Canada Post

Canada Post Pay & benefits reviews: Postal Clerk

Clear
3.7Pay & benefits

Found 83 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,812 reviews

Flexible working time for me (3-11pm)

Not stressful, easy job, good pay. It likes a paid work-out to me. You have to pay the union fee ($90/month) even you work only one day.The co-works and the supervisors are friendly.

Pros

Good pay, low pressure at work.

Cons

Not consistent schedule for the part time worker.

Honest people doing an important job

The best thing about Canada Post is ' Safety First'. A typical day starts with a reminder from the supervisor that the workers should pay attention to their own safety and others more than anything else. In the training itself, they emphasized that if u put some parcel in the wrong container by mistake it's not the end of the world. Don't get hurt trying to retrieve it back. The presence of the union ensures the rights of workers. Payscale and benefits are appreciable. Although we do hope for more improvement, please. The workplace culture is admiring too. Most workers are helping each other out in a friendly manner with very few exceptions of course. Overall I am grateful to Canada Post for hiring me and giving me an opportunity to learn and grow while doing an important job with all those honest people. Thanks a lot!

Pros

Free lunches, t shirts, backpacks, coupons etc.

Cons

Physically straining at the peak times

Short shifts so the rest of your day is open

Early morning shifts are finished super early, so it doesn't interfere with other day jobs you have. Pay is good, but need to review paystubs a lot to make sure its accurate. Most people are good to work with, work is easy and very repetitive.

Pros

Relatively high pay for this area, shifts dont interfere with other working hours at second jobs

Cons

Short shifts, on casual roster for years before getting part time position, no guarantee of hours

Nice place to work

Productive fast pace environment, good co workers, good benefits and sometimes stressful,Good supervisors and very accommodating when you ask for guidance

Pros

Organize and safe work environment

Cons

Repetitive task

Great job

I love working at canada post. Training is good. Great place to work and wage is above fair. The job is not hard and is enjoyable. The only con is if you are a casual employee you don't get hours. I went 3 months without being called in for an assignment but when I do work I really enjoy the work.

Pros

Paid breaks

Cons

Not enough hours given

Long term employment

Reliable long term employment. Pension lots of responsibility Labour union comes with some disruption Start early in your life and retire early too. Best to apply through company website not other sites

Canada Post can be a great place depending on what you want out of life

Like any other industry there are positives and negatives with this job. What I did was general labor, at times strenuous and depending on the department relaxed and slow. Letter carrying can be quite a challenge, but if you like to be challenged go for it. It can be enjoyable but it can also be overwhelming.The key to working at Canada Post in any of the plants is to work smart, so as not to cause any repetitive type strain injuries or any injury for that matter. In other words, do not over exert yourself and do try to get assistance lifting anything heavy and take your time. You will learn ways in which you can minimize strains while working there, but you may be seen as lazy by some. The important thing is to protect your health and well being. Do your part, an honest days work, but find ways to minimize the strain.There is room for advancement as supervisors are always needed and from there you can climb the ladder and get into other areas of administration. Supervisors though, are caught in the middle between a unionized workforce and trying to give upper management the numbers they want. One of the nicer things about Canada post is a half decent pay rate and ok benefits. The pay is good for unskilled labor even though the current starting rate is lower that those who have been there longer. The benefits are also 1/2 decent. It is nice to have paid sick time and vacation as well as health coverages such as dental and prescription. Some of these coverages could be better, but I guess we have to be thankful for what we have.An unfortunate thing about working there -

Pros

unionized, ok pay, some 1/2 decent benefits, some paid sick days, opportunities for advancement

Cons

monotonous, can be hard, heavy and hard on the body

Great pay and great environment

Sort and deliver mail to boxes. Interact with diverse and interesting clientele. Feel accomplished at days end. Great benefits. Great team work. creating and maintaining lasting friendships.

