Canada Post logo

Canada Post Pay & benefits reviews

Clear
3.7Pay & benefits

Found 531 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,796 reviews

Flexible working time for me (3-11pm)

Not stressful, easy job, good pay. It likes a paid work-out to me. You have to pay the union fee ($90/month) even you work only one day.The co-works and the supervisors are friendly.

Pros

Good pay, low pressure at work.

Cons

Not consistent schedule for the part time worker.

Fall in line and shut your mouth

Overall a terrible place to work in my opinion. Innovation and efficiency are discouraged - ignorance and carbon copy unionized entitlement is praised

Pros

Not many

Cons

Too many

Modern Canada Post

This is not the job it used to be. Declining mail volume has given management all the leverage. The routes are way too long now, 800-1200 points of call is the new norm. Employee turnover is high, injuries are high, morale is low and it takes forever to get your own route. And yes, it will be a horrible route. Management has tried for decades to make the routes longer and they succeeded. As a relief carrier, you could be delivering mail until 8pm some days. Then back at it again the next day.

Pros

Good pay and benefits

Cons

Long hours, long routes, not enough help for relief carriers, injuries, management

Honest people doing an important job

The best thing about Canada Post is ' Safety First'. A typical day starts with a reminder from the supervisor that the workers should pay attention to their own safety and others more than anything else. In the training itself, they emphasized that if u put some parcel in the wrong container by mistake it's not the end of the world. Don't get hurt trying to retrieve it back. The presence of the union ensures the rights of workers. Payscale and benefits are appreciable. Although we do hope for more improvement, please. The workplace culture is admiring too. Most workers are helping each other out in a friendly manner with very few exceptions of course. Overall I am grateful to Canada Post for hiring me and giving me an opportunity to learn and grow while doing an important job with all those honest people. Thanks a lot!

Pros

Free lunches, t shirts, backpacks, coupons etc.

Cons

Physically straining at the peak times

Short shifts so the rest of your day is open

Early morning shifts are finished super early, so it doesn't interfere with other day jobs you have. Pay is good, but need to review paystubs a lot to make sure its accurate. Most people are good to work with, work is easy and very repetitive.

Pros

Relatively high pay for this area, shifts dont interfere with other working hours at second jobs

Cons

Short shifts, on casual roster for years before getting part time position, no guarantee of hours

Nice place to work

Productive fast pace environment, good co workers, good benefits and sometimes stressful,Good supervisors and very accommodating when you ask for guidance

Pros

Organize and safe work environment

Cons

Repetitive task

Modern day slavery at its finest

Way too heavy workload most days. Customer service is non existent based on this fact and you are forced to treat people poorly. I would avoid at all costs

Pros

Work by yourself

Cons

Long days, poor management, painfully dated technology and vehicles, on call, no benefits

3 out of 5 for a good place to work

great benefits not a bad wage ,management old school way of doing things . people are not treated the same , brown nosers get better treatment and they don,t care if its right in front of your face .

Pros

great work and time off balance, paid vacation

Cons

alot of management not so good

Not Recommended

Expectations are too high. Not a job for anyone with a family. Little support for the volume of work. Routes are too long. There needs to be a better way of dividing mail and parcels. No overtime paid. Very little support. If hired as a temp, you will be bounced around everywhere. Full timers off on vacation will leave all their work for temp to pick up.

Cons

Long hours, working in all types of weather, Routes are too long, no overtime.

Ok

you start as a temp, the only way to become full time is to seek out where in Canada you can transfer to that may have a better opportunity to obtain full timeif a full time position becomes available anyone from anywhere in Canada can transfer in and take itTemps don't get benefits, pension, but are relied on just as much as full timeyou get bumped around and can go weeks or months without work

Pros

pay is ok

Cons

can go many years before getting a perm position

Jobs at Canada Post

See more jobs

Great job

I love working at canada post. Training is good. Great place to work and wage is above fair. The job is not hard and is enjoyable. The only con is if you are a casual employee you don't get hours. I went 3 months without being called in for an assignment but when I do work I really enjoy the work.

Pros

Paid breaks

Cons

Not enough hours given

Long term employment

Reliable long term employment. Pension lots of responsibility Labour union comes with some disruption Start early in your life and retire early too. Best to apply through company website not other sites

Long term job?

It ok. Salary it good processing fromDay 1 to now have been very long. You have to be patient to have a part-time Position or a Permanent position they dont give a lot of hours

Pros

Good perk.

Cons

Some Staff are mean and Disrespectful. Dont respect the rules and dont care.

