Canada Post

Canada Post Employee Reviews for Mail Carrier

I was able to start and finish my work at my pace, but yet efficiently. This was because the volume of mail varied every day. The supervisors were very helpful in providing reflective vests and uniforms as needed.
Pros
The professionalism
Cons
The weather.
Way too heavy workload most days. Customer service is non existent based on this fact and you are forced to treat people poorly. I would avoid at all costs
Pros
Work by yourself
Cons
Long days, poor management, painfully dated technology and vehicles, on call, no benefits
You will be loaded up like a pack mule almost every day. Management will lie straight to your face. Management is not transparent in any way but they expect you to be. There is supposedly a weight limit on how much you can carry at a time, but management does not care about that. You will have many days where you cannot fit everything necessary into your bag, but you have to find a way to carry it all. I was told that it is acceptable to bring a few pieces of mail back to the depot (if you missed a few houses by accident, or something like that) but then got yelled at by management for doing so. I was on Covid leave in December of 2020 due to possible exposure while working in the main plant in Saskatoon. While on Covid leave, my supervisor would call and text almost every day to see when I would be back to work. Routes are too long, days are too heavy, and management does nothing to help alleviate this.
Pros
The work day can be done in under 8 hours, if you're fast enough and if it's a light mail day.
Cons
Management, being overworked almost every day, unappreciated and disrespected
Expectations are too high. Not a job for anyone with a family. Little support for the volume of work. Routes are too long. There needs to be a better way of dividing mail and parcels. No overtime paid. Very little support. If hired as a temp, you will be bounced around everywhere. Full timers off on vacation will leave all their work for temp to pick up.
Cons
Long hours, working in all types of weather, Routes are too long, no overtime.
Great environment to work in. Fast paced, shifts go by fast! Fellow employees are always friendly and welcoming. If you are ever overwhelmed some one will always be there to help.
you start as a temp, the only way to become full time is to seek out where in Canada you can transfer to that may have a better opportunity to obtain full timeif a full time position becomes available anyone from anywhere in Canada can transfer in and take itTemps don't get benefits, pension, but are relied on just as much as full timeyou get bumped around and can go weeks or months without work
Pros
pay is ok
Cons
can go many years before getting a perm position
Good company to workand helpful staff manager and supervisor are great. Timing are great . Work culuture is very good . I like working there . I recomend people who is lokking for job .
It ok. Salary it good processing fromDay 1 to now have been very long. You have to be patient to have a part-time Position or a Permanent position they dont give a lot of hours
Pros
Good perk.
Cons
Some Staff are mean and Disrespectful. Dont respect the rules and dont care.
Depending on the manager on, things are organized and I get my excersize. The pay is a bit low, it can be a bit stressful for 21 per hour. Hoping to advance to ft soon.
This company takes advantage of their employees, has a horrible work culture and hires anybody that applies. Management treats you like an animal and the union doesn't really help either. It's all smoke and mirrors with this place.
Pros
Cons
No breaks, poor management, lack of advancement
I loved working in Hamilton, they were understanding and flexible. Cambridge - Galt was worse, with one new manager not understanding her employee's needs and how to retain talent. You get trucks in Hamilton, which makes winter easier, but Cambridge is walking only, so pretty terrible in - 20 degree weather.
Pros
By yourself a lot, lots of outdoors and exercise
Cons
Cold weather, walking routes are very hard, management
I liked working for Canada post unfortunately I was only a person to take over for people when they needed time off or was sick so there wasn’t enough hours for me but if I could get a full time job with them I would take it
Pros
Every good pay
Cons
Driving all day and sometimes not getting home until late
At first I was excited to work at Canada Post. I'll make a difference I told myself. Boy was I wrong! You come in as a temporary relief carrier. Good luck being full-time permanent as that means they would have to pay you benefits, can't have that! It means you are at the bottom of the barrel. Working outside isn't the issue it's actually a relief being outside away from the depot. Experienced carriers will keep being surprised that you're staying and will tell you. Wear and tear of your body will come quickly. Many older carriers all have some form of injury or surgery that needed to be done related to the job. During the holidays, expect to be the biggest mule in North America. Some routes are very heavy on parcels and packets. Expect to walk at minimum 20+kms per day. Same goes for junk mails...ops, I meant flyers or neighborhood mail. Some routes will have 3-4 of them. Others will have 8 to 12 of them. Management is hit or miss, literally. They might give you the almighty speeches about caring about you and your safety, but they care more about the bottom line than you the employee lining their pockets. I used to hear this joke about how their step vans were held together by gum and tape...it's not a joke in actuality because they are in the inside. The union doesn't give 2 cents as long their overloads are with them. Company is ran like it's the 60's...