Pros

Great Pay, Great Benefits, Great Environment, Paid Vacation

Cons

standing all day

High School all over again

If you miss high school and are longing for a sense of nostalgia, Canada Post is the place to be. Gossip, gossip, and more gossip. Workplace culture is abysmal at best; sexism (extremely misogynistic), racism, and surprise surprise there is always the issue of language. As a new employee, if you're very productive, you're told to slow down and work at a slower pace by colleagues because you won't have enough work to do and they might send you home. If you work slowly a supervisor can and most likely will get irritated with you and think you're lazy. Sure the benefits are great, but you have to suffer through 480 long brutal hours to become permanent, and if you succeed, you'll probably be rewarded by being tossed over to the night shift.

Pros

flexible hours, benefits if you are a permanent employee

Cons

everything and anything you can think of

Nice to work with canada post

Nice place to work and management is very helpful too. Work Environment is very safe . I must say whenever you have the opportunity to get it in you should join . Benefits are really good .

Jobs at Canada Post

Postal Clerk positions
See more jobs

Mechanical job

The pay is good as far as a new immigrant like me is concerned. The supervisors are not good and some are worse , they think we are all fools and try to act smart . The job is a mechanical job , there is not much to learn and the regular staff are all lazy and they run the show with on call staffs .There is no after work pressure and the salary is 21’17

Pros

Pay

Cons

Management . Work culture

flexible work

Working for government seems like an awesome idea with decent pay but after all the training fingerprinting background cheeks and all the testing you are ready to rock hard but unfortunately what they don't tell you that you start as a casual worker, call into work maybe few times a month and regardless how many hours you work you will have to pay union dues $98. Which will most likely make you work for less then minimum vague. And then you will hope that some day you can become part time worker well make sure you ready to wait 2 to 3 years as it goes by seniority.

Pros

security

Cons

not good pay after union dues

Not bad depending on location

Would have stayed if I was able to get another location. My manager was very rude. Found out I was left handed and said if she knew during interview she wouldn't have hired me.

Pros

Pay, benefits rtc

Cons

Management in my area

Good company to work for

Good starting wage for entry levels, good company to work for with good union. Benefits only for permanent staffs..only downside is the long waiting time to get a permanent status for casuals.

Quite straight forward

Working environment is like a family if co workers and supervisors happen to co operate . In case they are not then it’s difficult to work with mental stress every moment , not worth it.

Pros

Good pay not much work pressure

Cons

Working in shifts is some time not suitable to one physical condition

Happy Place

I cant comment much on working at Canada Post as I am on call temporary employee. The overall environment though is congenial and people are nice. As far as benefits and salary are concerned I may not be able to provide the feedback as I am not permanent or get to have definitive working hours,

Great company

If you can handle the different requirements they have then it is worth sticking around. Starting off on call is difficult but worth it to have a stable job.

Canada's crown Corporation- A rip off

So the Canada's big jewel, it's crown corporation is held hostage at hands of CUPW? Is the managmeent in on this? Looks like so. So Started in as casual, you get called whenever they require you but most often it happens atleast once per paycheque. Do they care about you, um no but it does seem like the CUPW care about their monthly &80 per pay cheque.. You come in work hard for 8 hrs and get paid only half of this because the union fees are to be deducted, this happened more than twice and is a pattern. A complete rip-off is what i will call this CUPW, shame on their slogan "the struggle continues"

Canada post summary

Federal employer that offers flexible work opportunities and great benefits. The culture is fairly good, however tension between labour and management exists.

you will not have any benifits for over a year/ work is very unexpected

you will be placed on call for over a year. you don't know when you will be called. when you are on call you have no benifits. it take over a year some times 2 years to even become part time. you get almost no work during none peak season. you don't know when they will call you. work is good but people who work there are very self centered. because the work place is union alot of senior people are really picky and lazy and make you on call people to do that work because you are not protected like the regular staff.

Great place to work,good support from co-workers,positive environment

I liked working at Canada Post and this company provided me with skills i think will help me with my interest in finding another job, after being retired for 2 years i am now looking to rejoin the workforce

Pros

Great benefits

3.3Job security/advancement

Compare Canada Post with

• Canada Post
  • Postal Clerk
  • Pay & Benefits
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?