Canada Post can be a great place depending on what you want out of life

Like any other industry there are positives and negatives with this job. What I did was general labor, at times strenuous and depending on the department relaxed and slow. Letter carrying can be quite a challenge, but if you like to be challenged go for it. It can be enjoyable but it can also be overwhelming.The key to working at Canada Post in any of the plants is to work smart, so as not to cause any repetitive type strain injuries or any injury for that matter. In other words, do not over exert yourself and do try to get assistance lifting anything heavy and take your time. You will learn ways in which you can minimize strains while working there, but you may be seen as lazy by some. The important thing is to protect your health and well being. Do your part, an honest days work, but find ways to minimize the strain.There is room for advancement as supervisors are always needed and from there you can climb the ladder and get into other areas of administration. Supervisors though, are caught in the middle between a unionized workforce and trying to give upper management the numbers they want. One of the nicer things about Canada post is a half decent pay rate and ok benefits. The pay is good for unskilled labor even though the current starting rate is lower that those who have been there longer. The benefits are also 1/2 decent. It is nice to have paid sick time and vacation as well as health coverages such as dental and prescription. Some of these coverages could be better, but I guess we have to be thankful for what we have.An unfortunate thing about working there -

Pros

unionized, ok pay, some 1/2 decent benefits, some paid sick days, opportunities for advancement

Cons

monotonous, can be hard, heavy and hard on the body

Enjoy it a lot

Depending on the manager on, things are organized and I get my excersize. The pay is a bit low, it can be a bit stressful for 21 per hour. Hoping to advance to ft soon.

Rural Contractor/Sub-Contractor

Worked as a rural contractor/sub-contractor, sorting & delivering mail & parcels to cmb modules (postal boxes) and parcel delivery to the door. The pay is decent, however they do NOT take any deductions off your pay, so unless you have many deductions, you will end up having to pay the government HUGE income tax. Because I functioned as a fill-in (sub-contractor) for the contractor of the route, I was not entitled to any of the union benefits or perks, nor did I acquire any seniority, which made it difficult to apply for any other job postings from within, or have any chance of retaining my job when the contractor of the route retires. The job itself is okay, but it’s ridiculous that a crown corporation treats its personnel so unfairly, and although I was doing the exact job as the contractor, I was paid differently and without the same perks/benefits. This is a busy job position with many hoops to jump through, too many politics and shoddy treatment from the general public (due to misinformation on the part of Canada post and retailers). To anyone who thinks this job would be easy, I say RUN....IT ISN’T WORTH IT.

Pros

Working outside

Cons

Working outside, unfair treatment from company as well as general public

Great employer

Positive customer driven company. Management support and collaboration between functions is getting much better at the management level.It is indeed a great place to work.

Pros

Benefits, support staff, training

Cons

Occasional work load

It’s can be fun

I liked working for Canada post unfortunately I was only a person to take over for people when they needed time off or was sick so there wasn’t enough hours for me but if I could get a full time job with them I would take it

Pros

Every good pay

Cons

Driving all day and sometimes not getting home until late

Avoid unless you're a mule

At first I was excited to work at Canada Post. I'll make a difference I told myself. Boy was I wrong! You come in as a temporary relief carrier. Good luck being full-time permanent as that means they would have to pay you benefits, can't have that! It means you are at the bottom of the barrel. Working outside isn't the issue it's actually a relief being outside away from the depot. Experienced carriers will keep being surprised that you're staying and will tell you. Wear and tear of your body will come quickly. Many older carriers all have some form of injury or surgery that needed to be done related to the job. During the holidays, expect to be the biggest mule in North America. Some routes are very heavy on parcels and packets. Expect to walk at minimum 20+kms per day. Same goes for junk mails...ops, I meant flyers or neighborhood mail. Some routes will have 3-4 of them. Others will have 8 to 12 of them. Management is hit or miss, literally. They might give you the almighty speeches about caring about you and your safety, but they care more about the bottom line than you the employee lining their pockets. I used to hear this joke about how their step vans were held together by gum and tape...it's not a joke in actuality because they are in the inside. The union doesn't give 2 cents as long their overloads are with them. Company is ran like it's the 60's...

Pros

working outside

Cons

management, useless union, no modern equipment for carriers or vehicles

Very difficult, high stress, toxic environment

One of the most difficult jobs you can do. The workload is overwhelmingly heavy. Be prepared to walk over 100kms a week your feet will have blisters the 2nd day on your job. The people are toxic, and the management doesnt care about anybody aslong as they have the easy job sitting at the desk all day. Taxes and the amount of deductions from your paycheck are very high. Overall not a very good environment very stressful.

Pros

Pay is decent buy your really working for it

Cons

Stressful, physically and emotionally exhausting, feeling overwhelmed everyday, taxes and deductions are high, toxic environment, employees are rude, very undervalued, no respect for essential workers, can never trust anybody in this compnay.

You have to fit the mould

Culture is very political. You do not fit the mould, you might get put on a performance plan, or worst intimidated by colleagues and/or supervisors to enter in the circle.

Pros

Pension Plan, benefits

Cons

Culture, salary, expectations

3.3Job security/advancement