Canada Post logo
Canada Post

Canada Post Employee Reviews in Surrey, BC

Work-life balance

Found 8 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,784 reviews

Long process and hard work

High Union fees. Good company for long term stability. Start as a temp on call could take years before you get offered a permanent position. Extremely hard work. Walking in all weather while carrying heavy bags. Not for someone thinking it will be easy job to do. It's not. After 2 weeks of in class training which is basically watching videos and exams. You get 1 week on the job training. You think your good to go after until you get thrown in to a route on your own that's very hard to get all complete in time before your 8 hour shift ends. Also there is a mail sorting test at the end of all training. Needs 98% accuracy and if not passed you don't get the job. Also a fitness test is required. This involves walking up and down stairs and all around the room while carrying up to 50lbs. This just determins if your fit enough for the job.

Avoid unless you're a mule

At first I was excited to work at Canada Post. I'll make a difference I told myself. Boy was I wrong! You come in as a temporary relief carrier. Good luck being full-time permanent as that means they would have to pay you benefits, can't have that! It means you are at the bottom of the barrel. Working outside isn't the issue it's actually a relief being outside away from the depot. Experienced carriers will keep being surprised that you're staying and will tell you. Wear and tear of your body will come quickly. Many older carriers all have some form of injury or surgery that needed to be done related to the job. During the holidays, expect to be the biggest mule in North America. Some routes are very heavy on parcels and packets. Expect to walk at minimum 20+kms per day. Same goes for junk mails...ops, I meant flyers or neighborhood mail. Some routes will have 3-4 of them. Others will have 8 to 12 of them. Management is hit or miss, literally. They might give you the almighty speeches about caring about you and your safety, but they care more about the bottom line than you the employee lining their pockets. I used to hear this joke about how their step vans were held together by gum and tape...it's not a joke in actuality because they are in the inside. The union doesn't give 2 cents as long their overloads are with them. Company is ran like it's the 60's...

Pros

working outside

Cons

management, useless union, no modern equipment for carriers or vehicles

great place to work until the new canada post started in 2010 or so where the routes were doubled and the work load was almost unbareable

great benefits and awesome peoplebarb-b-q benefit lunches and awards for reduced sick timelots of safety provided equipment as in vests/dog spray/sunscreen and yearly driving tests both written and driven

Pros

your own boss-fresh air

Cons

rain-dogs-rain

Each depot is world unto its own, ranging from relaxed to micromanaged

I was a letter carrier for 30 years. The job went from a fast paced get done and be home by noon to a full 8 hour job. I was never hard just the days got longer with the lengthening of routes and the increase in parcels. Sortation used to be the defining factor, if you were good at it you could be in and out in a fairly short time. Now it is sequenced mail, two handfuls while delivering and a multitude of parcels. If you expect to go for a walk meet people and get paid for exercise forget it. You had better able to work quickly and be organized or your experience will be hellish.

Stressful and unforgiving

As a new on call postal carrier you are at first expected to sort and deliver in new areas and are constantly being challenged to be as fast as carriers that have been doing the same route for years. This is it in a nutshell ; I was sick with a bad cold one day but still showed up to work and did my best. I was followed on my route by the depot manager. The first thing I was asked the next day was “why were you so slow yesterday?”

Hard but a fun place to work

Like every workplace, it has its pros and cons so Canada post was nonetheless. I had a fun time working and gained a lot of experience. It was a splendid time working at Canada Post

Pros

Manager level

Cons

Not many flexable hours

Great compensation and benefits

This career is perfect for someone in great shape, who has a great attitude and the ability to learn in a quick and fast paced environment. I felt that my educational background and people skills were not able to be utilized as most work was done individually or with very small groups. I was the youngest person in most depots and that had its pros and cons. i was transferred to canada post in BC and enjoyed the experience although i was needed at home in Brampton due to family obligations. So now looking for employment here closer to home.

Pros

great exercise while working

Cons

low senority

work place has positive atmosphere

Company is great to work,has good benefit plan and job security.I have almost reached to the highest level in my position and hence there is no more room to grow, therefore need change to grow up to higher level and make more money. I am very good in customer relations,hard working and do not fear to work any number of hours.I am very sincere and hard working and punctual in time.

Jobs at Canada Post