Canada Post

Postal Clerk251 reviews
Canada251 reviews

Found 251 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,998 reviews
parcelpostmaillettercarrierroutesortingunion

Good pay for the work you have to do.

Boring job at times and advancement is based on seniority (hiring date) and not on merit.Sometimes job is very physically demanding and tiring but does not require alot of skill.

Pros

flexibility, pay, benefits

Cons

physically demanding at times, no recognition of good work ethic

Easy work, but to get permanent takes a long time

Work is easy( manual work)4 years or more to get permanent full time at processing plant.If you want to get permanent faster you would have to apply as a letter carrier then transfer to the plant if you want more options of schedule which include evenings and nights.

Insights into Canada Post

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Competitive wages and friendly staff

Typical day involves sorting, pushing and pulling on your feet all day. Coworkers are extremely friendly and supervisors are always around to help with your questions.

Pros

Coworkers

Bussy during the Christmas season and average the rest of the year.

High salary better benefits. Job security and friendly environment. There are different department to choose from so with the shift, whatever is best for your family. Management will accommodate you as much as they could if you need accommodation.

Worst environment to work in

Was not impressed to work for Canada Post. Got yelled at by coworkers, every supervisor would tell you something different. Lots of drama and people talking behind everyone’s back. So disorganized over Christmas even though they deal with it every year. Did not feel safe being who I am as a person. If you want a pension and can work the worst hours than go for it but it was not worth it for my mental health.

co-worker are fun to work with

Working at Canada Post is really enjoyable when work is available. The hourly pay is great, and union is awesome. However, it's hard to advance out of casual as it's all seniority based, and there aren't a ton of positions that open up. Can go long weeks- months without a call in the slow season with low seniority.

Stressful. Very Stressful.

I’ve been with CPC for a few years now and worked with many people in many offices. The people IN office (for the most part) are great. We become little weird families and take care of each other because the company does not. Not those of us who do the grunt work. I work in the retail part so I am the face of the company. I’m the one that customers come to, whether it be problems - which they usually blame me for - or to send something. Up above myself and my colleagues in the corporate areas they get bonuses, work from home, best of the best tech, etc. What do we get - the ones that actually could use the tech? Nothing. Refurbished printers older than me, a ‘new’ system that was NOT ready to be launched and an absolutely useless helpline. The only reason I give it two star - and even then it’s hard - is because of the amount of hrs I am required to work vs the amount of benefits I’m entitled to and receive. The benefits are good. HOWEVER, they purposely split the different positions so that ONLY post masters basically get the dental coverage. Like literally by 45 mins or an hour do my colleagues and myself miss out on dental. AND IT IS DONE PURPOSELY SO THAT THEY DONT HAVE TO PAY OUT.

Good

Great place to work but takes very long to get full time or part time position. Good if your young looking for a side job for extra money. I suggest applying

Postal Clerk

Postal Clerk for over 3 years. Easy and simple. Sorting all parcels and package, and not a fast pace, but take a easy and do a good job. Also sort the envelope

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Take long time to be hired

Above industry wage but no career progress.

If you want to remain where you are for the rest of your life and guaranteed job security, this is the place for you. No career advancement unless you 'belong' or know someone in upper management.

Pros

Nice place to work if you're with the right team ..or people.

Cons

The pay and benefit is great. The union is useless and not worth the amount deducted. Unfortunately, the two major minority groups are ra ...t and think the organization belongs to them.

Not my favourite job

I only worked at CP for a few weeks to do the training and then a few shifts here & there as on call casual. It's notoriously hard to get a permanent position and the work is difficult. So many procedures and protocols to follow I couldn't remember many things after training as you use them so infrequently and work so little after getting hired.

Pros

Decent benefits

Cons

Low pay and difficult work

Amazing

Great place to work at. Although things can be fast paced , Canada post is a great employer. I very much enjoyed it. Only con is short hours as postal clerk

Fun to work if you are a good crew or shift.

There advantages and disadvantages on a unionized company, workers tend to get lazy and complains all the time. They want you to work according to their pace which I hate most of the time.

Seniority rules, terrible management, poor communication/consultations. Great place after many years of seniority.

You're just a number, tada! You will be used like a dog but over time your seniority will bring all you want after many years. Vacations are based on seniority and there are cut-offs. Took 22 years of seniority to finally take any week of vacation. Must stay for career to enjoy fruits of labor.Pros: Salary/Benefits, Prestige, Camaraderie and Collective Agreement (Worker rights, pay scale)Cons: Management especially Staff movement, lack of communication/consultation, lack of hours for new workers, poor work life balance for those with less seniority. Workplace politics (can be supervisors looking to prove themselves and delegate you and everyone to the latrine pit). Constant changes to depots/plants/systems. Nothing is consistent. Old ways that didn't work will reappear again in the future thus losing money. Don't expect to remain at the same depot, there are relocations even for permanent. Postal codes are moved around. Many lazy people that drag down the team spirit/morale and push everyone else to work slower. Supervisors have their favorites and give free passes to them.

Good Paying Job

If you’re just starting out in the warehouse biz then then is a good place to start. You work in different places in the warehouse and hours are pretty flexible.

Pros

3 break times

Cons

Overnight hours

Good place to work at

Good place to work at just a bit difficult to be a permanent with seniority in it. No problem with it once you are inside, work is easy nothing too techincal about it.

Fun work place and so friendly staffs

But the schedule is not fit to everybody because of the pandemic need to divide two shifts every week . One shift come at 7.00am and the other one come at 9.00am

Disappointing work environment and employment

Despicable discrimination, discrepancies with payroll, continuous disrespecting amongst co workers. Simple honesty and respect is expected in my workplace but unfortunately is not the case

Alright place to work

The people at Canada Post were very pleasant to work with, there was a lot of workplace politics that I stay out of, but my day-to-day work experience was pleasant. There was support when needed and the supervisor made sure employees moral was up when possible

Great workplace and fantastic staff and management team. Absolutely no stress and everyone is helpful and amazing to work with.

I was hired as a casual employee for a seasonal contract. I absolutely loved working as a Postal Clerk. It was physical work, but not a heavy laborious job. It was just enough to keep you moving and stay active. Even though it was night shift, I enjoyed doing the work as it was honestly such a pleasant working environment. It kept me going and it was actually fun! I would love to go back and work there again!

Pros

Great working environment. Helpful and nice people to work with. Unionized, The management team shows a great concern for their employees.

Cons

Hard to become a permanent employee takes a while to get within the company as a permanent employee

As an on-call temp, AT THE SORTING WAREHOUSE, you really need a 2nd job.

During Christmas season you can expect to get 30 - 36 hours a week. Around mid February it's dropped to 8 - 12 hours a week. One thing I've noticed that bothers me is that part-timers, even permanent, get less fair treatment than full-timers. The union is supposed to support all their workers but is biased towards full-timers. They always offer them the over time over part-timers which is unfair. Permanent employees should be treated equally. It's hard to get in to Canada Post but once you do I hear it's very easy to stay. Good pay and benefits. Full-timers are guaranteed 40hrs a week. Part-timers are supposed to get around 20 but have had permanents tell me they only get the bare minimum during the slower times (8hrs). It takes a long time to get permanent - about 2 years at the current rate. They used to have more part-time positions but now only seem to have part-time clerks, at the sorting warehouse, during the 8am - 4pm shift time. Long time workers can be annoying at times when telling you what to do.

Pros

Nice coworkers, pay is above minimum wage.

Cons

Union Bias. Hard to get permanent. Temp/part-time is not enough, need a second job. Only one part-time position available. Lack of communication with temps/on calls.

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement