Canada Post

Canada Post Employee Reviews for Contractor

great job. Sort mail etc. go out and deliver it. Love being alone. Get to meet alot of very nice people and dogs. Get to see alot of wild life at the same time. It feels like you are Santa Claus every day of the year.
Worked as a rural contractor/sub-contractor, sorting & delivering mail & parcels to cmb modules (postal boxes) and parcel delivery to the door. The pay is decent, however they do NOT take any deductions off your pay, so unless you have many deductions, you will end up having to pay the government HUGE income tax. Because I functioned as a fill-in (sub-contractor) for the contractor of the route, I was not entitled to any of the union benefits or perks, nor did I acquire any seniority, which made it difficult to apply for any other job postings from within, or have any chance of retaining my job when the contractor of the route retires. The job itself is okay, but it’s ridiculous that a crown corporation treats its personnel so unfairly, and although I was doing the exact job as the contractor, I was paid differently and without the same perks/benefits. This is a busy job position with many hoops to jump through, too many politics and shoddy treatment from the general public (due to misinformation on the part of Canada post and retailers). To anyone who thinks this job would be easy, I say RUN....IT ISN’T WORTH IT.
Pros
Working outside
Cons
Working outside, unfair treatment from company as well as general public
Worked for Canada Post as a contractor for almost 3full years everyday route came up for full time job,wasn’t even gave an interview they hired someone that had no experience because the person hired was known to someone they knew,hows that fair hiring practices.
I worked as a contractor for over 4 years trying to get on full time but was passed up for 5 positions, they kept saying you can still be a contractor... I worked in 6 different post office and all 6 office did things their own way. I even tought some of the actual employees how to do their job properly. I find it absurd that canada post keep hiring people that have never worked a day there instead of promoting the contractor that is looking for a permanent position. Maybe I was in the wrong province but mind blowing, I even had to train the new hires on how to do the job I had been doing for three months with no complaint. I also became that drivers back up driver and then he went on maternity leave, and I came back as a contractor for seven months during Christmas and all that fun. He returned to work for two months in the summer, the easy months, and then quit, I was then asked to return and I did, and the job was given to someone else. So in the long run, I feel I wasted 4 years of my life for a corporation that didn't care about my performance and hard work, so if you like working for a corporation that doesn't care what you do, or how hard you work and are happy being on call, This is the job for you, The pay is great but the fact that I had no opportunity to get a job with the corporation was a big waste of time...I should have just waited for a job opportunity and applied. Apparently knowing the route and how the day to day schedule and how to use the pdt is not even important in the hiring process . Seriously I had almost 300 customers, and knew them all by name, I - more...
Pros
money, work life balance
Cons
No chance of advancement
good employer, clear job description, and fair wages. The employer was willing to provide flexible hours to accommodate my schedule. I would recommend this employer.
It is convenient and you can work at your own pace. Lots of outdoors and interaction with others. I choose when to work, and its an independent job...
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the co-workers in the morning, till I'm ready to hit out to deliver the mail....Then you mean nice customers on the routes that I cover saying have a good day....or your doing a good job.....
Very nice thought I am only am able to work when the main workers take days off I found it enjoyable. I would for the most part work on sorting mail and deliver on the behave of the person I came in for.
My mother had been working for Canada Post almost my entire life, at first as a contractor until in 2004 RSMCs were made employees of Canada Post. Security regulations were put in place and RSMCs now needed assistants to deliver because they were no longer aloud to drive against traffic, and the Ergonomic assistant position was born. My mother automatically got me security cleared so I could become her helper. I also eventually took on another route as well, both carriers had to make it so they could line up well enough to trade me off which made it a little interesting at times. I enjoyed the environment of working out in the country and delivering to all of the country homes. You get to know customers and learn new ways to make the work more enjoyable.
Pros
being in the country, listening to music while working
Really enjoyed arriving to work in the morning great co workers, friendly environment . Enjoyed my work on the road dealing with customers. Sometimes could run into some bad weather, but if u take your time all would be good.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Bad weather
I got to spend my mornings working with people and the rest of the day on my own. The harder and faster I worked, the sooner I got home.
Pros
work independentley
Cons
christmas rush. road conditions
A typical day at work would include sorting and distributing letter mail and parcel packages. Would deliver the mail to all customers on rural routes. While working with Canada Post I learned how to work under pressure and show complete focus, I learned how to work well with Customers, most importantly learned how to be dedicated. In terms of management, I found the managers at Canada Post to be professional, understanding, helpful and dedicated to their jobs and employees. My co-workers were nothing but friendly and helpful with things on and off the job. I was able to form friendships that remain intact with people I had the pleasure of working with there. The hardest part of the job would have to be the weather conditions at times. Because I delivered to rural area customers, the road conditions could be somewhat frightening at times. The most enjoyable part of the job would have to be the people I got to work with and meet, and the atmosphere of the workplace.
I sort the mail and package , Deliver the package and the mail ,Collect the mail take to the office
A typical day at work starts around 6:30 with the sortation and organization of the mail and parcels. we get the keys for the community mail recepticals at 8:30. we load our vehicles and head out and deliver to c.m.b.s as well as road side mail boxes. when completed we return the sorting station to return keys and upload any scanned information.The work has slowed down for the contractors {such as myself} to the point of looking for differant employment Its been a fun and interesting job and I hate to see it go,but thats the way corperations are going these days.
Pros
Its great being outside for most of the day, making your own decisions
Cons
Its not so great when it snows or pours rain.
A typical day at work would maybe involve sorting mail,collection of mail,C.O.D's,delivery of mail,scanning parcels for delivery or pick up. Hardest part of the job was there wasn't any set hours,so you had no idea when your day would start and end.Most enjoyable was a small office with only 5 employees there at a time.
Pros
weekends, government holidays off, pleasant co-workers, small rural area so easy to get to know the customers
Cons
no benefits, low pay rate, travelling in bad weather
really good place to work good people to work with mangment is great.....
i rather enjoy my job at Canada Post as an RSMC. I get to interact with friendly people both in the office and out on route. I have learned a great deal about organization as well as improved my driving skills. though i also work well in a team environment, i enjoy the more or less independence i have as an RSMC knowing the support is there if i need it
Pros
independence, weekends off, good amount of physical labor
Cons
heavy rain days require multiple changes of clothes
Sorted and Delivered Mail to Rural Route Boxes.Delivered Priority Post Mail