Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews

Terrible environment, no job security, terrible benefits
Finance and Admin Department (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 September 2018
Terrible work environment. Less than ideal management and coworkers. No sense of teamwork. Was let go because i did my work "too quickly" and they had no position for me.
Hard to get hired
Auditor - Disposition of Seasonal Properties (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON15 September 2018
Hired as a student after a full time placement, for the summer paid 14.52 an hour - less then the University student, as I was a College student. Found that very strange - as I was an accounting student with more accounting classes then the Trent Students hired at that time. Very difficult place to attain a job, unless you are a full time employee and want to move laterally.
I was not returning to school - so my contract was not renewed.
Pros
Great
Cons
Can't attain a job
Decent Place to Work
Student (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 September 2018
The CRA is similar to other government organizations in terms of work. It has good standards like work-life balance, decent pay, work hours etc.
If you live in Ottawa, I encourage learning French! (Difficult to advance otherwise)
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON9 September 2018
Good rate of pay and decent work schedule. People were nice and training was provided. The unfortunate part of the job was that the contracts are short.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Short contracts.
CRA work review
Taxpayer Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 September 2018
Great place to work, good training opportunities. Job security is not the strongest point of working with CRA since most opportunities are short term positions
It's an easy job, but mentally straining
Taxpayer Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 August 2018
I liked having a job where you work while you're there, and then when you're done for the day you're actually done. But the worst part about this place that they mainly do contract terms, where they just keep extending you a couple weeks or months at a time. It is very difficult to get a permanent position.
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
very micro managed
employee oriented organizaztion
National Technology Sector Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 August 2018
Management is supportive and encourages staff to think outside he box. Workplace culture is that of team work with each person contributing to the success of the organization.
Pros
Good pension benefits
Cons
promotion may be hard to come by
Slow-paced working environment
Tax Auditor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 August 2018
The pace is very slow as expected from a government job. People are generally nice but have met one person who were rude and racist. Limited growth and job advancement opportunity.
excelent carreer choice, good benefits
Manager Error Inspection & Taxpayer Contact (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 August 2018
I enjoyed my 18 years with the agency, I was sad to leave. They provide a safe, inclusive interesting place to work. the regular hours, great salaries and super benefits make it ne of the most desirable places to work in Canada.
Good Place to Work
Mail Selection & Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL9 August 2018
Good place to work if you get permanent job, but no job security or no guarantee of call back if you have a contractual job. Need to keep an eye for all upcoming jobs and related assessments to have a chance to get new contract
Pros
Good pay
Cons
no job security on contract
Great workplace with exceptional benefits
IT Developer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 August 2018
Great workplace with exceptional benefits. A typical day at work include responding to client inquiries and making required updates to the applications. I gained a lot of technical expertise from my mentor.
Data Entry Operator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 August 2018
hours were evenings - entered client tax information into data base for refunds/penalties - no stress - no phones - excellent training program - clean work environment -
Friendly and Professional
Research Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 August 2018
My manager and supervisors are very kind, friendly and professional, there are willing to help me and give me advice. I really appreciate my Co-op experience there.
Great work life balance as long as you dont mind pay issues
student (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 August 2018
Lots of opportunities, its more then just taxes, there are jobs in areas such as HR, criminal investigations, insolvency, security, etc.

Great work life balance

Phoenix pay system is still creating issues
productive and learning place
Estate Assessment Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 August 2018
It was nice place to work. My team and team manager was nice.
I had good relationship with my co-workers and mangers,when i was working at Ottawa, Ontario. I have good certificates from CRA.
Pros
Learn more
Cons
Na
Good solid job
Income Tax Assessor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 August 2018
Revenue Canada has changed considerably since 1988 when I last worked there. Not sure I can provide a reasonable review that would be relevant. Excellent place to learn and grow.
Great Place To Work
Assessment Processing Officer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 July 2018
If you're lucky to get your foot in the door, Canada Revenue Agency is a great place to work. Pay is good, flexible working conditions, friendly staff. Recommended.
Pros
Good Pay
Skills training
Clerical Work (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON27 July 2018
Great place to work. The agency is progressively improving, promoting individuality in the workplace.. I learned how to work on changing workflows , policies and agency guidelines. Our team had special occasions recognized for individual employees as well. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the workflow which is out of anyone's control as it is dependent on the season. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting positive feedback from the clients on the phone, and the feeling of accomplishment after each shift, and the fellow staff.
Pros
Independant task management
Cons
Seasonal work.
Friendly environment, people are friendly, management is responsive to needs and concerns
Non-Filer/Non Registrant Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 July 2018
Perform both Inbound and outbound related tasks. Provide answers to income tax inquiries from general public. Management regularly meets with workers to update us on new programs and methods by which we can improve the quality of the work. CRA encourages an atmosphere of diversity, respect and dedication to hard work.
No issues
General Duties Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON23 July 2018
Processed paper forms, decent earnings, flexible hours, secure and private. Challenging and competitive. No parking. Friendly workplace culture. Would work there again.