Canada Post logo
Happiness score is 72 out of 100Above average

Canada Post Management reviews

Clear

Found 611 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,797 reviews

Hard to get into and political

The term positions are garbage and especially in small towns the work places are so political and the people generally suck. If you get over all that and land a long term position you’re all set.

Pros

Fair pay

Cons

Political

Toxic Management Culture

70 years of horrible labour relations led to a culture of nepotism, punitive labour culture. Targeting and harrassment of certain workers from.mgt for their own career advancement. Punitive not corrective discipline. An overburdened workforce given unrealistic workloads designed on covertly manipulated work measurements data. And the workers are blamed not the workload. Seniority system ensures new hires wirkave hardest work for less pay forced upon them through legislation.

Pros

Unionized

Cons

Toxic culture

Disorganized and petty

Management is horrible to work for. They do not even care enough to provide fans in the summer. All management care about is their bonuses! Sadly disappointed ☹️ Union only cares about full time letter carriers. No care for part time or casual employees or inside depot workers. Union is horrible and self serving. I would opt out if I could.

Pros

Pay is good

Cons

Management. No training

Fall in line and shut your mouth

Overall a terrible place to work in my opinion. Innovation and efficiency are discouraged - ignorance and carbon copy unionized entitlement is praised

Pros

Not many

Cons

Too many

oui

Une entreprise ou les travailleurs font leur ambiance de travail.

Pros

Plusieurs postes ouvrent souvent.

Cons

Les superviseurs des fois connaissent pas bien leur travail.

Modern Canada Post

This is not the job it used to be. Declining mail volume has given management all the leverage. The routes are way too long now, 800-1200 points of call is the new norm. Employee turnover is high, injuries are high, morale is low and it takes forever to get your own route. And yes, it will be a horrible route. Management has tried for decades to make the routes longer and they succeeded. As a relief carrier, you could be delivering mail until 8pm some days. Then back at it again the next day.

Pros

Good pay and benefits

Cons

Long hours, long routes, not enough help for relief carriers, injuries, management

Horrible

The management is dishonest and if they don't like you good luck. You get bullied and made fun of if you have a medical condition. They expect you to do the job at the same pace as someone who's been doing it for 14 years. Even if you haven't been at the job for even a year. I call in sick because I'm tired of dealing with the stupidity and constantly being targeted for the smallest mistake so they have a reason to write me up and give me a little letter that's dated a year ago. They always say the same thing besides two words. I ask my co-workers what I do wrong and they all say that I do my job the way I'm supposed to. I now see why they're going thru employee's like cereal boxes.

Pros

Union, Good pay, new friendships.

Cons

Repetitive, Horrible management

Worst company

Worst place I ever worked at so unorganized. Managers have not clue what they are doing, and they have never actually been a letter carrier. If you like to deliver mail in -40, +40, carry heavy mail bags, dogs that may attack you, in a rain storm and then get in trouble because the mail is wet. Then this is the right job for you. Don’t forget your dog spray. If they don’t have work for you at the station be prepared to drive your own car to another location.

Pros

15km a day walking in fantastic weather. Rain or shine.

Cons

You will get in trouble for everything.

Very supportive office atmosphere

Couldn't be happier with the people I work with at Canada Post!Haven't really had to deal much with management but when I did I had no issues.Comfortable work atmosphere, I enjoy working with the public and providing a necessary service.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Not working enough to remember everything but do have supports to assist

Modern day slavery at its finest

Way too heavy workload most days. Customer service is non existent based on this fact and you are forced to treat people poorly. I would avoid at all costs

Pros

Work by yourself

Cons

Long days, poor management, painfully dated technology and vehicles, on call, no benefits

Jobs at Canada Post

See more jobs

3 out of 5 for a good place to work

great benefits not a bad wage ,management old school way of doing things . people are not treated the same , brown nosers get better treatment and they don,t care if its right in front of your face .

Pros

great work and time off balance, paid vacation

Cons

alot of management not so good

Fast paced workplace with support from management

Working as a Letter Carrier at Canada Post is a great job. You work at your own pace and are paid a fair wage. When I started I struggled with the different routes I worked as I was new to the city. But management supported me and helped me get the hang of the job. Support from your fellow colleagues is more hit and miss. While almost all my colleagues have a generous and supportive nature, as a Letter Carrier, you are more out on your own. Easy to get time off and opportunities throughout the year to earn overtime. The weather can be daunting but proper dress and attitude make all the difference.

Pros

Get to set your own pace - strong sense of accomplishment when route is finished

Cons

Some days have more mail/parcels making things a bit stressful (but I'm still new)

Horrible Management

You will be loaded up like a pack mule almost every day. Management will lie straight to your face. Management is not transparent in any way but they expect you to be. There is supposedly a weight limit on how much you can carry at a time, but management does not care about that. You will have many days where you cannot fit everything necessary into your bag, but you have to find a way to carry it all. I was told that it is acceptable to bring a few pieces of mail back to the depot (if you missed a few houses by accident, or something like that) but then got yelled at by management for doing so. I was on Covid leave in December of 2020 due to possible exposure while working in the main plant in Saskatoon. While on Covid leave, my supervisor would call and text almost every day to see when I would be back to work. Routes are too long, days are too heavy, and management does nothing to help alleviate this.

Pros

The work day can be done in under 8 hours, if you're fast enough and if it's a light mail day.

