Canada Post

Delivery Driver86 reviews
Canada86 reviews

Found 86 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,998 reviews
parcelpostmaillettercarrierroutesortingunion

Good place decent people Pay could be more, but that’s the same everywhere. Only regret I have is accepting depot work, as soon as you do that they will try to take advantage.

Toxic management

Being a letter carrier is extremely demanding physically and it’s a fast paced environment. Inside work is shift work. It will take years to move from a casual position the permanent part time. Extra hours are available.

Benefits

Cons

Physically demanding

Insights into Canada Post

• Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Dont

Apply to anywhere else, toxic environment with hostile management and coworkers. Do t have a schedule and they think they own your time. If they call you at 6am to do a route that starts at 6 am you're already screwed for the day

Poor place to work for ambitious people.

Poor place to work with very little job satisfaction. The management does not understand the true essence of what the company is supposed to deliver to the public in terms of a user experience.

Pros

Short days. Excellent exercise.

Cons

Low pay poor management.

Stick with it, it gets better.

Overall great experience. I can't believe some of these reviews. Yes, sometimes the mail loads increase and you have longer days, but mostly if you help out management, they help you. If you complain all the time or you're lazy they won't go out of their way. Certain depots do have their share of toxic people but not all are like that. Lots of friendly people. I've found that the people who are most negative complain about literally everything and would be fired in a heartbeat in a non-union job. Supervisors have one or two bad ones but that's not the majority, and you're going to get that anywhere you work. Anyone in these comments saying they didn't have enough direction obviously didn't ask - they have peer helpers, and you get supervisor cell phone numbers when you're out on the road. Lots of people to ask if you're unsure. When you're new the routes can be overwhelming, but once you get used to routes (like if you're assigned to the same one for a week or more), you can finish faster. Plenty of overtime hours if you sign up for it, and double pay if you work on a weekend, which is usually the case at Xmas time. If you're an outdoors person in decent shape, it's a great job. I quit an office job for it and I'm in the best shape of my life. It's true that the work isn't steady at the beginning, so if you can hold a weekend job until you get more seniority, that's a plus (lots of people quit because it's hard though so you move up fast if you can stick with it).

Pros

Good pay, benefits, union protection

Cons

Sometimes long hours, confusing at first, a few bad apples

Know the union guidelines, do the work and maintain a healthy lifestyle

Long days and evenings in the sun and in the dark. Regardless of opinion and experience, it's a good job to have. You're experience there (like at any other job) depends on your willingness and dedication to work and adapt the environment. It's hard work. But it's good work and it can be worth it for the long run. Some days will be long, some wont, some days you'll have a lot of mail or parcels or both, some days not so much. Roll with it. you gotta be disciplined and keep a HEALTHY LIFESTYLE. Be proactive, and enjoy the little things like conversations with customers and strangers buying or offering you food and water on hot summer days. Communicate but don't complain too much. Don't worry too much about the money. Probably most important, work safely for yourself and others.

Pros

Positive pay, benefits, sometimes free donuts

Cons

Not exactly cons just things to be aware of: Long hours, heavy deliveries, sometimes dogs, sometimes people (customers)

Fast paced environment and must be adaptable to changes constantly

My 28 years with Canada Post allowed me to grow due to the various positions I had the privilege of holding.The best part of my positions was having the ability to work directly with many people, be hands on with my work and learn different facets of the company.

Fast paced workplace with support from management

Working as a Letter Carrier at Canada Post is a great job. You work at your own pace and are paid a fair wage. When I started I struggled with the different routes I worked as I was new to the city. But management supported me and helped me get the hang of the job. Support from your fellow colleagues is more hit and miss. While almost all my colleagues have a generous and supportive nature, as a Letter Carrier, you are more out on your own. Easy to get time off and opportunities throughout the year to earn overtime. The weather can be daunting but proper dress and attitude make all the difference.

Pros

Get to set your own pace - strong sense of accomplishment when route is finished

Cons

Some days have more mail/parcels making things a bit stressful (but I'm still new)

No respect for their employees

Just started my training with Canada Post in June as a delivery agent. You are told that you will be on call for delivery agents routes. However, they dont have routes for you and you are told to work night shifts as a clerk (processing parcels). When they call you on the phone, they have no respect for you if you refuse to go in an other warehouse (wich you are allowed to do) and they hang up the phone. However, the pay is the only positive point if you need money now in the meantime.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Night work shift, no respect, rude colleagues

If one can work at Canada Post, one can and should, work Anywhere !

Company exists in-spite of itself. Uneducated with Ignorance is a promotable, Quality. Thus ensuring one is not a threat to chain of indifference. The preverible carrot will always be dangling in your sight, it is more like the poisoned apple.

Pros

Government job, opens trap door to lesser careers

Cons

Organization

I am amazed anyone receives anything.

Union dues are ridiculous in Vancouver with little to no support. The constant strike votes, lack of contract, 6 different unions in one company make for an absolutely miserable environment. Oh and the constant changing of ways of delivering the mail. My route went from 900 points of call to 1800 points of call - with over 24 walking kms. Inluding mail don't forget now you are delivery flyers - where you have to sort after your shift. After 3 years my body broke down, my mind broke down, still didn't have a contract...I saw fist fights inside depots, every day people breaking down and crying. It changed me forever. Avoid at all costs.

Delivery

Shorting of mail. Making sure everything is there proper box. Getting parcels making sure address are right. Going to people doors. You work by yourself

Horrible place to work

Management are the absolute worst human beings there are only a few that really care the rest are heartless. If they just actually stopped bullying people and actually cared about the training of the temporary workers they would stay alot longer .

Good and bad!

If you pass the physical exam you start off on call, no guarantee of hours, at around $19/hr. After accumulating required hours and bidding you can achieve a permanent position and make $27/hr. It's not an easy job, it's tough on the body for some, but with seniority brings the chance of getting a better route. It's fast paced and some days are better than others. absolutely

Fast paced competitive place to work

a fast paced environment. Good for young individuals looking to develop a long term career. Good benefits as well. Job security is crucial and is a unionized job

Hard work, bad management, GREAT CO-WORKERS

The job is very fast paced and involved. And you need to be physically fit to a degree to even start here. And that’s just inside. Outside you represent a large corporation and do your diligence and that’s not always a bad thing. You do get sense of pride! And the co-workers are some of the best people I’m met on this planet!

Challenging but Fun if you like outdoors

Summer work is best,winter time is very challenging,time goes fast,hardest part is Monday for letter carriers...You have to have good seniority to bid on good route and vacation spots.If you like to be outside and lots of energy then this might work out for you..lots of overtime.

Concerns Unadressed. Problems Continue.

The incompetence starts at the top! If we were manufacturing automobiles there would be carnage all over the roads. The blueprint is ridiculously flawed. It just doesn't work.

Need more money for so much work

With all the mail, flyers, packets, parcels and oversized items to be delivered increases ones risk of injuries. Also working outside and being at the mercy of the weather everyday should be considered and we should have more personal days to recoup. Some ppl have to have a second job because the income is not sufficient enough. For a federal entity to cap out at $27 is an insult

Could not coordinate with child care.

After completing the letter carrier training you are put on a call list. and unless it is a busy season the call can be very few and far between. When I did get job calls they tended to be either very late or very early starts. This did not work well with child care.

no job security

got hired for a casual job, no work for 2 months, and when they call you for one day for the month, you end up getting paid $3 net after cpp ei and after taxes. most of your pay for that one day goes to union dues. So no matter how many hours you work, if you worked at least one day, you still have to pay full amount for union dues.

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement