Canada Post logo
Canada Post

Canada Post Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Found 1,744 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,785 reviews

Flexible working time for me (3-11pm)

Not stressful, easy job, good pay. It likes a paid work-out to me. You have to pay the union fee ($90/month) even you work only one day.The co-works and the supervisors are friendly.

Pros

Good pay, low pressure at work.

Cons

Not consistent schedule for the part time worker.

Long process and hard work

High Union fees. Good company for long term stability. Start as a temp on call could take years before you get offered a permanent position. Extremely hard work. Walking in all weather while carrying heavy bags. Not for someone thinking it will be easy job to do. It's not. After 2 weeks of in class training which is basically watching videos and exams. You get 1 week on the job training. You think your good to go after until you get thrown in to a route on your own that's very hard to get all complete in time before your 8 hour shift ends. Also there is a mail sorting test at the end of all training. Needs 98% accuracy and if not passed you don't get the job. Also a fitness test is required. This involves walking up and down stairs and all around the room while carrying up to 50lbs. This just determins if your fit enough for the job.

Superintendents have personal agendas

If you Superintendent has a disliking of you your screwed! Management won't listen to you. They don't like people who think outside the box. Big machine, slow in changing.

Pros

Federal Goc job

Cons

Superintendents and Managers above you.

Stress

Le fait de pouvoir changer de poste à l interne et d avoir la facilité d une mutation partout au Canada en gardant son encientè, je trouve sa avantageux.La seule chose que je n ai pas aimé c est bien les circulaires. Lourds, prenent bcp de temps à la préparation et compliqué à gérer.

Pros

Sécurité d emploi

Cons

Stress

Toxic management and Unions

Worst choice of my life. Although the years of work have brought me transferable experience, it has taught me not the be complacent and have the courage to change yourself, Don't think that just because someone pays you that you are happy, I feel that Canada post is for those that want to do nothing but play the real life version of a drama filled survivor. Management doesn't care in real life they only do what is required to continue their facade. The unions barely get anything done. They work far below the expectation and those expectation are already tailored to be as relaxed as possible. If you not with the in crowd of management dont EVER expect them to develop you for advancement, your work will fall on the blind and deaf. Weak emotional people will go postal due to the toxicity of this MIckey Mouse Corporation. I can only hope for the privatisation of this corporation to restore and faith in this dysfunctional enterprise

Pros

pay

Cons

everything else.

Management team is horrible

Management team needs to learn about productivity and right use of resources. You can't make someone to do hard things all the times and care about your favorite employees. After working for Canada Post, Now I understand that, why customers are not getting their packages on time.

Pros

Free food, free stuff, break times, good wages

Cons

Favouritism and discrimination

No hours

After all the time from phone interview to finally training it was long process. Then once hired and Christmas was over - there was NO work to be had. Horrible to do all that work then get no hours. Not good security when providing for a family. Very disappointed with the end result of being hired but not get any hours

Pros

Wage is fair

Cons

No hours available for new hires

An Interesting Experience

I initially got hired as a Letter Carrier. Due to processing that wasn't available. I was then offered Seasonal Christmas help in the main facility sorting packages. The training was ok and the hours. Nice people that offered help but management was almost nonexistent. No help at all with the work or leadership. Completed the seasonal work with the intent to get training as a letter carrier. That training some how got put into question as they had too many letter carriers. I basically left graciously with mixed feelings. Quite disappointed overall. In fact, the supervisor new nothing about our departure dates....

Pros

Nice people, ease of job.

Cons

No guidance, very poor communication, very high Union dues benefit costs.

Polices Politics Politics

Good enough place to work. Should be paid better for the job. OK benefits. Training available. Need to be psychologically fit. No balance in the job content and politics.

Pros

flexible hours

Cons

weird teamwork environment

Excellent place to work

From management to team everybody is amazing. No stress there I enjoy my time being at work. Every team member gives a vibe like family and they help you learn and grow.

Jobs at Canada Post

See more jobs

Disorganized company

The more stupid and lazy you are the faster you move up in the company. ZERO support from management, everything is on your shoulders. If there is a problem you fix it and better be sure there are no mistakes. NO recognition for your hard work, no one listens to you when you tell them something then when **it hits the fan they come and put pressure on you. Managers are all lost, they know nothing but yet get all the praise. CUPW runs the company cause Canada Post has no **LLS to stand up to them. With the pandemic there is no protection, everyone is on top of everyone and they go against the rules of the provincial/federal government in QC. When it comes to your tasks There is ZERO communication, we find out info through the grape vine rather then from your manager and then are questioned as to why you did not do the task you were supposed too. Good luck moving up, managers will get who they want for the vacant position even if it means going against the PSAC collective agreement.....and PSAC does nothing to protect there employees. There are people who are not bilingual and are working in bilingual positions and getting paid an extra bonus and yet PSAC does nothing about it. There is big time favoritism, so even if you have the smarts and the knowledge they will take who they want......HR who does the hiring does nothing to stop this. The pay is decent, our pension is garbage and our benefits are so so.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Management, union, culture at canada post

Tough haul as a temp

The culture at CPC is akin to “dog eat dog”. Management seems to go out of their way to try and break new hires. They spend a lot of time nit-picking instead of trying to work with you.

