Canada Post logo
Happiness score is 72 out of 100Above average

Canada Post Employee Reviews for Mail Handler

3.7Pay & benefits

Found 2 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,797 reviews

Load and unload trucks, manually sort and cull mail, Dispatch and Recieve Highway Service Trucks.

I was a Mail Handler/Dispatcher for 30 years. These jobs overlapped, but the Dispatcher Job stayed on the loading dock more.I loaded and unloaded Hwy Service trucks, small cube vans, etc. I could dump and cull bags of mostly publications, weigh in all types of mail and record info. Sort parcels for final delivery. Dump raw mail (from mailboxes) on a conveyor belt. Dispatch and Receive Hwy Services trucks by filling out the relevant forms both manually and entering into the computer. As a Dispatcher I would also assign duties to Mail Handlers. As a Dispatcher I would decide what got the priority and what order on the truck the mail would be loaded. Occasionally I would have to contact the Control Centre in London, On., if there was a problem regarding one of the Hwy Services, whether regularly scheduled or an overload truck.

Pros

good pay and benefits, regular hours, clean work environment, good health and safety, and no lay-offs -- ever!

Cons

too many strikes, bad workplace atmosphere for too many years due to poor union - management relations, and some incompetent and sometimes just mean spirited managers.

This is a public service job

I loved working for Canada Post.I have had 48 years of working experience and over the years Canada Post was my favorite by far. Although it is not classified as an essential service, it truly is, despite today’s technology! Much of the public still depend on our service.

3.3Job security/advancement