Pros
working outside
Cons
management, useless union, no modern equipment for carriers or vehicles
Working at Canada Post was the most stressful job I had in MANY years. - the work is physically demanding - and that part was great - wonderful way to get in shape walking if you are a Letter Carrier. Now the bulk of the manual sorting is done - so perhaps that means that the worker can spend LESS time IN the office / Delivery Centre. STAY AWAY FROM MANAGEMENT.In my opinion - Management or lack of effective management is THE problem at Canada Post. I met and was honoured to work with many hard-working people who knew how to move mail. But they all worked overnight shifts - - and they did this by choice - because that is where all the brand new supervisors and managers get sent - so the long-term workers go there for less hassle. THEY teach the supervisors who are smart enough to learn.MOST of the supervisors and managers are so negative they are caustic. They make a physically demanding job that CAN be fun - dangerous. In My Opinion Supervisors who regularly coerced workers back to duty before they had properly-recovered from injuries - is why my body still aches needlessly today. The act of dealing with the weather, customers and physically delivering the mail - - is nothing - compared to the joke of trying to work for the current management. They manage - by disciplinary action. Or that was my overall experience after almost ten years as both a driver of all sizes of vehicles and as a Letter Carrier in Depots in more than one province.
Pros
You get great exercise if you want it - and you get to go home at night.
Cons
Terrible Management and high risk of damage to your body: if not acute, by injury, long-term damage to joints, like arthritis, is VERY likely.
One of the most difficult jobs you can do. The workload is overwhelmingly heavy. Be prepared to walk over 100kms a week your feet will have blisters the 2nd day on your job. The people are toxic, and the management doesnt care about anybody aslong as they have the easy job sitting at the desk all day. Taxes and the amount of deductions from your paycheck are very high. Overall not a very good environment very stressful.
Pros
Pay is decent buy your really working for it
Cons
Stressful, physically and emotionally exhausting, feeling overwhelmed everyday, taxes and deductions are high, toxic environment, employees are rude, very undervalued, no respect for essential workers, can never trust anybody in this compnay.
I attended Letter Carrier Training. The classroom learning is risible, the management mendacious. The deliveries are better, room for improvement is required. An overhaul of the organization is evident.
Pros
Outdoors
Cons
High Union fees. Good company for long term stability. Start as a temp on call could take years before you get offered a permanent position. Extremely hard work. Walking in all weather while carrying heavy bags. Not for someone thinking it will be easy job to do. It's not. After 2 weeks of in class training which is basically watching videos and exams. You get 1 week on the job training. You think your good to go after until you get thrown in to a route on your own that's very hard to get all complete in time before your 8 hour shift ends. Also there is a mail sorting test at the end of all training. Needs 98% accuracy and if not passed you don't get the job. Also a fitness test is required. This involves walking up and down stairs and all around the room while carrying up to 50lbs. This just determins if your fit enough for the job.
After all the time from phone interview to finally training it was long process. Then once hired and Christmas was over - there was NO work to be had. Horrible to do all that work then get no hours. Not good security when providing for a family. Very disappointed with the end result of being hired but not get any hours
Pros
Wage is fair
Cons
No hours available for new hires
The culture at CPC is akin to “dog eat dog”. Management seems to go out of their way to try and break new hires. They spend a lot of time nit-picking instead of trying to work with you.
Pros
Short days are possible
Cons
Long hours, poor management attitude
Great place to work. Supervisors are great. Workload can become overwhelming at times. Good workplace atmosphere to be around and best of all you will work alone when on a route and that makes for a nice day in my opinion.
Pros
Independent workdays
Cons
Low pay
I love my job Working for Canada post has changed my life I went from working dead end factory jobs to having a career. The work life balance is sometimes more work then life especially in peak seasons such as holidays. This job is for anyone that enjoys working alone but also working with the public.You have to be self motivated and prepared to walk I take between 40 and 50 thousand steps a day while carrying upwards of 35-50 pounds on your body.
Pros
Benefits, good pay, fast paced, no time to be bored
Cons
Can be very time consuming when you first start