Canada Revenue Agency
Happiness score is 76 out of 100

Canada Revenue Agency Employee Reviews

5 years and counting as a young professional

I have worked here since the first year of my undergrad. It obviously depends what department you are in but the CRA is a great experience as a student and managers are good people who want you to succeed.

Pros

Easygoing

Cons

Typical Office Job

Truly one of the best places to work

This is a great place to work and serve your country.This is a fast paced and time critical working environment. The people here are dedicated professionals.Learning and adaptability are key assetts to success.

Pros

Perks and Benefits

Cons

Parking, Quotas, Time

Wish I could erase the experience from my memory. It was a nightmare!

Worst place I have ever worked and I am 55. Values and ethics are nothing but cheap talk. If you care about your health and well being DO NOT WORK HERE! Negative work atmosphere. You are a number in a cubicle. Daily verbal abuse and condescending attitude from team leader, and managers do nothing about it. Irrelevant training and information overload. Then they say you have had training now sink or swim. Constant pressure to perform. No recognition if a job well done. The money was not even close to enough to endure the daily nightmare of abuse, stress, and pressure. There probably are some good team leaders but do you want to work for an organization that would knowingly let this sort of thing go on.

Pros

Cons

Verbal abuse, stressful. Pretty much everything about the agency

Typical office job

Great team leaders and helpful staff. It’s all mostly teleworking from home which is nice. You do feel micromanaged but I guess that’s expected with teleworking

Great work/life balance

Great work life balance. Getting a job in the federal government takes some time, so dont expect to get a call/correspondence for months later. Training was very enjoyable even though, depending on the department, you are working from home. Managers offer great support.

Pros

benefits, work/life balance

Cons

Production based environment

Great Place to Work

The CRA is a great place to work when your on contract. There can be time in between contracts which can make it tough budgeting during that off time but when your there its great.

Very structured and fast paced

Lots of on the job training and additional help if and when required. Job is very task oriented fast paced stressful environment. Very policy and procedures oriented excellent soft skills required, being able to probe to further refine a callers question. Being able to defuse the situation.Really great work life balance, health and wellness programs are promoted and offered, EAP is offered, open door policy with team leaders and managers, great communication amongst other groups and areas.

Pros

Paid training, excellent benefits

Cons

Skill assessments that can impact your contract

Contact Centre

It's a call centre so I mean the job does have its issues. The biggest issue working for the CRA is that you are not considered a permanent employee until you've worked 3 consecutive years. So you bounce around either from contract extension to contract extension or job to job. There are no classical promotions - any other job you want, or position, you have to go through the official application process. The job itself is hit and miss, depends on the person calling in and their level of aggressiveness. That being said, the pay, benefits, and pension are fantastic. Management has been pretty good, with the team leader support being exemplary. There is also a good work life balance where you have a bit of freedom in creating 'compressed' schedules. As long as you're willing to put effort in, you will succeed.

Pros

Benefits, pay, support from supervisors and colleagues

Cons

True contract work, 95% of time on phone, callers who aren't happy, some stressful situations

Productive and fun workplace

I had a nice time getting to know my team and my group. We attended presentations, and made sure to have all the training before being on the phone with clients.

Extremely stressful work environment

I worked as an Assessment Processing Clerk for the CRA’s T1 Matching Program for two seasons; the program runs from September to January-February. I didn't like it at all: poor training, unrealistic production expectations, mistrust from individual taxpayers due to ongoing tax scams, inconsiderate and disrespectful team lead, and general lack of support and help from those whose job it was to support us and help us succeed. To be fair, some people really enjoyed working there, but this work environment is certainly not for everyone.

Pros

Decent remuneration

Cons

Poor training, unrealistic expectations, lots of stress

Excellent Job in Nova Scotia

The Nova Scotia offices (Halifax and Sydney) are excellent places to work. It is a very pleasant environment and management invests significant time into helping/training employees. The environment is very collaborative and almost everyone is willing to help. A large proportion of people working in Halifax are permanent employees and although there is a stigma around ‘lifers,’ the permanents are actually really great. As a new hire who was immediately tasked with working remotely due to COVID, it was very stressful at first but has gradually improved. Management was very patient and understanding with the new hires which was extremely helpful.As others have noted, this is not a regular collections job. This is the best/most interesting collections job available and if you have previous collections experience, you will thrive at this job.

