource officers. We had periodically meetings that all team members can discuss topics and give officer questions. We follow the micromanagement schedule. But the call sometimes was so stressful with aggressive clients, which might ruin your day or your week. Mental health is the thing I try to pay attention to balance between work and life. It's a good experience to improve your communication skills, tax matters, and customer services.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Stressful calls
I worked at CRA as a summer student for three different placements: once as a call centre agent, as a junior compliance analyst, and as a student data scientist (though my last two placements were closely related). I found them all very interesting and helpful! People are usually great to work with, and I truly believe CRA cares greatly about its employees. The CRA also greatly cares for work-life balance, and generally provides meaningful work for its employees. I also liked the many different student networking events and other networking events for helping me become a better employee. However, work days can be a bit slow sometimes, and training could be improved for job-related topics, especially for students. Overall, however, my experience was a positive one and I would gladly come back in the future!
Pros
Very friendly and welcoming coworkers, work-life balance, engaging work, opportunities for networking
Cons
Work can be a bit dull at times, lack of training opportunities
The team leaders have no skills and do not know most workflows. They are just put where needed because all the do is going to a meeting and approve timesheets. Most are beyond dumb. They talk about people behind their back and do not have business management training. The director in Sudbury is a complete fool who again was put in a job he should not be in. He is rude and arrogant and does not care for people at all or his employees or he would stick up for them. They put aboriginals into department manager jobs with no experience and have no idea what they are doing because they have to have so many minorities in positions in government.
Pros
Salary and benefits and time off allotments
Cons
Poor and incompetent management and team leaders, lazy workers as once you are permanent you can do what you want
My first contract was great!! Good instructions from very helpful supervisors and good interaction with employees

My second contract was very stressful With pressure from supervisor and very limited interaction with fellow employees who were upset at losing their jobs
Pros
Salary was good
Cons
Supervisor not engaged with employees
Created and configured analytic dashboards in IBM Cognos. Ensured compliance with established internal control procedures by examining records, reports, operating practices, and documentation. You receive training for almost everything,
Not a difficult task, great coworkers. Mostly involved calling those that did not file taxes. Had the opportunity to participate in a shadowing program for other departments and completed a new ideas project.
Management are very cut throat. They treat ppl like scum beneath their feet. The training is minimal and they expect a high amount of work to be done per hour even if you are doing it all wrong they dont care, they tell you just get it done and put the returns through. So....taxes are being done incorrectly?? All the managers want is their big bonus at the end of the tax season for having certain numbers of returns put through whether they are done properly or not
Pros
Overtime is nice when offered, stat holidays and after 3 months the paid sick days are nice to have
Cons
Lack of training and so much pressure and stress to rush through returns as fast as you can
Initiate contact with taxpayers, their representatives, and third parties to gather information and documents to collect outstanding amounts and resolve/refer compliance issues for an assigned workload and providing support to the clients in a Structured Decision-Making process to meet client’s expectations efficiently
The pay is great but it’s impossible to become a permanent employee. It could take years to receive a job there as you’re placed in pools until there is an opportunity where few people will be chosen. Often you get a small term job and the perms never leave. The managers are incompetent and don’t know anything about your job. Their job is basically to know your name. Bullying is very common because everyone is out for themselves each person wants their perm and will do anything for it.
Great. Must be focused and mature and want to succeed. Fast paced training . Show up on time. Be compliant and follow given instructions. They are great at making you feel comfortable using training. Don't hesitate to ask
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Canada Revenue Agency?
I just don't want to write anything.
I didn't have a great experience, but not a bad one either. I just got bored really easily compared to how difficult it is to get into the CRA in the first place, let alone going for a job you actually want.

Please read this and try your best to work around this. I wouldn't mind working in the mail room but i wasn't given the choice.
Good place to work but a slow work environment. Challenging and interesting but difficult to advance to more senior levels. Pay and benefits are the most attractive reasons for a career in GoC.
8 hours shift per day. Learned how to educate, assist and guide the customers who want to know their rights, their benefits and meet their tax obligations. Management was tough, meticulous and sometimes unfair. the work environment was healthy. the hardest part of the job was to satisfy, sometimes despotic requirement of direct supervisor. the most enjoyable part of the job used to be the rich relationship with peers.
Pros
Christmas eve party
Cons
lay off for certain periods
Workplace where you are able to learn new skills and meet great people. Work assigned to you is pretty easy to understand and to complete but very repetitive to xo on a daily basis.
The manager gave students meaningful assignments to help students gain as many experiences and skills as possible. The manager was helpful and thoughtful. The co-workers were friendly.
Stress free work that leaves work at work. Long training periods but easy work to catch onto, no take home work. High security. High rotation of employees and management.
Was a great place to work with excellent management and grown opportunities, was a great experience to learn optometric related duties and was a great feeling to help patients
Training provided for employees. Lots of support to help you do your job effectively. Employee Assistance Programs available to employees and family. Great team members!
It is a very nice place to work. Very friendly and pays well. Contracts aren’t that long but it is well worth it to take the contract and take more in the future
Working for the CRA is fun. The work is good, along with the pay. You get trained for whatever job it is that you are going for. They make sure that you understand everything that is being taught to you so that you can perform well.
The mentality is that of a 1980's corporate culture. There is no vision of how to make the organization more efficient. The salary and benefits are good.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canada Revenue Agency. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2