Canada Post logo

Clear
3.3Job security & advancement

Found 568 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,796 reviews

Good career companu

Great opportunities for advancement with great pay scale and pension plan. Safety is paramount. Work and life balance excellent.can transfer to positions any where in Canada

Pros

Very safe place to work

Cons

Have to start as casual at first

Toxic Management Culture

70 years of horrible labour relations led to a culture of nepotism, punitive labour culture. Targeting and harrassment of certain workers from.mgt for their own career advancement. Punitive not corrective discipline. An overburdened workforce given unrealistic workloads designed on covertly manipulated work measurements data. And the workers are blamed not the workload. Seniority system ensures new hires wirkave hardest work for less pay forced upon them through legislation.

Pros

Unionized

Cons

Toxic culture

Fall in line and shut your mouth

Overall a terrible place to work in my opinion. Innovation and efficiency are discouraged - ignorance and carbon copy unionized entitlement is praised

Pros

Not many

Cons

Too many

oui

Une entreprise ou les travailleurs font leur ambiance de travail.

Pros

Plusieurs postes ouvrent souvent.

Cons

Les superviseurs des fois connaissent pas bien leur travail.

Ok

you start as a temp, the only way to become full time is to seek out where in Canada you can transfer to that may have a better opportunity to obtain full timeif a full time position becomes available anyone from anywhere in Canada can transfer in and take itTemps don't get benefits, pension, but are relied on just as much as full timeyou get bumped around and can go weeks or months without work

Pros

pay is ok

Cons

can go many years before getting a perm position

Long term employment

Reliable long term employment. Pension lots of responsibility Labour union comes with some disruption Start early in your life and retire early too. Best to apply through company website not other sites

Canada Post can be a great place depending on what you want out of life

Like any other industry there are positives and negatives with this job. What I did was general labor, at times strenuous and depending on the department relaxed and slow. Letter carrying can be quite a challenge, but if you like to be challenged go for it. It can be enjoyable but it can also be overwhelming.The key to working at Canada Post in any of the plants is to work smart, so as not to cause any repetitive type strain injuries or any injury for that matter. In other words, do not over exert yourself and do try to get assistance lifting anything heavy and take your time. You will learn ways in which you can minimize strains while working there, but you may be seen as lazy by some. The important thing is to protect your health and well being. Do your part, an honest days work, but find ways to minimize the strain.There is room for advancement as supervisors are always needed and from there you can climb the ladder and get into other areas of administration. Supervisors though, are caught in the middle between a unionized workforce and trying to give upper management the numbers they want. One of the nicer things about Canada post is a half decent pay rate and ok benefits. The pay is good for unskilled labor even though the current starting rate is lower that those who have been there longer. The benefits are also 1/2 decent. It is nice to have paid sick time and vacation as well as health coverages such as dental and prescription. Some of these coverages could be better, but I guess we have to be thankful for what we have.An unfortunate thing about working there -

Pros

unionized, ok pay, some 1/2 decent benefits, some paid sick days, opportunities for advancement

Cons

monotonous, can be hard, heavy and hard on the body

Would rate -10 if I could

This company takes advantage of their employees, has a horrible work culture and hires anybody that applies. Management treats you like an animal and the union doesn't really help either. It's all smoke and mirrors with this place.

Pros

Cons

No breaks, poor management, lack of advancement

A great palce to work

I did my internship at Canada Post and I was so pleased with my experience. I had a well-organized onboarding procedure and the culture was amazing. Very diverse place that everyone in the team was so helpful.

Pros

Culture, work flexibilty, diversity

Questions will take forever to be answered if at all

Worked casual;y for a short while. Applied for a follow-up job. More than 90% of the applicants got an interview. I was part of the 10% that didn't even receive an email. All questions to them from me and even supervisors went unanswered. Too bad because I was an excellent employee and loved my job.

Pros

Union cares about Safety, pays good, great co-workers

Cons

Getting anything done through the channels is not possible.

Jobs at Canada Post

See more jobs

Toxic environment

I gave up another job to work at Canada Post and it was the worst mistake I ever made. Zero training, very toxic environment, no one does their job and it's all who you know if you want to advance within the organization. I liked the job but the letter carrier's are awful and management even worst. No one helps each other out and no one thinks twice to throw you under the bus and spread lies. Extremely disappointing for my career but at the end of the day, it was their loss!

Pros

Good pension

Cons

Toxic environment, back stabbing, zero support

Stress

Le fait de pouvoir changer de poste à l interne et d avoir la facilité d une mutation partout au Canada en gardant son encientè, je trouve sa avantageux.La seule chose que je n ai pas aimé c est bien les circulaires. Lourds, prenent bcp de temps à la préparation et compliqué à gérer.