Pros

Great management, collaborative environment, great pay

Cons

Very steep learning curve

Great work experience

I really enjoyed my time with the CRA and would consider going back. However, trough talking with friends and past coworkers it does seem to be very dependent on which team you land with. That is, most teams and managers are amazing, and some maybe less enjoyable.

Pros

Job security, relaxed environment, and enjoyable work

Cons

Learning French is necessary to advance

You are nothing more than a number

Training is atrocious. Hard to become a permanent employee. The training leaves a lot to be desired. When I was training and asking for help, I was told by a manager the cream rises to the top and the rest we drop. That’s when I decided to look for other employment.

Pros

Slightly above average pay

Cons

To many to list

C’est un environnement stable et bien organisé

J’ai toujours travaillé avec plein d’énergie parce que tous les employés étaient gentils et s’entraident entre eux. Il y’a des mauvaises journées aussi mais après tout, nous rentrons à la maison tout en oubliant le passé et espérant réjouir le lendemain.

Pros

Sauf en cas de réunion

Great benefits and work life balance

Poor hiring practices. Hiring is more focusd on filing quotas, rather than on experience.Limited chance for advancement, unless you are a visible minority. Toxic work environment. Poor collaboration among staff as a result of inexperienced management and constant competition for internal jobs. Excellent work life balance, benefits and time off. This is an area where the government is ahead of the curve.

Pros

Time off

Cons

Toxic cultiure and poor management

Good work life balance.

It is a good working environment where learning comes with application contemporaneously. Lots of support from management and fellow colleagues.Advancement in careers encouraged.

Fun workplace, with helpful mamagement

I found the work place very easy going and the training is excellent so is management. I really learned a lot while working there and it helped me to perfect some of my skills.

Pros

Very accommodating

Cons

Have to work a long time before you become permanent

Toxic environment, it's who you know not how well you perform

If you're too good at your job and don't know the right person then there is little to no opportunity to advance or even move laterally within the call centre. They also implemented a new training strategy when I was there in Nov 2018-2019 where instead of waiting until after your first year and raise to train you to take on more duties, they'd do so before meaning that you'd be doing more for less money.

Pros

Constant potlucks, great benefits, networking

Cons

Extreme favouritism, unprofessional managers, HR and unions are only out to protect their own reputations.

Mixed Experience

The training is excellent, but a lot of difficulties working from home, their network would often disconnect. If you love reading the same policy and procedures over and over for every call, this job is for you. You can never answer from your memory bank. In 5 weeks, I went through 3 managers. The 3rd one sent me a link to follow instructions to log into Pheonix pay system because I didn't get paid. Long story short, it wiped out everything on my computer. I was told I should not have downloaded the link. I just resigned at that point. They never set me up on direct deposit. My 1st paycheck came in the mail 4 weeks later by cheque. I'm still waiting to get paid for my last few weeks. If you have patience, for these types of issues for just a contract Job, than this job is for you. You are not guaranteed to be hired on full time. So don't quit your Job for this Job.

Pros

Good Pay

Cons

Monotonous

Excellent place of work. Would definitely recommend.

The people were all very professional and friendly. Lots of diversity and excellent work culture. The rules are very fair and transparent. Lots of training and opportunities for growth. Would love to work there again.

didn't pay me

the work overall was pointless. Management constantly rotates and it generates a craven & paranoid atmosphere about addressing any challenges. Hundreds of hours of work undone whenever the next boss shuffles in a few months later.

Pros

hard to fire anyone, plus management doesn't want to put in the effort

Cons

literally everything. Plus they don't pay you (google "Pheonix Pay")

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canada Revenue Agency. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4Job security/advancement