Pros

Short days are possible

Cons

Long hours, poor management attitude

Great pay and great environment

Sort and deliver mail to boxes. Interact with diverse and interesting clientele. Feel accomplished at days end. Great benefits. Great team work. creating and maintaining lasting friendships.

Pros

Great Pay, Great Benefits, Great Environment, Paid Vacation

Cons

standing all day

Excellent

Great place to work. Supervisors are great. Workload can become overwhelming at times. Good workplace atmosphere to be around and best of all you will work alone when on a route and that makes for a nice day in my opinion.

Pros

Independent workdays

Cons

Low pay

Fast paced and I love it

I love my job Working for Canada post has changed my life I went from working dead end factory jobs to having a career. The work life balance is sometimes more work then life especially in peak seasons such as holidays. This job is for anyone that enjoys working alone but also working with the public.You have to be self motivated and prepared to walk I take between 40 and 50 thousand steps a day while carrying upwards of 35-50 pounds on your body.

Pros

Benefits, good pay, fast paced, no time to be bored

Cons

Can be very time consuming when you first start

Mail counter for route planning

The direction from management was very professional and always willing to assist when required. Given assignments daily while mail was counted. Enjoyed working with everyone at Canada Post.

Pros

Friendly atmosphere

Cons

Short Contract

great for students just entering the work force

unsustainable pay = next to nothing about min wage plus ten percent, which still deems it next to nothing You may as well said You volunteered working there

Pros

Cons

plenty

Never met nicer coworkers.

Very fast paced and physically demanding workplace. Long hours and a whole lot of overtime. Great coworkers. Can be alot of fun and great to be outdoors. Very easy to have an injury but for the most part they are very accommodating when you are injured. Not for anyone interested in a 9 to 5 job and definately not for everyone.

Pros

Very indipendant.

Cons

Long hours and physically demamding. Also weather and dogs!

It gets better as you gain experience and seniority.

It gets better as you gain experience and seniority. Unlike most work places, you are given the most difficult jobs when you start and the easier jobs as you gain experience and seniority.Most likely you will start as an OCR (On call Relief) - No benefits. Since you have no seniority when you start you will only be called when there is work that more senior OCR decline. This means that you would only deliver large, heavy and overflow packages from various route owners. (paid by the packages delivered plus mileage). Occasionally you will be called to do a route (mail + ads + packages) for a specific area on the same day due to a route owner calling in sick on that day. A route is paid on a flat rate regardless of volume for that day. You will also only be paid 85% of what a route owner would get paid for their route. Be expected to get spotty work for at least the first 6 month. You will not be able to support yourself if you don’t have a second source of income.Postal routes are not created equally. Some routes are more difficult than others and pay will vary from route to route. If you are doing a route for the first time be expected to take a significant amount of extra time to find the Community Mailboxes or to understand where and how to deliver to business, apartment, condo complexes or retirement homes. You will also have to sort the ads that day (most route owner will sort the day before). In addition, since you are at the lowest seniority, you are likely doing a longer harder route which will make it impossible for you to complete you route in daylight during the short -

Bel emploi mais...

Tous le monde commence par être sur appel...très dure d’avoir un poste permanent ou à temps partiel...

Pros

Bon salaire

Cons

Chance d’avancement très dure et long

A very US vs THEM environment with little to no training.

I can ony write this based on my own perscpective. My experience with Canada Post in this last year started off rocky. It was a very rushed interview/training process. I was hired as an on call/casual Rural and Suburban Letter Carrier. I was given some brief online training, and 3 days following one fella on his "Commercial" mail route. Which consists, of delivering mail and parcels to customers in commercial locations. This is QUITE a bit different than the daily grind an actual RSMC. And I was expected to do the job even though I'd never been properly trained, and didn't fully know what I was doing. I won't get into great detail here. But I can tell you from my perspective, that when you make a mistake, which is very easy to do with the rush training and the information overload that is the collective agreement that you're supposed to sign, and apparently have memorized! They don't even try to be understanding. They will try and convict you, with ZERO concrete evidence, only circumstantial evidence and their own personal oppinions to support their case. Your only options then are.. to accept it/or not .. if you accept it. It stays on record or possibly get you outright fired. If you don't, then you can file grievances towards the supervisors that have wronged you, and it could take years for it to even reach arbitration. In the meantime these "mistakes" you've made are on record, and done from the perspective of the supervisor, which means its saying some very nasty things about you! Now there are also people that love working for this company. I can see why as well. -

Pros

Pay

Cons

Over inflated collective agreement, Union moves WAY too slow to defend its worker, Supervisors can mess with you whenever they like with little to no repercussion to themselves, Can go weeks or months without getting called for work

3.3Job security/advancement