Pros

Sécurité d emploi

Cons

Stress

Toxic management and Unions

Worst choice of my life. Although the years of work have brought me transferable experience, it has taught me not the be complacent and have the courage to change yourself, Don't think that just because someone pays you that you are happy, I feel that Canada post is for those that want to do nothing but play the real life version of a drama filled survivor. Management doesn't care in real life they only do what is required to continue their facade. The unions barely get anything done. They work far below the expectation and those expectation are already tailored to be as relaxed as possible. If you not with the in crowd of management dont EVER expect them to develop you for advancement, your work will fall on the blind and deaf. Weak emotional people will go postal due to the toxicity of this MIckey Mouse Corporation. I can only hope for the privatisation of this corporation to restore and faith in this dysfunctional enterprise

Pros

pay

Cons

everything else.

No hours

After all the time from phone interview to finally training it was long process. Then once hired and Christmas was over - there was NO work to be had. Horrible to do all that work then get no hours. Not good security when providing for a family. Very disappointed with the end result of being hired but not get any hours

Pros

Wage is fair

Cons

No hours available for new hires

An Interesting Experience

I initially got hired as a Letter Carrier. Due to processing that wasn't available. I was then offered Seasonal Christmas help in the main facility sorting packages. The training was ok and the hours. Nice people that offered help but management was almost nonexistent. No help at all with the work or leadership. Completed the seasonal work with the intent to get training as a letter carrier. That training some how got put into question as they had too many letter carriers. I basically left graciously with mixed feelings. Quite disappointed overall. In fact, the supervisor new nothing about our departure dates....

Pros

Nice people, ease of job.

Cons

No guidance, very poor communication, very high Union dues benefit costs.

Polices Politics Politics

Good enough place to work. Should be paid better for the job. OK benefits. Training available. Need to be psychologically fit. No balance in the job content and politics.

Pros

flexible hours

Cons

weird teamwork environment

Disorganized company

The more stupid and lazy you are the faster you move up in the company. ZERO support from management, everything is on your shoulders. If there is a problem you fix it and better be sure there are no mistakes. NO recognition for your hard work, no one listens to you when you tell them something then when **it hits the fan they come and put pressure on you. Managers are all lost, they know nothing but yet get all the praise. CUPW runs the company cause Canada Post has no **LLS to stand up to them. With the pandemic there is no protection, everyone is on top of everyone and they go against the rules of the provincial/federal government in QC. When it comes to your tasks There is ZERO communication, we find out info through the grape vine rather then from your manager and then are questioned as to why you did not do the task you were supposed too. Good luck moving up, managers will get who they want for the vacant position even if it means going against the PSAC collective agreement.....and PSAC does nothing to protect there employees. There are people who are not bilingual and are working in bilingual positions and getting paid an extra bonus and yet PSAC does nothing about it. There is big time favoritism, so even if you have the smarts and the knowledge they will take who they want......HR who does the hiring does nothing to stop this. The pay is decent, our pension is garbage and our benefits are so so.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Management, union, culture at canada post

Fast paced and I love it

I love my job Working for Canada post has changed my life I went from working dead end factory jobs to having a career. The work life balance is sometimes more work then life especially in peak seasons such as holidays. This job is for anyone that enjoys working alone but also working with the public.You have to be self motivated and prepared to walk I take between 40 and 50 thousand steps a day while carrying upwards of 35-50 pounds on your body.

Pros

Benefits, good pay, fast paced, no time to be bored

Cons

Can be very time consuming when you first start

Bel emploi mais...

Tous le monde commence par être sur appel...très dure d’avoir un poste permanent ou à temps partiel...

Pros

Bon salaire

Cons

Chance d’avancement très dure et long

A very US vs THEM environment with little to no training.

I can ony write this based on my own perscpective. My experience with Canada Post in this last year started off rocky. It was a very rushed interview/training process. I was hired as an on call/casual Rural and Suburban Letter Carrier. I was given some brief online training, and 3 days following one fella on his "Commercial" mail route. Which consists, of delivering mail and parcels to customers in commercial locations. This is QUITE a bit different than the daily grind an actual RSMC. And I was expected to do the job even though I'd never been properly trained, and didn't fully know what I was doing. I won't get into great detail here. But I can tell you from my perspective, that when you make a mistake, which is very easy to do with the rush training and the information overload that is the collective agreement that you're supposed to sign, and apparently have memorized! They don't even try to be understanding. They will try and convict you, with ZERO concrete evidence, only circumstantial evidence and their own personal oppinions to support their case. Your only options then are.. to accept it/or not .. if you accept it. It stays on record or possibly get you outright fired. If you don't, then you can file grievances towards the supervisors that have wronged you, and it could take years for it to even reach arbitration. In the meantime these "mistakes" you've made are on record, and done from the perspective of the supervisor, which means its saying some very nasty things about you! Now there are also people that love working for this company. I can see why as well. -

Pros

Pay

Cons

Over inflated collective agreement, Union moves WAY too slow to defend its worker, Supervisors can mess with you whenever they like with little to no repercussion to themselves, Can go weeks or months without getting called for work

Fun place to work as long as you are partnered up

I enjoyed being an ergonomic assistant with Canada post. If you find the right partner to work with it can be enjoyable. Be prepared for any weather. No job is completely secure Things change quick in this industry

Pros

Being a passenger And not using my own vehicle

Cons

Long hours and sorting

3.3Job security/advancement