Cons

Management, being overworked almost every day, unappreciated and disrespected

Canada Post can be a great place depending on what you want out of life

Like any other industry there are positives and negatives with this job. What I did was general labor, at times strenuous and depending on the department relaxed and slow. Letter carrying can be quite a challenge, but if you like to be challenged go for it. It can be enjoyable but it can also be overwhelming.The key to working at Canada Post in any of the plants is to work smart, so as not to cause any repetitive type strain injuries or any injury for that matter. In other words, do not over exert yourself and do try to get assistance lifting anything heavy and take your time. You will learn ways in which you can minimize strains while working there, but you may be seen as lazy by some. The important thing is to protect your health and well being. Do your part, an honest days work, but find ways to minimize the strain.There is room for advancement as supervisors are always needed and from there you can climb the ladder and get into other areas of administration. Supervisors though, are caught in the middle between a unionized workforce and trying to give upper management the numbers they want. One of the nicer things about Canada post is a half decent pay rate and ok benefits. The pay is good for unskilled labor even though the current starting rate is lower that those who have been there longer. The benefits are also 1/2 decent. It is nice to have paid sick time and vacation as well as health coverages such as dental and prescription. Some of these coverages could be better, but I guess we have to be thankful for what we have.An unfortunate thing about working there -

Pros

unionized, ok pay, some 1/2 decent benefits, some paid sick days, opportunities for advancement

Cons

monotonous, can be hard, heavy and hard on the body

Would rate -10 if I could

This company takes advantage of their employees, has a horrible work culture and hires anybody that applies. Management treats you like an animal and the union doesn't really help either. It's all smoke and mirrors with this place.

Pros

Cons

No breaks, poor management, lack of advancement

Depends on what depot you are at

I loved working in Hamilton, they were understanding and flexible. Cambridge - Galt was worse, with one new manager not understanding her employee's needs and how to retain talent. You get trucks in Hamilton, which makes winter easier, but Cambridge is walking only, so pretty terrible in - 20 degree weather.

Pros

By yourself a lot, lots of outdoors and exercise

Cons

Cold weather, walking routes are very hard, management

Great employer

Positive customer driven company. Management support and collaboration between functions is getting much better at the management level.It is indeed a great place to work.

Pros

Benefits, support staff, training

Cons

Occasional work load

Avoid unless you're a mule

At first I was excited to work at Canada Post. I'll make a difference I told myself. Boy was I wrong! You come in as a temporary relief carrier. Good luck being full-time permanent as that means they would have to pay you benefits, can't have that! It means you are at the bottom of the barrel. Working outside isn't the issue it's actually a relief being outside away from the depot. Experienced carriers will keep being surprised that you're staying and will tell you. Wear and tear of your body will come quickly. Many older carriers all have some form of injury or surgery that needed to be done related to the job. During the holidays, expect to be the biggest mule in North America. Some routes are very heavy on parcels and packets. Expect to walk at minimum 20+kms per day. Same goes for junk mails...ops, I meant flyers or neighborhood mail. Some routes will have 3-4 of them. Others will have 8 to 12 of them. Management is hit or miss, literally. They might give you the almighty speeches about caring about you and your safety, but they care more about the bottom line than you the employee lining their pockets. I used to hear this joke about how their step vans were held together by gum and tape...it's not a joke in actuality because they are in the inside. The union doesn't give 2 cents as long their overloads are with them. Company is ran like it's the 60's...

Pros

working outside

Cons

management, useless union, no modern equipment for carriers or vehicles

Caustic Supervisors and Managers spoil what could be a good job. HIGH risk of injury.

Working at Canada Post was the most stressful job I had in MANY years. - the work is physically demanding - and that part was great - wonderful way to get in shape walking if you are a Letter Carrier. Now the bulk of the manual sorting is done - so perhaps that means that the worker can spend LESS time IN the office / Delivery Centre. STAY AWAY FROM MANAGEMENT.In my opinion - Management or lack of effective management is THE problem at Canada Post. I met and was honoured to work with many hard-working people who knew how to move mail. But they all worked overnight shifts - - and they did this by choice - because that is where all the brand new supervisors and managers get sent - so the long-term workers go there for less hassle. THEY teach the supervisors who are smart enough to learn.MOST of the supervisors and managers are so negative they are caustic. They make a physically demanding job that CAN be fun - dangerous. In My Opinion Supervisors who regularly coerced workers back to duty before they had properly-recovered from injuries - is why my body still aches needlessly today. The act of dealing with the weather, customers and physically delivering the mail - - is nothing - compared to the joke of trying to work for the current management. They manage - by disciplinary action. Or that was my overall experience after almost ten years as both a driver of all sizes of vehicles and as a Letter Carrier in Depots in more than one province.

Pros

You get great exercise if you want it - and you get to go home at night.

Cons

Terrible Management and high risk of damage to your body: if not acute, by injury, long-term damage to joints, like arthritis, is VERY likely.

Very difficult, high stress, toxic environment

One of the most difficult jobs you can do. The workload is overwhelmingly heavy. Be prepared to walk over 100kms a week your feet will have blisters the 2nd day on your job. The people are toxic, and the management doesnt care about anybody aslong as they have the easy job sitting at the desk all day. Taxes and the amount of deductions from your paycheck are very high. Overall not a very good environment very stressful.

Pros

Pay is decent buy your really working for it

Cons

Stressful, physically and emotionally exhausting, feeling overwhelmed everyday, taxes and deductions are high, toxic environment, employees are rude, very undervalued, no respect for essential workers, can never trust anybody in this compnay.

You have to fit the mould

Culture is very political. You do not fit the mould, you might get put on a performance plan, or worst intimidated by colleagues and/or supervisors to enter in the circle.

Pros

Pension Plan, benefits

Cons

Culture, salary, expectations

3.3Job security/advancement